• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

I'm rocking a UAV/Care Package/Sentry Gun setup at the moment.

After weeks and weeks of nuke hunting and pretty much getting angry at the game, I've reverted back to the point where I was when I first started MW2 and loving the way in which you can be rewarded for a minimal number of kills. I got so few 20+ killstreaks that it annoyed me when I couldn't get there, and annoyed me even more when I died a few short of the nuke. :lol Not gonna equip anything higher than an AC130/Chopper Gunner for quite a while. :)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I find predator-harrier-emergency airdrop to be loads of fun. They tend to all come at once and trying to use the airdrop is all kinds of intense. Especially since I usually give mine away, finding a good spot that your team mates can gather, aiming the drop so you don't lose any packages and protecting them from enemy hands is one of the biggest buzzes. it's no 25 killstreak but it's exciting and rewarding in it's own unique way.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Full Recovery said:
I just went 29-0 on TDM Wasteland. But I didn't have my nuke equipped. :(

Man, how do you people do this? I'm on my second level prestige and the best streak I've ever had was 21 and I was shaking in my seat because I realized how good I was doing. I don't see how 29-0 is even possible.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Big Ass Ramp said:
Man, how do you people do this? I'm on my second level prestige and the best streak I've ever had was 21 and I was shaking in my seat because I realized how good I was doing. I don't see how 29-0 is even possible.

Luck, lots and lots of luck. If you manage to get a bunch of idiots not using cold blooded or stingers, your killstreaks will obliterate them.

pffft

Neo Member
Big Ass Ramp said:
most streaks i have are helped out by claymores, scavenger, and the aa-12

if i'm playing for k/d, my kit is:

scar ext mags
aa-12 grip or ext mags, i just unlocked ext mags so i'm trying it out, and so far it's really nice
claymore
flash

scavenger
stopping power
ninja/commando

i don't camp, but i'm definitely more of a defensive player, so i'm always near b protecting the flag.

trying using this and see what comes up.

kaizoku

man I went back to play gears of war 2 and after playing MW2, that game feels like such a pile of gigantic donkey shit. seriously.

the maps suck and are boring as hell. The guns all feel like crap and thanks to the worst netcode ever, you don't actually feel like you're hitting someone despite blood spilling all over the place and unloading a full clip into someone. that some levels only have one power weapon just means you're stuck with shitty defaults.

hell no one even uses cover anymore thanks to grenades and tiny maps making it kinda pointless.

I dont know why I loved gears 1 so much now, I'm convinced it was better but I can't explain fully why. maybe because the weapons encouraged people to play the game with cover and when people play properly on maps that are designed that way - it works. I preferred gears 1 to COD4!

But my point is, playing that just makes all the complainers in this thread look silly. There is no way in hell MW2 can be considered anything less than amazing when compared to that mess. I mean they had a formula which worked and they couldnt even stick to their own damn formula!

whitehawk

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
My best killstreak is 39, but that's because the other team kept spawning in the exact same spot :lol (chopper gunner).

Before that my best KS was 27, without the chopper gunner. It's hard to get a 10+ killstreak, I was really lucky the 3 time I've gotten a nuke.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm so good at this game I just 44-7.

(sorry; allow me to poke fun for a second).

Reading that out loud is hilarious:

"I'm so good at this game I just forty-four seven!!!"

Now I'm starting to wonder what dirty deed "forty-four seven" is an euphemism for.

My new kit that is working GREAT for me. First time I can say that I've got a loadout that I'm happy with.

M16A4 with HBS
SPA w/ Grip
Scavenger Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Commando Pro

Claymore
Smoke

For me, HBS is a game changer, having an idea where the enemy is regardless of UAVs, radar jamming, etc is just so damn useful. If you play nice and deliberate, you can completely decimate the other team. Taking advice from someone in this thread I've come to really appreciate the importance of holding down an area. This doesn't mean camping, as I'm still capping flags, but holding a key strategic area that guards two flags (in domination) can make a huge difference for your team.

I'm regularly getting 2+ k/d ratio, along with "most points captured".

My killstreaks are: Harrier->Pave Low->AC130

Getting to harrier doesn't happen too often, but when it does it can definitely turn the tides. I am thinking about changing the Pave Low to Stealth Bomber.

Omar Ismail said:
My new kit that is working GREAT for me. First time I can say that I've got a loadout that I'm happy with.

