• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Miggytronz

divisionbyzorro said:
So I'm starting to realize why so many people hate this game. I've been watching a lot of CoD4 gameplay videos on Machinima, and I noticed that most of them involved people being pretty mobile with Assault Rifles. So I decided to copy that style while playing MW2.

Holy shit. It was an incredibly frustrating experience.

I got destroyed by everything - including more Commando bullshit in a single evening than I've experienced in the past month combined. This game really seems to want you to play either super-fast or super-flow; a deliberate, flowing pace gets punished - hard. No wonder so many people hate this game - from my outside perspective, it seems that the game actually punishes you for trying to play it like CoD4.

I usually play a pretty slow/camp style with ARs (see Wings of Redemption videos), and it seems to be the only way to do consistently well with an AR. I don't necessarily thing it's a bad thing, but it seems entirely counter to how CoD4 played - has this been other people's experience coming from CoD4?

after playing with my team on MLG Game Battle matches, its seems like the only way people play now to win games are to camp their asses off and to use AR's with 3 round bursts. very very very slow paced games. Personally, it sucks.

Xux

divisionbyzorro said:
So I'm starting to realize why so many people hate this game. I've been watching a lot of CoD4 gameplay videos on Machinima, and I noticed that most of them involved people being pretty mobile with Assault Rifles. So I decided to copy that style while playing MW2.

I got destroyed by everything - including more Commando bullshit in a single evening than I've experienced in the past month combined. This game really seems to want you to play either super-fast or super-flow; a deliberate, flowing pace gets punished - hard. No wonder so many people hate this game - from my outside perspective, it seems that the game actually punishes you for trying to play it like CoD4.

I usually play a pretty slow/camp style with ARs (see Wings of Redemption videos), and it seems to be the only way to do consistently well with an AR. I don't necessarily thing it's a bad thing, but it seems entirely counter to how CoD4 played - has this been other people's experience coming from CoD4?

Well, I played COD4 maybe a month before COD6 came out and did terrible in it. I consider myself/am consider almost decent in this game so I guess this one might suit me better or something. I do feel plenty comfortable with LMGs so I guess the flow of everything is better for me.

I have a friend who was tenth prestige and always at the top of leaderboard and all of that in COD4 and he didn't do anything particularly cheap (then again, I guess something considered "standard" is kinda cheap) and he says he's constantly getting killed all cheap like and there's often terrible lag following him everywhere in COD6. So he just noob-tubes almost exclusively.

USD

I like to think I play somewhat similar to my COD4 style. Running around the periphery of the map, flanking, clearing out the high traffic/camp areas. My OMA style has been pretty successful, and play with about the same level of mobility as in COD4, though a bit less aggressive.

Half of the game is the post-kill meta game. 90% of people will charge right back to where the died or the most likely path of their killer. I do shit like doubling back, delaying, taking detours, etc., to throw people off and punish players for being predictable. Did the same stuff in COD4, and still works like a charm in MW2 (probably even better).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the battle rifles are still the best guns in the game. FAL is god-king. The beautiful love child of the G3 and M14. Semi-auto fire for life.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
fuccccccck

I was absolutely killing it in a match just now. I was 54-4 at the beginning of the third round. Which is by far the best i've ever gone. I'm not as freakish as some of you so this was a one in a million game.Then the host rage quit.

:(

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:

Ah, now you understand some of my rage posts! :lol

It's true, us rushers get bullshitted on constantly. My remedy is to play Demolition. It's nice to play a mode where the spawns don't wildly and randomly move around the whole map (unless you're playing on Bailout or Storm - worst spawns in the game!) and where you can get a feel for the flow of the match very easily at all times. I'm not sure I could go back to Domination if I tried.

I had my own little realization yesterday... I ran with the Intervention on maps where I normally never snipe and even ran around with it and tried to pull off fast scopes, and man, now I understand the sniper complaints from months ago, only they were going about it all wrong. They shouldn't have complained about getting hit markers on their shitty half-scope quickscopes (which shouldn't be kills anyway) - they should've complained about the fact that half of the time when someone's close and you scope in fast, get a scope full of enemy and fire before he does but still don't get even a hit marker. WTF is that crap. I think my running around sniping career died before it was even born because of this.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
aku:jiki said:
Ah, now you understand some of my rage posts! :lol

It's true, us rushers get bullshitted on constantly. My remedy is to play Demolition. It's nice to play a mode where the spawns don't wildly and randomly move around the whole map (unless you're playing on Bailout or Storm - worst spawns in the game!) and where you can get a feel for the flow of the match very easily at all times.

