• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
rezuth said:
Not that I ever get to host a game even with my 100Mbit connection but that aside I agree. I always quit when a nuke is activated, the game is already over and it will go faster for me to quit and join a new game than to wait it all out.

You're an awful person. It's only 10 seconds till the nuke activates :/

Plus if you were hosting you may rob a guy of his hard earned nuke.

also i have a 1.5 mb connection :(

whitehawk

Banned
rezuth said:
Not that I ever get to host a game even with my 100Mbit connection but that aside I agree. I always quit when a nuke is activated, the game is already over and it will go faster for me to quit and join a new game than to wait it all out.
You're a dick.

zam said:
http://kotaku.com/5476938/theres-two-sides-to-every-xbox-live-banning-[update]

Basically, used mods and stuff and taunted 402 about it on twitter and taunted The Pro (MS guy who deals with banning Xbox Live users) as well. Then posted edited video making it look as if The Pro was abusing his power (editing out what people were saying to him, forgetting to mention that the people banned were cheaters etc). Video was posted earlier in this thread and briefly discussed.

Penny Arcade post that accompanied the strip:
Another vid from ITzLuPo :lol

UFRA

Now that it seems the major fighting over perk opinions has died down for right now, I'll try this again:

Has anyone else experienced the following:

Start of a round in a game, all connections except for the host go down to 1 red bar for like 2-3 seconds, then everything is back to normal. Search and Destroy is the best example of this since there are many rounds in a short period of time.

This happens when I'm the host of games, and I have Roadrunner cable with a 15Mb download and 500Kb upload speed.... My router has the PS3 in a DMZ, my NAT Type is "Open" in the MW2 lobby, and Type 2 in Network settings, and I have a wired connection.

W...T...F???

I've experienced it before when I wasn't host, so it's obviously something within the game's servers and not JUST something with me. However it doesn't happen to everyone so what's the deal?

Edit: Also I never have problems hosting in any other games, so that's how I know it's this game...just wondering if there's anything else I can do to help prevent this...even though I like to think my network setup is pretty much perfect for a gaming environment. :(

Aselith

UFRA said:
Now that it seems the major fighting over perk opinions has died down for right now, I'll try this again:

Start of a round in a game, all connections except for the host go down to 1 red bar for like 2-3 seconds, then everything is back to normal. Search and Destroy is the best example of this since there are many rounds in a short period of time.

This happens when I'm the host of games, and I have Roadrunner cable with a 15Mb download and 500Kb upload speed.... My router has the PS3 in a DMZ, my NAT Type is "Open" in the MW2 lobby, and Type 2 in Network settings, and I have a wired connection.

W...T...F???

I've experienced it before when I wasn't host, so it's obviously something within the game's servers and not JUST something with me. However it doesn't happen to everyone so what's the deal?

Edit: Also I never have problems hosting in any other games, so that's how I know it's this game...just wondering if there's anything else I can do to help prevent this...even though I like to think my network setup is pretty much perfect for a gaming environment. :(

If it's before the start of a match, I've had it happen. Here's a question: if that is the case and it doesn't effect normal gameplay...why do you care? W...T...F???

TestOfTide said:
Exactly. BTW, did you actually test it. Just asking because I haven't actually tried the pack-swap in a while and I lately have been at a college with shitty online, so online gameplay is limitted to visitting friends. I suspect that the glitch is still there though because of the recent video posted showing the riot-shield-MG glitch. Both require a combination of the pack screen and holding X, but since I never played splitscreen, I don't have an easy way of confirming it right now.

No I didn't test it. I'd never use it so it didn't seem worth trying to me.

UFRA

Aselith said:
If it's before the start of a match, I've had it happen. Here's a question: if that is the case and it doesn't effect normal gameplay...why do you care? W...T...F???

Because it affects other people when I'm host... To me, the game runs normally, but to everyone else, those first 2-3 seconds of the match are all laggy as hell. I know since I've experienced the non-host side of it too.

I get PM's from people saying I have a lag switch, get a better connection, etc.. yet it's not me that's causing the problem. It's annoying and that's why I asked.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Yay 3rd nuke! I was about 7 shy of a nuke when my chopper gunner was shot down.

Very very intense and very very nervous. Moreover, the opposition had 11 seconds remaining until their bombsite blew up!

