• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Meier

divisionbyzorro said:
The dropoff depends upon what you're playing. I didn't feel much of a dropoff after playing a bunch of ME2 since the game is so different. But playing Bioshock 2 could definitely futz with your muscle memory.
I have not yet played Bioshock 2, but have been primarily playing AC2 and ME2. The main issue is you just lose that ability to quickly aim -- the twitch factor as someone else mentioned. It comes back after a day or so (from other times I've taken a break), but it really is pretty stunning how noticeable the drop off is for me.

TheGOHN

divisionbyzorro said:
I can't stand watching that guy; never seen any of his videos all the way through.

I understand what you are saying, I only posted that,,well its obvious he played a better match and got a more " legit nuke" than the other guy you were loling at.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
divisionbyzorro said:
Haha. WoR really outdid himself with cockiness in this one I just found :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfUC739VO_U

Wow, it sucks Activision pulled my Nuke video after being up for only 24 hours back on November 8th. Got 160k hits in less than a day, was truly nuts. Luckily enough tho, it spread through the internet like wildfire. Me and SandyRavage both got our videos pulled that day, I just never bothered to rehost...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOJvAD4sN-Y

Draft

itsnervedamage said:
Frustrating to you is probably glorious for the guy on the other side after all.
Part of what makes competitive online competitive online.
Exactly.
I agree, there are always frustrating mechanics in shooters. Maybe whats different about this is that it seems like lag plays a really big factor in making it extremely powerful which makes it even more frustrating.
Oh no doubt. The lag is pretty incredible. The game manages to be fun in spite of the lag, but yeah, it really does feel like a game of Duke 3D most of the time.

jedimike

tarius1210 said:
Been playing this game since it release and still have never seen a person with SitRep Pro.

I'm currently plowing through it... I'm at like 50/120. I don't know if it is the best use of my 3rd perk, but I like having it equipped. It is especially helpful in TDM because I always notify my team members where the claymores are at so they don't get killed.

However, the biggest gain comes from knowing where people are at. People usually plant claymores to guard entrances so if you see a claymore you know someone is there. 9 times out of 10 when you shoot someone's claymore, they rush out of the hole to investigate. Just sit back and wait for them.

And of course it is awesome for finding boosters. The tactical insertion lights up from across the map with sit rep.

butts

TheGOHN said:
This guy must have missed this video then,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0RH7x4A2eg

HOW. How the fuck does this guy and that Wings of Redmeption guy always get matched against these low level players? Notice how in most of the videos these guys upload it is all really low level people. It is exceedingly rare that there are more than 3 or 4 people in the entire lobby when I play that haven't prestiged yet.

Dresden

butts said:
HOW. How the fuck does this guy and that Wings of Redmeption guy always get matched against these low level players? Notice how in most of the videos these guys upload it is all really low level people. It is exceedingly rare that there are more than 3 or 4 people in the entire lobby when I play that haven't prestiged yet.
They film every match they play and only upload the decent clips? On any given day I'll have matches I go 50/5 on, followed by a bad match where I go 20/15 or something.

todahawk

butts said:

Yeah, i've noticed that on a lot of those vids, half the other team is rank 4, 11, 23... lots of low level players (not just WoR, lots of other guys).

I go through tons of matches where I'm the lowest ranked player by far (prestiged once, level 37ish).

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Dresden said:
They film every match they play and only upload the decent clips? On any given day I'll have matches I go 50/5 on, followed by a bad match where I go 20/15 or something.

That's usually how it goes, lol.

butts

Dresden said:

Of course they do, I just don't understand how they even get into these games at all. I literally haven't been in a game with this many low-level dudes since the early days.

th3dude

Anyone have any experience with a silenced FAMAS? Since I prestiged I really miss my silenced ACR with red dot and need a replacement.

sn1pes said:
Anyone have any experience with a silenced FAMAS? Since I prestiged I really miss my silenced ACR with red dot and need a replacement.

FAMAS is hot with anything, didn't notice any problems using the silencer yesterday on it.

sn1pes said:

Used that through almost all of my second prestige got up to red tiger. It's beast if you can hit on the first burst.

careful

Rubenov said:
I recently found out that I hate the grenade launcher more than I hate Commando.
The hate is definitely strong with me for those two. But I would say I rage harder at noob tubers than teleport knifers. At least with knifers, as annoying as they are, I can sort of be more alert and switch to a shotgun class to handle them. With tubers, I would need to waste an equipment slot for the blast shield and gimp myself of my radar. Just a pain in the ass.

