• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

aku:jiki said:
Not to defend the horrible lobby system, but you can. Party leader has to back out first.
just another step back from COD: World at War where the party leader could choose to back out with the entire party.

aku:jiki

moojito said:
I joined a game once that ended pretty much straight away and I got "most time played at the lowest altitude" or something.

Yeah, take that, bitches!
Every time this sort of stuff happens, I keep wishing I got the shortest life accolade. That's one of the few I've never gotten and it seems impossible to get! I didn't even get it back when the private match glitch was going and you'd die before you even spawned on Rust. WTF!

rezuth

Prestiged right now and went 20-9 in the being first level. Feels pretty okay so far, kinda fun to not relay on old playing habbits like claymore and tubes. Going up to level 4 from 1 in one match is super fun :lol

jayb

so I actually had a good match (for me) last night and went 18-1. My selected killstreaks were harrier, pavlow, and AC 130.

The problem was that after I called the pavlow, it easily racked up enough kills to get the AC 130 but it never unlocked. at that point I think I was around 16-0. The pavlow eventually left and still nothing.

Did I do something wrong or was that a glitch?

So, I want to talk about the shotgun...

Personally I hate the thing, not because of how powerful it is, but because of the type of play it seems to provoke. I just played a game where it seemed like the half the other team where simply using theyre shotgun exclusivly, but also just hiding in dark corners to catch people out. Ive noticed this type of thing from day one but have never found a game as infuriating as that.

I still did fairly well, and because they where just camping I managed to get them back after getting killed by them once, but then they would just relocate and 5 minuites later I would again get caught out.

Im just glad the Models are gone :lol

Jayb - The pavelow is glitched and doesnt always add to your killstreak unfortunatly.

jayb

bobs99 ... said:
Jayb - The pavelow is glitched and doesnt always add to your killstreak unfortunatly.

fffuuuu.jpg

moojito

I'd imagine people who would camp with shotguns wouldn't be smart enough to put on cold blooded. HBS to the rescue!

Failing that, scavenger + flash/stun grenades round corners to see the hit marker.

.nimrod

moojito said:
I'd imagine people who would camp with shotguns wouldn't be smart enough to put on cold blooded. HBS to the rescue!

Failing that, scavenger + flash/stun grenades round corners to see the hit marker.

coldblooded doesn't make you invisible to heartbeat sensors, ninja does.

moojito said:

Ah yeah dont get me wrong, theyre insanely easy to deal with, BUT theyre still really annoying :lol - like mosquitos its not till they bite that you realise theyre there!

Jayb maybe switch pavelow for something else? I would suggest predator, you will get your streak going much quicker and its not hard to get the 4 kills from harrier to AC130/ Chopper gunner especially if your harrier does well.

Pulka

bobs99 ... said:
Im think you have to get a kill before the Pave Low gets a kill, then it counts towards your killstreak.

careful

Probably not realistic to expect from IW, but I would still like to see a no killstreak playlist to see if it has any effect on people's play style. I don't recall any other online game where there's so much bitching about camping.

The grenade launcher also badly needs a fix. It was never this bad in COD4. The combination of infinite ammo via OMA/Scavenger and extra damage from Danger Close throw the balance way out of whack. It might be a party for the guy doing the tubing, but it ruins the fun for everyone else on the other team. Try playing against a team full of these guys and see how much fun it is. There's also no counter other than wasting an equipment slot on the Blast Shield and blacking out half your screen so you can survive only one blast.

I have a bit of hope seeing that they fixed the 1887s after all the bitching, but the community really needs to rage harder about tubes for them to take notice. Fixing OMA alone won't solve the issue. Scavenger should also not replenish your tube ammo. The blast radius should decrease significantly both with and without Danger Close.

So I joined two Ground War matches, back-to-back, that were running at hyper speed...

Fortunately, the rest of the session went great. Got my Stealth Bomber emblem! My prestige buddy needs to hurry up and get to 70 so I can start round 2...

Dresden said:
One thing I don't like is how late you unlock Cold Blooded, and Stingers. You wait till what, level 30? And until then, if you have bad luck you'll keep getting into terrible groups who don't understand the concept of BLOW UP THE FUCKING CHOPPER.

I prestiged yesterday for the second time and had the exact same problem..

Fuck that AT4 or whatever it is called bullshit you're supposed to shoot something with..

Oh and, the SPAS seems to be the side arm of choice right now. 1887s e.g. are pretty much carried by nobody.

