• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Nizz

aku:jiki said:
And to clarify even further, "lift your guns" means hip fire, not ADS. Lightweight has no effect on ADS at all.

I don't see the benefit of using it, personally, except on a class with akimbo weapons (and I don't use those except for Rangers).
I used to use Lightweight when I played at 3 sens, I liked the quicker reaction. But since I raised my sens to 4 (high), I no longer feel the need to use it.

And last night, I made a "Ninja" loadout that I love. Silenced MP5K, Ninja Pro, Marathon Pro, and Stopping Power Pro. Gonna trade out the M1014 shotty for a silenced G18. Hardly used the MP5K before but that loadout is a lot of fun. :D

I might also trade out Stopping Power for Cold Blooded for the ideal stealth setup. I'm in love.

aku:jiki

fps fanatic said:
I used to use Lightweight when I played at 3 sens, I liked the quicker reaction. But since I raised my sens to 4 (high), I no longer feel the need to use it.
I play on 4 or 5 (can't remember) so that was never what I use it for. It's all about getting into their spawn before they know what's up!

fps fanatic said:
Gonna trade out the M1014 shotty for a silenced G18.
I've been meaning to replace my secondary shotguns with machine pistols for a while now but keep forgetting, thanks for the reminder! :D

The PP2000 and TMP really are underrated gems. Or, well, I see them on the ground a lot but they never get talked about... G18 is awesomely fun, but in my opinion it's less versatile than the other two.

Fugu said:
I play on PC. I have played on 360 the same way but not much because I can't stand controllers for FPSes.

I can still record myself playing but I don't think you care now.

That sucks. Is there aim assist on PC at all?

todahawk

I need to hang a big freaking sign on my TV that says SLOW DOWN.

For some reason when I play MW2 I start off running around like a crazy man and die. Then I realize I'm blindly charging and slow down and start to actually do well. I guess I get too ramped up or something...

divisionbyzorro said:
G18 akimbo + Steady Aim is ridiculously good.
It is, but only in close range. At least I have too much trouble aiming akimbo weapons any further than like 10 feet for it to be useful, though.

Ok so my Live was expired but I renewed. Website now says I am gold and good. Yet MW2 says my profile cannot play online.

But, if I load up Bioshock 2, I can play MP just fine. Also, party invites work when MW2 is not being played, but if I let MW2 load and then try to invite someone to a party, it tells me I need gold.

W T F

Le-mo

So I had the chance to play this game at a friend's house yesterday. We were playing split-screen special op and the first thing that I noticed was how TERRIBLE the graphics was. We were snipers in this snow level. Is the rest of the game graphic's this bad?

ultim8p00

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
Why someone would be using Lightweight and not Marathon is beyond me. Some people are so silly.

Because marathon is almost useless with an SMG. You have infinite sprint...yay? You'll just get shot running around. Lightweight makes you faster. You can already run for a pretty long time with an SMG class.

Aselith

Le-mo said:
So I had the chance to play this game at a friend's house yesterday. We were playing split-screen special op and the first thing that I noticed was how TERRIBLE the graphics was. We were snipers in this snow level. Is the rest of the game graphic's this bad?

Probably the worst this generation.

Aselith said:
What the fuck is he even talking about? Did something change in the last patch? I've seen no big changes.

I hate the way Tycho writes. It's like he's fellating himself with his own words. I think what he's trying to say is that the game was so broken, that by the time the patch hit, everyone was too turned off by the game to go back.

Fina1e

Le-mo said:

the fuck?

careful

It is, but only in close range. At least I have too much trouble aiming akimbo weapons any further than like 10 feet for it to be useful, though.
Akimbo G18 is one of those special anomaly cases though. The reticule spread is the same as non-akimbo G18, whereas for other guns the spread always becomes larger in akimbo.
Slap a Steady Aim on it and the spread becomes really tight. Close range, it's probably the deadliest weapon after shotguns, but you have the benefit of spraying massive amounts of bullets for crazy multikills.

jiien

Le-mo said:

No. I think the graphics are severely toned down because of the split-screen. At least, that's what it seemed like to me.

Hyunkel6

Just went 30-2 on skidrow with the knifing class, with UAV, counter UAV and harrier. :D
Knowing the spawn points makes a huge difference.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
johnFkennedy said:
I hate the way Tycho writes. It's like he's fellating himself with his own words. I think what he's trying to say is that the game was so broken, that by the time the patch hit, everyone was too turned off by the game to go back.