Mileena

Banned
Commando is far more annoying than noob tubes. You all should be used to noob tubes by now since they were in CoD4... but the Halo swording is just SOOO rage inducing.

Aselith

Full Recovery said:
The lightweight/knife combo is really starting to get annoying. Have they said anything about fixing it yet?

You know it's broken when half of the players are using it and being successful.

Why shouldn't you be able to be successful if you commit totally to a certain playstyle by gimping yourself for anything else? What a crybaby. :lol :lol

Playing a knife build means using a pistol all the time for the tac knife and no stopping power + no Perk 1 that will help your gun = you're dead at any kind of range. If that person was doing a close range build with a shotgun, would you whine about that, too? Fact is that a marathon build with a Stopping Power shotgun will have more success than a knifer most likely. Not only that but any decent shotgunnner will fuck up the knifer's day if he tries to charge him Evil Dead-style. You may find it annoying but knifing is far from unbalanced.

Fugu

mr_boo said:
Reporting back on the ACOG ACR w SP - the ACOG does seem more effective with the ACOG. I have to admit, I'm having a lot of fun using the ACOG...I never messed around with it in COD4 but its fun to have that zoomed in feature - it's probably the closest I'll get to using a Sniper Rifle. But besides the fun factor, I can't really find a good reason to use the ACOG ACR over the majority of the other ARs.

Also, thanks to div & Fugu for the ACOG response.
On the PC, the ACR + ACOG is a death hose with infinite range on maps like estate where visibility is important.

mr_boo

LeMaximilian said:
That's usually how it goes, lol.
Still waiting on the patch before you cook up your next tutorial vid? Also, kudos for your predominately analytical, straight-to-the-point style - much more informative than some of the other videos out there.

Edit:
Fugu said:
On the PC, the ACR + ACOG is a death hose with infinite range on maps like estate where visibility is important.
Dumb question...why does this hold true on the PC only and not consoles?

aku:jiki

mr_boo said:
Reporting back on the ACOG ACR w SP - the ACOG does seem more effective with the ACOG. I have to admit, I'm having a lot of fun using the ACOG...I never messed around with it in COD4 but its fun to have that zoomed in feature - it's probably the closest I'll get to using a Sniper Rifle. But besides the fun factor, I can't really find a good reason to use the ACOG ACR over the majority of the other ARs.

Also, thanks to div & Fugu for the ACOG response.
Speaking of ACOG, I thought I was a hardcore ACOG hater but I was actually feeling it on P90. For close quarters, it was cool to have a superfast and agile little zoom for easier headshots, and it helps a little with ranged kills. I was totally surprised by how easy it was to use! Maybe I shouldn't completely ignore ACOG in the future and give it a real chance with each gun...

divisionbyzorro said:
I can't stand watching that guy; never seen any of his videos all the way through.
Aw, come on! SeaNanners is adorable. He only speaks like that because he's nervous, obviously... I think he seems like the nicest MW2 "pro" out there; he never brags and never talks shit about other players. I love his vids. :D

BTW, speaking of WOR bragging, have you seen the video where he claims 40-17 is the worst match he's ever played in a CoD game? Yeah fucking right... Does anybody believe that one? :lol

corkscrewblow said:
Commando is far more annoying than noob tubes. You all should be used to noob tubes by now since they were in CoD4... but the Halo swording is just SOOO rage inducing.
The answer to that is just no.

Having a guy run up behind me, giving me at least a chance to hear his footsteps, cannot possibly be considered more annoying than being bombed by someone who's two god damn houses away and cannot be seen, dodged, countered or killed in the slightest way possible.

Mileena

Banned
This game is completely unplayable for me right now. I've had 3 bars in most of my games but have been lagging so terribly in every single match I join. Verizon FiOS in FL, if that matters.

Sealda

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
This game is completely unplayable for me right now. I've had 3 bars in most of my games but have been lagging so terribly in every single match I join. Verizon FiOS in FL, if that matters.

I have experienced lag, even in 4 bar matches. I play on PS3. Seems like its something that always happens for me when its patch day.

Sealda said:
I have experienced lag, even in 4 bar matches. I play on PS3. Seems like its something that always happens for me when its patch day.