Hyunkel6 said:
Most people say that it adds to your killstreak only if you did not die until you call it in.
To add to this, it also needs to be the first Pave Low activated in the entire match. Apparently the same is true for the Sentry Gun.

Dresden

Played two matches earlier using just the Raffica, I unlocked Akimbo in those two matches, needed fifty or so kills since I already had the silencer unlocked. Amazing fucking gun, it really is the PSP version of the FAMAS.

But I don't like Akimbo though, it just seems better if you can aim it. Akimbo, it's basically an awesome shotgun, but when one burst always kills two at once just seems pointless. And sniping people with a sidearm is always a plus.

ZZMitch

Accidentus said:
Nobody is trying to make the case that all PS3 or 360 players are bad. Just that in general players on the 360 tend to be better than those on the PS3 as evidenced by KDR's on both consoles. Idk what people don't understand about this.

Yeah, I had the PS3 version, but recently traded for the Xbox 360 version with a friend, on PS3 my k/d was 1.5, on xbox 360 it is 1.2, for some reason the players on the 360 version are better (and I run into a lot of people laying prone at chokepoints on the 360 that I didn't experience on the PS3 :lol )

Mush

lol, yesterday my brother and I came across the weirdest glitch. Everytime my brother brang up the score or paused the game the "Headshot" score bonus would flash on the screen. It only lasted for about half an hour or so.

Jrmint

What's up with this hyper speed glitch? A couple random matches I'm running around at like a million miles an hour, so of course I leave. Is this the newest bullshit?

Sorry if it has been discussed before, I was out of town for a week.

Skel said:
What's up with this hyper speed glitch? A couple random matches I'm running around at like a million miles an hour, so of course I leave. Is this the newest bullshit?

Sorry if it has been discussed before, I was out of town for a week.
It's been around for a while, along with other glitches that make the game play super slow. I'm guessing that IW failed to address this in their latest patch. My brother actually ran into the hyper speed glitch yesterday on Wasteland. Must be another private match type glitch.

Ah, and I forgot to mention that about a week ago, I was played Domination on Invasion. Spawned at C and capped that immediately, and the other team did the same with A. It was a fight over B for the whole match, and nobody ended up getting it. And then randomly when the score gets to 60-60 (I think, it might have been a different score), the game just randomly ended and I got the loss ... when the game was tied at 60. Anyone else experience this?

J2d

Patrick Bateman said:
Oh and, the SPAS seems to be the side arm of choice right now. 1887s e.g. are pretty much carried by nobody.
I used to be a SPAS guy but the AA12 with extended mags just fits my play style better.

Jrmint

I see. It is just odd that I never saw it before today, twice.

It is interesting you say he saw it on Wasteland, since the only times it has happened to me has been when I've been using a Sniper. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

Jrmint

backflip10019 said:
Ah, and I forgot to mention that about a week ago, I was played Domination on Invasion. Spawned at C and capped that immediately, and the other team did the same with A. It was a fight over B for the whole match, and nobody ended up getting it. And then randomly when the score gets to 60-60 (I think, it might have been a different score), the game just randomly ended and I got the loss ... when the game was tied at 60. Anyone else experience this?
Just noticed this second part of your post.

It happened to me once and I was not sure what it was at first either. I heard people talking in the lobby though that if all points are not capped after a certain time in the match that it ends in a draw. I have only ever seen it once in about 500 games or so.

Mush said:
lol, yesterday my brother and I came across the weirdest glitch. Everytime my brother brang up the score or paused the game the "Headshot" score bonus would flash on the screen. It only lasted for about half an hour or so.

Yep, this has also happened to me. Pretty funny stuff.

Damn, I was playing so well last night. Had one game where I went 32-1 in TDM and got a 30 kill streak. Only got like 5 or so kills with my chopper gunner, too. Too bad that I didn't have nuke equipped.

Dresden

I've always been a chopper gunner guy, but I started using the AC130 because I never got the emblem... so after two days, I had 23 AC130's and just two more to go. And AC sucks ass. Chopper gunner is so much better. AC130 is useful I suppose on Wasteland... but otherwise, it's way too easy for the other team to just camp out in buildings. It's a bit more durable, but that durability just means it takes one more Stinger shot to take it out.

Mileena

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
So, I want to talk about the shotgun...

