• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

kuYuri

_Alkaline_ said:
Are we likely to get a third map pack? Wouldn't mind seeing District and Backlot (or even Crossfire) get a run in the game. Also think the game could use a map with some significant lighting changes - perhaps a darkened level like the EMP scene in the campaign?

call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-20091109113933089_640w.jpg

Only problem is that MW2 doesn't give you night-vision anymore, though you do get the choice of thermal.

Actually, I think there a variety of locales in the single-player that would still provide great choices for maps - such the suburban washington (which is kinda covered in Bailout but not particularly well) or the oil rig. Hopefully there will be a 3rd map pack then before Black-Ops' release.

It's suburban Virginia actually, but yes. I would like to see maps based on the Washington level and oil rig. I would also like to see a map based on the gulag.

This game is fucking ridiculous. It is broken!

I just got a 47 Kill streak with one Chopper gunner on wasteland.

That's 47 kills JUST WITH THE CHOPPER GUNNER.

I finished 67 -1

I got a few kills so they spawned together, and then it just didn't move their spawn for the whole 30 seconds! Hilarious.

Xux

Strider2K99 said:
Call of Duty Wiki claims F2000's recoil was reduced in last patch/update.

Anyone noticed?

Shot up some walls in Bailout with it a minute ago. Don't notice any difference with or without the red dot.

They say that every patch. :/

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Dear IW (if anyone is left),

Screw you.

Team Tatical is now Search and Destory with party chat. 9/10 games are SaD, you vote to skip SaD and you get more SaD.

Seriously.

Dark-Cloudz said:
This game is fucking ridiculous. It is broken!

I just got a 47 Kill streak with one Chopper gunner on wasteland.

That's 47 kills JUST WITH THE CHOPPER GUNNER.

I finished 67 -1

I got a few kills so they spawned together, and then it just didn't move their spawn for the whole 30 seconds! Hilarious.

Blame the other team for not knowing how to use launchers.

They had no time to use launchers, all 8 kept spawning on exactly the same spot, even the cold-blooded ones were easy to spot and died instantly.

I mean I wasn't complaining, it's taken my best streak up from 42 to 58.

aku:jiki

New maps look even sweeter than they sounded! I can't wait for the Carnival map and I think Fuel looks cool. Like alkaline posted above, sniping is shitty in this game so I'm fine with giving snipers one more map to have fun on. At least there'll be proper sniping on a map like that and not jackasses running around with the M21 like it was an assault rifle or whatever.

Anyone else notice how IW always uses the L86 in screenshots? Why?

Seep said:
Still no new weapons? PASS.
Why the hell would you want them to add weapons when they still haven't properly balanced the ones that are already there? Them just throwing shit in there is the big problem with the game in the first place, it doesn't need to get worse.

jiien

Strider2K99 said:
Call of Duty Wiki claims F2000's recoil was reduced in last patch/update.

Anyone noticed?

I definitely noticed. The last time I used the F2000 was as soon as I unlocked it, which was probably a day or two after the game released last year. So since I have touched it since then, it definitely felt less jumpy. It used to feel like a really weak TAR, now it has noticeably less recoil.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
so i've been playing with this class recently:

Riot shield
Javelin or thumper
C4

Scavenger pro
Danger close pro
SitRep pro

Curiously i either get annihilated or completely dominate the game. The class seems to work the best on Rundown and Favela in demolition

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Somebody on my friends list mysteriously jumped from 40,000 kills to 140,000 in the past five days. :lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
A little while ago I played in the most lopsided TDM match I've ever been a part of. My team won 75-10. I only went 7-2 because one guy went 23-0 and another went 20-0 and the game didn't last very long at all.

They had the same clan tag so next game when it put me on the opposite team as them I was like "oh great now I'm gonna get raped". But instead I tore them up and went 20-2. Then me and some level 35 noob continued to tear them up for the next few games.

So, I really hope the next Call of Duty has less of an emphasis on killstreaks. SeaNanners is right: this really is Call of Duty: Killstreak Warrior. I'm tired of having matches where I go 20-7, but feel like I did poorly because I never got a 5-streak. By all accounts, 20-7 should be a good match, but it certainly doesn't feel like it when you're chasing AC-130 kills. :lol

Do we think Treyarch is capable of building a good weapon balance in Black Ops? It's starting to feel like CoD4 was lightning in a bottle - I'm hoping Treyarch can learn from W@W and MW2 and make something great, but I'm not counting on it.