I get "super bullet"-ed more often with 4 bars than 3. Don't ask me why cause it makes no sense to me.

That's my way of knowing how good my connection is. If I'm constantly getting shot multiple times and yet the lag is so bad that they combine into 1 impossible-to-respond-to "super bullet" then i'm in for a laggy good time!

Sh0k

I promised myself to stay away from my nuke hunting and my killstreak setup for the last three days was Predator-Harrier-Pave Low. Tonight I changed it to harrier-Pave Low-Nuke seeing that in the previous FFA matches, nobody was shooting down the air support and got two nukes in a row, one in Sub Base and the next one in Estate. My count is 8 nukes in total :D

Sh0k said:
I promised myself to stay away from my nuke hunting and my killstreak setup for the last three days was Predator-Harrier-Pave Low. Tonight I changed it to harrier-Pave Low-Nuke seeing that in the previous FFA matches, nobody was shooting down the air support and got two nukes in a row, one in Sub Base and the next one in Estate. My count is 8 nukes in total :D
What platform? Also, if you don't mind, what's your loadout/perk combination?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Between the increasingly common lag and nuke fests I'm having a hard time finding time to play this as much as I was.

How hard, really, would it be to put in a filter for player count, nuke option, FF and so on.

I mean really.

aku:jiki said:
Yeah... Proper knifing does not entail running 50 yards straight at someone while they're looking at you. When that happens, a good knifer turns as soon as possible and makes it look like he's running away. Then he waits for the ever obvious chase and stabs the dude in the face while he's sprinting around the corner. Doesn't really have that much to do with lag, neither do backstabs.
That's not what i mean though. Online I easily go 30-4 knife only. Playing the exact same way offline just gets me killed, making me go 1:1 give or take. It is the lag, as in for those few split seconds that the knife animation is going through, it's hindering the amount of bullets you can shoot at a person.

For example, say it takes 4 bullets to kill a person with the gun you are using. If someone is next to you, you should be able to spray 4 bullets very quickly, maybe even get a headshot. Bam, they're dead. Now factor in lag which is atrocious in this game. Now, instead of the game originally designed to allow those four shots in a reasonable time frame, lag prevents the other player from recieving two out of four. You've know just died to the knifer.

Hit 20-0 twice tonight...that last nuke still evades me...

I am making progress on AK-47 Extended Mags though - 13/40. Am I the only person who thinks it's bizarre that AK-47 challenges give you experience? Like anybody is going to complete AK-47 mastery before they're eligible to prestige...

rodvik

Damn,

prestige asks you the question, "so... just how good are you REALLY, now you have to live without all the goodies you have become used to?"

my answer so far is...

"I aint shit."

my ratio gently weeps

:lol

Sh0k

RJNavarrete said:
What platform? Also, if you don't mind, what's your loadout/perk combination?
In sub base, I used my silent setup:
- acr w/silencer
- spas as a secondary
- claymores
- scavenger pro
- coldblooded pro
- ninja pro

in estate, used my anti booster setup:
- ump w/silencer
- rpgs
- c4
- scavenger pro
- coldblooded pro
- ninja pro

Forgot the platform, 360.

Najaf

Do hit multipliers stack in this game? For instance, if I take the FAL at pointblank range with a headshot I get 55x1.4=77, an addition of 22 damage points. If I add stopping power (1.4 multiplier) do I get 77x1.4=107.8? Or do I get 77+22=99?

Najaf said:
Do hit multipliers stack in this game? For instance, if I take the FAL at pointblank range with a headshot I get 55x1.4=77, an addition of 22 damage points. If I add stopping power (1.4 multiplier) do I get 77x1.4=107.8? Or do I get 77+22=99?

FAL + Stopping Power + Headshot is a one hit kill. So the former.

Najaf

divisionbyzorro said:
FAL + Stopping Power + Headshot is a one hit kill. So the former.

Groovy. My experience with it seemed to be hit and miss. (pun?) Therefor I wasn't too sure. Thanks for the quick reply.

Najaf

Another question that slipped my mind, does the ACOG extend range infinitely? i.e. Does it give a gun max damage at infinite range? Or is the range simply extended by an X factor?

ZZMitch

How do you guys feel about silencers?

