• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

USD said:
I've only used it in one game and it took forever to unlock, but I'm liking SitRep Pro. But I just read that it does work on people who use Ninja Pro, which is what I was hoping for. SitRep Pro should at least cancel Ninja Pro, putting the footsteps at normal volume.

EDIT: Oh shit, I just found out the FAL does 55-40 (i.e. two-shot kill everywhere with Stopping Power) instead of 55-35 when you equip the holographic sight. It's fucking on now.

EDIT2: Also just found out the FAL has the shortest range of the Assault Rifles. No wonder I can't pull off M14-style medium-long range headshots, it's impossible.

EDIT3: And it has the widest hip spread. It's definitely no G3 at close range, most times I have to burn most of my clip to kill someone.
I use the fal with silencer and holographic sight. It kills with two bullets

Terrordactyl said:
A very scummy tactic.

That's the kind of legitimate tactic that OMA was made for. It's essentially meant to be a way to sacrifice your blue perk in exchange for being able to switch your red and green perks on the fly.

I find it to be rage inducing, so I hate it. maybe ill try it, ill probably feel bad about it though :lol. I really only play with 2 distinct methods so chaning things up could be fun.

Dresden

I always have that problem with the FAL of trying to pump out the bullets as fast as possible. I know I only need two shots with the Holo sight, but I can't help myself, I'm going to squeeze out the entire clip at one person if I need to.

divisionbyzorro said:
I just think it's a shame at how some great ideas by IW were incredibly abused. SMG + Marathon + Lightweight + Ninja makes a fantastic flanker or anti-sniper class. One Man Army gives huge flexibility to any class.

I've been playing a lot of the Halo: Reach beta lately, and while I don't think their melee system is balanced within the constructs of the rest of that game, I like their line of thinking. If you sneak up behind someone, you can one-hit-kill them with melee, but it takes time. Otherwise, melee is a two-hit-kill from full health.

Perhaps it's a simple as removing Commando. I know I've supported it in the past, but I'm really starting to feel like it doesn't work in the real world under the confines of the natural lag that all shooters experience. Or perhaps you make it so that if you take damage, you can't execute the commando lunge (thus eliminating the scenarios in which some guy is running full steam at you and you get two hit markers before he lunges at you).

I think the 1 hit kill melee mechanic works well in CoD, it worked well on CoD 4 and WaW, I think Commando truly is the culprit. :lol I agree that it sucks that people are abusing perks like Lightweight which would work well in ninja classes, but I dont really know who to blame for that, IW couldnt have possible tested every combination of perks and I love the flexibility in the system. It would be nice if they reacted to 'cheese' classes though.

P.S. This is going to sound stalkerish, but I like seeing you post in the Halo thread. You seem to have pretty good opinions and ideas and so on!

bobs99 ... said:
P.S. This is going to sound stalkerish, but I like seeing you post in the Halo thread. You seem to have pretty good opinions and ideas and so on!

Reach is a good game. I figured I'd post a little in the thread to get some answers, but I mostly lurk. Those guys are passionate about their game of choice, and that thread moves fast!

After playing about 8 hours of Reach, it's interesting to compare the two.

Things I really like about Halo
  • Weapon variety, and the way the various weapons feel
  • Open maps with vehicles (even though the vehicle balance is a little off).
  • Theater mode. I freakin' love theater mode! And online rendering is absolutely genius.
  • The free-for-all game types.
  • Quality online stat tracking.
  • The announcer is great. Overkill! Hammer Spree!
  • The way that Bungie interacts with their userbase (they've got people who regularly post on NeoGAF!)
  • Quit bans! And no join-in-progress.

Things I really like about Call of Duty
  • Hit markers. I can't say enough about how amazing hit markers are. You don't realize how good they are until you play a game without them.
  • Killstreak bonuses. Even though they play too big of a role in MW2, I love the system.
  • Low emphasis on headshots.
  • The team-based game types.
  • Titles and emblems.
  • A meaningful leveling system. I can't say enough about this. It keeps me coming back over and over and over again. Whether it's leveling up or getting new attachments - it's incredibly addicting.
  • Custom loadouts (which means you don't rush for power weapons hidden on the map!)
  • Tactical insertions. Incredibly clever.

divisionbyzorro said:
Reach is a good game. I figured I'd post a little in the thread to get some answers, but I mostly lurk. Those guys are passionate about their game of choice, and that thread moves fast!

After playing about 8 hours of Reach, it's interesting to compare the two.

