• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

TheApatheticOne said:
I told myself I wasnt going to pick this one up at midnight, that I was just going to pick it up in the morning and come home with some breakfast.

Of course, Im full of crap, this is my most anticipated game this year by quite a bit, and I'll completely be the oldest guy at Gamestop (29) at 11:50. :D
I'm 39 and will probably pick it up at midight after telling myself for weeks that I could wait until the next evening after work.
I'll just do what I did with H3 and wait in the parking lot until the store is just about empty(12:15).:D

Played lots more this lunch time, the action is relentless. Not sure if I am sold on the SP yet, it doesn't feel as polished or even as fair as MW1. The respawning enemies are just as bad, and the red blood splatter is awful. What was wrong with how it worked before? It didn't need changing.

Also, the red blood splatter hides the redicule colour so if you're in a level where the enemies look almost identical to your team mates (this happens), and the screen is covered in blood, its impossible to see if they are enemies or not. Then you die. Again.

Framerate to be totally honest isn't great on PS3, its dropped multiple times in every level I have played. Are they awful dips? No, but it has slightly affected aiming at times so in that regard you could say it was a game breaker. There are areas where there are no back facing textures, or edges on brick walls so you can see through them when you're covering behind it! It's a little unpolished in that regard. Sorry for not jizzing over the game like everyone else, but these things really stand out when cover is so important in the game.

Raxus

Really? Single player I felt was much easier this time around. There was only 1-2 points I felt the endless stream of enemies was too much.

CitizenCope said:
I'm 39 and will probably pick it up at midight after telling myself for weeks that I could wait until the next evening after work.
I'll just do what I did with H3 and wait in the parking lot until the store is just about empty(12:15).:D

I endorse this method. Just show up a little late and the line is pretty much gone at that point. You shouldn't let everyone else know about it, though. You could ruin it for all of us!

Raxus said:
Really? Single player I felt was much easier this time around. There was only 1-2 points I felt the endless stream of enemies was too much.

I guess I could have just experienced one of those :) I just did
the level after the airport in the village. It was incredibly tough being fired at from all directions. Just thought it was a little unfair, esp for Normal difficulty. I've done all the other CODs on Veteran and this felt like that!

Is there any levels like Mile High Club on Veteran sort of difficulty?

KennyLinder said:
Played lots more this lunch time, the action is relentless. Not sure if I am sold on the SP yet, it doesn't feel as polished or even as fair as MW1. The respawning enemies are just as bad, and the red blood splatter is awful. What was wrong with how it worked before? It didn't need changing.

Also, the red blood splatter hides the redicule colour so if you're in a level where the enemies look almost identical to your team mates (this happens), and the screen is covered in blood, its impossible to see if they are enemies or not. Then you die. Again.

Framerate to be totally honest isn't great on PS3, its dropped multiple times in every level I have played. Are they awful dips? No, but it has slightly affected aiming at times so in that regard you could say it was a game breaker. There are areas where there are no back facing textures, or edges on brick walls so you can see through them when you're covering behind it! It's a little unpolished in that regard. Sorry for not jizzing over the game like everyone else, but these things really stand out when cover is so important in the game.

I'm not a fan of the red blood splatter. It was perfect the way it was before, why change it?

Raxus

Some quick impressions of single player (HUGE spoilers in black you have been warned)

1. The game starts off pretty slow but if you give it time then it really picks up the pace.
2. Cliffhanger,
the rooftop escape, the prison, the white house bombing, the airplane graveyard escape, and the riverboat chase
are some of my favorite levels.
3. The game ALWAYS gives you what you need to complete the mission.
4.That said the story is, admittedly, stupid. But it is a very fun game with the improvements. As I said earlier though really short.

Raxus

KennyLinder said:
the level after the airport in the village. It was incredibly tough being fired at from all directions. Just thought it was a little unfair, esp for Normal difficulty. I've done all the other CODs on Veteran and this felt like that!

No, by far that is the worst point in the game bar none in my opinion.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Is Veteran infuriating this time around? I want to start with it but I don't want to get a part where it becomes super annoying and I get pissed off and quit. Otherwise I'll do Hardened.

TruHero

Banned
Thanks to GameStop's $40-off deal, I now have this game fully paid off!:D I haven't been this pumped for a game since GTA IV.

I'm going to the midnight launch and I might even take a sick day off work tomorrow:lol

QUESTION: Is the "controversial" part of the campaign supposed to occur at the beginning? Middle?

Thankfully, I haven't watched any of the spoilers yet and I'm just curious.

Raxus

The mission you are talking about occurs right after the Cliffhanger level.

The 3rd or 4th level depending if you count the training mission a level.

mYm|17|

finally will be able to play this later tonight. I am going to best buy to pick mine up. Good thing I live like 5 mins from mine so I don't have to get there so early

Raxus said:
No, by far that is the worst point in the game bar none in my opinion.
That bit I just did was the worst? That's encouraging to know.
Or are you referring to the mile high club question?