Personally I can't live with out them... I use all my guns with silencers (even the RPD)..I just don't like the feeling of having everyone on the enemy team knowing my position every time I shoot.

eek5

Najaf said:
Another question that slipped my mind, does the ACOG extend range infinitely? i.e. Does it give a gun max damage at infinite range? Or is the range simply extended by an X factor?

all the guns other than shotguns have unlimited range

aku:jiki

Been playing lots of FFA tonight. Boosters in every other game, as usual, but now I have a stealth-runner class with SitRep so I can fuck with them more efficiently. :D

Was in one match on Estate and found two bozos on top of the house by C. I took the inside route up and just destroyed them with the TMP. Dude was 19-0. He rage quit and then came back and started again - found them and killed them again. Then they all left, and I used join session to follow them to the next match and found and RPG'd them again! :lol

To top it off, they went quiet for about 20 minutes and then sent a "message to all players" inviting to a knife boosting match (WTF? WHY?). I checked their profiles and waited until the match had started, then I joined and ran around and killed the guy that was supposed to stab everybody else. They shut down the match and the lobby was like 11 screaming little kids, then I got kicked out and gave up. :lol

ZZMitch said:
How do you guys feel about silencers?
On SMG's, it's pretty much the only attachment I use. Love how SMG's just handle better with a silencer on, and they don't take much of a hit to damage. Except P90 where I randomly use Rapid Fire - it's actually awesome on it!

I don't use silencers on anything else except for my FFA kit (which is all silenced and stealthy). For the AR's, I'm liking the TAR-21 the most when silenced.

I prestiged for the first time, and it seems like suddenly matchmaking is usually throwing me on the receiving end of beatdowns from multi-prestiege parties constantly. Is this just how it's gonna be now? I prefer objective game types, but it just isn't as fun with randoms who don't coordinate/communicate at all vs organized groups.

Is there a group of GAF PS3 regulars I could join up with? My friends list has split up a bit with all the new games out.

Fugu

mr_boo said:
Dumb question...why does this hold true on the PC only and not consoles?
Because mice are a lot more responsive, making it easier to react with the ACOG. The fact that it's essentially a magnifying glass doesn't intrude nearly as much when you can spin around with the flick of a mouse.

I said a few pages back that I would record myself playing with the P90. If anyone would like to watch, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pt-0f--7b4
(Don't expect anything hugely special, 32-6, just a regular match)

Okay so last night my brother's playing and I'm watching and he gets invited into this private match.

Photo0579-1.jpg

Look at the game type.

I knew about this being in the PC version through hacking but how are people doing this on 360 and getting online? I thought J-tagged 360s were easily detected and banned instantly.

I wonder if they'll "release" this mode down the line as DLC via an unlock key. I wouldn't be surprised considering this is Activision.

Anyway, we were inviting friends 'cause they wouldn't believe us otherwise and you could keep the mode for private matches assuming you didn't play any other game types, private or public.

Anyone else seen these on XBL?

Ballistik

One of the guys on my friend list was playing that too.. I joined him but the game had JUST ended when I loaded the map, so I just left. I have no clue how they did it.

Xux

Najaf said:

ACOG doesn't effect the guns range even though the stats screen makes it look like it counters the silencer. Apparently the stat screen just says that because of the magnification.

Fugu

Najaf said:
In Call of Duty, the "range" stat determines how long it takes for a gun to go below maximum damage. Silencers reduce this stat; otherwise, no attachments have any effect on range.

EDIT: Actually that's not entirely true, as holographic sight increases the range on the FAL... Sort of.

Swag

Past two nights all I've gotten are Knife Teleports, Noob Tubing, Akimbo Shotguns to the back / face. No communication on my team, and thermal snipers on Estate, Rundown and Karachi.

Why do those 3 maps come up so many times? Is it something in the programming? I'm gonna play for 5 hours straight one night and tally up how many times I play on each map, I never seem to get Wasteland, Rust, or Sub Base anymore. Makes me sad

/rage (QQ)

rezuth

Sebulon3k said:
Past two nights all I've gotten are Knife Teleports, Noob Tubing, Akimbo Shotguns to the back / face. No communication on my team, and thermal snipers on Estate, Rundown and Karachi.

Why do those 3 maps come up so many times? Is it something in the programming? I'm gonna play for 5 hours straight one night and tally up how many times I play on each map, I never seem to get Wasteland, Rust, or Sub Base anymore. Makes me sad

/rage (QQ)
I noticed that as well, and when Sub Base finally came on the fuckers voted against it. I was so pissed :lol

Top Bottom