Personally I hate the thing, not because of how powerful it is, but because of the type of play it seems to provoke. I just played a game where it seemed like the half the other team where simply using theyre shotgun exclusivly, but also just hiding in dark corners to catch people out. Ive noticed this type of thing from day one but have never found a game as infuriating as that.

I still did fairly well, and because they where just camping I managed to get them back after getting killed by them once, but then they would just relocate and 5 minuites later I would again get caught out.

Im just glad the Models are gone :lol

I'd be cool with the shotgun if it was a primary only like CoD4; I seriously don't know what fucking moron at IW was like "hay lets make it so u can use shotguns in ur secondary!"

Secondary should be pistols/machine pistols only IMO.

corkscrewblow said:
I'd be cool with the shotgun if it was a primary only like CoD4; I seriously don't know what fucking moron at IW was like "hay lets make it so u can use shotguns in ur secondary!"

Secondary should be pistols/machine pistols only IMO.

I also feel this way, but in the grand scheme of things dont think it would lead to a different experiance, maybe less people would use the shotguns? Im not so sure, so many people seem to use them as primarys now as it is.

Then again they where a lot rarer in COD4, maybe people didnt get a chance to equip them as they wanted to try other guns and just never bothered with them, I wish that was the case with MW2 :lol

Mush

Dresden said:
I've always been a chopper gunner guy, but I started using the AC130 because I never got the emblem... so after two days, I had 23 AC130's and just two more to go. And AC sucks ass. Chopper gunner is so much better. AC130 is useful I suppose on Wasteland... but otherwise, it's way too easy for the other team to just camp out in buildings. It's a bit more durable, but that durability just means it takes one more Stinger shot to take it out.
I agree to disagree. While I do agree that the Chopper Gunner is superior to the AC130, in certain situations the AC130 shines. For example, on Skidrow (where air support is next to useless) firing the 105/40mm cannons on the B spawn can rack up some amazing kills, where if you had the CGer you wouldn't be able to get in there.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Dresden said:

My friend did this to me a couple of times last night. He would lay on the ground and shoot people in the toes with his shotty when they ran around the corner. So I showed him my new class. It uses the HBS, Noobtoob, RPG, and Semtex with danger close. I'd find whatever building he was hiding in and fill it with BOOM.

Brian Fellows said:
My friend did this to me a couple of times last night. He would lay on the ground and shoot people in the toes with his shotty when they ran around the corner. So I showed him my new class. It uses the HBS, Noobtoob, RPG, and Semtex with danger close. I'd find whatever building he was hiding in and fill it with BOOM.

Ive played with someone who plays like him once and it sucked :lol - I guess its a good thing he normally ends up on your team

MrCompletely said:
just another step back from COD: World at War where the party leader could choose to back out with the entire party.

Speaking of WAW, I went back today to play a round. Great stuff. Probably won't touch MW2 competitive again. There also are alot less people online now so gaming is essentially lag free.

gobassgo

Banned
are the servers down for anybody? whenever i try to get online it says "communication with the xbox live servers has been interrupted"

kuYuri

bobs99 ... said:
I also feel this way, but in the grand scheme of things dont think it would lead to a different experiance, maybe less people would use the shotguns? Im not so sure, so many people seem to use them as primarys now as it is.

Then again they where a lot rarer in COD4, maybe people didnt get a chance to equip them as they wanted to try other guns and just never bothered with them, I wish that was the case with MW2 :lol

I don't really see what difference it makes... would you prefer dying by a shotgun if it was exclusively a primary weapon? You're still getting killed by it regardless.

aku:jiki

Every time I prestige, I try to give the SCAR an honest chance at redeeming itself in my eyes, but it's just not happening. I don't get the love for this POS at all, seriously. It's not remarkably stronger than any other AR but comes with like a 2 bullet cartridge and 10 spares. POS!

I did pull my two best triple kills ever tonight though! Real montage moments that made me cry a little on the inside for not having a capture card.

First one was TDM on Karachi. I was passing an alleyway and just turned right to check and saw some dude there, shot a 5-6 bullet burst into his chest, moved on and BAM - triple kill! I was like whaaaaaaaaaat. :lol Apparently they were all in perfect single file and my teammate was spraying them from the side.