I got two AC130s in one round of Demolition a bit ago. Ended 58-9 with three quadruple kills [<3 RPG and Danger Close Pro]. Oh, and shout out to Scavenger Pro! :lol

UFRA said:

W...T...F???

I play S+D religiously and I've never, NEVER, played a round where there isn't a huge lag spike in the first five seconds of the game. It makes rushing to the bomb even harder. :lol

Quite annoying. No idea why it is.

jiien

Foliorum Viridum said:
I play S+D religiously and I've never, NEVER, played a round where there isn't a huge lag spike in the first five seconds of the game. It makes rushing to the bomb even harder. :lol

Quite annoying. No idea why it is.

Yep, happens to me too, though not all the time. I think it is only when I'm not hosting, and I'm actually hosting more often than not. But I have noticed it before.

UFRA

Thanks guys. That's all I needed to hear.

Not only is it a seemingly common issue, but it also happens on both XBL and PSN. Oh well, IW's problem, not mine at this point. I've got my network setup as good as it can be.

Dresden

you guys probably all knew this, but I guess EMP doesn't cancel out a nuke that's already coming? I was using it to get the emblem finally, but when I got one I saved it because I noticed that the other side had a harrier and a chopper gunner up. :lol Sure enough, incoming nuke, I pop EMP, nothing happens. I guess you need to do it before they activate it.

UFRA

Dresden said:
you guys probably all knew this, but I guess EMP doesn't cancel out a nuke that's already coming? I was using it to get the emblem finally, but when I got one I saved it because I noticed that the other side had a harrier and a chopper gunner up. :lol Sure enough, incoming nuke, I pop EMP, nothing happens. I guess you need to do it before they activate it.

The only way to stop a nuke is a well-timed throwing knife.

rezuth

careful said:
Yeah, you need Stopping Power. Make sure you also have Steady Aim on for shotguns and Akimbo. I posted in this thread before asking if there was a major difference. So I went to test for myself in private match and SA definitely extends your range by a good couple of feet.
Don't be silly I play with the SPAS without Stopping Power and Steady Aim constantly. Honestly, you almost never need Stopping Power.

So after the near-violent discussion over Stopping Power from a few pages back, I went through all of my classes last night and pulled Stopping Power off of the ones that had it and decided to go through an entire session without it on any classes. These are the classes I used:

• AK-47 + Silencer, AA-12, Claymore, Stun, Scavenger Pro, Hardline, Ninja Pro
  • Scar-H + Launcher, RPG, C4, Stun, Scavenger Pro, Danger Close Pro, SitRep
  • P90 + Silencer, Raffica Akimbo, Semtex, Stun, Marathon Pro, Lightweight Pro, Steady Aim Pro

My killstreaks were Predator, Harrier, Stealth Bomber.

My worst game was 17-15. My best was 32-1. I averaged 2.5:1, and my K/D went up by .01 over a two hour span. The only times that I noticed the lack of Stopping Power was using the AA-12 against runners; I found knife runners were getting through my wall of bullets more often. The Hardline class turned out to be the most fun; starting the killstreaks at 4 is so incredibly nice.

Can't wait to start prestige 2. My prestige buddy is P1L65; I'm tempted to stop waiting entirely and just start lapping him :lol

lionelhutz

divisionbyzorro said:
So after the near-violent discussion over Stopping Power from a few pages back, I went through all of my classes last night and pulled Stopping Power off of the ones that had it and decided to go through an entire session without it on any classes. These are the classes I used:

• AK-47 + Silencer, AA-12, Claymore, Stun, Scavenger Pro, Hardline, Ninja Pro
  • Scar-H + Launcher, RPG, C4, C4, Scavenger Pro, Danger Close Pro, SitRep
  • P90 + Silencer, Raffica Akimbo, Semtex, Marathon Pro, Lightweight Pro, Steady Aim Pro

My killstreaks were Predator, Harrier, Stealth Bomber.

My worst game was 17-15. My best was 32-1. I averaged 2.5:1, and my K/D went up by .01 over a two hour span. The only times that I noticed the lack of Stopping Power was using the AA-12 against runners; I found knife runners were getting through my wall of bullets more often. The Hardline class turned out to be the most fun; starting the killstreaks at 4 is so incredibly nice.