Yeah, I have no idea what the hell he's saying. :lol

mr_boo

@ Fugu - took some of your advice on SMGs and I've replaced the UMP for MU and replaced CB for SP. So far so good for MU - with SP, you're pretty much guaranteed to put them down. I'll have to run UMP with SP later on when I have time to see how that goes.

Fugu said:
By using a perk that complements your playstyle, you will invariably get more kills. Equipping hardline means the odds against you are stacked if your opponent is using a perk that makes them more deadly, meaning you have to work harder and/or play more carefully to get those two kills in the first place.
Though I know what you're trying to say, that's not 100% true. The FAL which is the only gun I use w Hardline hangs in there solidly against AR w SP. The only problem I have with the FAL is in Terminal where target traffic is pretty high - in the case that it's Terminal and I'm using an AR, I'll typically go with the FAMAS w SP. Just my 2 cents (no argumentative tone).

Been running the ACR lately with SP and I have to say it's been lackluster. The low base damage is a bit frustrating - I find myself losing a lot of straight up fights. Perhaps I'm playing it wrong - currently using the Holographic Sight....I suspect most of the ACR users go with Silencer?

Fugu

Mr. B Natural said:
That sucks. Is there aim assist on PC at all?
None. You have to actually, like, aim by yourself and stuff. Incredible, I know.

Also, 1600x1200.

mr_boo said:
@ Fugu - took some of your advice on SMGs and I've replaced the UMP for MU and replaced CB for SP. So far so good for MU - with SP, you're pretty much guaranteed to put them down. I'll have to run UMP with SP later on when I have time to see how that goes.

Though I know what you're trying to say, that's not 100% true. The FAL which is the only gun I use w Hardline hangs in there solidly against AR w SP. The only problem I have with the FAL is in Terminal where target traffic is pretty high - in the case that it's Terminal and I'm using an AR, I'll typically go with the FAMAS w SP. Just my 2 cents (no argumentative tone).

Been running the ACR lately with SP and I have to say it's been lackluster. The low base damage is a bit frustrating - I find myself losing a lot of straight up fights. Perhaps I'm playing it wrong - currently using the Holographic Sight....I suspect most of the ACR users go with Silencer?
Just thought I'd mention, FAL is bugged with the holo to do 40-55 instead of 35-55, which combines with stopping power to make the FAL a two hit kill everywhere at every range.

EDIT: For the love of god do not put a silencer on the ACR. You are going to have a hard time winning close-range fights with the ACR because it fires very slowly and doesn't deal a lot of damage, meaning you should find a secondary that you can use at close range. I use an ACOG, btw.

careful said:
Akimbo G18 is one of those special anomaly cases though. The reticule spread is the same as non-akimbo G18, whereas for other guns the spread always becomes larger in akimbo.
Slap a Steady Aim on it and the spread becomes really tight. Close range, it's probably the deadliest weapon after shotguns, but you have the benefit of spraying massive amounts of bullets for crazy multikills.
The spread is actually smaller with akimbo. Bugs are fun. The G18s are a bizarre killing machine on PC.

Animator

I am sorry Lightweight haters. the %7 speed increase is the difference between gaining and knifing a guy from the back vs running with him the same speed.

There is only one useless perk in this game and it is scrambler. :lol

mr_boo

Fugu said:
Just thought I'd mention, FAL is bugged with the holo to do 40-55 instead of 35-55, which combines with stopping power to make the FAL a two hit kill everywhere at every range.
Yeah, I was cognizant of that already but thanks :D I use Holo Sight on the FAL anyways, the iron sights are THAT bad. It's a bit sad, but even my CB Kit where I'm using the FAL, I have to run with Bling (Silencer + Holo Sight) so that I can actually aim correctly.

Fugu said:
EDIT: For the love of god do not put a silencer on the ACR. You are going to have a hard time winning close-range fights with the ACR because it fires very slowly and doesn't deal a lot of damage, meaning you should find a secondary that you can use at close range.
Roger - good to know. Thanks.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Animator said:
I am sorry Lightweight haters. the %7 speed increase is the difference between gaining and knifing a guy from the back vs running with him the same speed.

There is only one useless perk in this game and it is scrambler. :lol
Once versed a whole team with Scrambler, it was pretty damn annoying.

