• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

TheSeks said:
Oh, hi. I fixed your post. (/goes back to lurking for the magical playlist update that'll turn off user controlled killstreaks so I can at least half-way enjoy the unbalanced game)

I really really want to like this game, but the:

Terrible maps (IMO)
Horrible balance leaning toward airsupport (and the spawn rape that comes from that)
Terrible balance in guns (though it seems like Infinity Ward is now trying to fix this)
Terrible spawn system
Commando
One Man Army

Just make me disgusted by it. Who thought OMA/Commando was a good idea? Who thought user controlled killstreaks in general was a good idea? :| Esp, with the way IW lazily does spawns for team-games. It's completely easy to base trap the enemy team if you know where exactly they will spawn and then proceed to chopper gunner them to death.

Exactly how are the air support rewards unbalanced? It's easy, man. Equip a stinger. Done.

And I like the maps because there is actual variety and it's much harder to camp than it was on MW1's generic maps with terrible choke points.

aku:jiki

As I'm finishing off some challenges (goal now that I'm 10th is to get the whole barracks reading DONE!), I've concluded that Scrambler really is the dumbest aspect of the game. Not only is it dumb by design, but it's incredibly picky with what kills it will count for you. I was at 245/250 for like 10 straight matches, and I ran with Scrambler on and got 15-50 kills in each match! I think I finally figured out that it has to be bullet kills within knifing range, so basically you can only get the kills if you surprise someone. Who's fucking idea was that and why is he still alive?

TheSeks said:
Who thought user controlled killstreaks in general was a good idea? :|
They're a great idea. The spawn system is the problem, not the killstreaks.

mr_boo said:
Another interesting thing that Sasben does too is that he'll host a subscriber lobby once in a while where he'll just simply watch his subscribers play. He'll then followup with one of his "Gameplay Critique" videos where he critiques the gameplay of multiple players. Interesting stuff.
Nice, I'm gonna have to sub him.

Here are the ones I like:

- WingsOfRedemption (Cocky or not, I think he's amusing and he always shares tips and insight in every video.)
- SeaNanners (Awkwardly uncomfortable doing it, but also good tips and insight. Plus he's just insanely good.)
- Sneakymode (Great accent! Also a pretty smart kid with good tips, but alas he sold all his video equipment.)
- GUN1T123 (I flamed this guy when he first blew up, but he's calmed down and mostly just chats about his gameplay now and he always focuses on sharing tips. Plus he's like ten times better than SeaNanners and he does oddball requests like nuking with an ACOG Vector.)
- Ken Burton (Terrible player that basically makes videos to poke fun at himself. Great.)
- Junkyard129 (He's just so positive and happy all the time!)

...so the Machinima crew, I guess. Subbing Machinima Respawn means you get mostly good commentators. Avoid crap like PersonaGaming - that's only 14 year olds who babble on about going to soccer camp or some shit.

jedimike

Spinning Plates said:

I thought they all looked great! When I saw storm, I immediately thought it was a cross between Pipeline and cs_office.

Bailout looks the best, but I'm not a big fan of CQC... I'll do what I do best and create myself some claymore choke points. Salvage looks like a refined and slightly enlarged rust. It may end up being the favorite of the three.

Crash and Overgrown are great maps.

How about guns, emblems, titles? Can we assume there is nothing new?

Mush

backflip10019 said:
I thought that a while back Bowling confirmed that there would be new emblems and titles. Am I just remembering wrong?
AFIAK he was taking ideas for some. Not sure if they'll be included in the pack but if it was up to Kotick they'd be separate DLC. :lol

rezuth

I give up, I'm not going to get 20 wins at Sabotage. No one on the teams even fucking cares, they just sit and camp hoping to get a nuke. Its just all bullshit, they should award me for picking up the bomb.

rezuth said:
I give up, I'm not going to get 20 wins at Sabotage. No one on the teams even fucking cares, they just sit and camp hoping to get a nuke. Its just all bullshit, they should award me for picking up the bomb.

Never play sabotage with pubbies. Get a full team of friends, have everybody equip marathon + lightweight + ninja + UMP, and rush the bomb every game. You'll be shocked at how many times you'll immediately plant and win.

Man, this game is schizophrenic or something. Last night's session started out with the most lag-free games I've ever seen in MW2 - it was amazing. Every bullet would hit your target, no lag spikes and it didn't turn to shit every time something blew up. It was beautiful and with like half the bullshit taken out by this upswing in latency, I managed to go like 50-17 without getting more than 1 predator. I wasn't even host; this started in a match I joined halfway...