Can't wait to start prestige 2. My prestige buddy is P1L65; I'm tempted to stop waiting entirely and just start lapping him :lol

I removed stopping power the other day from everything except my sniper class. I replaced it with hardline and don't think I'll look back. With the ACR and bling it was always tough to get 5 or 6 kills without running out of ammo. Now I can get my predator at 4, harrier at 6, and pavelow at 8, and repeat. Getting the predator at 4 kills is huge.

Got a couple of questions about the PC version, since I heard it's really bare bones:

What sort of graphics settings are there? AA, AF, resolution, other stuff? Do FRAPS and D3DOverrider work well with it?

And as shitty as IW.net sounds in comparison to dedicated servers, is it acceptable at the very least?

lionelhutz

Brian Fellows said:
I notice the lack of stopping power whenever I don't have it equipped and always end up going back to it.

I've only noticed it while sniping. FMJ and stopping power is a one hit kill 99.9% of the time. I don't think those two perks should be required for a one hit kill, but what do I know?

If you watch videos on youtube for the Barrett .50 cal it's made to stop everything from people to small vehicles. The bullets are insanely big. I should be able to hit someone in the finger and kill them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWJp14tkBlU

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Got a couple of questions about the PC version, since I heard it's really bare bones:

What sort of graphics settings are there? AA, AF, resolution, other stuff? Do FRAPS and D3DOverrider work well with it?

And as shitty as IW.net sounds in comparison to dedicated servers, is it acceptable at the very least?

0820132239062332_l.jpg

Thats the advanced options (AA can go upto 4x), the bit before that lets you change resolution and brightness. Fraps works fine from what i used, never used D3DOveridder though. Steam says ive played it online for 186 hours since release, and 99% of that time has been fine, no problems. Of course, whats "fine" is dependant on your own views on dedicated servers ;)

VaLiancY

I've recently removed Stopping Power from some of my classes. With Extended Mags on the SCAR-H, I don't see any use for it and the next best Tier 2 perk is Hardline. I don't use higher tier killstreaks instead I use UAV, Counter UAV and a sentry gun. I'll swap out the last two for a Predator Missile and Emergency Airdrop. I prefer to help the team with UAV than use a killstreak that gets blown out of the sky.

Regarding killstreaks, I really do wish the attack helicopter, stealth bomber and EMP get some form of tweaks regarding their viability. Attack helicopter eats a Stinger missile out of the gate, Stealth bomber feels situational at time or maybe that's an issue with the airstrike perks in general and EMP is too high of a killstreak.

Erasus

I NEED SCISSORS said:

You can adjust, AA, AF, Texture Quality, Aspect Ratio etc

FRAPS works, no idea about D3D.

IW.net is... acceptable. Not nearly as good as dedicated servers, but the hosts are usually pretty good.

Ogs said:
0820132239062332_l.jpg

Thats the advanced options (AA can go upto 4x), the bit before that lets you change resolution and brightness. Fraps works fine from what i used, never used D3DOveridder though. Steam says ive played it online for 186 hours since release, and 99% of that time has been fine, no problems. Of course, whats "fine" is dependant on your own views on dedicated servers ;)
Looks like it's all in there. More AA and AF can probably be forced too.

And no dedicated servers is a blow, as I know I won't be getting the best online performance anymore. But, i'm in the same boat as you - as long as it's good enough then I don't really care too much. I get kicked enough from COD4 as it is because of stupid PunkBuster errors, so it's not like i'm coming from a flawless setup. Plus, I never really liked custom game modes or massive clusterfucks anyway, and other than Galactic Warfare, what mods has COD ever been famous for?

Thanks everyone.

Ok something I need cleared up guys.

On the tool tips when a level is loading it says sentry guns can be temporarily disabled by hitting them with stun/flash bang grenades, I hit a sentry with 2 flashes yesterday ran around the corned and it chopped me down in a second, anyone know whats wrong as its been bothering the hell out of me (first person to say use cold blooded gets a claymore between their bum cheeks)

VaLiancY

kyo_daikun said:

On the tool tips when a level is loading it says sentry guns can be temporarily disabled by hitting them with stun/flash bang grenades, I hit a sentry with 2 flashes yesterday ran around the corned and it chopped me down in a second, anyone know whats wrong as its been bothering the hell out of me (first person to say use cold blooded gets a claymore between their bum cheeks)

