• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

lionelhutz

i_am_ben said:
i hate fuckwits who stand around you whilst you're trying to secretly hide a bomb in demolition :/

I also think IW should patch the game so people can't leave when a nuke is activated. I was just in another game where the host left and the the game couldn't migrate.

I really don't like anyone following me. With predator missiles and other exploding killstreaks it's too easy for the other team to get double, triple, and multi-kills. It's equally annoying to have cold blooded equipped and have someone near you that doesn't.

bobs99 ... said:
Oh cmon thats like both ends of the cheap meter.

If someone wants to enjoy playing and asks you to stop camping because its not fun, stabbing him non stop isnt gonna be much fun for him either, just be glad he didnt think "fuck this" and just switch to a noob tube class.

Seriusly, some people want to play this game as a shooter, some dont care about k/d ratios and what not and just want to have fun, people hiding everywhere or running around knifing is not fun (neither is shooting mortars around the map).

Then go ahead. Play the game like quake or whatever but don't be expecting the game to give you a high-five for playing like you don't have a brain stem. The better you get at the game, the slower and more methodical it gets. This was true for cod4 also, but not to this extent. It plays more like rainbow 6 then most would like to admit. If you don't want to play like that, then fine...as you said, don't give a hoot about your kdr and i'm sure you can still have a good time with this game.

Najaf

bobs99 ... said:
Oh cmon thats like both ends of the cheap meter.

If someone wants to enjoy playing and asks you to stop camping because its not fun, stabbing him non stop isnt gonna be much fun for him either, just be glad he didnt think "fuck this" and just switch to a noob tube class.

Seriusly, some people want to play this game as a shooter, some dont care about k/d ratios and what not and just want to have fun, people hiding everywhere or running around knifing is not fun (neither is shooting mortars around the map).

On the contrary, racking up a great KDR is great fun for some people (I enjoy it). Knifing people relentlessly is fun for some people. Some people find hiding in dark corners and popping people as they run by fun.

To assume that what you consider 'not fun', is not fun for anyone is absurd. Much of what you say insinuates that people who are doing these things are not playing this game 'as a shooter' or the way it was meant to be played. Presuming that your preferences with gameplay styles are 'the right', and every other style of play is 'the wrong', is a really shallow way to view the experience.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
lionelhutz said:
I really don't like anyone following me. With predator missiles and other exploding killstreaks it's too easy for the other team to get double, triple, and multi-kills. It's equally annoying to have cold blooded equipped and have someone near you that doesn't.
nothing more annoying than being the only person running away from everyone else when a predator missile is about to rain hellfire on everyone.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
nothing more annoying than being the only person running away from everyone else when a predator missile is about to rain hellfire on everyone.

I played a GW TDM match last night on Sub Base where we were down 9800-9500. Then all of a sudden I heard a BOOM and the match ended - VICTORY! Some guy on my team got a 5-kill with a predator missile to win the match. The kill cam was hilarious as well; you saw their entire team try to scatter, but they kept getting caught on each other and on various bits of terrain. They must have been raging so hard at the end of the match.

Najaf said:
On the contrary, racking up a great KDR is great fun for some people (I enjoy it). Knifing people relentlessly is fun for some people. Some people find hiding in dark corners and popping people as they run by fun.

To assume that what you consider 'not fun', is not fun for anyone is absurd. Much of what you say insinuates that people who are doing these things are not playing this game 'as a shooter' or the way it was meant to be played. Presuming that your preferences with gameplay styles are 'the right', and every other style of play is 'the wrong', is a really shallow way to view the experience.

