• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

I managed EMPs in 3 straight games tonight. Damn, I love the SPAS. My favorite kit of all time just might be UMP + Silencer, SPAS + Grip, Marathon, Stopping Power, Ninja (although I'm currently using Last Stand for the challenges and the lulz). My killstreaks were Harrier -> AC130 -> EMP. Running the length of the map and getting behind the enemy on Derail is so incredibly satisfying :lol

It's a shame that the Apache is so much superior to the AC130 though - if it weren't for challenges I wouldn't see any point in using the AC130 over the Apache. If it were just up in the air for longer, I think that would make the difference, but as it stands now it's just completely inferior.

DoomGyver

aku:jiki said:
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it needs to be fixed. Knifing will never be removed or tweaked in this game.
If you can't see anything wrong with knifing/commando..

2lu9qpt.gif

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
I think commando is the only real problem currently. Everything else is fine by me, OMA tubers usually get screwed by a decent SMG class once you close the distance.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Dresden said:
There's actually a psychological term for this. I forget which one, but it's essentially people in a crowd not doing shit because they expect someone else to step up. Everyone on the team is staring at the sky going 'someone will take it out' even while they die over and over to it.

IRRC it's called the bystander effect. Textbook example for it was this one chick was was murdered in her apartment/house/whatever who screamed for help. A ton of people heard her and nobody did anything because they thought someone else would probably call the police or help.

Tamanon

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
I managed EMPs in 3 straight games tonight. Damn, I love the SPAS. My favorite kit of all time just might be UMP + Silencer, SPAS + Grip, Marathon, Stopping Power, Ninja (although I'm currently using Last Stand for the challenges and the lulz). My killstreaks were Harrier -> AC130 -> EMP. Running the length of the map and getting behind the enemy on Derail is so incredibly satisfying :lol

It's a shame that the Apache is so much superior to the AC130 though - if it weren't for challenges I wouldn't see any point in using the AC130 over the Apache. If it were just up in the air for longer, I think that would make the difference, but as it stands now it's just completely inferior.

I think the only upside to the AC130 is that it takes at least one more Stinger shot to kill.

I finally got around to playing this. It is pretty cool. Really hectic and I guess that is the point . . . real modern combat is chaotic. Seems a bit short.

How many times do we have to have the Commando discussion in this thread? :lol

My stance is still the same: Commando is just fine under ideal circumstances, but needs better lag compensation. Take a page from Bungie's book here:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13233

For the "OMGTLDR" crowd, the relevant quote here is:

Bungie said:
Any time you have a game system which players cannot understand, it might as well be random. No matter how fair the tiebreaker may be, if a single Assault Rifle bullet can slip by and decide the outcome, it might as well be random. And randomness is a poor substitute for tactics and skillful execution.

The range on Commando is less than that of the shortest ranged gun in the game (the silenced AA-12). So the issue really is latency - you saw yourself do enough damage to kill him before he knifed you. But that's now how the host saw it because the timing in all of this is so precise. So implement the Bungie fix: if you both saw yourselves dealing lethal damage within a reasonable amount of time, you both should die. And for fairness sakes, you should both be credited with the kill on your current streak (so just in case that was your last kill before the Apache, you still get it).

This would also have the side effect of making knife runners think twice about what they were doing, thus reducing the number of them, thus reducing the headache we all endure.

HappyDad

Neo Member
divisionbyzorro said:

My stance is still the same: Commando is just fine under ideal circumstances, but needs better lag compensation. Take a page from Bungie's book here:

The range on Commando is less than that of the shortest ranged gun in the game (the silenced AA-12). So the issue really is latency - you saw yourself do enough damage to kill him before he knifed you. But that's now how the host saw it because the timing in all of this is so precise. So implement the Bungie fix: if you both saw yourselves dealing lethal damage within a reasonable amount of time, you both should die. And for fairness sakes, you should both be credited with the kill on your current streak (so just in case that was your last kill before the Apache, you still get it).