M16A4 with HBS
SPA w/ Grip
Scavenger Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Commando Pro

Claymore
Smoke

For me, HBS is a game changer, having an idea where the enemy is regardless of UAVs, radar jamming, etc is just so damn useful. If you play nice and deliberate, you can completely decimate the other team. Taking advice from someone in this thread I've come to really appreciate the importance of holding down an area. This doesn't mean camping, as I'm still capping flags, but holding a key strategic area that guards two flags (in domination) can make a huge difference for your team.

Getting to harrier doesn't happen too often, but when it does it can definitely turn the tides. I am thinking about changing the Pave Low to Stealth Bomber.

I highly suggest switching to Predator -> Harrier -> AC130, unless you're deliberately going for certain killstreak challenges. First of all, the Pave Low is bugged and often won't contribute to your current streak. Second, you'll hit the Predator unassisted a hell of a lot more often than you will the Harrier, and it will give you at least one, often two kills. Two kills is a free Harrier, which can then easily get you the four kills for the AC130. Rinse and repeat.

careful

I never really gave SoH much of a chance in the beginning. Figured it wasn't worth it and most of the other blue perks were better.
I recently switched back to it on my rushing/offensive class to give it another chance and wow, I could really feel a difference in face to face encounters. I'd say it makes as much of a difference as Stopping Power for what it does.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Big Ass Ramp said:

Its gotta be tough. When ever I start to get to 20 kills the game ends because my team reached the score limit. To get that high means the rest of your team would have to be doing pretty bad. Which makes 29-0 all the more impressive.

My highest streak is 27 but that was in CTF which is a lot less impressive.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, I've gotten maybe 3 kills with various sniper rifles before deciding it just wasn't for me. If I want to snipe, I'll just pop an ACOG on my assault rifle. It's pretty satisfying that way too.

DMasta718

Banned
My highest killstreak is 34 and I've yet to get a nuke. It's like every time I equip it just to get it I fail and then in other games I get to 20 at times when I don't have the nuke on.

Jrmint

kaizoku said:
man I went back to play gears of war 2 and after playing MW2, that game feels like such a pile of gigantic donkey shit. seriously.

the maps suck and are boring as hell. The guns all feel like crap and thanks to the worst netcode ever, you don't actually feel like you're hitting someone despite blood spilling all over the place and unloading a full clip into someone. that some levels only have one power weapon just means you're stuck with shitty defaults.

hell no one even uses cover anymore thanks to grenades and tiny maps making it kinda pointless.

I dont know why I loved gears 1 so much now, I'm convinced it was better but I can't explain fully why. maybe because the weapons encouraged people to play the game with cover and when people play properly on maps that are designed that way - it works. I preferred gears 1 to COD4!

But my point is, playing that just makes all the complainers in this thread look silly. There is no way in hell MW2 can be considered anything less than amazing when compared to that mess. I mean they had a formula which worked and they couldn't even stick to their own damn formula!
God this is so true. I still play Gears 2 with my buddy sometimes because he is like my best friend, but he refuses to play MW2. He played it once at a friends house and goes "this sucks" because he didn't understand it or ever play again. Pisses me off because I have put 8 days into MW2 at this point and he won't touch it, and is always asking me to do Horde. I can't even deal with regular Gears 2 multiplayer at this point.

Sushen

pffft said:
most streaks i have are helped out by claymores, scavenger, and the aa-12

if i'm playing for k/d, my kit is:

scar ext mags
aa-12 grip or ext mags, i just unlocked ext mags so i'm trying it out, and so far it's really nice
claymore
flash

scavenger
stopping power
ninja/commando

i don't camp, but i'm definitely more of a defensive player, so i'm always near b protecting the flag.

trying using this and see what comes up.
That's pretty much my fav setup as well. I can easily create a chock point for enemies with unlimited supply of ammos and claymores. I found commando the most useful perk 3 as I can stab enemies quite far away.

pffft

Neo Member
Omar Ismail said:

M16A4 with HBS
SPA w/ Grip
Scavenger Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Commando Pro

Claymore
Smoke

i'm fairly confident using the grip on the spas is a waste of an attachment, since it's a pump action shotgun anyway, you won't be firing consecutive shots fast enough for recoil to really make a difference.

tsigo

DMasta718 said:
My highest killstreak is 34 and I've yet to get a nuke. It's like every time I equip it just to get it I fail and then in other games I get to 20 at times when I don't have the nuke on.

