• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Jrmint

That's a good question.

Personally, though, I prefer the M1014. The range is almost as good as the Spas, and my biggest issue with the Spas is, if you miss the first shot you are pretty much dead.

The M10 on the other hand can fire very quickly and be accurate (from the hip which is how I always shoot my shotgun) and reliably kill in 1 shot as a defensive secondary (ie running through narrow hallways, etc).

There's my 2 cents.

Skel said:
That's a good question.

Personally, though, I prefer the M1014. The range is almost as good as the Spas, and my biggest issue with the Spas is, if you miss the first shot you are pretty much dead.

The M10 on the other hand can fire very quickly and be accurate (from the hip which is how I always shoot my shotgun) and reliably kill in 1 shot as a defensive secondary (ie running through narrow hallways, etc).

There's my 2 cents.
Yeah, while the M1014 might be more reliable since it's automatic, it's just not all that practical for most scenarios in which you'll be using a shotgun, especially if you're using it as a primary weapon. The M1014 has four shots per reload so it's probably not your best bet if you're going to be running around the whole time with it.

Personally, I would go with the SPAS with SoH (I'm pretty sure that it does reduce the pump time), SP and Steady Aim. I feel like right now, post 1887-nerf, the SPAS has the best range and the best power out of all of the shotguns. Does the grip increase the SPAS' range? I've heard both yes and no.

Miggytronz

divisionbyzorro said:
Time for a dumb question!

I've decided I'm going to build a shotgun focused class for my session tonight, and I'm trying to decide which shotgun/perk combination to go with. I almost always use shotguns as defensive secondary weapons, not as primary offense weapons, so it's going to be an experiment for me. I'm typically a fan of either Marathon or Scavenger for blue perks, but there's one thing I'm curious about. I almost never use Sleight of Hand because I feel like it encourages poor play (too much reloading), but I'm wondering if it would decrease the pump action time of the SPAS-12. I know it will reload faster, but will it let me get the next round out faster?

I once had AA-12 with extended mags; scavenger, stopping power, steady aim. Only used it on close quarters maps but man it was awesome to just mow with it.

divisionbyzorro said:
Time for a dumb question!

I've decided I'm going to build a shotgun focused class for my session tonight, and I'm trying to decide which shotgun/perk combination to go with. I almost always use shotguns as defensive secondary weapons, not as primary offense weapons, so it's going to be an experiment for me. I'm typically a fan of either Marathon or Scavenger for blue perks, but there's one thing I'm curious about. I almost never use Sleight of Hand because I feel like it encourages poor play (too much reloading), but I'm wondering if it would decrease the pump action time of the SPAS-12. I know it will reload faster, but will it let me get the next round out faster?

Please dont be that guy :(

By the way, what do you mean by too much reloading being poor play? I reload all the time, but im using AR's so typically I have to, I assume your talking about weapons with deeper clips?

If you have the time to reload you should reload after every kill in my opinion, theres nothing worse than not having enough bullets to kill your enemy.

bobs99 ... said:
By the way, what do you mean by too much reloading being poor play? I reload all the time, but im using AR's so typically I have to, I assume your talking about weapons with deeper clips?

If you have the time to reload you should reload after every kill in my opinion, theres nothing worse than not having enough bullets to kill your enemy.

It's a proven, scientific fact that reloading your gun summons the nearest enemy to your position. :lol Seriously though, I tend to advise against reloading after every kill, as reloading puts you in an incredibly vulnerable position in a game where staying alive is difficult enough. If you have enough bullets left in your clip to kill with, leave it be.

So we don't know 100% for sure about SoH with the SPAS? I guess I'll play around with it and find out tonight.

divisionbyzorro said:
It's a proven, scientific fact that reloading your gun summons the nearest enemy to your position. :lol Seriously though, I tend to advise against reloading after every kill, as reloading puts you in an incredibly vulnerable position in a game where staying alive is difficult enough. If you have enough bullets left in your clip to kill with, leave it be.

So we don't know 100% for sure about SoH with the SPAS? I guess I'll play around with it and find out tonight.

Ah fair enough :lol - constant reloading is just ingrained in me and I guess my playstyle has just adapted to make it work. It sucks running into a few enemys and not having enough shots to kill all of em, which is part of the reason I love Scavenger Pro. I agree though getting rushed while reloading is the worst thing ever.

My worst moment on CoD involves being 1 kill away from a Nuke but getting screwed over because of an EMP. I saw my victim and shot a single bullet and just heard the clicking of an empty gun, and got totally demolished.