Dresden

divisionbyzorro said:
So, I really hope the next Call of Duty has less of an emphasis on killstreaks. SeaNanners is right: this really is Call of Duty: Killstreak Warrior. I'm tired of having matches where I go 20-7, but feel like I did poorly because I never got a 5-streak. By all accounts, 20-7 should be a good match, but it certainly doesn't feel like it when you're chasing AC-130 kills. :lol

Do we think Treyarch is capable of building a good weapon balance in Black Ops? It's starting to feel like CoD4 was lightning in a bottle - I'm hoping Treyarch can learn from W@W and MW2 and make something great, but I'm not counting on it.
I hope they get rid of killstreaks like the Harrier and the Chopper Gunner, and stick to stuff that are a bit more tactical in nature--things like Counter UAV, Sentry Guns, and the EMP.

Is there going to be some type of GOTY edition or some type of DLC pack for a reduced price?

Interested in returning to MW2 for all the new maps but paying 30 dollars...I mean come on.

Dresden said:
I hope they get rid of killstreaks like the Harrier and the Chopper Gunner, and stick to stuff that are a bit more tactical in nature--things like Counter UAV, Sentry Guns, and the EMP.

See, this would be my dream. Have there be three killstreak slots, like perk slots. The first slot has tactical bonuses (like UAV, Jammer, Sentry), the second has a quick strike (like Airstrike or Predator), and the third has the big air support (like Harrier or Pave Low or EMP). This way you always have something to help the team.

divisionbyzorro said:

I don't even care if the weapons are very balanced anymore. I want less killing killstreaks. I always get the urge to play a bit of COD, but killstreaks have put me off so much I don't really bother with MW2 anymore. Stuff like UAV, counter UAV, EMP seem like good add-ons to the core gameplay, or even sentry guns but persistant air-support has worn out its welcome for me.

I hope whatever changes they make emphasize the core gameplay again, as in infantry movement, positioning and shooting. My hopes anyway.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. If it were up to me, this is what I would do to MW2:

• The killstreak setup I mentioned earlier.
  • Make the grenade launcher attachment take your equipment slot and only have a single grenade. Still useful for launching a precision explosive, but no longer viable as a primary means of getting kills.
  • Make One Man Army a red perk and make Lightweight a blue perk. Bam - the two most annoying kits in the game are immediately neutered.
  • Reduce the claymore delay, or increase it's detection range. Basically, someone with Marathon should not be able to escape it. You should only be able to escape a claymore if you saw it and disabled it, rather than getting lucky and running over it without knowing it was there.
  • Make the Stinger a level 10 unlock.

I'm also tempted to say that Danger Close should be removed all together, but I'm not 100% sure about that one just yet.

Dresden

I'd be happy if they took the grenade launcher attachment out altogether. Let people use RPGs and Thumpers if they want, but they'd have to sacrifice their secondary slot for them. It'd also solve the problem with One Man Army spamming.

About Danger Close... I think it should be gone altogether. Explosives are powerful enough without receiving a damage boost.

Commando should reduce delay between stabs, not extend the range of the melee attack. I think the "Pro" bonus is fine, but lag-assisted teleportation attacks are not.

Finally, make shotguns a primary again. Pistols and launchers should be the only secondaries. One thing I miss about COD4 and WaW is how a good player was able to take advantage of his pistol--now, though, everyone just pulls out their akimbo Rafficas or Spas-12.

USD

I've only used it in one game and it took forever to unlock, but I'm liking SitRep Pro. But I just read that it doesn't work on people who use Ninja Pro, which is what I was hoping for. SitRep Pro should at least cancel Ninja Pro, putting the footsteps at normal volume.

EDIT: Oh shit, I just found out the FAL does 55-40 (i.e. two-shot kill everywhere with Stopping Power) when you equip the holographic sight instead of 55-35. It's fucking on now.

EDIT2: Also just found out the FAL has the shortest range of the Assault Rifles. No wonder I can't pull off M14-style medium-long range headshots, it's impossible.