Well, why do you unequip it? Once I finished all of the killstreak challenges (animated icons) I pretty much equipped Harrier/Gunner/Nuke full-time. I change to more team-supporting ones depending on the game type or to lower ones when I don't care about getting a nuke and just want to have fun with them.

kaizoku

for long killstreaks, there is a lot of luck involved, but also a lot of skill and strategy. thats why the best players always get the killstreaks and do best over the course of a few sessions.

maybe we can share some general tips on what we all seem to do when we have good games and maybe compare to when we have bad ones.

Whenever I get a good run going, I always find myself doing similar things that just click. I don't rush. the key is not to be faster on the trigger than the enemy, the key is to be already aiming/shooting at the enemy before you see each other i.e. experience tells you there could be some guy here or coming over here and you're already in a position to shoot that guy. Or you know he's coming to you so you ambush him.

I think one thing I seem to switch on and off subconsciously is how high I have my camera when I move, I usually have it at waist or even knee height so I have my crosshairs out of the way when I walk. This is where I get an average score cos I'll be shooting someone's legs or something and it takes that much longer to kill them. Sometimes I seem to have it much nearer enemy heads and chests so when I come to shoot, less aiming involved.

When I struggle and I start rushing, I end up getting wasted. Sometimes I get my packback and thats fine but if I kept my cool I could've come away better off. One of my better killstreaks lately was on subway (snow one?) and I was getting killed left right and center, I was like 5 deaths to 0 within a minute or something. I started off trying to run and flank, then being stealthy, then straight up SCAR-H, nothing was working, couldnt gt a read on where the enemy was coming from or going to, they were everywhere. so I decided to just sit tight and control that central corridor and help my team control the flow of the map. I held down that central corridor on my own for the rest of the game and got a 16 killstreak out of it pulling myself way back into the positives and up the ranking. Not sure if thats considered camping or not, its a pretty big space with 2 wide entrances and I wasn't exactly hiding, but I don't care, I had to stop hurting my team and it was effective.

I bet the most common killstreaks are achieved in similar ways i.e. you let the enemy come to you and if you're lucky they will just keep on coming and let you mow them down.

My friend who's a pretty average player went 33-0 on wasteland cos he was near C looking into the cave and shooting people through the wood on the other side and they just kept on coming back for more. eventually he got a chopper gunner and went to town.

claymores are my best friend, I probably get at least a 3rd of my kills from them, I'm surprised I don't see them around more often tbh. oh, important tip, if you see a team mate put down a claymore, don't put one right next to it, thats fucking stupid.

pffft said:
i'm fairly confident using the grip on the spas is a waste of an attachment, since it's a pump action shotgun anyway, you won't be firing consecutive shots fast enough for recoil to really make a difference.

Are you crazy? Have you tested SPAS + Grip yourself? :lol It's BEAST! It's also the only attachment worth a shit.

Mileena

Banned
I just run around with a silenced UMP and Marathon/SP/Ninja and usually get two Choppers or AC130s per game (Demolition) as long as it's not a blowout and goes to the third round. This works best on maps like Skidrow, Favela, Terminal, Highrise, etc.

Also, I have fully incorporate drop shotting into my game now and I pretty much never lose CQ one on ones. It's beautiful.

DarknessTear said:
Are you crazy? Have you tested SPAS + Grip yourself? :lol It's BEAST! It's also the only attachment worth a shit.
yea this. Although I prefer the Striker+Grip over any shotgun. Been using Raffica secondary recently though.

Fantasmo

Amazing what some practice and the right loadout can do.

Where I used to have horrible matches like 3-10 or even worse, now I'm always in the positive and sometimes get matches like 26-6 or 15-2 or 19-1. Wow!

M16 with Red Dot and Stopping lets me snipe. AA-12 wrecks rooms. SitRep Pro with surround sound lets me almost always know when they're coming. UAV and Claymores keep me and my team safe. Scavenger keeps me firing. Care package sometimes racks up the kills, and harrier does too.

Not to mention I really learned the maps.

aku:jiki

Tamanon said:
If I want to snipe, I'll just pop an ACOG on my assault rifle. It's pretty satisfying that way too.
This is exactly why sniping sucks and the sniper rifles need a serious buffing. All the weapons in the game are better at sniping than the actual sniper rifles! You guys who don't snipe have no idea how hard it can be. You have to duck and move around like a motherfucker and when you hop out to shoot, you have to be the flash on meth to not get countersniped by a dude just chilling with his ACR.