This is why I play CTF sometimes. It's more orderly. I played Demolition for the first time after buying the map pack. Its pretty fun too.

Vagabundo

I've been playing a little of this for the past month or two on the PC. Decent multiplayer, but does anyone know how to get my NAT off strict?

I have upnp setup and it works for other programs, like vuze, but I always get strict on my NAT.

I've tried a few of the tutorials online, but they don't seem to work right. Tried opening the ports.

I've been getting quiet a few host problems recently - since the stimulus package has been released. I dont have the DLC..

Oh wow, I just had the most bullshit death I've ever seen. We were playing on Quarry and two of us were heading up to the shaft from our spawn (in the warehouses). Some dude shoots at us from the back so we turn around...and he's gone. Suddenly the same dude shoots us in the back.

He was behind us, got taken out by PaveLow and got to spawn right behind us! COME ON IW!

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Oh wow, I just had the most bullshit death I've ever seen. We were playing on Quarry and two of us were heading up to the shaft from our spawn (in the warehouses). Some dude shoots at us from the back so we turn around...and he's gone. Suddenly the same dude shoots us in the back.

He was behind us, got taken out by PaveLow and got to spawn right behind us! COME ON IW!

Are you talking about the room in the middle of Quarry with the ladder in it? If so that's a very weird place to spawn. Don't think I've ever seen someone spawn there (presuming you're playing demolition).

Was your team spawn camping or something?

i_am_ben said:
Are you talking about the room in the middle of Quarry with the ladder in it? If so that's a very weird place to spawn. Don't think I've ever seen someone spawn there (presuming you're playing demolition).

The spawn system in this game assumes that you aren't hanging out in your enemy's spawn area. So if you're defending in Quarry Domination, expect some crappy enemy spawns if you're hanging out at the top of the map.

i_am_ben said:

No, I mean the actual quarry part with the machines and all the barrels. We were coming from our spawn in the various warehouses and suddenly the game decided that the enemy should be spawning right next door to our spawn.

On the opposite end of that, if you play Demolition a lot, you will run into quite a few matches where the game will refuse to allow you to spawn close to the site you need to defend. Like, we were playing on Scrapyard earlier and in the final round with the final bomb site being contested, the game just decided that we (defenders) should spawn as far away as possible while the attackers kept spawning right beside the bomb site. It was literally impossible for us to win like that... So boring. I can't believe such experienced FPS coders missed vital aspects like this.

USD

I've always had this weird thing about making sure that I have more headshots than assists and having a headshot/kill ratio of at least 10%. It's not that I try to go for fewer assists (I'm a total flashbanging whore), I've just been going for the head a lot more than I used to. It's hard for me to give up the FAL, I just love the mid-range sniping.

jiien

No, I mean the actual quarry part with the machines and all the barrels. We were coming from our spawn in the various warehouses and suddenly the game decided that the enemy should be spawning right next door to our spawn.

On the opposite end of that, if you play Demolition a lot, you will run into quite a few matches where the game will refuse to allow you to spawn close to the site you need to defend. Like, we were playing on Scrapyard earlier and in the final round with the final bomb site being contested, the game just decided that we (defenders) should spawn as far away as possible while the attackers kept spawning right beside the bomb site. It was literally impossible for us to win like that... So boring. I can't believe such experienced FPS coders missed vital aspects like this.

I almost always run with a Tac Insert on Demolition for that very reason. If I'm coordinating with people, half of us will go with a Tac Insert to keep the constant pressure up (so that at least SOMEONE is there), and the rest will run with Semtexes or something, which are better for that last ditch 'hope I kill the planter' throws. But yeah, if the spawn system wasn't so shitty, we wouldn't have to do that.

And speaking of Storm as you mentioned above, I actually spawned on one side of the truck that's sort of near the mannequin entrance...hard to describe, but basically I saw from my killcam that I got literally a second after I spawned that several guys spawned on the other side of that truck seconds after I did, and one just happened to walk around the other side, right behind me. What the fuck, stupid spawns. I actually really dislike Storm just for its spawns.

kuYuri

Vagabundo said:
I've been playing a little of this for the past month or two on the PC. Decent multiplayer, but does anyone know how to get my NAT off strict?

I have upnp setup and it works for other programs, like vuze, but I always get strict on my NAT.

I've tried a few of the tutorials online, but they don't seem to work right. Tried opening the ports.

