• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

jedimike

eternaLightness said:
Just had a match with some guy who was nuke boosting. Knew something was up because he had a Chopper gunner within like 2 minutes after the match started. The guy on my team was 0-17 and I managed to find and kill the booster who was 22-0. He just cursed me out after the match ended. :D

Good job! Too bad there wasn't a way for IW to create a "Booster Justice" title. I used to play a lot of FFA and there were always boosters, right now I'm on a MTDM kick and I've only come across one booster. I was too late in recognizing it the first match and the guy got a nuke, but the next few rounds the boosters barely even got established before they were taken out.

RJNavarrete said:
Elevator glitch. Youtube it.

I thought IW fixed those back in the first patch... I have about 8 days play time and have never seen anyone do an elevator glitch. Not saying they don't exist... just personally have never seen it.

xtheEnemy said:
Anyone knows what's the latest patch for ? (PS3)

Cause I played last night and there's still a care package glitch.

fucking IW.
:lol @ IW

I've been going back to COD4 lately because it has no commando perk, no marathon perk, no stupid duel wielding akimbo bullshit, better levels that have less spots to camp, there's not 20 different kill streaks just uva airstrike chopper Cod4 is just way more balanced.

I've been playing for 6 days and didn't know there were visual hit markers, just the 'thuck' sound markers.

Is there anything else like this in the game that isn't widely known?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
For all of you guys that are bitching about the killstreaks, runners, tubers, spawn campers, etc, go play some hardcore s&d. No, seriously. There is very little of all of that there, it's as close as you'll get to MLG/Game Battles without being on a team.

Mileena

Banned
InterMoniker said:

I've been going back to COD4 lately because it has no commando perk, no marathon perk, no stupid duel wielding akimbo bullshit, better levels that have less spots to camp, there's not 20 different kill streaks just uva airstrike chopper Cod4 is just way more balanced.
Complaining about Marathon now? :lol :lol :lol

gtfo

Heh. Nothing like good ole fashioned rape. Just spent the last 2 hours going 30-5 or better every match.

Scar + FMJ/Silencer(depending on level of retardedness in foe's)
Spas + Grip/Dual Rangers
ClayMore
Flash Nerds

Scavenger Pro
Hardline Pro
Steady Aim Pro

Care Package
Predator/Sentry
Emergency Air Drop

Xux

Heh. Nothing like good ole fashioned mediocrity. Just spent the last 2 hours going 20-15 or so every match.

F2000 + FMJ(depending on how long I can handle the retardedness of unlocking Extended Mags)
USP + Tactical Knife
Claymore
Flash Grenades

Scavenger Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Commando Pro

UAV
Predator
Harrier

UMP. Silencer. Marathon. Cold Blooded. Ninja.
Harrier > Chopper Gunner > Nuke.

I just nuked with a U M fucking P running and gunning in the trenches of Afghan. Holy fucking shit was that intense. I wasn't even going for it, and got near death like three times (stupid noob tubes). So awesome. :D

InterMoniker said:

The side effect of "more balanced" in COD4 is "less variety." It's like playing a fighting game with only three characters. It's guaranteed to be more evenly balanced because everyone's on more equal footing. The upside to COD4 is that it's much more of a pure CS-style shooter, whereas MW2 reminds me more of something along the lines of Team Fortress, with crazy variety and more of a rock-paper-scissors style of balancing.

The RPS analogy is actually the best way to look at game balance here. Sure, the air support will wreck you, but that's because they are the rock to your scissors. Switch to a Stinger and they drop like flies, because now you are the paper to their rock. And (lag aside), knife runners and shotguns share a similar relationship.

There's definitely a place for both in this world. I personally love MW2, but there are many who don't - and that's great! There are millions of FPS fans out there; the community is more than big enough to support MW2, COD4, Halo, Battlefield, and maybe even Bioshock 2.

DoomGyver

I just saw someone get a game winning kill with a care package and it was complete luck. In Karachi, he was on the second floor where all of the chickens are and he threw the CP down below where a bunch of people were blindly running in order to get the final kill, it dropped right on top of a guy, funny as hell. But the kill-cam only showed him running down the stairs.

I know it's probably been asked but do you keep killstreak kills when you prestige for the first time. So will any ac130 kills you got before you prestige contribute to the spectre challenge once it's unlocked? I know the answer is probably 'no' but just checking to be sure.

uraldix

celestial body said:
I know it's probably been asked but do you keep killstreak kills when you prestige for the first time. So will any ac130 kills you got before you prestige contribute to the spectre challenge once it's unlocked? I know the answer is probably 'no' but just checking to be sure.

Nope, you start over.

rezuth

So I just had an amazing game on Favelia, I was in the motha effin zone. I had an UMP with FMJ and owned the whole game (Was Team Deathmatch, final score 32-1) I really wish I had equipped a nuke :(

diehard

Fleer
celestial body said:
The ones in the "killstreak" list do reset, however the killstreaks in the "prestige" list do NOT reset. Prestige ones reward the title/emblem.

dIEHARD said:
The ones in the "killstreak" list do reset, however the killstreaks in the "prestige" list do NOT reset. Prestige ones reward the title/emblem.