Still gives me nightmares.

bobs99 ... said:
Ah fair enough :lol - constant reloading is just ingrained in me and I guess my playstyle has just adapted to make it work. It sucks running into a few enemys and not having enough shots to kill all of em, which is part of the reason I love Scavenger Pro. I agree though getting rushed while reloading is the worst thing ever.

I'm with you on the Scavenger love. I use scavenger on every class except for rushing classes, which have Marathon. Scavenger and claymores are a deadly combination.

mr_boo

Mikasangelos said:
I once had AA-12 with extended mags; scavenger, stopping power, steady aim. Only used it on close quarters maps but man it was awesome to just mow with it.
I'm on the quest to unlock Extended Mags on the AA-12 - it's a chore...400 kill requirement is obnoxious. I haven't played around with too many secondaries, but I am with you...it seems to me that AA-12 is probably one of the best defensive secondaries - Extended Mags just reinforces its ability to spam. However (again in my experiences only), Akimbo Rafficas' advantage over the AA-12 is the quick switch time. So I'm not really sure when one should use the Akimbo Rafficas over AA-12 and vice versa - again I'm talking from a defensive perspective only where you're being rushed.

Edit: Maybe AA-12's somewhat of a mix of a defensive and offensive secondary whereas the Akimbo Rafficas are better defensively due to the quick switch time.

careful

I'd also go with the SPAS for offensive shotgun play. Add Stopping Power and Steady Aim to maximize the range. For blue perk, you could make the case for either Marathon or SoH, but Marathon is probably better for catching people by surprise on the flanks.

Miggytronz

mr_boo said:
I'm on the quest to unlock Extended Mags on the AA-12 - it's a chore...400 kill requirement is obnoxious. I haven't played around with too many secondaries, but I am with you...it seems to me that AA-12 is probably one of the best defensive secondaries - Extended Mags just reinforces its ability to spam. However (again in my experiences only), Akimbo Rafficas' advantage over the AA-12 is the quick switch time. So I'm not really sure when one should use the Akimbo Rafficas over AA-12 and vice versa - again I'm talking from a defensive perspective only where you're being rushed.

Edit: Maybe AA-12's somewhat of a mix of a defensive and offensive secondary whereas the Akimbo Rafficas are better defensively due to the quick switch time.

i can agree with this. Rafica also has some decent range, it really makes me foam when i get killed by them. LOL.

aku:jiki

careful said:
I'd also go with the SPAS for offensive shotgun play. Add Stopping Power and Steady Aim to maximize the range. For blue perk, you could make the case for either Marathon or SoH, but Marathon is probably better for catching people by surprise on the flanks.
This! You want to flank constantly when you're shotgunning, otherwise you're just gonna get gangbanged all the time.

I was gonna post hate for the M1014 earlier but just now I discovered how great it is with hipfire. Really useful in the corridor on Skidrow for sure. Feels like I actually make longer shots from the hip than when I ADS too; doesn't make sense but I had a way easier time with it when I decided to exclusively hipfire it.

mr_boo said:
Raffica is awesome at everything! I love putting it on a running class and using it as primary. They reach much further than the rest of the community seems to be aware of, which usually works out beautifully. They think they have all the time in the world to counter my attack, but I just keep spamming bursts and down they go!

Edit: I'm 65 on 9th prestige right now, and for the last two laps all I've done is just grind to get it done already. Cannot wait to start playing more for fun, but these last five levels always take sooo long! :(

DoomGyver

All of the shotguns are better off being hip fired only, ADS does not help one bit.

M1014 with ext mags is still the best :p but I don't use it as much now that I've been going for magnum kills.

mr_boo

aku:jiki said:
Raffica is awesome at everything! I love putting it on a running class and using it as primary. They reach much further than the rest of the community seems to be aware of, which usually works out beautifully. They think they have all the time in the world to counter my attack, but I just keep spamming bursts and down they go!
Yes, you're the guy that recommended them to me on my Sniper Kit and I've never turned back. Akimbo Rafficas feel more like a primary weapon than secondary...Thanks again :D

Full Recovery said:
All of the shotguns are better off being hip fired only, ADS does not help one bit.

M1014 with ext mags is still the best :p but I don't use it as much now that I've been going for magnum kills.

I've been doing that a lot this prestige. Akimbo Magnums kick ass. With steady aim, they are ridiculously accurate. I stood on the roof of Favela above Bravo and killed a sniper on the roof above Charlie with them. Didn't even have Stopping Power. And I'm not even kidding.

jiien

Lies. "Quickscoping" the SPAS is amazing.

