• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Micromegas said:

The original COD4 was stated as having no lead, I doubt they would change things up when it's the same engine. Both 4 and WaW ran about the same on consoles, I doubt 2 will be much different.

mYm|17|

Y2Kev said:
Amazon says shipping soon
yea for me to............360 version. I don't really care when I get the Amazon one though as I just wanted the $20 credit and will be selling that one.

Good thing I pre-ordered it from that Best Buy deal awhile back. I will be picking that up tonight.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
BruceLeeRoy said:
We have any gaf impressions of the campaign yet?
No proper impression but campaign is pretty damn awesome. In the end you're left wanting for more. Throughout there's plenty of big :O moments and sometimes things might seem a bit too real.

beast786

BattleMonkey said:
The original COD4 was stated as having no lead, I doubt they would change things up when it's the same engine. Both 4 and WaW ran about the same on consoles, I doubt 2 will be much different.

COD 4 almost saved PS3 in 07 (IMO). With Games like Halo 3,Mass Effect, Bioshock(All onf 360 back to back to back) and all the horrible , horrible ports including Maddens 60fps for 360 vs 30 fps for PS3.

COD 4 was the first true MP game that was released at the same time as 360 version was not its little bitch.

It was IW who told the rest of the gaming industry that you can make MP games on PS3.

Teetris said:
No proper impression but campaign is pretty damn awesome. In the end you're left wanting for more. Throughout there's plenty of big :O moments and sometimes things might seem a bit too real.

Hell yes. That sounds great.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
mYm|17| said:
yea for me to............360 version. I don't really care when I get the Amazon one though as I just wanted the $20 credit and will be selling that one.

Good thing I pre-ordered it from that Best Buy deal awhile back. I will be picking that up tonight.
Lemme explain how impatient I am. I ordered from amazon to get the game for 25 dollars because I had credit(release date shipping included). I am going to gamestop to get it tonight at midnight and I will return my amazon copy to gamestop sometime this week.

I think I have a sickness lol :lol :lol I need it now!!!!!!

BruceLeeRoy said:
We have any gaf impressions of the campaign yet?
I'm not a hardcore COD player, but I really thought the gameplay was very gripping to say the least (beat the game on Veteran just recently). In comparison, I'd say a lot of the set pieces were better than most of MW1 aside from the gunship one and "Ghillied Up." There are a few times where there isn't a lot of action, and when there is, it's balls to the wall.

There are times where the CPU has some retarded aim, but it's nothing I couldn't get around without playing smarter. There are a lot of complaints about the blood splatter when you get tagged, but for me it gave me a sense of caution instead of running and gunning all over the place, which helped add a little more tension to the already sweet set pieces. Checkpoints are pretty generous as well so you don't have to worry too much about mowing down a ton of enemies for 15 minutes only to get capped in the head and having to restart the level again. Enemy respawn wasn't an issue for me as well, unlike MW1.

I had the PS3 version of the game, so I share pretty much all of the sentiments other PS3 players have of the game. There are frame drops (very few that are extreeeeeemly noticeable), but it never takes away from the overall playability of the game. It looks great all in all.

Again, not a diehard COD fan, but it was awesome. Easier than MW1 altogether, IMO.

As for the story... I'm kinda eh about it since it really doesn't give you much insight on a couple random things
was Shephard's reasoning for attempting to eliminate 141 after retrieving Makarov's intel was because of the convenience to essentially place the blame on Price's nuclear missile launch?
, but it all held up rather alright as an end result.

donkey show said:
I'm not a hardcore COD player, but I really thought the gameplay was very gripping to say the least (beat the game on Veteran just recently). In comparison, I'd say a lot of the set pieces were better than most of MW1 aside from the gunship one and "Ghillied Up." There are a few times where there isn't a lot of action, and when there is, it's balls to the wall.

There are times where the CPU has some retarded aim, but it's nothing I couldn't get around without playing smarter. There are a lot of complaints about the blood splatter when you get tagged, but for me it gave me a sense of caution instead of running and gunning all over the place, which helped add a little more tension to the already sweet set pieces. Checkpoints are pretty generous as well so you don't have to worry too much about mowing down a ton of enemies for 15 minutes only to get capped in the head and having to restart the level again. Enemy respawn wasn't an issue for me as well, unlike MW1.

