• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Anyone know if the controllers in the Super Elite bundle have rechargeable battery packs with them or are they just the standard controller with AA batteries?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
KennyLinder said:
Played lots more this lunch time, the action is relentless. Not sure if I am sold on the SP yet, it doesn't feel as polished or even as fair as MW1. The respawning enemies are just as bad, and the red blood splatter is awful. What was wrong with how it worked before? It didn't need changing.

Also, the red blood splatter hides the redicule colour so if you're in a level where the enemies look almost identical to your team mates (this happens), and the screen is covered in blood, its impossible to see if they are enemies or not. Then you die. Again.

Framerate to be totally honest isn't great on PS3, its dropped multiple times in every level I have played. Are they awful dips? No, but it has slightly affected aiming at times so in that regard you could say it was a game breaker. There are areas where there are no back facing textures, or edges on brick walls so you can see through them when you're covering behind it! It's a little unpolished in that regard. Sorry for not jizzing over the game like everyone else, but these things really stand out when cover is so important in the game.

Dont start console wars stuff in here....not necessary.

harrytang

maybe i should have been able ot figure this out but I haven't yet.

why when you shoot someone does a small red and yellow symbol appear? I'm not even sure what the symbol is but it pops up sometimes i shoot someone and other times now. My guess would be i'm shooting someone with pain killer. anyone know anything else?

someone said online that when you shoot someone and money flies out, it means that kill was a payback kill. can anyone confirm this? its really strange to see hundred dollar bills flying everywhere.

butts

blackMamba1187 said:
Is Call of Duty HD unlocking tomorrow? or will there be a wait for it? Also, is there any information regarding when it will be available separate from the hardened/prestige editions on XBLA? I may have to switch my preorder back.

One more question, does anyone know if call of duty (pc) runs on vista 64, It's only $10 on newegg and I kinda want to have at it one way or another.

I just installed CoD and UO last night on Win7 64-bit and it ran great.

I assume the version of CoD hitting xbla and psn is just a straight port right? They arent doing anything fancy with the graphics? These systems should be able to easily do CoD at 1080p 60fps with plenty of AA, hopefully they didn't just phone in the port and put it up at 720p with 2xaa.

So I'm in Aus and I've played about 10 games, I really like this game. Only beef is that there's NO party system at all. I went in with a group of 4 and got split 50% of the time. It's even worse because I can't talk to them due to lack of party chat. Boo. CoD:WaW had a lot of little features like the party system that IW could have put some thought into...

Edit: To elaborate, you can join your friends in a pre-game lobby but it doesn't mean you'll be put on the same team.

cameltoe

harrytang said:
maybe i should have been able ot figure this out but I haven't yet.

why when you shoot someone does a small red and yellow symbol appear? I'm not even sure what the symbol is but it pops up sometimes i shoot someone and other times now. My guess would be i'm shooting someone with pain killer. anyone know anything else?

someone said online that when you shoot someone and money flies out, it means that kill was a payback kill. can anyone confirm this? its really strange to see hundred dollar bills flying everywhere.

The dude has painkiller....

I believe you are correct with the money thing...I thought it was when you killed someone with "bling" equipped though....

cameltoe

Neverender said:
So I'm in Aus and I've played about 10 games, I really like this game. Only beef is that there's NO party system at all. I went in with a group of 4 and got split 50% of the time. It's even worse because I can't talk to them due to lack of party chat. Boo. CoD:WaW had a lot of little features like the party system that IW could have put some thought into...

Edit: To elaborate, you can join your friends in a pre-game lobby but it doesn't mean you'll be put on the same team.

worked the same way with COD 4. You need to back out and party up.

Neverender said:
Do you mean if they invite you into a lobby that is already made, or do you mean when you party up and then join a game lobby?

Dolla Dolla said:
Do you mean if they invite you into a lobby that is already made, or do you mean when you party up and then join a game lobby?

We were all in a lobby together, four of us. The leader started a search for a game, we found enough players, and when it sorted the teams we were spread across both of them.

b.e.r.g

I haven't payed much attention to this MW2 price hate/love lately, but I came across this today:

14mfmyu.jpg

Here in Norway a normal pricing (at full price) for console games are around 600 NOK and PC games around 500 NOK, so I wouldn't call this a bad deal at all. Seems like all retailers here sells the PC version cheaper actually.