Doesn't work. I don't know why the tooltip is even in game when it's proven otherwise. It is very misleading but that doesn't stop the horde of people running at my sentry gun.

bluehat9

Going to get the 1000 UAV challenge done today. Finally I'll be able use something other than counter-UAV again (which I never really found too helpful).

aku:jiki

VaLiancY said:
Regarding killstreaks, I really do wish the attack helicopter, stealth bomber and EMP get some form of tweaks regarding their viability.
Stealth Bomber has been fixed! It now travels at like 10 times the old speed and really causes havoc. I thought it was a glitch first time I saw it, but every SB I've seen since the patch has been that way so it must've been patched. :D

kyo_daikun said:

It's glitched and doesn't work, and I think that's a good thing. A really lucky sentry gets two kills anyway, it shouldn't be even easier to completely wreck it. :/

That reminds me, I'm running what I call the most boring killstreak setup possible right now: Sentry, Precision Airstrike and Attack Heli. It's kinda funny how the sentry is the best one of those... :lol

VaLiancY said:
Doesn't work. I don't know why the tooltip is even in game when it's proven otherwise. It is very misleading but that doesn't stop the horde of people running at my sentry gun.

I thought as much, I learned this pretty fast just wanted clarification. :lol

VaLiancY said:
Regarding killstreaks, I really do wish the attack helicopter, stealth bomber and EMP get some form of tweaks regarding their viability. Attack helicopter eats a Stinger missile out of the gate, Stealth bomber feels situational at time or maybe that's an issue with the airstrike perks in general and EMP is too high of a killstreak.

The killstreak bonuses can be sliced as situational or immediate, and used as openers or finishers:

• A situational killstreak bonus is one that is best used when it is saved and released when the moment is right. By contrast, an immediate bonus is one that is just as valuable now or later.
  • Openers are killstreak bonuses that appear in the first or second bonus slot. Finishers are bonuses that appear in the third bonus slot.
  • If you want to use a situational bonus, you should always try to put it as your finisher, so that you aren't relying on it to bring you kills to get to your next bonus.

The situational bonuses are:

• Care Package
  • Sentry Gun
  • Precision Airstrike
  • Emergency Airdrop
  • Pave Low
  • Stealth Bomber
  • EMP

Obviously the Care Package can't be your final killstreak, but you also should save the marker and use it only when you're safely away from the front line. All of these other bonuses should be saved and dropped only when they are needed, especially the airstrikes. Thus, you always want to end with them so that you aren't obligated to drop them immediately to build to your next bonus.

Using this line of thinking, the EMP is especially valuable. You have an air-support killer in your back pocket. You don't need a stinger, which means nobody on your team has to die to take down the enemy's air support. Or you can knock the EAD plane out of the sky before it even arrives (incredibly demoralizing). Just leave it alone until you need it.

(Pave Low is the exception here. It's always equally valuable, so it's not technically a situational bonus, but because it is so wonky with regards to building your streaks, you should always end with it so that you're not relying on it to get you to the next bonus).

For example, if you want to use the Precision Airstrike effectively, try running with UAV->(anything)->Precision Airstrike. Save the airstrike until a UAV is up - and if you die, the UAV happens to be the first thing you'll get! Call in the UAV, then pull back and drop the airstrike on top of that beautiful clump of red dots. Or, if you're playing Domination, wait until you hear "Losing B!" and call it in. Same goes for the Stealth Bomber.

And yes, the Attack Helicopter is entirely useless. You should never, ever use it unless you're trying to complete challenges. And if you do, for heaven's sakes, don't ever put it anywhere but the final slot.

lionelhutz

divisionbyzorro said:
The killstreak bonuses can be sliced as situational or immediate, and used as openers or finishers:

• A situational killstreak bonus is one that is best used when it is saved and released when the moment is right. By contrast, an immediate bonus is one that is just as valuable now or later.
  • Openers are killstreak bonuses that appear in the first or second bonus slot. Finishers are bonuses that appear in the third bonus slot.
  • If you want to use a situational bonus, you should always try to put it as your finisher, so that you aren't relying on it to bring you kills to get to your next bonus.