I had the PS3 version of the game, so I share pretty much all of the sentiments other PS3 players have of the game. There are frame drops (very few that are extreeeeeemly noticeable), but it never takes away from the overall playability of the game. It looks great all in all.

Again, not a diehard COD fan, but it was awesome. Easier than MW1 altogether, IMO.

As for the story... I'm kinda eh about it since it really doesn't give you much insight on a couple random things
was Shephard's reasoning for attempting to eliminate 141 after retrieving Makarov's intel was because of the convenience to essentially place the blame on Price's nuclear missile launch?
, but it all held up rather alright as an end result.

Damn cant wait man thanks for the detailed impressions.

Wal-mart in my area will be staying open during this tropical storm. Looks like I'll be picking up my own copy in 50mph winds. Yes, we are hardcore down here. :lol

Nizz

beast786 said:
COD 4 almost saved PS3 in 07 (IMO). With Games like Halo 3,Mass Effect, Bioshock(All onf 360 back to back to back) and all the horrible , horrible ports including Maddens 60fps for 360 vs 30 fps for PS3.

COD 4 was the first true MP game that was released at the same time as 360 version was not its little bitch.

It was IW who told the rest of the gaming industry that you can make MP games on PS3.
Oh yeah, I remember that year. It was so bad imo that I swore COD4 was going to run at 30fps on PS3.

Glad those days are behind us. On topic, a friend of mine picked MW2 up and he told me you can choose your own country's flag for your multiplayer character?

got2bekidding said:
Wal-mart in my area will be staying open during this tropical storm. Looks like I'll be picking up my own copy in 50mph winds. Yes, we are hardcore down here.
You in the Florida area too?

MThanded said:
Lemme explain how impatient I am. I ordered from amazon to get the game for 25 dollars because I had credit(release date shipping included). I am going to gamestop to get it tonight at midnight and I will return my amazon copy to gamestop sometime this week.

ah I've played that game before. Good stuff. I'd do it again here except I have to work tomorrow anyway, so I might as well just wait for the Amazon to arrive instead of trying to get it at midnight.

Az

fps fanatic said:
Oh yeah, I remember that year. It was so bad imo that I swore COD4 was going to run at 30fps on PS3.

Glad those days are behind us. On topic, a friend of mine picked MW2 up and he told me you can choose your own country's flag for your multiplayer character?

Yes many flags to choose from. Looks like more will be unlocked since there are many locked spots after the flags.

fps fanatic said:
On the beach in MS. I've played the game already, but I need more!! (and my own copy, as I was playing a friend's copy before). I just hope my power doesn't get knocked out. :/

divisionbyzorro said:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 | Official Thread of BOTH VERSIONS ARE IDENTICAL
This is unacceptable. One version has to be better than the other.

If there isn't a better version, what would there be to discuss in this thread? The campaign? Multiplayer? Get the fuck out.

Nizz

TheAzRim said:
Yes many flags to choose from. Looks like more will be unlocked since there are many locked spots after the flags.
Ahh, ok. Sounds cool.

got2bekidding said:
On the beach in MS. I've played the game already, but I need more!! (and my own copy, as I was playing a friend's copy before). I just hope my power doesn't get knocked out. :/
Gotcha. :D

procrastinator

Neo Member
grif1020 said:
That's why I said "officially." Obviously some people found a way around it but the guy posting pictures didn't have the proper NAT type settings and how many people are playing the PC version already? I take his "finding game" complaints with a grain of salt. I hate the lack of dedicated server issue as much as the next person, but I don't think that finding games will be that difficult as this guy is claiming once the game is out officially.

Authentication is open for Down Under apparently.

Dax01 said:

If there isn't a better version, what would there be to discuss in this thread? The campaign? Multiplayer? Get the fuck out.

The PC version still is the best, even if IW tries to gimp it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
MThanded said:

I have been there. But the two times I did something like that, I regretted it the next day as a few hours really didn't make much of a difference.

2qtzqd1.jpg

Akimbo? WTF?