EDIT3: And it has the widest hip spread. It's definitely no G3 at close range, most times I have to burn most of my clip to kill someone.

aku:jiki

Dresden said:
Finally, make shotguns a primary again. Pistols and launchers should be the only secondaries. One thing I miss about COD4 and WaW is how a good player was able to take advantage of his pistol--now, though, everyone just pulls out their akimbo Rafficas or Spas-12.
I still can't understand this complaint. Sorry bro, but this is all on you. If you're not pulling your secondary when you're supposed to and the other guy did and killed you with it, that's not because of a design mistake from IW.

Certain secondaries need to be tweaked though, I will agree with that. PP2000 is way too good, Akimbo G18's are bugged (the reticule is too small), Akimbo Raffica's are just pure insanity and the SPAS can be absolutely absurd in a way that is not balanced out by its low rate of fire. What does the pump matter if it can kill at like 50 meters? The AA-12's accuracy should drop through the floor when full-auto'd too.

USD said:
EDIT2: Also just found out the FAL has the shortest range of the Assault Rifles. No wonder I can't pull off M14-style medium-long range headshots, it's impossible
What do you mean? The only weapons in this game that have a maximum range at all are the shotguns. Everything else can hit at any range if your aim is good.

There is even a shotgun without a max range - the shotgun attachment.

Xux

aku:jiki said:
What do you mean? The only weapons in this game that have a maximum range at all are the shotguns. Everything else can hit at any range if your aim is good.

There is even a shotgun without a max range - the shotgun attachment.

FAL headshots are one hit kill with stopping power within the max damage range.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I tried giving Bad Company 2 a go with a friend of mine and since then it just makes anyone who complains about MW2 look like a fool. MW2 has its problems, but BC2 is a piece of shit.

On the 2nd mission of single player I was in a house hiding from a tank. I call in air support to destroy it, all goes ok, but then everything starts shaking earthquake style and the house I'm in collapses around me! I find myself in some weird ditch with the rubble above me. the game autosaves while I'm in here! I'm thinking - is this part of the story? are my team mates going to save me? Nope. They all run off.

I jump my way out of the glitch and start walking through walls and shit. only I can't leave the house. I can walk around in some tiny square, I can get to an area where the rubble has an opening but I can't jump out to get free. I can shoot but I can't shoot myself free. Just ended up killing myself a few times with grenades. I had to restart the whole mission.

Then a couple of days later my friend tells me how his single player game suddenly corrupted on him after he'd spent hours playing it. He has to start from the beginning! Horrendous.

kuYuri

kaizoku said:
I tried giving Bad Company 2 a go with a friend of mine and since then it just makes anyone who complains about MW2 look like a fool. MW2 has its problems, but BC2 is a piece of shit.

On the 2nd mission of single player I was in a house hiding from a tank. I call in air support to destroy it, all goes ok, but then everything starts shaking earthquake style and the house I'm in collapses around me! I find myself in some weird ditch with the rubble above me. the game autosaves while I'm in here! I'm thinking - is this part of the story? are my team mates going to save me? Nope. They all run off.

I jump my way out of the glitch and start walking through walls and shit. only I can't leave the house. I can walk around in some tiny square, I can get to an area where the rubble has an opening but I can't jump out to get free. I can shoot but I can't shoot myself free. Just ended up killing myself a few times with grenades. I had to restart the whole mission.

Then a couple of days later my friend tells me how his single player game suddenly corrupted on him after he'd spent hours playing it. He has to start from the beginning! Horrendous.

Talking about rare single player glitches doesn't really help your case. :lol

kaizoku said:

I am so glad I am not the only one who feels that way.
I don't like the way the weapons feel in BC2 which kinda ruins the whole thing for me.

divisionbyzorro said:
I've been thinking a lot about this lately. If it were up to me, this is what I would do to MW2:

• Make the grenade launcher attachment take your equipment slot and only have a single grenade. Still useful for launching a precision explosive, but no longer viable as a primary means of getting kills.
  • Make One Man Army a red perk and make Lightweight a blue perk. Bam - the two most annoying kits in the game are immediately neutered.
  • Reduce the claymore delay, or increase it's detection range. Basically, someone with Marathon should not be able to escape it. You should only be able to escape a claymore if you saw it and disabled it, rather than getting lucky and running over it without knowing it was there.

I'm also tempted to say that Danger Close should be removed all together, but I'm not 100% sure about that one just yet.

Was the momentum system your idea? I loved the sound of that idea.