Fugu

Try the ACOG. ACR keeps its low spread with the ACOG and it's essentially like taping a magnifying glass to your sights.

mr_boo

Fugu said:
Try the ACOG. ACR keeps its low spread with the ACOG and it's essentially like taping a magnifying glass to your sights.
Funny you mentioned that. The reason why I started toying around with the ACR last weekend was caused I picked up an ACR + ACOG and I actually thought it was pretty effective. I've been on the road of unlocking the ACOG for the ACR ever since (about less than 10 kills away). Never used ACOG much before, but I'll keep trucking along to see how it goes. Does any of y'all actually ever use the ACOG at all, with any gun?

mr_boo said:
Funny you mentioned that. The reason why I started toying around with the ACR last weekend was caused I picked up an ACR + ACOG and I actually thought it was pretty effective. I've been on the road of unlocking the ACOG for the ACR ever since (about less than 10 kills away). Never used ACOG much before, but I'll keep trucking along to see how it goes. Does any of y'all actually ever use the ACOG at all, with any gun?

I used ACR + ACOG a shit-ton during my first go-round. My staple class was actually ACR + ACOG + Akimbo G18 + Sleight of Hand Pro + Stopping Power + Steady Aim. Sometimes I would swap SoH for Scavenger, depending upon my mood. It's a great gun, and the only gun I ever liked using the ACOG on.

Fugu

mr_boo said:
The ACOG is a wreck on most guns. It's decent on the sniper rifles (on PC only. I wouldn't ever use a sniper with an ACOG on 360/PS3) and the ACR but that's about it. You can also use a MU with an ACOG but there's not much reason to.

So I decided to actually record myself playing out of curiosity... this is going to take several years to upload but once it does I'll post a link.

Jrmint

The PP2000 and TMP really are underrated gems.
So true.

As I've said a few times though, I see really no reason to use the TMP over the PP2000. By the time you get the TMP unlocked you will have all of the attachments for the PP including extended mags which makes it that much better. Maybe the TMP does slightly more damage, but the PP rapes regardless all the way to medium range with very little recoil.

I really only use it though on my sniper class, I am not sure how to really fit it in on AR or LMG classes. Do you guys think it'd do better damage up close while running than a TAR or ACR for instance?

careful

Skel said:
So true.

As I've said a few times though, I see really no reason to use the TMP over the PP2000. By the time you get the TMP unlocked you will have all of the attachments for the PP including extended mags which makes it that much better. Maybe the TMP does slightly more damage, but the PP rapes regardless all the way to medium range with very little recoil.

I really only use it though on my sniper class, I am not sure how to really fit it in on AR or LMG classes. Do you guys think it'd do better damage up close while running than a TAR or ACR for instance?
The PP does higher damage than the TMP. TMP has almost no recoil to compensate.

I like the PP as a silenced sidearm. I go SPAS/Striker for my loud classes, and PP/G18 akimbo for my silenced classes.

jiien

Skel said:
So true.

Damage wise, the Raffica and the PP2000 do more damage in range than the ACR, F2000, and M4 do in range. The TMP and Glock do the same as the three ARs I mentioned. All ARs outclass every machine pistol in range.

Machine pistols have a shorter range than ARs, and are less accurate in general. However, they reload fast and ADS fast.

I would use a machine pistol for close range over a gun like the ACR, M4 (because the machine pistols tend to have either the same or more damage per bullet, and comparable or higher rate of fire), the two burst weapons (M16, FAMAS, because if you miss that burst close range, you're screwed), and perhaps the SCAR (because it has such a low rate of fire). This would be more so if you don't have Steady Aim on. I would also use a machine pistol for close range especially if I was Akimbo-ing it. Just my opinion based on experience. Here are some numbers (all without SP, higher is in range, lower is out of it):

M4: 30-20
SCAR: 40-30
FAMAS: 40-30
M16: 40-30
ACR: 30-20
TAR-21 : 40-30
FAL: 50-35
F2000: 30-20
AK-47: 40-30

PP2000: 40-20
Glock: 30-20
Raffica: 40-30
TMP: 30-20

I would not use a machine pistol for close range in place of a TAR. That thing, especially with Steady Aim, is amazing for those types of encounters. Hip-fire with no regrets.

Man, I just played about 10 FFA games and had the 2 unluckiest games I've ever played... First one was just spawn system bullshit - every 2nd time I spawned, I could take 2 steps and was then shot in the back. Not even by campers, just by dudes running past when I spawned. The game would not relent and just made it impossible to hit a flow.

Then a little later I was kicking ass on Favela and kept the best K/D through the match, but I had trouble finding people even though I was running around and every single one of my killstreaks went without kills even though they didn't get shot down and not everybody had ColdBlooded! The Predator almost hit a guy who must have noticed and dodged it - that's actually the first time that's ever happened to me - the Harrier did get 2 in the strike but then just hovered there doing nothing and the PaveLow flew around the map forever and ever just shooting and missing. That shit's enough to make a grown man cry! :(

Skel said:
So true.