I've been getting quiet a few host problems recently - since the stimulus package has been released. I dont have the DLC..

I had this problem too, then I turned off my firewall/virus protection and it was open NAT.

Turn off your firewall and see if that works.

Okay... Ignore my last post. NOW I've experienced the biggest bullshit death I've ever seen in any game. I'm fucking raging! If it was my disc (it's my flatmate's), I would have destroyed that motherfucker by now.

I've been wanting to nuke for like 2 hours of straight gameplay and just couldn't pull it together. I finally get a good chance on Salvage against some unskilled players and campers and run around the bomb sites taking out any would-be defusers with the SPAS. All goes well until their bitch noobtube camper shows up behind some cover and I pull a hail mary shotgun just hoping it gets him before he tubes away - and I pull it off! Headshot! Harriers ready on my mark, woohoo! A CG on Salvage should definitely get me that nuke!

His Martyrdom grenade pops out and I figured I'm fine because he was on the other side of some boxes so I take cover from the blast behind the same bunch of boxes. The motherfucking grenade rolls through the cover he was behind and follows me. I'm dead.

Fuck this game.
I'll be back tomorrow. :(

kuYuri

Okay... Ignore my last post. NOW I've experienced the biggest bullshit death I've ever seen in any game. I'm fucking raging! If it was my disc (it's my flatmate's), I would have destroyed that motherfucker by now.

I've been wanting to nuke for like 2 hours of straight gameplay and just couldn't pull it together. I finally get a good chance on Salvage against some unskilled players and campers and run around the bomb sites taking out any would-be defusers with the SPAS. All goes well until their bitch noobtube camper shows up behind some cover and I pull a hail mary shotgun just hoping it gets him before he tubes away - and I pull it off! Headshot! Harriers ready on my mark, woohoo! A CG on Salvage should definitely get me that nuke!

His Martyrdom grenade pops out and I figured I'm fine because he was on the other side of some boxes so I take cover from the blast behind the same bunch of boxes. The motherfucking grenade rolls through the cover he was behind and follows me. I'm dead.

Fuck this game.
I'll be back tomorrow. :(

You'll definitely start raging if you're chasing nukes. Stop for the sake of your sanity and health.

Strider2K99 said:
You'll definitely start raging if you're chasing nukes. Stop for the sake of your sanity and health.

I've said it before, but the killstreak system in this game changes your perception of success and failure. Killstreaks are supposed to be bonuses, not the goal. In CoD4/W@W, getting a 7 streak was an accomplishment. Doing it 2 or 3 times in a single game was something worthy of posting on the internet.

But now we start our streak bonuses at a 7-streak? No wonder we rage so much. Going 15-7 in a TDM should be a good match, but now we just get mad because we never got our AC-130 or Chopper Gunner.

Aselith

divisionbyzorro said:
I've said it before, but the killstreak system in this game changes your perception of success and failure. Killstreaks are supposed to be bonuses, not the goal. In CoD4/W@W, getting a 7 streak was an accomplishment. Doing it 2 or 3 times in a single game was something worthy of posting on the internet.

But now we start our streak bonuses at a 7-streak? No wonder we rage so much. Going 15-7 in a TDM should be a good match, but now we just get mad because we never got our AC-130 or Chopper Gunner.

Go for a lower tier killstreak? If you are doing Harrier, Chopper Gunner, Nuke, those are the most powerful killstreaks in the game. Why should they not be hard to get? It is an accomplishment when you get them because they are difficult to achieve. Killstreaks are not the goal, they are the means to the goal (high k/d ratio.) You are chasing titles that's why killstreaks are the goal FOR YOU.

Nizz

Strider2K99 said:
My sanity and health are already pushed to the limits without chasing nukes. I ever decide to chase them and I'd probably eject the disc, put it in the case, throw it on the driveway, and run over it with my car. :lol

Aselith said:
Go for a lower tier killstreak? If you are doing Harrier, Chopper Gunner, Nuke, those are the most powerful killstreaks in the game. Why should they not be hard to get? It is an accomplishment when you get them because they are difficult to achieve. Killstreaks are not the goal, they are the means to the goal (high k/d ratio.) You are chasing titles that's why killstreaks are the goal FOR YOU.

You say that, but the implication is that you're a lesser player because you're settling for lower bonuses. I realize that this isn't the case, but for the average player, that's the message that's being sent.

Kibbles said:
I heard they are resetting the ranks, is this true?

They're looking for a way to reset the rank of people who've glitched their way up the ranks. That's it.