The situational bonuses are:

• Care Package
  • Sentry Gun
  • Precision Airstrike
  • Emergency Airdrop
  • Pave Low
  • Stealth Bomber
  • EMP

Obviously the Care Package can't be your final killstreak, but you also should save the marker and use it only when you're safely away from the front line. All of these other bonuses should be saved and dropped only when they are needed, especially the airstrikes. Thus, you always want to end with them so that you aren't obligated to drop them immediately to build to your next bonus.

Using this line of thinking, the EMP is especially valuable. You have an air-support killer in your back pocket. You don't need a stinger, which means nobody on your team has to die to take down the enemy's air support. Or you can knock the EAD plane out of the sky before it even arrives (incredibly demoralizing). Just leave it alone until you need it.

(Pave Low is the exception here. It's always equally valuable, so it's not technically a situational bonus, but because it is so wonky with regards to building your streaks, you should always end with it so that you're not relying on it to get you to the next bonus).

For example, if you want to use the Precision Airstrike effectively, try running with UAV->(anything)->Precision Airstrike. Save the airstrike until a UAV is up - and if you die, the UAV happens to be the first thing you'll get! Call in the UAV, then pull back and drop the airstrike on top of that beautiful clump of red dots. Or, if you're playing Domination, wait until you hear "Losing B!" and call it in. Same goes for the Stealth Bomber.

And yes, the Attack Helicopter is entirely useless. You should never, ever use it unless you're trying to complete challenges. And if you do, for heaven's sakes, don't ever put it anywhere but the final slot.

I'm usually pretty damn impatient with killstreak rewards. I find myself taking chances with aristrikes and sending them before a UAV is deployed.

LosDaddie

Banned
I made a post a few weeks ago about trying (unsuccessfully) to get the Eagle Emblem. Well I earned the emblem last night....without even really trying! :D

I hopped into a quick game of TDM, got a kill almost immediately, got a phone call from a friend, hid/went prone while I talked on the phone and before I knew it, the match ended with me going 1-0 and this bad boy is all mine:

Emblem-eagle.jpg

Goes perfectly with my Title:

Usaflag.jpg

Still playing/finishing SpecOps with a friend online. Should have Charlie done soon. Really awesome co-op.

lionelhutz said:
I'm usually pretty damn impatient with killstreak rewards. I find myself taking chances with aristrikes and sending them before a UAV is deployed.

That's the beauty of putting them at the end of your KS run - you don't have any real reason to use them immediately; you can save them until the right moment.

Ok, so whoever said that they were disappointed by how easy Veteran was in this game, how the FUCK do you beat "Enemy of my enemy?" This is by far the most difficult stage in any video game that I have ever played. I can barely fucking move in that level without being shot and every time that I move up towards the rally point, more enemies keep coming in behind me and killing me. Seriously, I'm amazed by how brutal the enemy AI is in this game. How the fuck do you find this "easy?"

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I've been skimming over the last few pages and didn't really see this clarified anywhere: the people saying they've removed Stopping Power, are you playing Hardcore or regular matches? Just curious.

Has anyone else been lagging like hell for past two days? Nearly 1/2 of the matches end in disconnection or "could not migrate host", fuck.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
PetriP-TNT said:
Has anyone else been lagging like hell for past two days? Nearly 1/2 of the matches end in disconnection or "could not migrate host", fuck.
yep. some games, more than half the time, I shoot a guy dead first, and then i go straight to killcam and watch as I fired nothing.

Spawning has been extra horrible too. Literally spawning in front of enemies, not even around corners from them. It's been fucking ridiculous. atleast 4 deaths a game where I run 3 feet, get shot/blown up/stabbed without even knowing where the hell I was in the map.

aku:jiki

TheOMan said:
I've been skimming over the last few pages and didn't really see this clarified anywhere: the people saying they've removed Stopping Power, are you playing Hardcore or regular matches? Just curious.
Always regular. I think hardcore is kinda stupid and not at all adjusted for all the new stuff in this game (compared to CoD4).

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Too little, too late... They need to overhaul the whole noobtube thing now. OMA-tubers are pretty rare now - instead, the OMA trend made everyone pretty decent at tubing so now they all put noobtubes on every class they have and you can't play a single game without someone spamming even without OMA. :(

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Whats the theory on using OMA over scavenger? I use scavenger on pretty much every class now and you can take two steps without resupplying.

Its crazy how many times in a row the same person will run through the same door and kill themselves on a claymore set in the same exact place.

Top Bottom