Things I really like about Halo
  • Weapon variety, and the way the various weapons feel
  • Open maps with vehicles (even though the vehicle balance is a little off).
  • Theater mode. I freakin' love theater mode! And online rendering is absolutely genius.
  • The free-for-all game types.
  • Quality online stat tracking.
  • The announcer is great. Overkill! Hammer Spree!
  • The way that Bungie interacts with their userbase (they've got people who regularly post on NeoGAF!)
  • Quit bans! And no join-in-progress.

Things I really like about Call of Duty
  • Hit markers. I can't say enough about how amazing hit markers are. You don't realize how good they are until you play a game without them.
  • Killstreak bonuses. Even though they play too big of a role in MW2, I love the system.
  • Low emphasis on headshots.
  • The team-based game types.
  • Titles and emblems.
  • A meaningful leveling system. I can't say enough about this. It keeps me coming back over and over and over again. Whether it's leveling up or getting new attachments - it's incredibly addicting.
  • Custom loadouts (which means you don't rush for power weapons hidden on the map!)
  • Tactical insertions. Incredibly clever.

Haha yeah I dont blame you for struggling to keep up with the thread, it isnt quite as bad usually, but with a new game I guess theres a lot of opinions being thrown around about new features, its generally a bit slower (and a lot less bitchy) in there. :lol

I agree with your lists, and I switch between CoD and Halo for the vastly different experiences they offer, I dont think Killstreaks would work well in the Halo gameplay but I LOVE them in CoD for example.

cdyhybrid

Is there any way I can deactivate the map pack temporarily? Getting tired of having every single match be on one of the shitty DLC maps (all of them aside from Salvage) or Derail.

If you're on say a 5 killstreak and then OMA to a class with hardline, then strike with the predator, do you get your harrier? or do you need to achieve all 6 kills with hardline? never tried that.

Also it's a shame they force you to play like a dickhead to achieve danger close pro in any sort of timely manner, it should be a stand alone perk as someone mentioned earlier.

celestial body said:
If you're on say a 5 killstreak and then OMA to a class with hardline, then strike with the predator, do you get your harrier? or do you need to achieve all 6 kills with hardline? never tried that.

If you get a 5-streak, switch to a class with Hardline, and get a single predator kill, you will earn Harriers as a 6-streak.

If you earn a 5-streak, get a single predator kill, and then switch to a class with Hardline, you will not immediately earn Harriers. You will have to get another kill first.

If you have your killstreaks set to 5-7-8, earn a predator, get a kill, switch to Hardline, and get another kill, you'll get your 7 and 8-streak bonuses at the same time.

kuYuri

cdyhybrid said:
Is there any way I can deactivate the map pack temporarily? Getting tired of having every single match be on one of the shitty DLC maps (all of them aside from Salvage) or Derail.

Delete them off your HDD.

butts

I found my new favorite weapon this weekend in the P90. In about 5 hours of play I got 260 headshots with it which is a lot for me (I almost never get headshots). Try P90 akimbo, scavenger/stopping power/steady aim. It is a headshot machine.

ZZMitch

butts said:
I found my new favorite weapon this weekend in the P90. In about 5 hours of play I got 260 headshots with it which is a lot for me (I almost never get headshots). Try P90 akimbo, scavenger/stopping power/steady aim. It is a headshot machine.
Why scavanger?

butts

divisionbyzorro said:
Probably because that kit blows through ammo.

Pretty much. I missed not having marathon but you move through the areas pretty fast without. With scav pro you start with 600 rounds :lol

aku:jiki

butts said:
Pretty much. I missed not having marathon but you move through the areas pretty fast without. With scav pro you start with 600 rounds :lol
Make your secondary akimbo PP2k's, G18's or Raffica's and you'll never run out of ammo with Marathon on. :D

Akimbo PP2k's are the shit. I've grown to dislike the G18's myself.

butts

aku:jiki said:
Make your secondary akimbo PP2k's, G18's or Raffica's and you'll never run out of ammo with Marathon on. :D

Akimbo PP2k's are the shit. I've grown to dislike the G18's myself.

That is true, but I was also trying for frag double kills to finish off that challenge too. Man, those seem so rare, I hit level 53 yesterday and have been using them on every kit this prestige and still only have 13 double+ kills with them :\

butts said:
That is true, but I was also trying for frag double kills to finish off that challenge too. Man, those seem so rare, I hit level 53 yesterday and have been using them on every kit this prestige and still only have 13 double+ kills with them :\
I know your pain. The way I did it was by playing Demolition with my destruction kit - RPG, Danger Close, Scavenger and frags. With one bomb site left and against a team that cares about the objective, you will get loads of chances at multi-frags. Remember to cook your frags well too!