I personally get great pleasure out of getting a good K/D ratio, but I also see how the game sucks if people just hide in dark spots or run around taking advantage of cheap builds, I regulaly go 30+ kills <10 deaths by playing the game as a shooter, I move around fairly methodically but I at least move around - I have a friend who doesnt have fun unless theyre having a great K/D ratio and so I regulaly see him hiding in dark corners with shotguns, im just saying I dont let my stats affect me that much, and think it sucks for everyone when people resort to that.

but fine, fair enough if people get pleasure out of griefing others, they paid full price for the game and theyre entitled to it. Im just saying theres a middle ground between camping and running around with a knife if someone asks you to stop :lol

Fugu

Mr. B Natural said:
Then go ahead. Play the game like quake or whatever but don't be expecting the game to give you a high-five for playing like you don't have a brain stem. The better you get at the game, the slower and more methodical it gets. This was true for cod4 also, but not to this extent. It plays more like rainbow 6 then most would like to admit. If you don't want to play like that, then fine...as you said, don't give a hoot about your kdr and i'm sure you can still have a good time with this game.
It really doesn't. I play well above average (2:1 or so says my profile) and I run around like a madman.

Playing this like Quake doesn't mean playing without a brain stem. In fact, playing Quake (or Quake style, for that matter) well takes a lot of intelligence -- a lot more than simply avoiding firefights -- and that's largely the reason most people can't; not because it's not effective, but because it's difficult for it to be effective, especially in the face of less effective but easier to perform alternatives.

When you run and gun you have to be perpetually prepared meaning you have to have a strategy with the mindset that you probably won't stick to it. You also have to have some sort of bullet/grenade/insert kill-maker here avoidance game plan that doesn't incorporate cover (but can if it's available). You also have to be fairly good at guessing where opponents will be or you're going to get shot in the back a lot. You also have to be able to aim better than your opponent and at the right places and with the right gun.
In fact, I'm fairly sure the reason that Quake-style gameplay is seen as pants-on-head retarded by most is because the skill to aim while moving is one that's been lost on most people so when they try, it looks stupid.

minx

My time with this game might be coming to an end. I have played 9 days now with around 30,000 kills. The game is just getting old, same shit over and over. Maybe I just need a break, or maybe IW just needs to release the damn map pack.

kuYuri

minx88 said:
My time with this game might be coming to an end. I have played 9 days now with around 30,000 kills. The game is just getting old, same shit over and over. Maybe I just need a break, or maybe IW just needs to release the damn map pack.

I stopped playing CoD4 on 360 around that much too and that took me around a year and 10 months to acquire (10th prestige, 30,000+ kills). You did it in just over 3 months.

It's safe to say you've more than got your money's worth.

Strider2K99 said:
I stopped playing CoD4 on 360 around that much too and that took me around a year and 10 months to acquire (10th prestige, 30,000+ kills). You did it in just over 3 months.

It's safe to say you've more than got your money's worth.

:lol Indeed.

I also agree fully with Fugu, I find it comical when people try and make it sound like Run and Gunners are some kind of retarded group who never play well, if you run and gun you have to be VERY good to get away with it, it also provides a lot of excitement. Sure its not very realistic, but that doesn’t mean that tactics and skill goes out the window, it definitely takes more skill and reflex to be a good run and gunner, and you have to constantly adapt your tactics on the fly.

There’s no real way of proving your skill, but ive had 10 nukes, on most of them after the 15 kill mark I do tend to start camping, but the few ive had just running and gunning where exhilarating.

bobs99 ... said:
I also agree fully with Fugu, I find it comical when people try and make it sound like Run and Gunners are some kind of retarded group who never play well, if you run and gun you have to be VERY good to get away with it, it also provides a lot of excitement. Sure its not very realistic, but that doesn’t mean that tactics and skill goes out the window, it definitely takes more skill and reflex to be a good run and gunner, and you have to constantly adapt your tactics on the fly.

I used to keep a knife-runner class around, but I switched it to a gun-runner (swapped ninja for commando and machine pistols for tactical knife) and I've never looked back. Last Sunday I went through my 5-7-9 streak three times using that class in Domination on Estate - it's such a rush playing a running class that it's hard to go back to a normal, straight-up assault class.

backflip10019 said:
What's that? Do you just mean riot shield boosting?