But the challenges aren't active until you prestige for the first time. So any kills you got during your initial level-up with your bonuses won't count.

divisionbyzorro said:
The side effect of "more balanced" in COD4 is "less variety." It's like playing a fighting game with only three characters. It's guaranteed to be more evenly balanced because everyone's on more equal footing. The upside to COD4 is that it's much more of a pure CS-style shooter, whereas MW2 reminds me more of something along the lines of Team Fortress, with crazy variety and more of a rock-paper-scissors style of balancing.

The RPS analogy is actually the best way to look at game balance here. Sure, the air support will wreck you, but that's because they are the rock to your scissors. Switch to a Stinger and they drop like flies, because now you are the paper to their rock. And (lag aside), knife runners and shotguns share a similar relationship.

There's definitely a place for both in this world. I personally love MW2, but there are many who don't - and that's great! There are millions of FPS fans out there; the community is more than big enough to support MW2, COD4, Halo, Battlefield, and maybe even Bioshock 2.

Eh, the game doesn't add as much variety as you think. There still are only certain classes - a runner class, a mid-range class, and a sniper class. The only class that they added that adds any true variety to the gameplay is the riot shield class. Of course, that's a crap class that doesn't work and nobody ever uses. Oddly enough you'll also find less and less snipers in this game. 90% of the time this game is a mid-range AR vs mid-range AR game unlike cod4 where just about every class was needed to have a solid team.

MW2's best chance to make it play different than cod4 was to give the true new class - the riot shielder - an actual chance. It could have really changed COD's concept for the better. Games would be more team oriented. Camping would have a counter and map flow wouldn't be as stale as it is now.
Other than that, the only way this game feels different to me is that the maps play out differently thanks to choke points, hiding spots, openness and size. Most games I play feel like playing Creek over and over again. Creek was an exception in cod4 and the norm here.

Fugu

Procarbine said:
For all of you guys that are bitching about the killstreaks, runners, tubers, spawn campers, etc, go play some hardcore s&d. No, seriously. There is very little of all of that there, it's as close as you'll get to MLG/Game Battles without being on a team.
Except no pro gaming league plays hardcore or S&D because neither are particularly balanced.

Dresden

Fugu said:
Except no pro gaming league plays hardcore or S&D because neither are particularly balanced.
Pro gaming leagues shouldn't be touching Modern Warfare 2, at all. It's the WoW of FPS games, and like WoW, doesn't lend itself well to a team-based competitive gameplay.

Fugu

Dresden said:
Pro gaming leagues shouldn't be touching Modern Warfare 2, at all. It's the WoW of FPS games, and like WoW, doesn't lend itself well to a team-based competitive gameplay.
They don't, really. CoD4's pro gaming scene used a mod that disabled LMGs, the P90, and the third perk, and fixed the first and second perk to bandolier and stopping power, respectively.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
just got the game
1. wtf iw, no english vo in the german version`??? really... on a blu-ray?!?
2. sp feels last gen, linear ... no physics ... bah
3. i cant see shit! what is up with the blood splatter?
4. who designed the brasil level?? kill him

haven`t got to the mp, but since i disabled autoaim for sp i hope there is a game mode in mp without autoaim?

i know this game is mp king, but sp is bad... r2 felt better :(

Fugu said:
They don't, really. CoD4's pro gaming scene used a mod that disabled LMGs, the P90, and the third perk, and fixed the first and second perk to bandolier and stopping power, respectively.

I suppose that makes sense; the perk system and weapon varieties tend to go against the sort of purist perspective that the top competitive scenes have.

I guess Halo 3 is the only modern console shooter that has openly embraced the MLG scene, huh?

sankt-Antonio said:
just got the game
1. wtf iw, no english vo in the german version`??? really... on a blu-ray?!?
2. sp feels last gen, linear ... no physics ... bah
3. i cant see shit! what is up with the blood splatter?
4. who designed the brasil level?? kill him

haven`t got to the mp, but since i disabled autoaim for sp i hope there is a game mode in mp without autoaim?

i know this game is mp king, but sp is bad... r2 felt better :(

None of the game modes have autoaim to the degree that the single player does. But you cannot alter the degree of autoaim that they do have.

This game has some of the worst net code I have ever experienced in a game this generation, yesterday about every game I joined was laggy, today there is a host migration every few minutes. IW, work on your net code. :lol :lol

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
CrazedArabMan said:
This game has some of the worst net code I have ever experienced in a game this generation, yesterday about every game I joined was laggy, today there is a host migration every few minutes. IW, work on your net code. :lol :lol
Yea, seriously shitty lag today.

CrazedArabMan said:

It's mostly their inability to choose a good host. Whatever method they use to choose host is completely awful.