Still takes forever and ever though, and let's not even get started on claymore multi-kills... :(

butts said:
Well surprisingly level 53 is pretty much dead on only half way through a prestige in terms of XP so you've still got plenty of time. Unless what you're discussing is a prestige challenge in which case my point is totally irrelevant.

divisionbyzorro: thanks for the answer.

butts

celestial body said:
Well surprisingly level 53 is pretty much dead on only half way through a prestige in terms of XP so you've still got plenty of time. Unless what you're discussing is a prestige challenge in which case my point is totally irrelevant.

divisionbyzorro: thanks for the answer.

Either way I'm on my 9th so I wont be prestiging again. I'll give the Danger Close thing a try just so I can retire frags for good.

butts said:
Either way I'm on my 9th so I wont be prestiging again. I'll give the Danger Close thing a try just so I can retire frags for good.

The only thing I hate about choosing to stick at a particular prestige (I'm sticking at 3rd) is getting those huge match bonuses and knowing they're all going to waste. Of course, I know if I prestige, I won't be getting 4K match bonuses anyway, since the bonuses scale by level, but it still feels like it's all going down the drain.

Speaking of XP (and I may have said this before). Does anyone other than me feel like a good solution to the quit problem would be to give XP debt to quitters? Perhaps 100XP per level? So if I quit, and I'm at level 40, I go in debt by 4K XP. All of my challenges lock and I can't level up until I pay back my debt. I would love to see something like this implemented - especially for S&D where half of your team drops if they die in the first round. (There would be no penalty for quitting a game that you joined in progress, as long as you quit within, say, 30 seconds of joining.)

Ovid

divisionbyzorro said:
Because it's only available at level 70.

I love it, but I find its accuracy annoying. It's the only high-damage AR that feels like it needs stopping power.
It seems to me that it's only effective short - medium range, correct? It has way too much recoil to be used as a long range weapon. If you plan to snipe with it, forget about it.

tarius1210 said:
It seems to me that it's only effective short - medium range, correct? It has way too much recoil to be used as a long range weapon. If you plan to snipe with it, forget about it.

Correct - and see, I tend to play ARs at very long range. But it does have surprisingly good hipfire accuracy, so if you want to use it with Hardline, you can be successful playing a pretty mobile game. But if you use it with Stopping Power, it becomes a very flexible weapon at many different distances.

I tend to go back and forth on whether or not I like to use Hardline. I tend to keep two AR kits around at all times; one with SP and one with Hardline. It just comes down to my mood at the time.

butts

I saw a video where adding any attachments to the AK widens the spread by a considerable margin. Try using it vanilla, it is pretty sweet.

butts said:
I saw a video where adding any attachments to the AK widens the spread by a considerable margin. Try using it vanilla, it is pretty sweet.

This is true. I mostly use it vanilla except when going for challenges. Although FMJ + stopping power on the AK is freakin' sweet :lol

EDIT: I don't know if this belongs here, but we will likely spend plenty of time in the coming months comparing BO and MW2, so I'll go ahead and post this. OXM scans from WePlayCOD:

OXM said:
  • Vehicles will return, but "not in the way you remember them from WaW".
  • There will be "dedicated co-op" with separate levels. Treyarch changed the subject when we asked about World at War's hugely popular Nazi Zombies.
  • A multiplayer beta's being "considered", Lamia told us with a literal wink.
  • Treyarch will be improving mulitplayer by taking on feedback - even going so far as to openly acknowledge the under-the-map glitches that initially plagued World at War.
  • Changes are being made to the matchmaking to "make it easier for [players] to get into games with their friends."
  • Multiplayer was up and running so early that some campaign levels were actually built from multiplayer maps.
  • Create-a-Class 2.0 will allow you to customise yourself like never before. This should include kit and appearance items as well as perks.

Don't know if this is the place to ask, but does anyone have a good resource on the first MW? I'm looking for good loadouts, weapon stats, etc.

EDIT: Regarding BO, I think it's confirmed that you get to fly a chopper.

kuYuri

divisionbyzorro said:
EDIT: I don't know if this belongs here, but we will likely spend plenty of time in the coming months comparing BO and MW2, so I'll go ahead and post this. OXM scans from WePlayCOD:

We've already got another thread for that.

Mr. Snrub said:
Don't know if this is the place to ask, but does anyone have a good resource on the first MW? I'm looking for good loadouts, weapon stats, etc.

EDIT: Regarding BO, I think it's confirmed that you get to fly a chopper.

You can find weapon stats here: http://denkirson.xanga.com/632800688/call-of-duty-4/

The rest I can't help you with.