I got to play maybe 3 matches like this, and it was blissful...so the game decided I couldn't have any of that and put me into laggy matches for the rest of the night. Not only laggy, I'd get put on the worst teams in the history of gaming. Every single scoreboard for the rest of the night basically looked like this:

25556_1396717079594_1282239271_1134268_5724286_n.jpg

0-19, are you fucking serious!? He ended up in my games for like 10 matches straight and initially, he even had a buddy who was just as bad. Winning was basically impossible. :(

Xux

I had a pretty crazy game the other night. Kinda frustrating. Ground War TDM on Highrise. Now, Ground War TDM goes up to 10,000 points for the win. I went 23-0 just keepin' a couple claymores up and takin' out the fools rushin' and ragin' against our snipers. Almost a quarter of the amount to win from one-ninth of the team and I didn't contribute anything to the enemy team's score.

And we still fucking lost. I just can't carry a team much more than that. I'm tellin' ya, my hidden stats must be way off.

Frillen

I've never understood how someone can go like 0-19 or 3-21 etc. Even when I suck and the other teams are steamrolling us, I still get like 9-13 or something.

Had a new personal record last night when it comes to kills BTW. Went 52-3 on Afghan on a regular team deathmatch. My last record was 51 kills back in Modern Warfare 1 on Bog.

aku:jiki said:
0-19, are you fucking serious!? He ended up in my games for like 10 matches straight and initially, he even had a buddy who was just as bad. Winning was basically impossible. :(

I have a friend who regularly plays with me and is just south of terrible. He went 1-12 in three straight games the other day. But it doesn't bother me - we have fun playing it together and we still routinely win Domination matches. It does make Team Deathmatches nailbitingly close though - I went 28-4 yesterday and we still only won 10000-9900, and I was in last stand at the end! :lol As long as we have fun, I don't much care.

I did have one of my best games ever yesterday - GW Domination on Scrapyard. We started at the Alpha corner spawn, and I decided start with my toobing class to shell the Charlie flag, and got first blood with a 4-man multikill. I figured, "hey, three more kills should be easy to get with this class, so I'll keep using it and get an EMP." So I did, and I cleaned up with the AC-130. I was 25-0 by the time I got out of the AC-130, and the game wasn't even halfway over! Running out of my hidey-hole I got killed, so rather than be cheap the entire game, I switched over to my SPAS-12 class, and went 27-7 the rest of the match. So my final score was 52-8.

I used to think that going 20+ kills with single digit deaths was awesome. Now that I have multiple 50+ kills with single digit death games under my belt, I have to remind myself that 25-5 (or even 18-9) is still a really good score. It's just too bad that I'm too deep into the game for my K/D to rise very quickly. The fact that I've pulled it from 1.08 at P0L70 to 1.32 at P2L50 is, I think, a good sign.

Wins and losses are so random in TDM/Domination/HQ PRO/Demolition and especially in Sabotage. Hell, it's random in EVERY MODE unless you are playing unless you are playing as 6-player team vs randoms. It's just pure luck which side wins, no matter how good/bad you/your friends are playing.

PetriP-TNT said:
Wins and losses are so random in TDM/Domination/HQ PRO/Demolition and especially in Sabotage. Hell, it's random in EVERY MODE unless you are playing unless you are playing as 6-player team vs randoms. It's just pure luck which side wins, no matter how good/bad you/your friends are playing.

This may sound weird, but that means the matchmaking is doing it's job, in a strange way. If matchmaking is done properly, each side should have a 50% chance of winning.

The annoying part is that rather than take great players and keep them all together, the matchmaking's goal is to make sure that the teams are even. So the great players get paired with the awful players to balance things out.

zam

Playing Demolition on Skidrow with aku;jiki, on defense, at the start of the game I ran to the little apartment that has a window looking out into the long tunnel and I see what must be the whole team running down it, so I just started blasting with my M16 and killed everyone :D Lost the match tho :(

Also we got called fa***ts by some dude cause we were using cold-blooded, that's a first.

Najaf

I would love to see a classic team death match mode that took out all killstreaks. While I enjoy them, it would be nice to be able to take a break from shooting down harriers and UAVs for much of the match.

HooCares

Neo Member
Najaf said:
I would love to see a classic team death match mode that took out all killstreaks. While I enjoy them, it would be nice to be able to take a break from shooting down harriers and UAVs for much of the match.

Agree but I'd rather have UAV, Pred Missile, Hind. Old school 3/5/7 streaks baby. Remember in CoD4 when we used to shoot down choppers with our Rifles? Goodtimes.

HooCares said:
Agree but I'd rather have UAV, Pred Missile, Hind. Old school 3/5/7 streaks baby. Remember in CoD4 when we used to shoot down choppers with our Rifles? Goodtimes.

I'd rather see UAV/Airstrike/Pave Low, but still at 3/5/7, with Stingers and Javelins removed.