USD

I always underestimate the UMP. Sure it's got more recoil, but at range it does more damage than some of the assault rifles, and that's with no need for Stopping Power.

I learned a long time ago that playing HC solved a fair few of the game's problems, including the fact that Commando becomes borderline useless.

divisionbyzorro said:
They're looking for a way to reset the rank of people who've glitched their way up the ranks. That's it.

Honestly they just have to look up the top players on the leaderboard and just ban them all. They all have the same score. Why dont they do that?

I'm starting to understand why SeaNanners always plays FFA. There's a lot less bullshit deaths in that game type; or at least, it's controllable enough to where it doesn't happen that often. Since enemies only come at you one at a time, encounters are easier to manage, and you really can force people to play the game you want them to play (either that or avoid you altogether). It's a lot easier to get good, solid scores in FFA if you play cautiously and deliberately (that said, with a ceiling of 30 kills, you'll never get a DAAAAAAAAMN game like Aku's 100+ kill game).

I managed to finish my session tonight with a great FFA match; I ended 30-6 using a silenced SCAR with Hardline; Pred/Harrier/Pave Low. And I did my favorite thing ever to do in the game-winning killcam: find a camper and plant a claymore on their ass. :lol

divisionbyzorro said:

Good, they should have done this months ago when people first started all the emblem/ level glitches.

zam

Kibbles said:
I heard they are resetting the ranks, is this true?
Sounds extremely unlikely, and wouldn't see the point in it. Maybe if the would reset the truskill ranks but your actual level? Your level and truskill are completely separate, I've been matched against lvl 70s on 10th prestige when I was on 1st prestige and they played terrible. The only way I see it happening is if they reset the levels of the people who have hacked a 10th prestige.

Edit: Oh I see, they are going to reset the people who hacked their levels, I approve of this.

divisionbyzorro said:
You say that, but the implication is that you're a lesser player because you're settling for lower bonuses. I realize that this isn't the case, but for the average player, that's the message that's being sent.
I've been using Sentry/Harrier/Pave Low recently for the prestige challenges, and I'm really liking it, I can still rack up as many kills as I would get with a chopper gunner if I get a good Pave Low, and finding sweet spots to put sentries in Demoltion can rack up up to 10 kills, best spot so far is on top of the helipad facing the enemy spawn on Highrise (demolition ofc), so awesome to watch it go crazy as they keep pouring out and getting cut down. What are they expecting? That next time it will miss? Switch to cold-blooded or go through the basement fools!

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm starting to understand why SeaNanners always plays FFA. There's a lot less bullshit deaths in that game type; or at least, it's controllable enough to where it doesn't happen that often. Since enemies only come at you one at a time, encounters are easier to manage, and you really can force people to play the game you want them to play (either that or avoid you altogether). It's a lot easier to get good, solid scores in FFA if you play cautiously and deliberately (that said, with a ceiling of 30 kills, you'll never get a DAAAAAAAAMN game like Aku's 100+ kill game).

I managed to finish my session tonight with a great FFA match; I ended 30-6 using a silenced SCAR with Hardline; Pred/Harrier/Pave Low. And I did my favorite thing ever to do in the game-winning killcam: find a camper and plant a claymore on their ass. :lol
I disagree, FFA has one of the worst spawn systems,, this is just from personal experience, but every FFA game I play I get bullshit spawns with the guy I just killed spawning 5 meters away from me, many times behind me, I've even spawned right infront of a dude with my back to him (was a friend of mine when we were playing Mosh Pit and he was "Cool! Free knife kill!"). I don't want to be punished for killing someone by having them respawn with full health a couple meters away and get an easy revenge kill.

Not to mention last time I played FFA all I ran into was games full of only campers.

My favorite gametype and the one I play the most is demolition, where you can play deliberate like you said and do well, and not be killed by bullshit spawns (unless you are in the middle of their spawn, in which case you can only blame yourself). Campers can only do so well one of the rounds and that's on defense, and can still be easily destroyed by a well coordinated team. Second favorite is HQ, because the moving HQ discourages campers (for the most part) but there is a measure of spawn bullshittery going there as well.

Aselith

divisionbyzorro said:

Well, you are a lesser player than those who can get those streaks all the time so that would be true. But really what you're doing is deciding between higher percentage bonuses versus lower percentage. If you can always get those low percentage streaks then you should go for those. But if you're willing to take the lower tier streaks you will help your team a lot. UAV and CUAV are super useful and sentry guns are great for holding territory. You won't get those big eyepopping achievements like the nuke and chopper gunner but you'll get them a couple of times per round at least and be a big asset to your team.