This would also have the side effect of making knife runners think twice about what they were doing, thus reducing the number of them, thus reducing the headache we all endure.
I believe this game is at least 50% connection quality dependant. I'm the same person since COD4, but my K/D went from 1.2 to 1.75. Only significant difference between the two is 3MB DSL to 10MB FIOS. I still get alternate reality in killcam, but no where near as often as I used to. Especially for knifing, I can rarely win it even with Commando perk, as my opponents knife me even before I get to see them around the corner according to the kill cam.

Maximus.

Tamanon said:
I think the only upside to the AC130 is that it takes at least one more Stinger shot to kill.

Not true, ive shot down plenty of ac130's with just one stinger shot :p I need one more EMP to get that damn cool emblem, but its not working out for me :/ I usually use the acr with silencer and fmj, but just switched fmj for noob tube. Im pretty happy with the change for now.

DoomGyver

The length of the "kill zone" is way too far. There should be no lunge, it looks stupid to see someone ice skate 10 feet and then stab you. If I was the one changing commando, I would make non-commando half an arms length that way knifing is only used when you sneak up behind someone or both of you are out of ammo. Then make it a full arms length with commando.

Doing this should remove most of the teleporting, it is definitely not all latency I've done the teleport on my screen and I even said "how the hell did I manage that?!" So it's not all latency and where you perceive an enemy to be and where they actually are.

akimo USPs are also bugged into only allowing you to 'lunge stab' instead of slice.

Belfast

Man, I thought the hack situation on the PC had died down a little, but it just seems to be getting worse and worse every day now. I don't think I played a single game tonight without at least one person who was wall-hacking or auto-aiming.

dwin45

People claiming that Commando is the biggest problem with the game must be joking. The spawn system needs complete revamping. It is by far the biggest problem in the game. I should I never be able to see a guy die on a and then come back and kill me on the kill cam.

Full Recovery said:
The length of the "kill zone" is way too far. There should be no lunge, it looks stupid to see someone ice skate 10 feet and then stab you. If I was the one changing commando, I would make non-commando half an arms length that way knifing is only used when you sneak up behind someone or both of you are out of ammo. Then make it a full arms length with commando.

Doing this should remove most of the teleporting, it is definitely not all latency I've done the teleport on my screen and I even said "how the hell did I manage that?!" So it's not all latency and where you perceive an enemy to be and where they actually are.

akimo USPs are also bugged into only allowing you to 'lunge stab' instead of slice.

What does this mean?

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
dwin45 said:
People claiming that Commando is the biggest problem with the game must be joking. The spawn system needs complete revamping. It is by far the biggest problem in the game. I should I never be able to see a guy die on a and then come back and kill me on the kill cam.

IW should be embarrassed to put out a game with such an atrocious spawn system.

Belfast

And one other thing, what's up with flag bars restarting once they hit full? It seems to often happen when you and at least one other person are capping a flag and they die, but you're still there (i.e. you haven't moved out of range far enough to lose your progress). Theoretically, you should continue to capture the flag, and even if there was an enemy in the area to challenge you, the bar would just stop, not reset itself.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Mush said:
I'd rather have the system as is now than Commando period.

For me, my hatred of the spawning system and commando pro are not mutually exclusive.

Plenty of hate to go around.

aku:jiki

ThirstyFly said:
Wait, so you're just running around with the shield up tossing C4 into people's faces? Haha, I gotta try that.
Yes! It's a mix of using C4 as a suicide bomb (tossing it when they're still firing at you and detonating it before it even hits the ground), baiting them with the shield to walk into your already placed C4 or shooting them in the back if they try something.

One dude took me out in a cool way while I was doing this btw. He was a pistol runner with lightweight and he saw me blocking his path, so he strafed up on some slightly higher ground and ran and jumped straight at me so he could shoot his magnums over the shield. That was kinda awesome! :D

Fraull said:
Not true, ive shot down plenty of ac130's with just one stinger shot :p
No, you haven't. Your team had already shot off two in that case.

divisionbyzorro said:
That sounds like a good fix, and also; remove the ridiculous arc. We've all seen these retarded game winning killcams where the guy's knifing reaction time was so incredibly poor that the player he supposedly stabbed was already behind him and out of screen but he still died! That's the dumbest shit with the knifing.

nbraun80

divisionbyzorro said:

I like that idea as well. I also think that you shouldn't be able to knife if you have akimbo weapons.

aku:jiki

Spinning Plates said:
Beat me to it!