You also get revenge killed more than anybody else in the game - everybody and their mom knows about the sniper spots because they use them to camp with their FAMAS!

DarknessTear said:
You're imagining it. Grip does basically nothing on SPAS.

There are theories that it affects pellet spread and I've posted about that myself, but the discussion on that is ongoing and nobody has proven anything either way. The 80-20 game I posted about the other day was all SPAS with RDS - can't say I notice a difference now that I don't use the grip anymore.

Steady Aim is a better choice than the grip for a SPAS. Need to have those twitch reaction shots for when a knifer comes around the corner.

kaizoku said:
for long killstreaks, there is a lot of luck involved, but also a lot of skill and strategy. thats why the best players always get the killstreaks and do best over the course of a few sessions.
Yeah, I'd say the best tip for nuking is to realize that there's only so far your skill will take you in this game. You have to get lucky - you can't help it if the game suddenly changes spawn and you have 5 enemies coming from all directions, it's not your fault that the guy with 1 bar refuses to quit and join another game and keeps lagging around being invincible and you really couldn't have predicted that blindfired noobtube from across the map. So don't beat yourself up and don't get too mad at the game - that'll only make your next attempt that much harder.

(This advice is basically impossible to follow. FFFFFFUUUUUU RRRRRRAAAAAAAAGE)

It's amazing what a difference a weapon swap can make. As I mentioned a couple pages back, I decided to take my own advice and dropped Stopping Power from all of my kits. Yesterday, I got fed up with the AK-47 at range without SP and switched to the TAR. Holy crap - after using the AK-47 exclusively for 700+ kills, the TAR feels like a laser by comparison. I even tracked an enemy across a doorway and killed him through the wall while silenced; that was something I could never do with the AK-47. I think the TAR might be my absolute favorite Hardline AR.

tsigo

Tar-21 was the mainstay in my stealth kit for a whole prestige. Silencer makes it feel more accurate and it doesn't suffer from lack of stopping power at all.

tsigo said:
Tar-21 was the mainstay in my stealth kit for a whole prestige. Silencer makes it feel more accurate and it doesn't suffer from lack of stopping power at all.
This. Half of my nukes have come from the silenced Tar. The other came from a mix of M16 and ACR.

Aumann

Sorry if this question has been asked/answered already but have any of you been in a game where movement in every direction except forward is sped up? I joined a game a little while ago like that and when i started to run i zipped across the map and was like wtf? i even changed lobby and the next one was the same

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Aumann said:
Sorry if this question has been asked/answered already but have any of you been in a game where movement in every direction except forward is sped up? I joined a game a little while ago like that and when i started to run i zipped across the map and was like wtf? i even changed lobby and the next one was the same

I experienced one round of this last night. Some guy said that he had performed a hack or something right before the game began.

It was kind of fun jumping from one end of the map to the other in only two jumps though.

Belfast

If there's one thing I can say about CoD/MW2, it's that the gameplay style is VERY fast and VERY clean, which would be absolutely wonderful if it wasn't for all the netcode fuck-ups. But on a fundamental level, it works very well.

Dresden

I always thought the ACR was a peashooter and worthless in general, and after unlocking red tiger on it that's still my opinion on it... but goddamn isn't it easy to use. I popped Thermal on it for lulz and used it on TDM in underpass. So hilarious and good. Ended up flying around with two chopper gunners that round.

I've been rolling around with FMJ usually on it so I can grab Extended Mags and hopefully finish out all the challenges for it. Have about 12 penetration kills so far, all of them accidental.

And my highest killstreak is 36, but that was near the beginning of the game when people didn't know what Stingers were used for. I spawn-trapped an entire group in Favela with the chopper gunner.

scoobs

what the...? I just jumped onto the PC version and it says theres currently 0 people playing the game online. Is there a quick fix for this?

Cep

Banned
scoobs said:
what the...? I just jumped onto the PC version and it says theres currently 0 people playing the game online. Is there a quick fix for this?

Activision: 'Get a console noob.'

Strange though, I have not heard of anything, but then again, I do not play multi-player.

UFRA

scoobs said:

Hmm, so the boycott was successful afterall.

Full Recovery said:
I've started to do the same.

Intervention + FMJ
Spas + FMJ

SoH pro (because I can no longer snipe without it)
CB pro
ninja or steady aim

The only thing that gets me from time to time is the switch rate of the shotgun, sometimes I'd rather just have an m9 but the spas is greater in every other way.