You were actually the one who told me to check out the PP so I did and, yup, it's got about the same power and killing efficiency as the TMP but with a bigger clip and more ammo. I think I prefer the sound and feel of the PP too. I really like how it can basically be used as an AR - it's like a little SMG with insane steadyness and accuracy. :D

These weapon designs are so random! The TMP feels like it was designed as a secondary kinda should be - powerful but will basically only kill one guy at a time, and comes with very little ammo, so it's only for emergencies. Then you have the Rangers that can kill like 4 guys at a time and come with enough ammo to get you a nuke...

jieen said:
I would not use a machine pistol for close range in place of a TAR.
My FFA setup is a silenced TAR and a silenced PP, and I have to strongly disagree with this. Sure, the TAR is one of the better AR's for close range hipfiring, but I can't do as consistently well when I go inside a house with it as I do with the PP. The machine pistoles just tear shit up in close range!

I'm thinking of trying a silenced SPAS instead though. Was definitely not a fan last time...

Jrmint

^Glad you like it man, I love that little thing. Can't wait to get the silver skull PP2000 title around prestige 4 or 5 :lol (up around 700 kills with it halfway through second prestige)

I will definitely try it out on my ACR classes when running from one place to another.

Veritas_

careful said:

For kicks and giggles, I played with akimbo G-18's with Scavenger, Stopping, and Steady Aim. Instead of firing both simultaneously, I would burst off one gun only at a time, so that when one went empty, I would reload and continue to fire with the other. With Scavenger and some quick feet, you essentially get infinite ammo while you run around spamming death. It was ridiculously cheap, so I gave it up after a few rounds. Was fun though.

Kibbles

Wow, Modern Warfare 2 single handily DESTROYED Xbox Live Chat Parties. I can't even remember the last time I've been in one. I used to be in them all the time.

Fugu

jiien said:
Damage wise, the Raffica and the PP2000 do more damage in range than the ACR, F2000, and M4 do in range. The TMP and Glock do the same as the three ARs I mentioned. All ARs outclass every machine pistol in range.

Machine pistols have a shorter range than ARs, and are less accurate in general. However, they reload fast and ADS fast.

I would use a machine pistol for close range over a gun like the ACR, M4 (because the machine pistols tend to have either the same or more damage per bullet, and comparable or higher rate of fire), the two burst weapons (M16, FAMAS, because if you miss that burst close range, you're screwed), and perhaps the SCAR (because it has such a low rate of fire). This would be more so if you don't have Steady Aim on. I would also use a machine pistol for close range especially if I was Akimbo-ing it. Just my opinion based on experience. Here are some numbers (all without SP, higher is in range, lower is out of it):

M4: 30-20
SCAR: 40-30
FAMAS: 40-30
M16: 40-30
ACR: 30-20
TAR-21 : 40-30
FAL: 50-35
F2000: 30-20
AK-47: 40-30

PP2000: 40-20
Glock: 30-20
Raffica: 40-30
TMP: 30-20

I would not use a machine pistol for close range in place of a TAR. That thing, especially with Steady Aim, is amazing for those types of encounters. Hip-fire with no regrets.
A better complement for the TAR would be the M93 because the M93 is more or less an M16.

rodvik

FerranMG said:
Hehe, me too.

I'm being destroyed by air support, my own footsteps distract me, and PEOPLE SEE MY FREAKING NAME IN RED WHEN THEY LOOK AT ME! :lol

man, exactly the same here. I keep thinking, "whoa someone coming...oh its me" ;>}

still no stinger yet so I basically cringe in a corner when air-support is around. So sad, I used to be somebody dammit! On the plus side UMP is available to me , so all is not lost :)

careful

Fugu said:
A better complement for the TAR would be the M93 because the M93 is more or less an M16.
I saw some kind of aim assist chart for consoles where it showed the Raffica has having the shortest distance aim assist out of all the guns. It kinda matches my experience as I thought it was pretty tough to hit mid range targets with a full three bullet burst. It would usually take me two or three bursts to down someone.

DoomGyver

After reaching level 70 a couple weeks after launch I took a break with the game. Booted it up last night and prestiged, man I already miss cold blooded so much.

I use the famas so at least I get that right away.