Nizz

Was playing last night and some guy was lagging badly. I've never seen that type of lag before. We were playing TDM Express on Quarry and this guy was teleporting like he was Nightcrawler from X-Men.

I had him lined up in my sights ready to pull the trigger and boom, the next second he appears a couple of feet to the right. He kept disappearing and reappearing. I checked the scoreboard real quick and I saw no one on the opposite side with a red dot or even two yellow bars.

Is this what it is when I see people mention "lag switchers"? Maybe he just had a shitty connection. This is on PS3 by the way.

fps fanatic said:
Was playing last night and some guy was lagging badly. I've never seen that type of lag before. We were playing TDM Express on Quarry and this guy was teleporting like he was Nightcrawler from X-Men.

I had him lined up in my sights ready to pull the trigger and boom, the next second he appears a couple of feet to the right. He kept disappearing and reappearing. I checked the scoreboard real quick and I saw no one on the opposite side with a red dot or even two yellow bars.

Is this what it is when I see people mention "lag switchers"? Maybe he just had a shitty connection. This is on PS3 by the way.

If he had a good score, he was cheating. If he had a bad score, he had a shitty connection :lol

Nizz

divisionbyzorro said:
If he had a good score, he was cheating. If he had a bad score, he had a shitty connection :lol
I can't remember. :lol I know it looked pretty crazy though.

divisionbyzorro said:
This may sound weird, but that means the matchmaking is doing it's job, in a strange way. If matchmaking is done properly, each side should have a 50% chance of winning.

The annoying part is that rather than take great players and keep them all together, the matchmaking's goal is to make sure that the teams are even. So the great players get paired with the awful players to balance things out.
Yeah, this is true (in a strange way), but only way the win-losses stat would actually mean something would be only playing 6vs6 against clans. Now it tells us as little as, lets say, miles walked backwards or something

kuYuri

I don't get it... I can use M93R in Last Stand, but not G18? What bullshit is that?

Doesn't make any sense. Can you use the PP2000 or TMP in Last Stand?

Najaf

HooCares said:

Yeah, a 3-5-7 would be alright. I remember boosting my accuracy in cod4 every time a chopper came out; I'd switch to the SAW with double tap then unload a mag in 5 seconds without missing.

DoomGyver

Strider2K99 said:
I don't get it... I can use M93R in Last Stand, but not G18? What bullshit is that?

Doesn't make any sense. Can you use the PP2000 or TMP in Last Stand?
The M93 in last stand is bullshit, you might as well have an M16 in final stand everytime you "die".

bluehat9

So I think I'm about to give up on my quest for 10 nukes. After I got the 5th, I've just been stuck with poor play and bad luck.

Also, when you call in a predator, is where is starts falling from random or based on something? Seems like last night every missile the other team called in had me targeted from the outset. Didn't matter if I was in the open or in a building, the predator was crashing down on me (and no, I wasn't in a group of people).

jedimike

Are you sure he wasn't boosting? Anytime you see scores like that, you should immediately assume there was boosting going on... especially when the person with the shitty k/d has more than one prestige because no one is going to stick with the game for that long if they suck that bad.

Usually boosters stick with FFA but I have witnessed it several times in TDM.

Full Recovery said:
The M93 in last stand is bullshit, you might as well have an M16 in final stand everytime you "die".

What about akimbo magnums in last stand? :lol I swear half of my last stand kills are against shotgun users with my akimbo magnums.

zam said:
Playing Demolition on Skidrow with aku;jiki, on defense, at the start of the game I ran to the little apartment that has a window looking out into the long tunnel and I see what must be the whole team running down it, so I just started blasting with my M16 and killed everyone Lost the match tho :(
Oh yeah, the joys of playing against a really aggressive team that's playing to win when all your team wants to do is camp. That M16 spray was sweet though!

Was that the same session where I was going crazy with the Javelin on Estate? I can't believe that dumbass camper let me Javelin him like 3 times in the same spot!

Speaking of going on tears, DnB Oos posted a pretty sick new video here. Some crazy shotgun sprees, but the really interesting part is the hacks he has on (don't worry, they're not helping him pull those sprees off) - he has a camo'd SPAS with a laser pointer sight on it. So, why is the code for the laser sight in the game at all? IW were contemplating making it even worse?! What are the hackers gonna find next, code that allows noobtubes to split and automatically track targets like the grenades in that movie Gamer?