No, using OMA to have a riot shield up while on a mounted MG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89T25ETCKLU

Ovid

Can someone tell me why the D-Eagle sucks so bad? It's very powerful (two shot kill - upper torso) but it has terrible range and is highly inaccurate. I wonder how Akimbo with Steady Aim is with this gun?

Najaf

bobs99 ... said:
but fine, fair enough if people get pleasure out of griefing others, they paid full price for the game and theyre entitled to it. Im just saying theres a middle ground between camping and running around with a knife if someone asks you to stop :lol

This is where you and I differ. To me, there is a huge difference between {nube tube spam/knifing/camping} and griefing. Those things can easily be countered. Why should someone stop knifing you or camping simply because you ask them to? Just because they do not comply with your request does not make them griefers.

A griefer in MW2 is the guy who follows a friendly stealth player around with an unsuppressed gun, continually firing to give away their position. Or, a player who team kills another in hardcore to steal their care package. Or, a glitcher who is getting out of the map, riding elevators, or (formerly) calling in infinite care packages.

You seem to want people to adjust their manor of play to better compliment yours. It is your choice to continue with tactics that are getting you nube tube'd/knifed/camped. It is up to you to adapt, not them.

minx88 said:

I really wish there was a steady stream of map packs like there is song packs for GH&RB.

I would happily pay 800pts for 4 new maps every 2 months.

Nizz

careful said:
If anyone ever wondered how COD motion controlled feels like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ZBfascaEk
:S

(taken from another thread)
I think the reason that looks kinda weird is that the crosshair is moving independent to your character's movement.

I think offering motion controls with the crosshair fixed at the center of the screen instead would be better. Like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VBMEN5Bvpg

If there were Arc support for fps games in this style, or at least letting you fix the crosshair to the center, I could work with that.

Najaf said:
This is where you and I differ. To me, there is a huge difference between {nube tube spam/knifing/camping} and griefing. Those things can easily be countered. Why should someone stop knifing you or camping simply because you ask them to? Just because they do not comply to your request does not make them griefers.

A griefer in MW2 is the guy who follows a friendly stealth player around with an unsuppressed gun, continually firing to give away their position. Or, a player who team kills another in hardcore to steal their care package. Or, a glitcher who is getting out of the map, riding elevators, or (formerly) calling in infinite care packages.

You seem to want people to adjust their manor of play to better compliment yours. It is your choice to continue with tactics that are getting you nube tube'd/knifed/camped. It is up to you to adapt, not them.

Just to put this back into context, the poster that I quoted said that he found it infuriating that he was asked to stop camping. Therfore he used a knife running build and couldn’t believe the person was still annoyed, my response was both approaches are equally annoying.

In my opinion, camping and knife running are both annoying, and both can be pretty effective and that’s why most people hate them, I personally hate them because they’re almost encouraged as they provide such good results.
Im a hypocrite, I love jumping off buildings and knifing people :lol

So yeah they have uses beyond griefing, but if people dont see how they can be aggravating im in shock, especially if people switch between the 2 and wonder why people are angry :lol

As for countering them if they annoy you, I sort of went into that by saying the person could easily pull out a Nube Tube class. I just personally find it boring when the game devolves to that level.
Call of Duty: Modern Douchebag 2 OR Call of Duty: Retarded Arms Race 2, take your pick, I don’t want to play either of those.

Back on track ive never asked anyone to play differently, and ive been able to adapt my playstyle, but you’re always going to get caught out every so often, and its always REALLY frustrating. I hate stooping to they’re level though because I want to play a shooting game.

Dresden

The strange thing about knife running is that anyone who's a good runner will always do better if he put on a Spas-12 instead of a tactical knife. People bitch about invincibility frames, but the range and killing power of the Spas just makes it a superior build.

Right now, I only have two complaints about the game--One Man Army with explosives, and the nukes. I think nukes were a good idea, it's just that because of the emblem associated with it you still have boosters ruining domination and such.