EDIT: Beaten to death

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
butts said:

Any gun you have to use vanilla is a gun not worth using.

tarius1210 said:
I love that animation.

Why doesn't anyone use the AK-47?

I've been using it almost exclusively for a few weeks now. I love how you can take down so many guys with a single clip, but damn, does using that thing without a silencer bring attention to yourself.

butts said:

Crap, really? I use the noob tube with mine :( I need something to clear rooms with since i don't carry grenades (I'm a claymore man). And if I don't have that on, I like to have either extended mags or FMJ.

ThirstyFly said:
Crap, really? I use the noob tube with mine :( I need something to clear rooms with since i don't carry grenades (I'm a claymore man). And if I don't have that on, I like to have either extended mags or FMJ.

I believe I'm correct when I say this, but I could be off: technically attachments just introduce idle sway, so you won't notice it while on full auto.

kuYuri

Apparently, Stimulus Package on PSN broke records.

Fourzerotwo said:
Thanks to the 1 Million+ @playstation users who helped the Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package break day 1 & week 1 download records on PSN!

Xux

divisionbyzorro said:
This is true. I mostly use it vanilla except when going for challenges. Although FMJ + stopping power on the AK is freakin' sweet :lol

Not a lot FPS theory talk goin' on in the Black Ops thread so we can probably bend it to be on topic.

The MP lead at Treyarch said that he didn't Commando too much and that the Bayonet was more balanced so people are assuming that means Commando isn't in Black Ops.

I just hope they leave out Martyrdom, Last Stand, Juggernaut, Stopping Power, and Danger Close (or whatever they call it this time).

Xux said:
The MP lead at Treyarch said that he didn't Commando too much and that the Bayonet was more balanced so people are assuming that means Commando isn't in Black Ops.

As much as I hate Commando and want to see it removed, I LOVE Commando Pro. Being able to jump off anything is so much fun and the only reason I even use Commando. I'm torn.

Xux

ThirstyFly said:
As much as I hate Commando and want to see it removed, I LOVE Commando Pro. Being able to jump off anything is so much fun and the only reason I even use Commando. I'm torn.

Yeah, the upgrade mechanic is pretty cool but I'd like to pick and choose those extra perks without the other part attached; Ninja Pro, Scrambler Pro, and Commando Pro are cool by themselves. Then again, I dunno if simply adding more perk slots would be a good choice or not.

I also thought a perk that reduced the effect of enemy special grenades would be cool in MW2 if not a Gas Mask equipment or something.

Woohoo! I just played about 15 FFA's in search of Droppin' Crates and I just succeeded! I equipped Care Package, Sentry and EAD in the hopes that more boxes means more chances at getting that kill and set out to get at least a 5 streak every life so I had as many crates as possible...

Was playing on Skidrow and had a healthy lead of about 600 points. Got to 1450 points and went to that sniper house over by A and tossed a CP, then I waited a bit and tossed the EAD. Then I waited for it to land and started tossing package after package at the closest crate from the EAD. Lo and behold, this greedy bastard was in there, trying to steal everything and as I ducked for cover after tossing the last package, I got the kill and finally scored my title and emblem. :D

Too bad too, in that rain of packages I got a Pavelow, AC-130, Stealth Bomber and like 5 Predators. The victim was probably really disappointed that he fell for my plan! He thought he was scoring some awesome shit only to suddenly die and he was the last kill. Best part? The crate that he died getting was the only UAV in the lot. :lol

I love how you can take down so many guys with a single clip, but damn, does using that thing without a silencer bring attention to yourself.
Like the fucking M4, you can't fire that thing without giving yourself a headache.

I joined a game of demolition on scrapyard yesterday where a tac knifer simply raped the area around the house. He was on 68 for 40 and overtime had barely begun. I sat in the corner by the rocks just to watch for a few moments and seeing this guy teleporting into people everywhere was hilarious.

I suppose this is one way of playing FFA on sub base:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNQlNKg69FU
Personally if I tried this I doubt i'd last more than 3-4 kills. Oh and :lol at the boosters not equipping coldblooded..

aku:jiki said:
Woohoo! I just played about 15 FFA's in search of Droppin' Crates and I just succeeded! I equipped Care Package, Sentry and EAD in the hopes that more boxes means more chances at getting that kill and set out to get at least a 5 streak every life so I had as many crates as possible...