Raxus

NameGenerated said:
Is Veteran infuriating this time around? I want to start with it but I don't want to get a part where it becomes super annoying and I get pissed off and quit. Otherwise I'll do Hardened.
Veteran in this game is about on the level of Hardened in CoD4. If you and a 1000/1000 player like I you will probably cruise through most of the campaign. Enemies still have ungodly aim but it really is no longer race to the next checkpoint and on the FEW instances it is you have 'help'. I could clarify on that but it is a major spoiler.

ibu

TruHero said:
Thanks to GameStop's $40-off deal, I now have this game fully paid off!:D I haven't been this pumped for a game since GTA IV.

I'm going to the midnight launch and I might even take a sick day off work tomorrow:lol

QUESTION: Is the "controversial" part of the campaign supposed to occur at the beginning? Middle?

Thankfully, I haven't watched any of the spoilers yet and I'm just curious.

I would say some way between the 2nd and 4th hour.

Raxus

KennyLinder said:
That bit I just did was the worst? That's encouraging to know.
Or are you referring to the mile high club question?
I was referring to the bit you were talking about it.
there was an intel in that area I tried to get before I said fuck it and rushed to the end of the shanty town

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Raxus said:
Veteran in this game is about on the level of Hardened in CoD4. If you and a 1000/1000 player like I you will probably cruise through most of the campaign. Enemies still have ungodly aim but it really is no longer race to the next checkpoint and on the FEW instances it is you have 'help'. I could clarify on that but it is a major spoiler.
K, I guess I'll try Veteran this time around.

Amazon still hasn't shipped it yet...

Is Call of Duty HD unlocking tomorrow? or will there be a wait for it? Also, is there any information regarding when it will be available separate from the hardened/prestige editions on XBLA? I may have to switch my preorder back.

One more question, does anyone know if call of duty (pc) runs on vista 64, It's only $10 on newegg and I kinda want to have at it one way or another.

rager

Banned
GodfatherX said:
in all fairness this isnt the same frame, there is obviously some lighting effect (looks like an explosion or fire) going on in the xbox shot, otherwise the textures look identical so I don't see the issue

Exactly, please don't start flame war shit in here.

Eric WK

Up on about five hours of sleep to get some more multiplayer in before work. Then midnight launch to get my beautiful new console.

Raxus said:
Here we go....
On average with a silencer on it takes about 8-10 bullets to kill someone with the P90.

with or without stopping power? Core or hardcore modes? I use a silenced UMP and it takes nearly half a clip. The P90 has always been a beast, its rate of fire definitely makes up for the lack in firepower.

hamchan

KennyLinder said:

I thought the single player was much better in MW2. Didn't even notice an infinite enemy spawn to be honest.

I have to agree with you that the Brazil level is really frustrating. What I've found best is to
camp around the car in the start as cover then move up the left side once you've cleared most of the enemies out (there might be an infi-spawn here). If you move up the right I find there are more openings and flanking oppurtunities for enemies and you get stuck in the middle making it extremely difficult. If you stick on the left side enemies won't come behind you.

For the second half of the level
It's basically standard veteren play and memorising enemy positions. The main distraction is the radio chatter that might make you feel you have to hurry. You really don't, just go through slowly and use cover and flashbangs appropriately.

hamchan

I also have to say that most of the levels are easy, even in veteren. You basically follow some guy in most of the levels and he'll steer you down the right path.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm only looking to get into this game for the single player... would you guys recommend it over COD4? About how long is it? Is the story good?

To this day I have not completed MW1 due to infinitely spawning enemies in one area. It turned me off so much that I just didn't bother completing it. I've been playing multiplayer ever since though.

hamchan

Adam Prime said:
I'm only looking to get into this game for the single player... would you guys recommend it over COD4? About how long is it? Is the story good?
Yea it's better than CoD4. Length and storyline are about the same as Cod4 ie short and incomprehensible. However there are more setpieces and surprises so if you liked CoD4 the single player in this should please you.

Also major props to whoever does the music in this series. Bloody brilliant.

anddo0

Adam Prime said:

I'm looking into it for similar reasons.. The CoD4 story wasn't that bad, but the game is extremely short (5 hours). I probably won't buy this one if it doesn't last more than 9 hours.

anddo0

hamchan said:
Yea it's better than CoD4. Length and storyline are about the same as Cod4 ie short and incomprehensible. However there are more setpieces and surprises so if you liked CoD4 the single player in this should please you.

Also major props to whoever does the music in this series. Bloody brilliant.

well damn.. I don't rent, so it's going to be quite some time before I get to play this.

hamchan

anddo0 said:
I'm looking into it for similar reasons.. The CoD4 story wasn't that bad, but the game is extremely short (5 hours). I probably won't buy this one if it doesn't last more than 9 hours.
Well if you're not into multiplayer then yeah the game might not be worth it. They did add special ops though ao definitely more value than CoD4.

anddo0

hamchan said:
Well if you're not into multiplayer then yeah the game might not be worth it. They did add special ops though ao definitely more value than CoD4.

Yeah, MP isn't really my scene... Spec Ops does seem interesting, I'll wait for reviews to see how meaty it is.

Amneisac

Violater said:
Has Amazon shipped for anyone yet?

*reads above, starts biting nails* not really

Not yet. I have had about 10 release day shipped games sent from Amazon, they've all arrived on release day (sometimes as late as 3:30pm) and none of them have "shipped" (or at least notified me of shipping) until around 4:00 or 5:00 on Monday. I wouldn't worry unless you don't have a confirmation by about 8:00pm or so.

Top Bottom