You're right actually in the SoH over marathon, I prefer that as well just had that up as it was scrapyard I was on. The switch rate gets me as well sometimes, the animation looks crappy too like the guy's arm freezes for one count then switches.

Wthermans

Banned
scoobs said:
I'm having this bug as well, but I'm still able to connect to games.

jiien

divisionbyzorro said:
It's amazing what a difference a weapon swap can make. As I mentioned a couple pages back, I decided to take my own advice and dropped Stopping Power from all of my kits. Yesterday, I got fed up with the AK-47 at range without SP and switched to the TAR. Holy crap - after using the AK-47 exclusively for 700+ kills, the TAR feels like a laser by comparison. I even tracked an enemy across a doorway and killed him through the wall while silenced; that was something I could never do with the AK-47. I think the TAR might be my absolute favorite Hardline AR.

Haha yeah, TAR is one of my favorite ARs regardless of what perks I'm using. But goddamn, it is ugly as hell.

I love using the TAR with Sleight of Hand and Steady Aim. Hip firing it is ridiculously viable.

On a side note, fuck Sony for not letting me play this game while you guys continue to talk about. RAWR.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuper LTTP but I finally got around to beating the SP.

I thought it was OK and it felt a lot shorter than COD4. I played on Normal for both as well. I really did enjoy the various twists and surprises towards the end of the game and the ending was satisfying but I guess they had to leave some material for MW3. However, none of the missions really stood out for me like "All Ghillied Up" and "Death From Above" did in COD4. It felt really rushed.

The "controversial" scene was eh...didn't think it was necessary. I did get pretty "inspired" to kill people later on so I guess it worked on me.

Time to really sink my teeth into the MP. I have COD4 for the PS3 so trying to get used to the 360 controls is gonna take me some time.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
scoobs said:

This is happening to me too right now. I was tinkering with my classes and when I went to test it out, it couldn't find any games. What's the deal?

EDIT: Steam forums lighting up over this. We are not the only ones, that's for sure. This is ridiculous. I really wanted to play some online tonight. Damnit.

careful

If I prestige, will the new challenges keep track of gun kills past 1000?
I've been staying at 70 for a long time now and unlocked attachments for almost every gun. My plan was never to prestige, but that extra custom slot would be really nice since I love playing around with different setups... But then losing all the attachments for random guns I don't use often would be pretty brutal.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
careful said:
If I prestige, will the new challenges keep track of gun kills past 1000?
I've been staying at 70 for a long time now and unlocked attachments for almost every gun. My plan was never to prestige, but that extra custom slot would be really nice since I love playing around with different setups... But then losing all the attachments for random guns I don't use often would be pretty brutal.

The prestige challenges for guns go to 2500 kills.

So I had my first real session of Spec Ops last night - that was really a lot of fun! We went throught all of Alpha, and half of Bravo, Charlie, and Delta, all on Veteran difficulty. I see what all the hype is about, but after 6.5 days of multiplayer, there were a few things that made it feel so weird. Specifically, I forgot that there are no hit markers in non-multiplayer modes! That, plus the lack of feedback on kills, made it feel really unfamiliar.

But it really was a lot of fun!

rezuth

divisionbyzorro said:
So I had my first real session of Spec Ops last night - that was really a lot of fun! We went throught all of Alpha, and half of Bravo, Charlie, and Delta, all on Veteran difficulty. I see what all the hype is about, but after 6.5 days of multiplayer, there were a few things that made it feel so weird. Specifically, I forgot that there are no hit markers in non-multiplayer modes! That, plus the lack of feedback on kills, made it feel really unfamiliar.

But it really was a lot of fun!
:( I wish I had someone to play Spec Ops with.

Jrmint

rezuth said:
:( I wish I had someone to play Spec Ops with.
You on 360? I need someone to spec ops with too. Send me a PM if you want to play.

As for the TAR-21, I agree it is great with Hardline. What do you guys use for the first perk with TAR? I usually go back and forth from Bling (Silencer and Grenade) to Scavenger Pro to sometimes SoH Pro. What do you guys like best for it?

0OoO0

Haven't been following this game lately...does anyone know if the developer will be releasing new maps for multiplayer? I am so sick of all the multiplayer maps

th3dude

0OoO0 said:
Haven't been following this game lately...does anyone know if the developer will be releasing new maps for multiplayer? I am so sick of all the multiplayer maps
Supposed to be an expansion pack/map pack in the works, but not much info yet to my knowledge.

Top Bottom