Was playing on Skidrow and had a healthy lead of about 600 points. Got to 1450 points and went to that sniper house over by A and tossed a CP, then I waited a bit and tossed the EAD. Then I waited for it to land and started tossing package after package at the closest crate from the EAD. Lo and behold, this greedy bastard was in there, trying to steal everything and as I ducked for cover after tossing the last package, I got the kill and finally scored my title and emblem. :D

Too bad too, in that rain of packages I got a Pavelow, AC-130, Stealth Bomber and like 5 Predators. The victim was probably really disappointed that he fell for my plan! He thought he was scoring some awesome shit only to suddenly die and he was the last kill. Best part? The crate that he died getting was the only UAV in the lot. :lol

I've gotten Heads Up! but not Droppin' Crates...

I need to go back to FFA and start hunting that challenge again - it's the last GWK challenge I have to do...

ThirstyFly said:

I guess they could just make that a perk in its own right, or make it the Ninja pro ability?

aku:jiki that sounds so funny, the guy you killed must have been pissed. :lol

SUPREME1

Banned
Had a nice couple of matches last night after the Lakers game (woo-hoo!).

I only recently started using the RPD, after finally getting 1,000 kills with the AUG HBAR, and so it's been a nice re-introduction to the weapon (having not used it since CoD4).

At first I wasn't really feeling it... I was comparing it to teh AUG HBAR and the accuracy was a bit frutrating. Eventually I unlocked the red dot site and started rocking a combo red dot/grip load out... and everythign started feeling better.

I started to adapt to the weapon and began getting back up in the top 1/3 at the end of games. So, after the game last night I started up MW2 and decided to get in a few matches.

One of the better matches I had on free for all, I was up to about 23 kills and 7 deaths or so and just trying to maintain the momentum... I noticed some dude was at 26 kills and like 15 deaths and figured I would finish in second or third... I was already on a bit of a kill streak and was content to ride out the last two minutes or so in the building and try and not get killed.

Well, before you know it a couple of dudes came rushing thru and I nailed them, which brought me to a chopper gunner... I quickly launched and racked up a quick 3 or 4 kills which ended the game. The dude that was ahead was stuck at 28 and I guess I just passed him at the end.

I unlocked an emblem and title, teh first time I'd won a match with a chopper gunner and so I got credit for getting a match winning kill cam from a chopper gunner.

Yeah, tha twas cool. It had been a whiel too since I'd won a game. I haven't been on much the last few weeks and when I was, I waould just BS and break even or have decent games and come in second or third or whartever.

I was pumped and felt competetive again.

Ovid

ThirstyFly said:
I've been using it almost exclusively for a few weeks now. I love how you can take down so many guys with a single clip, but damn, does using that thing without a silencer bring attention to yourself.

I use Holo sights on my AK. You know what...honestly, it really depends on how good I am that particular day. If my aim is really bad I use the Holo sights. If I'm playing really good and I'm in the zone (you guys know what I'm talking about) I go without sights and use FMJ or a Silencer with Stopping Power.

My primary weapon on the 360 is the AK. I never prestiged on the 360 because the AK is so ill. On the PS3 my primary weapon is the SCAR-H.

I'm moving over to the M4 for a bit on the 360 to complete the 250 headshot challege so I can get the Fall M4 (something I've have hardly ever seen).

ImperialConquest said:
Had a nice couple of matches last night after the Lakers game (woo-hoo!).

I only recently started using the RPD, after finally getting 1,000 kills with the AUG HBAR, and so it's been a nice re-introduction to the weapon (having not used it since CoD4).

At first I wasn't really feeling it... I was comparing it to teh AUG HBAR and the accuracy was a bit frutrating. Eventually I unlocked the red dot site and started rocking a combo red dot/grip load out... and everythign started feeling better.

I started to adapt to the weapon and began getting back up in the top 1/3 at the end of games. So, after the game last night I started up MW2 and decided to get in a few matches.

One of the better matches I had on free for all, I was up to about 23 kills and 7 deaths or so and just trying to maintain the momentum... I noticed some dude was at 26 kills and like 15 deaths and figured I would finish in second or third... I was already on a bit of a kill streak and was content to ride out the last two minutes or so in the building and try and not get killed.

Well, before you know it a couple of dudes came rushing thru and I nailed them, which brought me to a chopper gunner... I quickly launched and racked up a quick 3 or 4 kills which ended the game. The dude that was ahead was stuck at 28 and I guess I just passed him at the end.

I unlocked an emblem and title, teh first time I'd won a match with a chopper gunner and so I got credit for getting a match winning kill cam from a chopper gunner.

Yeah, tha twas cool. It had been a whiel too since I'd won a game. I haven't been on much the last few weeks and when I was, I waould just BS and break even or have decent games and come in second or third or whartever.

I was pumped and felt competetive again.
It's funny, you never ever see people use LMG's. I guess because the assault rifles are so powerful.

Top Bottom