Dresden said:
The strange thing about knife running is that anyone who's a good runner will always do better if he put on a Spas-12 instead of a tactical knife. People bitch about invincibility frames, but the range and killing power of the Spas just makes it a superior build.

Right now, I only have two complaints about the game--One Man Army with explosives, and the nukes. I think nukes were a good idea, it's just that because of the emblem associated with it you still have boosters ruining domination and such.

To your first point: the knife is silent. The Spas-12 is not.

To your second point: I still think nukes are a great idea because they give people more incentive to actually take down air support. If the AC-130 was the worst thing the game could throw at me, I'd be less motivated to take it down and more motivated to just avoid it.

fps fanatic said:
I think the reason that looks kinda weird is that the crosshair is moving independent to your character's movement.

I think offering motion controls with the crosshair fixed at the center of the screen instead would be better. Like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VBMEN5Bvpg

If there were Arc support for fps games in this style, or at least letting you fix the crosshair to the center, I could work with that.

All Wii FPS games have the crosshair move independent of character's turning. It's meant to somewhat mimic a KBM setup - but with a KBM setup you can pick up the mouse and recenter it if you keep spinning in one direction. The Wii can't do that; you always have to be pointing at the screen. I only ever played Metroid Prime III on the Wii, and loved it, but I can't imagine playing a CoD-style game with that system (that said, plenty of people apparently love it).

Fugu

Dresden said:

What? Knife doesn't show up on radar, comes out faster (and has nearly the same downtime), always kills in one hit (as opposed to relying on a well-aimed shot), has infinite ammo, a much larger instant kill radius, and only slightly less range.

rezuth

i_am_ben said:
i hate fuckwits who stand around you whilst you're trying to secretly hide a bomb in demolition :/

I also think IW should patch the game so people can't leave when a nuke is activated. I was just in another game where the host left and the the game couldn't migrate.
Not that I ever get to host a game even with my 100Mbit connection but that aside I agree. I always quit when a nuke is activated, the game is already over and it will go faster for me to quit and join a new game than to wait it all out.

zam

Penny Arcade made a comic in regards to the whole "The Pro vs itzlupo" thing (video was posted earlier in this thread)

795663655_muvmH-L.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
tarius1210 said:
Can someone tell me why the D-Eagle sucks so bad? It's very powerful (two shot kill - upper torso) but it has terrible range and is highly inaccurate. I wonder how Akimbo with Steady Aim is with this gun?

I was playing against a guy using akimbo'd Deagles last night. He wasn't very good with them. But I kept picking them up and I did alright with them. Especially against the guy I got them from. I killed him at least 5 or 6 times with his own guns.

Dresden

Fugu said:
What? Knife doesn't show up on radar, comes out faster (and has nearly the same downtime), always kills in one hit (as opposed to relying on a well-aimed shot), has infinite ammo, a much larger instant kill radius, and only slightly less range.
Uh, no. The range on the Spas-12 is nearly as much as the old 1887's. Will kill in one shot most of the time. Infinite ammo isn't a concern when you have a one shot gun with 20+shots as a reserve.

The only thing in favor of the knife is radar silence, which isn't enough considering, against decent players, you won't have Ninja on and they'll hear you coming.

zam

Brian Fellows said:
What did this dude do to get banned?
http://kotaku.com/5476938/theres-two-sides-to-every-xbox-live-banning-[update]

Basically, used mods and stuff and taunted 402 about it on twitter and taunted The Pro (MS guy who deals with banning Xbox Live users) as well. Then posted edited video making it look as if The Pro was abusing his power (editing out what people were saying to him, forgetting to mention that the people banned were cheaters etc). Video was posted earlier in this thread and briefly discussed.

Penny Arcade post that accompanied the strip:
Penny Arcade said:
It was a lot of fun watching this story mutate as the day progressed, warping in its essential shape, culminating in something like justice. A brigand has tasted his own medicine, and it is bitter.