Just for the sake of clarity, I actually thought someone in this thread did some spread testing and showed that hip firing and ADS for shotguns was exactly the same. Maybe I'm remembering wrong?

mr_boo said:
Yes, you're the guy that recommended them to me on my Sniper Kit and I've never turned back. Akimbo Rafficas feel more like a primary weapon than secondary...Thanks again :D
No worries! I'm just glad I can put the 30 days I've sunk into this game to some actual use. :lol

jiien said:
Just for the sake of clarity, I actually thought someone in this thread did some spread testing and showed that hip firing and ADS for shotguns was exactly the same. Maybe I'm remembering wrong?
I have no idea, you're probably right... But it just feels awesome to quickscope the SPAS. :D

aww what the hell, I thought killing somebody while they remote control the AC-130 would make it go away. So he just spawns and continues controlling it?

JustHadToJoin said:
aww what the hell, I thought killing somebody while they remote control the AC-130 would make it go away. So he just spawns and continues controlling it?

He continues controlling it and respawns once it's destroyed or times out.

jiien

JustHadToJoin said:

Yep, same with Chopper Gunner. In fact, I don't think you actually respawn if killed while controlling them till after the killstreak you're controlling ends. So you couldn't, say, keep killing a guy over and over while he's controlling the killstreak.

divisionbyzorro said:
He continues controlling it and respawns once it's destroyed or times out.
In S&D, the killstreak control actually does stop if you find him.

Really don't know why they included that only in S&D - it really should be the same for all modes. Same thing with the killstreak timer... It's there in S&D, but not in Demolition or CTF? Everybody saves their Predator for that easy multi-kill!

In S&D, the killstreak control actually does stop if you find him.

Really don't know why they included that only in S&D - it really should be the same for all modes. Same thing with the killstreak timer... It's there in S&D, but not in Demolition or CTF? Everybody saves their Predator for that easy multi-kill!

On a similar tangent, S&D should be the only playlist that disables party chat.

Just saying.

Nizz

Lies. "Quickscoping" the SPAS is amazing.
This is sort of a technique I use when using the SPAS. My method's probably closer to drag-shotting. I've used this method for a bit but never knew it had a specific name.

Funny how I rage quit because of the super knifers and all around horrible time I was having, yet after only a day away from the game, I went right back to it.

Also upped the sens to 4 from 3 and it's better for me. Will try to up it to 5 if I'm comfortable enough...

Dresden

I don't think I've ever sighted down with the Spas, and I have about a thousand kills on it. It's just habit from the CoD4/WaW days when ADS actually made the shotgun's spread worse.

Also, I think the holo sight for the Tar21 cuts down the recoil. It feels like a faster-firing Scar with it on. Crazy stuff, maybe it's just placebo or something. But after the hidden bonuses holo sight gives to the Fal or the M16, who knows.

Full Recovery said:

But faster reloading and pump-action certainly does. :p

Dresden

backflip10019 said:
But faster reloading and pump-action certainly does. :p
If you are talking about sleight of hand, I highly doubt it helps the pump-action. In COD4 it was Double Tap that boosted pump speed.

Mush

I never got the love for Crash. I always loved Overgrown. Looking at the video posted earlier Storm looks like it will be heavily dominated by Shotguns. Its like Vacant 2.0, which I don't mind. :lol

Dresden said:
If you are talking about sleight of hand, I highly doubt it helps the pump-action. In COD4 it was Double Tap that boosted pump speed.
Earth to Meekus, there is no Double Tap in MW2. Sleight of Hand is the closest thing.

mr_boo

fps fanatic said:
Also upped the sens to 4 from 3 and it's better for me. Will try to up it to 5 if I'm comfortable enough...
That's what I'm in the process of doing now as well, upping the sensitivity that is. I've only moved from default to default + 1 thus far (2 to 3 ?) - what I've noticed is that it's helped my sniping noticeably but it's hurt my AR play some due to the adjustment time; my SMG play is more or less not effected. I'll probably migrate up to default+2 once I feel more comfortable with the current setting.

I actually tested out 5 or 6 at one point and it just gave me a huge headache. Hipfiring was a motion nightmare.

I play at 5. Definitely a solid setting for sniping and quick scoping.

For some reason, one day my brother decided to turn it on 10 and now he can't play at any slower than that. And he snipes all the time, too, and has a K/D of around 1.8. It makes no sense to me how anyone can play at that sensitivity or why it's even an option. Every time I try playing at 10, I can't even run around corners without bumping into walls.