I think Salvage looks great and Bailout actually looks kinda amazing - can't wait to play both of those. I especially love that they say that you can basically move across the whole map without leaving the apartments - that's my shit right there! Shotgun sprees! :D I was never huge on CoD4 but I recall Crash being fun and not minding Overgrown (I want to think it reminds me of Rundown but with more exits from the canal?).

Storm looks like complete ass though. It's all square-looking with basic geometry and design and these vast empty spaces with just a few crates tossed in for cover. Looks supremely dull.

Can't wait to get my first kill from the dog house on Salvage though! :lol

Beat me to it!

I think Salvage looks great and Bailout actually looks kinda amazing - can't wait to play both of those. I especially love that they say that you can basically move across the whole map without leaving the apartments - that's my shit right there! Shotgun sprees! :D I was never huge on CoD4 but I recall Crash being fun and not minding Overgrown (I want to think it reminds me of Rundown but with more exits from the canal?).

Storm looks like complete ass though. It's all square-looking with basic geometry and design and these vast empty spaces with just a few crates tossed in for cover. Looks supremely dull.

For whatever reason, Storm reminds me of the Airport map from W@W...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
dwin45 said:
People claiming that Commando is the biggest problem with the game must be joking. The whole game needs complete revamping. It is by far the biggest problem in the game.

Oh, hi. I fixed your post. (/goes back to lurking for the magical playlist update that'll turn off user controlled killstreaks so I can at least half-way enjoy the unbalanced game)

I really really want to like this game, but the:

Terrible maps (IMO)
Horrible balance leaning toward airsupport (and the spawn rape that comes from that)
Terrible balance in guns (though it seems like Infinity Ward is now trying to fix this)
Terrible spawn system
Commando
One Man Army

Just make me disgusted by it. Who thought OMA/Commando was a good idea? Who thought user controlled killstreaks in general was a good idea? :| Esp, with the way IW lazily does spawns for team-games. It's completely easy to base trap the enemy team if you know where exactly they will spawn and then proceed to chopper gunner them to death.

i_am_ben said:
IW should be embarrassed to put out a game with such an atrocious spawn system.

I just dont understand theyre mentality when bringing Noob Tubes back, they were pretty much abused in CoD4 and yet IW brings them back!??

WTF at the design team.

The maps look amazing in terms of atmosphere but that video hasnt exactly blown me away in terms of gameplay, ill wait for some videos were the people seem to know what theyre doing, if the focus is on shotgunning as much as the video made out - screw that.

That doghouse is going to get flushed out with nades whenever I have to go past it :lol

bobs99 ... said:
I just dont understand theyre mentality when bringing Noob Tubes back, they were pretty much abused in CoD4 and yet IW brings them back!??

WTF at the design team.
Personally, I would have made the GL have only had one grenade and take up the equipment slot. But meh. They don't bother me that much unless you run into an entire team exclusively using them.

bobs99 ... said:
The maps look amazing in terms of atmosphere but that video hasnt exactly blown me away in terms of gameplay, ill wait for some videos were the people seem to know what theyre doing, if the focus is on shotgunning as much as the video made out - screw that.

They were all using level 1-3 classes and only had access to the default classes. Hence the ridiculously stupid and incompetent silenced SPAS battle...

divisionbyzorro said:
Personally, I would have made the GL have only had one grenade and take up the equipment slot. But meh. They don't bother me that much unless you run into an entire team exclusively using them.

They were all using level 1-3 classes and only had access to the default classes. Hence the ridiculously stupid and incompetent silenced SPAS battle...

Ah thanks for clearing that up, maps will be more fun with all the higher level weapons.

As for noob tubes, the problem with them is that theyre almost always mentioned in negative ways 'they dont bother me much', (even if only slightly negative :lol ). Theyre obviusly hated, why keep em? The only legitimate use for them seems to be as a crutch.