His Twitter is a hoot - he taunts Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling about the ability to alter game behavior at will, and in the very next message attempts to seek the developer's sympathy. It's like, wow, douche. Is lion taunting statistically correlated with lion attacks? Do some math, motherfucker. He's an utterly unrepentant hacker, yet he wonders what strange force keeps getting his boxes banned. It would be like if I'd made a reputation for myself entering local cafes, slipping into the back to shit directly on their hot grills. And then, when I came back the next day, they told me to leave - even if I hadn't managed to shit on anything during that particular visit! Come to terms with the idea that there is a point beyond which you are not worth the price of your subscription.

There are times during the video when "The Pro," a moderator on the service and the supposed villain, sounds like a real bastard - but I've got sufficient life experience to recognize the underlying waveform in his audio stream.

He is using his Dad Voice.

When you and I log into the service of our choice, we can log off at any time. Try to imagine a world where you could not escape these people, where it was your damnation in a literal sense to stew in a crockpot of social disease. Maybe he should be nicer to people who claim to have fucked his grandmother until she was destroyed by the process. That's something he can work on, maybe. I'm sure there's an informative pamplet he can peruse. In the meantime, let's get that statue made.

mr_boo

aku:jiki said:
I have to disagree with that. If you're not looking to go knifing, you're wasting your time doing the unlocks. The tac knife is a primary weapon and an entire playstyle in its own right, it's not a very reliable secondary. I would go with a shotgun on an SMG class.
kk, advice seems sound...but I will still give the Tactical Knife a whirl to see how things go for me.

Reporting back on the Akimbo USP I've been messing around with - man alive, I'm still very inconsistent with them. In some instances, I'm impressed with the range (w hipfire) and the damage output and in other instances, it's like shooting an airball - I completely miss my target. I suspect I'm aiming too high and not accounting for the vertical recoil well enough.

Fugu

Dresden said:
Uh, no. The range on the Spas-12 is nearly as much as the old 1887's. Will kill in one shot most of the time. Infinite ammo isn't a concern when you have a one shot gun with 20+shots as a reserve.

The only thing in favor of the knife is radar silence, which isn't enough considering, against decent players, you won't have Ninja on and they'll hear you coming.
The SPAS does full damage up to just over four yards and stops doing damage altogether up to eight. Commando knife has a range of 196 inches.
A knife will kill in one, all the time. The SPAS is foiled entirely by painkiller or a whiff.
The knife has substantially less downtime and no reload.
The knife does not occupy a secondary weapon slot.
If the knife's hit confirm radius is considered to be its blast radius, the knife has a larger blast radius than the SPAS. In other words, it requires less aim to land a knife hit than it does to land a shotgun hit (the latter of which is non-fatal at the edges anyway).
The knife's radius is not hampered by movement speed; the knife has the same accuracy at every speed while the shotgun's radius gets larger as you move more/jump.
The knife does not have to be switched to and can be used while still wielding a primary (or secondary) weapon. If you fail, you aren't screwed.

Also, having a silenced weapon doesn't prevent you from being seen by the person you're fighting anyway; rather, it prevents the rest of the team from seeing you. This stays true against decent players except with a diminished effect. It is also true against decent players that if you are traveling alone, a red dot on the radar is either a death sentence or a trap that only works once.

Aselith

Dresden said:
Eh? Get your OMA pack out, then switch to your gun again. It works, you are not required to choose a new class.

No, he was saying switch the OMA pack for a new weapon. So, instead of having primary + pack, you have primary + new gun. I know you can switch back to your gun from OMA.

TestOfTide said:
Um, yes you can, or least when I last tried it (in 2009) you can.

Step 1: go over a dropped weapon
Step 2: switch to OMA
Step 3: almost Immediately after pressing Y, press and hold X.

try it if you don't believe me.

That's interesting. But, you still keep OMA as the perk 1? Seems like a good way to have two weapons but still boost OMA, doesn't seem like there would be any other advantage since you'd lose the OMA ability.