Dresden

backflip10019 said:
Earth to Meekus, there is no Double Tap in MW2. Sleight of Hand is the closest thing.
I don't think you understood me, pump action is affected by firing speed and I doubt they changed it for MW2. Sleight of Hand doesn't do shit for the Spas-12's firing speed. Do you even play with the goddamn gun? It used to be my secondary of choice for sniping builds and I used it with SoH Pro a lot. No difference whatsoever.

backflip10019 said:
I play at 5. Definitely a solid setting for sniping and quick scoping.

For some reason, one day my brother decided to turn it on 10 and now he can't play at any slower than that. And he snipes all the time, too, and has a K/D of around 1.8. It makes no sense to me how anyone can play at that sensitivity or why it's even an option. Every time I try playing at 10, I can't even run around corners without bumping into walls.
Its all about your style. I'm willing to bet that you mash the right stick all the way when you turn left or right... I play on 9, so I barely move the stick off-center to turn. The advantage of high sensitivity is enormous.

jiien said:

quick-scoping the spas is more effective for two reasons:

1) easier headshots when in ADS
2) in the period between hipfire and ADS the spread shrinks (or as least the reticle for hipfire shirnks)

kuYuri

I've been using Akimbo Raffica's with my sniper class as well this prestige and I fell in love. Actually, on a side note, this is also my first prestige were I've used Akimbo SMGs and it's stupid fun running around with them.

But yeah, with my sniper class, I'm using Akimbo Rafficas and Last Stand Pro. Even when I get downed to Last Stand, if I just fire in the general direction and my opponent is close enough, I usually kill them. I'm already close to unlocking extended mags for the Rafficas, the closest I've ever been to it.

jedimike

So the MW2 Mythbusters "Myth Madness" thing has started. So far, the myths are pretty uninteresting though, and I swear the first one is recycled.

1: Survive a Semtex stick.
2: Equipment stuck to glass.
3: Predator can shoot down UAV. (Big shocker!)

In other video news, Sneakymode decided to stop making vids. I think that's kinda sad, he was a great player and had some insightful commentary. :/

Interesting... I would have said no to all of those. That being said, they all kind of make sense when you think of them from a developer perspective.

ZZMitch

Is there some glitch that lets you change your name color in MW2?

I am just wondering because I saw someone with a green name in a multiplayer lobby.

Strider2K99 said:
I've been using Akimbo Raffica's with my sniper class as well this prestige and I fell in love. Actually, on a side note, this is also my first prestige were I've used Akimbo SMGs and it's stupid fun running around with them.

But yeah, with my sniper class, I'm using Akimbo Rafficas and Last Stand Pro. Even when I get downed to Last Stand, if I just fire in the general direction and my opponent is close enough, I usually kill them. I'm already close to unlocking extended mags for the Rafficas, the closest I've ever been to it.
:lol I love Akimbo Rafficas. In this past prestige (I'm a 68 now I think), I've gotten something like 400 kills with them on just my sniper class. They're so incredible and so much better than G18s.

Willeth

ZZMitch said:
Is there some glitch that lets you change your name color in MW2?

I am just wondering because I saw someone with a green name in a multiplayer lobby.
It's a hack. You'll see people with button images in their name sometimes, too.

Xux

divisionbyzorro said:
I know it will reload faster, but will it let me get the next round out faster?

No, it won't. The closest is that you can reload immediately after the shot and cancel the pump from the shot animation, you're guy'll put in a new shot and then pump. All that together is longer than just shooting by a fifth to a tenth of a second. I'd still recommend SoH 'cause the non-AA-12 shotguns reload so darn slow if you shoot more than a couple shots without reloading.

backflip10019 said:
Does the grip increase the SPAS' range? I've heard both yes and no.

No, it's just lag and placebos.

jiien said:

I've tested it some and it seems like ADS just turns off Steady Aim if you have it.

TestOfTide said:
2) in the period between hipfire and ADS the spread shrinks (or as least the reticle for hipfire shirnks)

It's just the reticule. You're still hipfiring at max spread until it disappears.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I know that in a team deathmatch if you get a nuke with 3 seconds to go the game adds extra time so your nuke can detonate...but does this happen in Demolition or Domination?

careful

Thanks for the tips about the Akimbo Rafficas guys. They're SPAS level of awesome. :D
One thing I noticed is they lose a lot of precision blinged with silencers on. It's like they gain a magic property that makes all the bullets miss around the target Pulp Fiction style. For silenced sidearm, I still give the edge to the G18s.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Full Recovery said:
Agreed. Reload is relatively quick even without sleight of hand, too. With six shells, you're always good to go. The SPAS is great too, of course, I just prefer the M1014 a bit.

Top Bottom