Next stop, overshields and 13-year-olds. :lol

Nachkebia

Banned
Man, something is wrong with me, I constantly get bored of campaign and switch it off, problem is I have hard time connecting to any mp game :(

Violater

Dax01 said:

05_beverly_hills_cop_i_303_404_paramount_pictures.jpg

First thing popped into my head.
sorry long day here.

Alright guys I've got a question: I identify myself as someone who never really got into the FPS genre, but is still very interested in the game. I mean, I played a little Counterstrike way back in the day, and I loved Bioshock, but I never saw myself as a hardcore shooter fan (I thought Gears was just meh and never got into Halo). It should also be said that I also never got into the first Modern Warfare game; I picked up my 360 way after it came out and was intimidated for being LTTP. So my question is, how casual-friendly will MW2 be to someone like me? Will I be left in the dust from everyone else who played a lot of MW1 to the point where I won't be having any fun? Or will I be able to ease myself gradually into the game and not dwell forever in n00b territory?

P.S. Sorry if this question has already been asked.

A.R.K

REV 09 said:
to answer my own question:

It has been confirmed that you can NOT Party Chat in all Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer Playlists. You may still Party Chat in these Playlists however:

* Mercenary Team Deathmatch
* Free-For-All
* Third Person Teams

Here is a list of the Playlists you may not Party Chat in:

* Domination
* Ground War
* Demolition
* Sabotage
* Headquarters Pro
* Search & Destroy
* Hardcore Search & Destroy
* Capture The Flag
* Team Deathmatch
* Hardcore Team Deathmatch
* Third Person Cagematch

http://www.joystickradio.com/news/1497/list-of-modern-warfare-2-playlists-with-party-chat/

this is fucking bullshit. almost makes me not to want to even buy the game now. who the fuck cares about cheating anyways? i just want to be able to talk to my friends and co-workers.

but you can still chat to ppl in your team at all time correct? Is it like the same deal as KZ2 where you can always chat to your squad but for the rest of the team/enemy its proximity based only?

winnarps

cmonmanreally said:
Alright guys I've got a question: I identify myself as someone who never really got into the FPS genre, but is still very interested in the game. I mean, I played a little Counterstrike way back in the day, and I loved Bioshock, but I never saw myself as a hardcore shooter fan (I thought Gears was just meh and never got into Halo). It should also be said that I also never got into the first Modern Warfare game; I picked up my 360 way after it came out and was intimidated for being LTTP. So my question is, how casual-friendly will MW2 be to someone like me? Will I be left in the dust from everyone else who played a lot of MW1 to the point where I won't be having any fun? Or will I be able to ease myself gradually into the game and not dwell forever in n00b territory?

I've always felt that the COD games in general are easy to get into. It might be overwhelming at first with all of the perks/unlocks/etc, but you should be fine. You'll rank up regardless of skill.

Honestly, I bet the hardcore MW1 players are still going to have to adapt, because several reports have said the game feels a bit different/new in terms of how things control.

Dabanton

cmonmanreally said:

MW1 was pretty causal friendly. Face any FPS game that you come LTTP to your going to get your ass kicked the first couple of hours you get it.

But the thing i like about MW is that all the weapons are dangerous in their own ways even the basic MP5 is deadly and that's a level 1 weapon.

Just play some Deathmatches so no one else is relying on you.

DeuceMojo said:
2qtzqd1.jpg

Akimbo? WTF?

Next stop, overshields and 13-year-olds. :lol

Forgot to include non-stop bunnyhopping.

BTW, somebody really dropped the fucking ball on keeping holy the release date. But then I guess I'm just jealous.:D

DeuceMojo said:
Forgot to include non-stop bunnyhopping.

BTW, somebody really dropped the fucking ball on keeping holy the release date. But then I guess I'm just jealous.:D
Not so much bunnyhopping as there is the "lay down" move. I encountered that a lot during my 2 days of playing. People do still hop around the corners though.

Tom Penny

Dax01 said:
I don't know... I think the mouse support on the 360 is better than it is on the PC.

Are you insinuating that a mouse is better than a controller for shooters? That is a myth and blasphemy.

X26

Banned
Dunno if I'll pick it up at midnight or not, but regardless don't they usually call you beforehand to remind you?

Top Bottom