Later in an S&D on Rundown, we knew they had the worst knifer ever in the history of MW2. The kind of dude who takes the exact same path every round, tries to stab you from 50 feet away, etc. Just terrible. In the second round, I knew he'd be taking the small bridge yet again so I ran to the typical camping spot and aimed. But he wasn't alone, he brought three buddies! That was the shortest round of S&D I've ever seen. :lol

Strider2K99 said:
I don't really see what difference it makes... would you prefer dying by a shotgun if it was exclusively a primary weapon? You're still getting killed by it regardless.
I have to agree. The argument that because people are using shotguns as primaries, they need to be made primaries makes absolutely no sense to me.

I don't understand the complaint about secondaries being powerful either. I just can't make heads or tails of that argument at all. What the hell is the problem supposed to be? Your secondary is just as powerful, whatever it is! I kind of have to assume that the people who complain about this are the people who absolutely refuse to learn when it's secondary time, and want to go primary constantly.

I mean, not that many people go shotgun only. They just know to switch when they go inside, and they killed you inside. Makes perfect sense to me.

By the way, does anyone know or heard when the first map pack is coming? I know it's Spring 2010, but it could mean anytime between now and July.

Hope it's coming the first week of March.

I have some point so I'm thinking about saving it, but I still want that Borderlands DLC.

Arrrgh! The dilemma!

kuYuri

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
By the way, does anyone know or heard when the first map pack is coming? I know it's Spring 2010, but it could mean anytime between now and July.

Hope it's coming the first week of March.

I have some point so I'm thinking about saving it, but I still want that Borderlands DLC.

Arrrgh! The dilemma!

Info is coming soon. Fourzerotwo tweeted about it about a day or two ago.

Mileena

Banned
I have to agree. The argument that because people are using shotguns as primaries, they need to be made primaries makes absolutely no sense to me.

I don't understand the complaint about secondaries being powerful either. I just can't make heads or tails of that argument at all. What the hell is the problem supposed to be? Your secondary is just as powerful, whatever it is! I kind of have to assume that the people who complain about this are the people who absolutely refuse to learn when it's secondary time, and want to go primary constantly.

I mean, not that many people go shotgun only. They just know to switch when they go inside, and they killed you inside. Makes perfect sense to me.
Shotguns as primary only would drastically reduce the number of people using them. They were really damn rare in CoD4 because that was your main gun, but now in MW2 you can have something that dominates at long range in primary (sniper) and something that dominates close range (SPAS, akimbo rangers, w/e) which is just fucking bullshit. Shotguns as secondary was an awful addition to the game period.

DoomGyver

I'm really starting to question the existence of sniper rifles in this game. I love the intervention, 50% of my kills are headshots, but it is so easy to put people down at long range with the famas/m16/scar/acr. I don't have a beef with the famas or m16 because it is burst fire and that gives you a disadvantage in close quarters.

They either need to add sway or decrease the damage ARs make at long range. Or give us more big maps like afghan and derail. Because 99% of the time the AR has the advantage in this game.

I've decided that the damage snipers make is balanced, except I think that the Intervention should have the power over the 50cal. A 5 round bolt action rifle should put people down faster than the 50cal for balance reasons. As it stands the 50 is better in almost every way. Leave the interventions power where it is, reduce the power of the 50cal or reduce its accuracy.

You know there are flaws when the majority of players have a scar, acr, and commando.

Every time I prestige, I try to give the SCAR an honest chance at redeeming itself in my eyes, but it's just not happening. I don't get the love for this POS at all, seriously. It's not remarkably stronger than any other AR but comes with like a 2 bullet cartridge and 10 spares. POS!

It's fantastic with Scavenger, but otherwise I agree with you. The ammo is too low to be useful. I'd take TAR over SCAR every day in a build without Scavenger.

That said, every single one of my main builds uses Scavenger, except for my runner build. I feel like it's the best blue perk, by far.

QFT.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Uhhh.. Any other PC players having problems with Steam Cloud finding their save files? I was just editing a class when it said it couldn't connect to Steam. I closed the game and when I tried to open it up again, it says it's having problems finding my save info in the steam cloud. I tried rebooting and it didn't fix it. Am I alone on this?

EDIT: Ok, now it's telling me steam is down for maintenance. That's better, I suppose.

Xux

Mush said:
I agree to disagree. While I do agree that the Chopper Gunner is superior to the AC130, in certain situations the AC130 shines. For example, on Skidrow (where air support is next to useless) firing the 105/40mm cannons on the B spawn can rack up some amazing kills, where if you had the CGer you wouldn't be able to get in there.

I've seen the Chopper Gunner fly right in front of the two holes in the wall where it totally destroyed the B flag.

Top Bottom