I also dont think its fair to call Battlefield a "peice of shit" because of a glitch.

benita

Banned
MW2 and BC2 both have their plusses and minuses but to call either a piece of shit proves you to be a fanboy of the highest order :lol

Mush

kaizoku said:
Dude. 99% of the conversation in this thread is about MP. BC2 is a incredible multiplayer game. So is MW2
(at times)
. Take that shit else where.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
divisionbyzorro said:

Sounds good.

USD

Some people might not like it, but I love Danger Close (Pro).

1. Use One Man Army.
2. Get the Harrier.
3. Switch to Danger Close Pro class.
4. ???
5. PROFIT

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hey people, let's not shit up this thread by discussing/pissing on other games. I had enough of that in the BC2 thread. I really thought we were better than this. I come here to read about MW2.

Maybe they could replace Danger Close with an air-support focused Perk.

• Danger Close: Increased air support damage.
  • Danger Close Pro: One extra flare on all air support.

I totally agree with itsnervedamage - I want the game to go back to infantry tactics rather than seeing how silly you can be. Even folks like SeaNanners and WingsOfRedemption admit in their videos that their tactics only work when people in the lobby aren't tube-spamming or knife-running. And the super-high killstreaks only encourage lesser players to just sit and camp. Pull all that crap out and I think you'll find the game gets much better.

divisionbyzorro said:
Maybe they could replace Danger Close with an air-support focused Perk.

• Danger Close: Increased air support damage.
  • Danger Close Pro: One extra flare on all air support.

I totally agree with itsnervedamage - I want the game to go back to infantry tactics rather than seeing how silly you can be. Even folks like SeaNanners and WingsOfRedemption admit in their videos that their tactics only work when people in the lobby aren't tube-spamming or knife-running. And the super-high killstreaks only encourage lesser players to just sit and camp. Pull all that crap out and I think you'll find the game gets much better.

Yeah I agree, and the 'sillyness' is what has put me off this game a lot, the core gameplay is BRILLIANT when you get some good lobbys going, but with limited time I dont want to take that chance when I load up my xbox.

bobs99 ... said:
Yeah I agree, and the 'sillyness' is what has put me off this game a lot, the core gameplay is BRILLIANT when you get some good lobbys going, but with limited time I dont want to take that chance when I load up my xbox.

I just think it's a shame at how some great ideas by IW were incredibly abused. SMG + Marathon + Lightweight + Ninja makes a fantastic flanker or anti-sniper class. One Man Army gives huge flexibility to any class.

I've been playing a lot of the Halo: Reach beta lately, and while I don't think their melee system is balanced within the constructs of the rest of that game, I like their line of thinking. If you sneak up behind someone, you can one-hit-kill them with melee, but it takes time. Otherwise, melee is a two-hit-kill from full health.

Perhaps it's a simple as removing Commando. I know I've supported it in the past, but I'm really starting to feel like it doesn't work in the real world under the confines of the natural lag that all shooters experience. Or perhaps you make it so that if you take damage, you can't execute the commando lunge (thus eliminating the scenarios in which some guy is running full steam at you and you get two hit markers before he lunges at you).

USD

Yeah, the holographic sight makes a huge difference with the FAL. Easily the most feared gun at mid or long range. At long range, it's essentially a two-shot G3. I just got two nukes in a row, and almost got a third.

My primary:

FAL + Holographic sight
Semtex + Flash
One Man Army Pro
Stopping Power Pro
SitRep Pro
Painkiller

My stealth/anti-UAV/anti-air support:

FAL + Holographic Sight + Silencer
Stinger
Frag + Flash
Bling Pro
Cold-Blooded Pro
Ninja Pro
Painkiller

And my air support class (which I only use when I get my Harrier):

SCAR-H + M203
USP .45
Frag + Flash
Scavenger Pro
Danger Close Pro
Ninja Pro
Painkiller

Hyunkel6

Jtones said:
I might actually start playing again, but I need more reasons to start playing.
Me too. Something like double experience weekends. Even one per month would be enough. Is there any reason why there aren't any (except when mapacks are released)?

USD

Hyunkel6 said:
Me too. Something like double experience weekends. Even one per month would be enough. Is there any reason why there aren't any (except when mapacks are released)?
I read there are two coming up, May 28 and June 4. I might prestige so I can get the extra class, and then use the weekends to boost myself back up.

USD

I was pulling off some Sam Fisher executions today. Sneaking up behind two campers in the same spot, and popping both in the head before they can react. FAL forever. :lol

Top Bottom