I have been getting more could not connect to host errors lately, of course that happens right as the game starts so you wait an entire intermission for nothing.

tsigo

The thing that baffles me about the game choosing a bad host is that once it's chosen a bad host, it doesn't choose a new one for the next game. Why doesn't it figure "Hey, every player in this game except the host had 2 bars or less for the entire game. Let's not use this guy again."?

divisionbyzorro said:
It's mostly their inability to choose a good host. Whatever method they use to choose host is completely awful.
True. I always wonder why I don't get picked as host when I'm sure that my connection is better than 95% of the general populous. The game always seems to pick the guy with the yellow bar connection as host. It's such garbage.

Dresden

backflip10019 said:
True. I always wonder why I don't get picked as host when I'm sure that my connection is better than 95% of the general populous. The game always seems to pick the guy with the yellow bar connection as host. It's such garbage.
To be fair, whenever that guy with the yellow bar gets host, it'll be the only match of the night where he actually does well. :lol

backflip10019 said:

Yeah same here, also

Fal + Holo + Silencer = <3

VaLiancY

Since I got my Blue Tiger on my SCAR I fell back in love with it. With Bling I usually go Extended Mags and Silencer or Silencer and Red Dot. I don't use FMJ because I'm already working with a shallow clip, I don't to piss out rounds.

VaLiancY said:
Since I got my Blue Tiger on my SCAR I fell back in love with it. With Bling I usually go Extended Mags and Silencer or Silencer and Red Dot. I don't use FMJ because I'm already working with a shallow clip, I don't to piss out rounds.
I never understood why people use scopes on the SCAR when the iron sight is soooooo good. Why not use the first perk slot for something more useful like Scavenger Pro (which gives you extra mags) or Sleight of Hand Pro (fast ADS = money).

VaLiancY

backflip10019 said:
I never understood why people use scopes on the SCAR when the iron sight is soooooo good. Why not use the first perk slot for something more useful like Scavenger Pro (which gives you extra mags) or Sleight of Hand Pro (fast ADS = money).

Depends on the map, I'll use a sight. Big, open maps is when I'll use a sight. Closed small maps, I'll use extended mags.

SpeedingUptoStop

My god, I was playing Estate just now, my team was HORRIBLE. everyone in the house was on my team. The opposing team almsot entirely walks in the front door and wipes out the house. Jesus christ.:lol :lol

backflip10019 said:

I like Holo on the FAL, Red Dot on the FAMAS and M16, ACOG on the ACR, and irons on everything else.

Dresden

divisionbyzorro said:
I like Holo on the FAL, Red Dot on the FAMAS and M16, ACOG on the ACR, and irons on everything else.
I like the irons on every gun except for the FAL. For whatever reason, the irons on that thing are terrible. Just terrible.

Dresden said:
I like the irons on every gun except for the FAL. For whatever reason, the irons on that thing are terrible. Just terrible.

And the RDS is inaccurate. Ugh. Holo is the only sight worth using on that gun, and it even comes with a damage bonus!

backflip10019 said:
Scavenger Pro makes such a difference with the SCAR. On my first prestige and I tried it out and it makes such a big difference. I do miss fast ADS but its definitely worth having more mags.

mr_boo

Still trying to figure out which SMG is better for me: SP UMP w Silencer or SP MU w Silencer. MU's range and small clip issue gets to me. It's happen to me twice where I was actually chasing an unaware target from behind (mid-range distance) and I failed to take them out cause they turned a corner. On the other hand, MU seems to outperform the UMP in close quarters. Regarding UMP - it's kick is a bit annoying.

Thus far, I think I prefer MU over UMP simply cause of the kick and the close quarters effectiveness. If I'm caught though in a mid-range combat, I feel that I'll be on the losing side more than less.

Dresden

mr_boo said:
Still trying to figure out which SMG is better for me: UMP w Silencer or MU w Silencer. MU's range and small clip issue gets to me. It's happen to me twice where I was actually chasing an unaware target from behind (mid-range distance) and I failed to take them out cause they turned a corner. On the other hand, MU seems to outperform the UMP in close quarters. Regarding UMP - it's kick is a bit annoying.

Thus far, I think I prefer MU over UMP simply cause of the kick and the close quarters effectiveness. If I'm caught though in a mid-range combat, I feel that I'll be on the losing side more than less.
I'm biased, since my favorite smg is the UMP and I even have Fall for it. :D The UMP is basically an assault rifle though. And it's always a three shot kill even with the silencer.

Only problem with the gun is its slow ROF and the fact that camo barely shows up on it! Fall looks like woodland under most lighting conditions.

SpeedingUptoStop

also having massive problems today with spawning directly in front of the other team. "You own B, so we'll spawn you right next to the corner 8 guys on the other team are about to come around to take B! GOOD LUCK"

turtle553

backflip10019 said:
Argh, I just played with a teammate who went 17-46 in a game of Domination. Seriously, I didn't know that you could be that bad.

Could be they were actually trying to capture areas and win for the team instead of caring about their k/d ratio.

Top Bottom