MrPliskin

Banned
KennyLinder said:
Framerate to be totally honest isn't great on PS3, its dropped multiple times in every level I have played. Are they awful dips? No, but it has slightly affected aiming at times so in that regard you could say it was a game breaker. There are areas where there are no back facing textures, or edges on brick walls so you can see through them when you're covering behind it! It's a little unpolished in that regard. Sorry for not jizzing over the game like everyone else, but these things really stand out when cover is so important in the game.

You're saying not so awful frame drops that only slightly affect your aiming in campaign (with all of it's auto aim goodness) are game breakers?

Huh.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Amazon UK have dropped the PS360 price to £32, for those still on the bench. It's now less than the PC version.

Link here.

It doesn't look like any other retailers (gameplay, play, game) are following suit, so it may be an error.

Act fast and wise.

Peff

anddo0 said:
Yeah, MP isn't really my scene... Spec Ops does seem interesting, I'll wait for reviews to see how meaty it is.

Spec Ops is quite good if you have someone to play with (and alone too), it's like Horde in GoW2 mixed with the time trials from Mirror's Edge and it should add length to the pretty short campaign. I still think it'd be better to wait for whatever drop in price you can get if you're really not into the MP but this game won't drop for a long time so...

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
KennyLinder said:

I'll back you up on this. The frame rate on PS3 isn't bad, but it's definitely uneven. I don't have the money to double dip with the 360 version and make comparisons, so it'd be unfair to make the PS3 hardware out as the culprit at this stage.

Perhaps it'd be best to hold off on this subject until Eurogamer's inevitable face-off.

Blair

Banned
Played a few matches on the ps3 multiplayer

Great stuff, had to get used to going from 50 player servers on cod4 PC to 18 player matchmaking but i can find a nice tdm pretty quick so i'm not too bothered.

StylusX

Played quite a bit of spec ops with a friend online...really good fun. Haven't got past Charlie but man are they tough on veteran (don't know if this counts as spoilers but to be on the safe side)
the one you have to breach turns into a fuckin laser show lol. This might be old news but i love how all ghillied up has kinda come back

No_Style

amstradcpc said:
The story in this game is like in Resistance 2: incoherent.

After watching some of the interviews, I'm not surprised. They essentially said:

"We've made a bunch set pieces in different locales and then wrapped a story around it"

REV 09

REV 09 said:
so which playlists can and can't you use party chat in? thanks
to answer my own question:

It has been confirmed that you can NOT Party Chat in all Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer Playlists. You may still Party Chat in these Playlists however:

* Mercenary Team Deathmatch
* Free-For-All
* Third Person Teams

Here is a list of the Playlists you may not Party Chat in:

* Domination
* Ground War
* Demolition
* Sabotage
* Headquarters Pro
* Search & Destroy
* Hardcore Search & Destroy
* Capture The Flag
* Team Deathmatch
* Hardcore Team Deathmatch
* Third Person Cagematch

http://www.joystickradio.com/news/1497/list-of-modern-warfare-2-playlists-with-party-chat/

this is fucking bullshit. almost makes me not to want to even buy the game now. who the fuck cares about cheating anyways? i just want to be able to talk to my friends and co-workers.

Dabanton

nib95 said:
Anyone know if the 24hr Asda's will be selling this at midnight tonight?

Yes they will,i've brought plenty of games from there at that ungodly hour.:lol

Get there early though,when i went to get OPF2 there was a pretty long line, i was pretty surprised as it's not what i would call a 'big' game but then Asda were selling it for 27.99 ,so i can only imagine what the lines will be like tonight.

Good thing is it's apparently 1 copy per customer so no shenanigans from managers of game stores buying them all up.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Damn, IW are certainly masters of their craft. The adherence to their 60fps target is refreshing and admirable. If only all developers thought that way. The game would lose a lot if they compromised in that dept.

Love how IW are obviously fans of HBO's 'Generation Kill'. :)

They spent some loot on the voice acting. I recognize two voices off the bat. Keith David and dude from Harry from Dexter.

Mikey Jr.