Belfast said:
Balance or not, it's still just... a retarded mechanic. I know the game isn't very realistic, despite its pretenses of "modern warfare," but Akimbo just doesn't feel like a good fit. If they're going to do that, they might as well add in all sorts of crazy Rambo shit.

They already did.

aku:jiki

I just pulled the game winning killcam of the day! :D

I had a sentry in my pocket when I noticed we almost had the TDM win, so I pulled it out and ran with it out trying to find someone and while running around I noticed a camper in a corner and the game winning killcam ended up being me running around in circles with a sentry trying to place it so it would kill him. I slammed it down right as he turned and noticed me, bam! :lol

BTW, the last patch did change the Stealth Bomber, didn't it? It's always turbo-boosted now, I love it.

Edit: Yeah, that killcam story doesn't translate to text, does it? I swear the killcam looked hilarious!

Aselith

divisionbyzorro said:
To your first point: the knife is silent. The Spas-12 is not.

To your second point: I still think nukes are a great idea because they give people more incentive to actually take down air support. If the AC-130 was the worst thing the game could throw at me, I'd be less motivated to take it down and more motivated to just avoid it.

Obviously you haven't experienced the ecstacy of silenced Spas.

jiien

Aselith said:
Obviously you haven't experienced the ecstacy of silenced Spas.

I'm not much of a shotgunner, but wouldn't silencing it completely kill whatever short range it had to begin with? Might as well Commando knife at that point.

Aselith

jiien said:
I'm not much of a shotgunner, but wouldn't silencing it completely kill whatever short range it had to begin with? Might as well Commando knife at that point.

You would think but not so much. It makes it shorter but it's still a mean machine.

jiien

Aselith said:
You would think but not so much. It makes it shorter but it's still a mean machine.

Heh, based on where this thread was going, I tried using the Spas. OH MY GOD I SUCK. I was bad with shotguns to begin with, for some reason, but unless I can spam it like the AA12 or something, I'm just plain horrible.

Edit: Oh, it probably didn't help I was using Hardline (just to level it up for fun), because I definitely got a few glancing blows that didn't kill, and maybe Stopping Power would have made the difference. Maybe >.>

careful

Yeah, you need Stopping Power. Make sure you also have Steady Aim on for shotguns and Akimbo. I posted in this thread before asking if there was a major difference. So I went to test for myself in private match and SA definitely extends your range by a good couple of feet.

ultim8p00

Banned
careful said:
Yeah, you need Stopping Power. Make sure you also have Steady Aim on for shotguns and Akimbo. I posted in this thread before asking if there was a major difference. So I went to test for myself in private match and SA definitely extends your range by a good couple of feet.

Even when ADS?

Aselith said:
No, he was saying switch the OMA pack for a new weapon. So, instead of having primary + pack, you have primary + new gun. I know you can switch back to your gun from OMA.

Exactly. BTW, did you actually test it. Just asking because I haven't actually tried the pack-swap in a while and I lately have been at a college with shitty online, so online gameplay is limitted to visitting friends. I suspect that the glitch is still there though because of the recent video posted showing the riot-shield-MG glitch. Both require a combination of the pack screen and holding X, but since I never played splitscreen, I don't have an easy way of confirming it right now.

That's interesting. But, you still keep OMA as the perk 1? Seems like a good way to have two weapons but still boost OMA

Which is what I sometimes did when I put it on my p90 cold-ninja class.

doesn't seem like there would be any other advantage since you'd lose the OMA ability.

Like I said, it wasn't likely what was going on, but somoene said you couldn't hold two weapons with OMA, which I have found is not true.

kuYuri

grap3fruitman said:
I wonder if IW will up the level cap with the map packs. Got to 10th lvl 70 today, now what? When are we getting some DLC anyway?

What do you mean "now what?" Make a new account and do it all over again.

Seriously, you're fucking crazy.

Top Bottom