So the MW2 mythbusters are cooking up a mythbusting extravaganza! One little myth a day for 21 days. Here's what they've done so far.

EDIT: Here's the official trailer for MYTH MADNESS as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K4zVk612DI

Right for 6fears7 just got attack heli, it killed someone so I then used ead, then it killed another person and I used stealth, end result = still no title.

I give up in otherwords...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Beat me to it!

Pretty much the same way I feel. It's funny because Storm was the one I was actually looking forward to most initially, judging purely by the loading screen images that leaked — it looked like it might be almost an arena-ish map. That footage has me much more interested in the other two, though. Storm just looks bland and uninspired.

Frillen

I shouldn't really be judging the maps before I've played them, but they kinda look a bit boring in my opinion. But then again, so did a lot of the original maps in the game when I saw them before the game released. Today I love most of them. Oh well, at least there's Crash and Overgrown.

jdub03

LunaticPuma said:
If everybody camps, who is going to run around and get shot? The game will just end up being 0-0 with no winners.

Well I would absolutely understand your gripes with camping if every match resulted in a zero zero tie. In my 500+ matches I've never seen this happen so this is a highly improbable scenario. The most TRUE campers I've seen in a match were one, maybe two. Even I can't camp for more then one or two kills. I get antsy and run off to find someone to shoot in the face.

Foliorum Viridum said:
The new maps look amazing, but I wanted to punch the guys talking over it.
Listen, bro, like what you have to understand is that they, like, totally cater to the general Xbox Live audience, dude. Like, know what I'm saying homeslice?

DoomGyver

Bailout looks great, Salvage looks like anyone with a choppergunner is going to clean up, and storm looks a little dull but it may play really well.

snack said:
Another reason why respawn system has to be fixed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N77N-AEyXhw

:lol

:lol :lol

That's Rust's fault. As I'm pretty sure we've said before, Rust is only good for lulz.

EDIT: Ugh. I started watching his next video of BF:BC2 to see what that game looked like, but I forgot how much of a pretentious asshole WingsOfRedemption is. He's got skills, and I suppose he deserves to be a little cocky about that, but he's more than a bit excessive. I'll take SeaNanners' painfully awkward commentary over that any day.

Mik2121

Full Recovery said:
Bailout looks great, Salvage looks like anyone with a choppergunner is going to clean up, and storm looks a little dull but it may play really well.
Well, in Bailout apparently you can move almost everywhere inside buildings, so I guess whenever a choppergunner comes, the people that doesn't have Ninja (or was it cold blooded?.. I have both so I forgot which one does what) will just go inside the buildings.

HooCares

Neo Member
divisionbyzorro said:

I think the Apache has higher variance in the kills it gives you vs. the AC130, due to the fact that it's easier to shoot down if you're playing against decent players who roll with a stinger. My current best Killstreak ever was 33 thanks to an Apache. However, I've also had games where it get's shot down before I can get 2-3. This is due to it only having 1 countermeasure flare to the AC's 2 (if I'm not mistaken). The AC130 is more consistant (at minimum 4-5 kills worst case), but can never get you as many as the Apache if no one is going to shoot it down. Just my thoughts.

mr_boo

divisionbyzorro said:
:
EDIT: Ugh. I started watching his next video of BF:BC2 to see what that game looked like, but I forgot how much of a pretentious asshole WingsOfRedemption is. He's got skills, and I suppose he deserves to be a little cocky about that, but he's more than a bit excessive. I'll take SeaNanners' painfully awkward commentary over that any day.
For commentary, I enjoy listening to woodysgamertag and sasben ("sasbenjr" search on youtube). Sasben is less known, kinda still new to the youtube scene. In a nutshell, he's humble and informative - one of the neat things he does is he actually pauses the gameplay and breaks things down analytically by video highlighting trouble areas or targets to hit.

Another interesting thing that Sasben does too is that he'll host a subscriber lobby once in a while where he'll just simply watch his subscribers play. He'll then followup with one of his "Gameplay Critique" videos where he critiques the gameplay of multiple players. Interesting stuff.

Edit: Sasben's got stuff on BF:BC2, lately it's been all that.

Top Bottom