Strider2K99 said:
Another one: why can you pull out the M93's as fast as a handgun? Pretty sure they just fucked up and just slapped some of the handgun code in there, thus allowing them to be used in Last Stand and pulling them out much faster than any other machine pistol. Can't be intentional - the M93's are fucking insane and should have more drawbacks.

divisionbyzorro said:
I have a friend who regularly plays with me and is just south of terrible. He went 1-12 in three straight games the other day.
Well, yeah, but I didn't know this guy at all and he didn't have a mic, so it wasn't very fun at all. And, as mentioned, he had his equally terrible buddy along for the ride in the preceding matches, which made everything even more unwinnable. At least go play FFA if you're that bad!

jedimike said:
Are you sure he wasn't boosting?
Yes, I always pay full attention to what my team is doing. This guy was running around and I ran into him all the time. The really weird thing was that he wasn't really doing anything wrong whenever I saw him - he rushed but he did it carefully (much more so than I ever do) and he'd stop to look around all the time. How can he not even catch one single careless knifer if he plays like that?

Jangocube

Banned
So I finally got around to playing some Hardcore Team Deathmatch.

It's amazing how much your gameplay and class setup changes. Everyone is using cold-blooded, hardly any noobtube/one man army guys running around, and killstreaks are pretty much useless.

It's really been a nice change of pace from my usual Mercenary Team Deathmatch games. I just couldn't take the Commando and OMA bullshit anymore.

Anyone played the hidden/JTagged gametype called "Arena" yet? My little nephew joined one of his little hacker friend's session in progress and there was a flag in the middle of the map that took FOREVER to capture, although the kid did have fast motion on. The flag was a big black square on the UAV/Minimap, though. Didn't get to see much, as the kid is telling my nephew he's going to set him up with a free Challenge Lobby.

RJNavarrete said:
Anyone played the hidden/JTagged gametype called "Arena" yet? My little nephew joined one of his little hacker friend's session in progress and there was a flag in the middle of the map that took FOREVER to capture, although the kid did have fast motion on. The flag was a big black square on the UAV/Minimap, though. Didn't get to see much, as the kid is telling my nephew he's going to set him up with a free Challenge Lobby.

Here's a pretty shitty video showing how it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOSWZSLlj1w

It seems about as bad of an idea as Global Thermonuclear War. I'm glad they took it out.

VaLiancY

This game is like an abusive relationship. You want to stay to see if it gets better but you don't want to stay longer because you're constantly bombarded with bullshit. :lol

Here's something totally different; commentary by a girl!

XoUrBrownEyedGirloX 30-4 FFA

Isn't she just beyond adorable? She says she started gaming with MW1, bought her first console and played Infamous as her second game ever...yet she's pulling 30-4 FFA's. Clearly, she's a liar - I've been gaming for 20 years and it took me months of intense play to get decent at MW2! :lol :lol

VaLiancY said:
This game is like an abusive relationship. You want to stay to see if it gets better but you don't want to stay longer because you're constantly bombarded with bullshit. :lol
That's the best thing I've heard today, and perfectly true. :lol

Isn't she just beyond adorable? She says she started gaming with MW1, bought her first console and played Infamous as her second game ever...yet she's pulling 30-4 FFA's. Clearly, she's a liar - I've been gaming for 20 years and it took me months of intense play to get decent at MW2! :lol :lol

You just can't stand for a girl to be better than you :lol

Is it wrong that I'm so cynical about things on the internet I don't believe anything of that video? Even that it's her playing. :lol A female playing a game is a good way to get hits from losers, let's be honest.

(Not that I don't believe a girl can be that good - I got my ass constantly handed to me by a girl in my Counter-Strike clan, haha)

ZZMitch

New maps look great... especcially the complex one.

Will buy! I hope other remakes are included in future map packs

District and Downpour please!

Maximus.

The new maps looks pretty slick, but 15 bucks still sucks. On another note, i have still yet to see anyone really go over 40 kills in a match. I think once in domination my friend got like 42 kills. Dont know what kind of people some of you guys play with to rack up such huge kill streaks :lol My best amount of kills would be like 33-36, but i had a few deaths doing it.

Fraull said:
The new maps looks pretty slick, but 15 bucks still sucks. On another note, i have still yet to see anyone really go over 40 kills in a match. I think once in domination my friend got like 42 kills. Dont know what kind of people some of you guys play with to rack up such huge kill streaks :lol My best amount of kills would be like 33-36, but i had a few deaths doing it.

Remember how I said that I have a friend who is, shall we way, not very good?

I party up with him and make him the party leader. I rarely get that high on games with pubbies only.

divisionbyzorro said:
You just can't stand for a girl to be better than you :lol
I can't stand anyone being better than me! Which is stupid because I'm a very lazy player, so I never really play my best and instead I just expect everyone else to run into my crosshairs. :lol

Seriously though, I love how she stopped getting CG kills so she could get a throwing knife game winner. That's the way to do it! What's everyone on GAF's best game winner?

I guess mine would have to be the one I've already posted about, when I (intentionally) ran around a room while the guy was defusing and throwing knifed him in the ass when he was just about to finish. I still need to remember to save a Predator so I can do a laptop slap finish...

Top Bottom