REV 09 said:
to answer my own question:

It has been confirmed that you can NOT Party Chat in all Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer Playlists. You may still Party Chat in these Playlists however:

* Mercenary Team Deathmatch
* Free-For-All
* Third Person Teams

Here is a list of the Playlists you may not Party Chat in:

* Domination
* Ground War
* Demolition
* Sabotage
* Headquarters Pro
* Search & Destroy
* Hardcore Search & Destroy
* Capture The Flag
* Team Deathmatch
* Hardcore Team Deathmatch
* Third Person Cagematch

http://www.joystickradio.com/news/1497/list-of-modern-warfare-2-playlists-with-party-chat/

this is fucking bullshit. almost makes me not to want to even buy the game now. who the fuck cares about cheating anyways? i just want to be able to talk to my friends and co-workers.

I understand objective based. Ok, that I can kinda understand. But for fuck sakes, TDM? Who gives a shit!

Pctx

Banned
Are most of you guys getting it tonight/tomorrow morning?

I just can't justify paying $60 bucks for a game that in a couple of weeks will be $40 bucks. Still gonna be tough to wait though.

Pctx said:

I just can't justify paying $60 bucks for a game that in a couple of weeks will be $40 bucks. Still gonna be tough to wait though.
CoD4 is still at $45. What in the world makes you think this will drop down to $40 in a couple of weeks?

Dabanton

Pctx said:

Good luck waiting for that. :lol

CoD4 is one of the only games i can remember never really seeing going cheap or used.

And even then that was at a silly price.

hulot

Peff said:
Spec Ops is quite good if you have someone to play with (and alone too), it's like Horde in GoW2 mixed with the time trials from Mirror's Edge and it should add length to the pretty short campaign. I still think it'd be better to wait for whatever drop in price you can get if you're really not into the MP but this game won't drop for a long time so...
Some of the missions are amazing (one in a gunship, the other on the ground) but once you're done with them, it's literally over. I don't see myself replaying them unless I were helping a friend get 3 stars. There'd at least be a reason to replay if they had let you level up your multiplayer character in spec ops.

Pctx said:

Just pre-order it off of Amazon. You'll get a $20 voucher for future purchases. So it's basically MW2 for $40.

Docpan

Has anyone with the 360 version experienced these framerate drops that ps3 users have been mentioning? This might make my choice easy if the difference is that drastic.

KennyLinder said:
Played lots more this lunch time, the action is relentless. Not sure if I am sold on the SP yet, it doesn't feel as polished or even as fair as MW1. The respawning enemies are just as bad, and the red blood splatter is awful. What was wrong with how it worked before? It didn't need changing.

Also, the red blood splatter hides the redicule colour so if you're in a level where the enemies look almost identical to your team mates (this happens), and the screen is covered in blood, its impossible to see if they are enemies or not. Then you die. Again.

Are you even playing the same game as me? I have played through twice on the ps3 version, experienced no frame drops (that i noticed) and respawning enemies? I didn't have any respawning enemies in my version haha.

As for the blood splatter hindering your view, I am certain it is supposed to be like that. I mean, you kind of have to have a negative effect of being shot.

I think your post fails.

h3ro

Dax01 said:
CoD4 is still at $45. What in the world makes you think this will drop down to $40 in a couple of weeks?

Both CoD4 and WaW were available for $40/$35 by the Thanksgiving/X-mas shopping season on Amazon and other retailers.

I picked up WaW last year during Amazon's Gold Box.

Weenerz

Banned
Docpan said:
Has anyone with the 360 version experienced these framerate drops that ps3 users have been mentioning? This might make my choice easy if the difference is that drastic.

This has been asked like 10 times, please read the thread.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
is there no indication of when the standalone version of Call of Duty 1 will release? I'd hate to spend 20 bucks on the special edition if the standalone is just 10.

Billy Mitchell said:
Are you even playing the same game as me? I have played through twice on the ps3 version, experienced no frame drops (that i noticed) and respawning enemies? I didn't have any respawning enemies in my version haha.

As for the blood splatter hindering your view, I am certain it is supposed to be like that. I mean, you kind of have to have a negative effect of being shot.

I think your post fails.

The frame drops are occuring. You aren't seeing them. Or, you don't know what they are.

Top Bottom