I really wish this game had servers... I played a few games on Live tonight with a dude who had a modded/hacked drive. He had a superfast mod running plus some sort of no-scope mod. We were all running around at super speeds on Afghan and Wasteland hip-firing Interventions and having a blast. Why couldn't these be options in the regular game? :/ The same guy, though, also hosts tenth prestige lobbies and callsign/emblem lobbies. Crazy stuff.

So... What did I just witness in this FFA match I was just in? Let me describe the situation; "Enemy care package incoming! Enemy care package incoming! Enemy care package incoming!" and I found a dude tossing a package in a corner, with a sentry gun on each side... Do not tell me this shit is back!

On the upside, I ended my night with an epic match on Wasteland. One of those I REALLY should have recorded and gotten famous on YouTube with. :lol

Entered the match when some guy already had 700 points... Started off by dying by running into a sniped headshot like an idiot, then I apparently rose fwom my gwave as an altered beast and tore shit up with quicksnipes. I ended up by the little tin shed by the helipad and I wasn't even trying to camp but every single time I popped out from the shed to see if it was clear to move, some dude would turn the corner by the hedge and get sniped. Got 11 kills in what must have been max a minute! Unfortunately I got greedy and thought I had time to win and launch the AC-130 in time for a game winning kill with it, but yeah...that wasn't happening. Did end up second with 19-1 though. :D

i_am_ben said:
i hate everyone who doesn't skip underpass!
I hate YOU! Underpass is cool. Just gotta keep in mind to hug walls when you move around. Sniping doesn't hurt. :D

I think Terminal has turned into the worst map in the game due to all the bullshit people do on it. Noobtubes, RPG's and every match has 18 knife runners. (Yes, even the biggest knifer on GAF hates it when there's a bunch of them!) I used to really like that map too. :/

Edit: Oh and I like the layout of Afghan but I've really come to despise how fucking sloppy it is. You get stuck on shit everywhere!

Xux

You're focusing too much on the number. Yes, 7% sounds pathetic in theory, but you can really feel the difference with Marathon+Lightweight+Handgun (you run even faster with those equipped).

It's just the primary that you spawn with that determines your movement speed. You can run just as fast with a SMG + launcher or by swapping out your SMG for a LMG (which was pretty fun the one time it's happened to me.)

Fugu said:
It's not even really 7% which is the best part; it makes you 7% faster than someone using the same primary weapon, which means an AR user with lightweight is still slower than an SMG user without it.

No they're not. AR with Lightweight goes 101.65% the speed of a SMG or sniper rifle without it. It's not enough to make the lower tiers faster than the ones above them, though.

I came up with some ideas to fix the noobtubing problem and posted them on IW.com, but it's just gonna be lost there so tell me what you guys think!

MYSELF! said:
1. Tweak the range, in both directions. Make the minimum travel distance longer and give it a sensible maximum distance! As it stands, you can use the GL just like you would a shotgun (only you aim at the wall behind the other player) and you can blindfire it across the map. On Invasion you can spam A spawn from C spawn very easily with it. Neither should be possible.

2. Remove direct impact. Yeah, IW, we get that you think it's hilarious, and it was hilarious in CoD4 when it only happened once in a while! In MW2, theres is a ton of players who will equip the GL immediately when they spawn and play with it exclusively. It's not so hilarious anymore.

3. Remove the ability to have a GL *and* a Thumper or RPG. The ability to become an explosion machine is just too tempting for cheap players - they think it's too much fun to pass up. A game designer should never cater to this mindset - the only person having fun is the one shooting explosions all over the map! His team is getting annoyed that he's stealing all the kills and the other team is annoyed by constantly being blown up by blindfired explosives.

4. Tweak OMA. I haven't come up with a good solution for this, but I'm thinking the idea from CoD4 was good and should've stayed - no first perk slot if you equip the GL. That would completely resolve the whole OMA-tubing issue and people would start using OMA the way it was meant to be used - to switch to different classes for different situations.

5. Blast Shield and Danger Close need to be tweaked to actually counter each other. Blast Shield does not help at all as it stands.

Xux said:
It's just the primary that you spawn with that determines your movement speed. You can run just as fast with a SMG + launcher or by swapping out your SMG for a LMG (which was pretty fun the one time it's happened to me.)
I know that's supposed to be true, but I just get places faster when I switch to my handgun+tacknife. It's what me and my friends always do when we want to win a Sabotage match in 40 seconds - switch to the handgun and mad dash for the bomb and plant it before the other team have even managed to get to their camping spots. Try it!

Top Bottom