And it's not like you're decided on it. When you start getting 7 kills pretty easily you can just switch over to the other killstreaks. Really the killstreak selection makes you notice where you are as a player and really take a look at how you're doing.

Dresden

Eh, once I got ten nukes I switched over to UAV, care package, and sentry gun. My kill total is nowhere near what it used to go up to, but it's more fun. Especially since sentry gun kills are weirdly satisfying.

USD said:
Eh, the machine pistols are practically SMGs.
And all of them, except the TMP, are better than all the SMGs, except the UMP. :lol

True pistol only play is really fun and satisfying though. Nothing better than getting a double with just a USP. Owned! :D

Gave the game another chance and got that nuke I wanted after like 2 games. :p Got it on Karachi where the same three guys would just get killed by my CG, stop right where they spawned and shoot at me with their LMGs without moving or putting on ColdBlooded, over and over. Thanks dudes. :lol

USD

So after exactly 1000 matches, here's what my stats look like.

Time played: 4d 12h 57m

Wins: 558 (1.27 Win ratio)
Losses: 440
Ties: 2

Kills: 12709 (1.54 K/D)
Deaths 8261
Headshots: 1322
Assists: 1203

Longest kill streak: 29
Accuracy: 23.15%

Highest Accolades:
Killed entire team: 376
Longest distance traveled: 244
Most flashbang hits: 237
Most time spent sprinting: 236
Most AR headshots: 218

3 Nukes (All with in the last week too)

USD

Violater said:
Loving the Fal, that is all.
Greatest gun in the game. I just went on a headshot rampage, 8 kills in a row, all headshots. Also got the 2 headshots, 1 bullet challenge. Glorious.

USD

divisionbyzorro said:
Regular or hardcore?
Regular. Haven't played hardcore at all in MW2. On a side note, I wish there was a full-health hardcore mode, I'd play that.

EDIT: I got some awesome bullet pentration punishes today. Killed one guy through a wall off a UAV, and took out a camper through a wall in the mansion on Estate.

The last one was the best. Using SitRep, I saw a claymore through a wall, so I tried shooting it, and turned to move on. To my surprise, I get a hit marker. I turn back, keep shooting, and detonated the claymore, taking the guy out with it. Got the "How the ?" challenge. :lol

I'm going to bitch about it here - I hate the new "official thread" designation! :( Looks trashy.

And to stay on topic: the TMP has to be the single worst gun in the game. Hands down. Anyone disagree?

So I'm curious: would there be value in starting a new thread for discussing where the Call of Duty franchise needs to go next? I'd like to hear people's opinions on which direction the franchise should take, since it's currently the most valuable video game franchise on the market and yet stands the most chance of being . But I didn't know if that sort of discussion belonged in this thread, especially since it will likely include a lot of Black Ops discussion. Although I'm not sure people could stay civil in a thread dedicated to that sort of discussion. :lol

I dunno - should I start such a thread? Or just stay way?

zam

Daaaamn, got so close to breaking 100 kills. Demolition on Karachi, went 83-6 with RPD with grip, Marathon, Stopping Power and Nina Pro. Raffica as secondary but never used it. Killstreak was Sentry/Harrier/Pave Low. First round I put a sentry up on the bombed out satellite dish roof looking down to where they would spawn and run towards B. After the 2nd round I was 43-3 and I thought it was over but I forgot they managed to win the first round, so that round I managed to get Crab Meat (kill 10 players with a single killstreak) and Omnicide. My harrier, sentry and pave low were wrecking them cause noone had cold-blooded or thought to shoot my stuff down :D

ZZMitch

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm going to bitch about it here - I hate the new "official thread" designation! :( Looks trashy.

And to stay on topic: the TMP has to be the single worst gun in the game. Hands down. Anyone disagree?
I think the F200 is worse.

kuYuri

divisionbyzorro said:
So I'm curious: would there be value in starting a new thread for discussing where the Call of Duty franchise needs to go next? I'd like to hear people's opinions on which direction the franchise should take, since it's currently the most valuable video game franchise on the market and yet stands the most chance of being . But I didn't know if that sort of discussion belonged in this thread, especially since it will likely include a lot of Black Ops discussion. Although I'm not sure people could stay civil in a thread dedicated to that sort of discussion. :lol

I dunno - should I start such a thread? Or just stay way?

You can discuss it here if you want, but to get the most amount if discussion it would have to be a new thread.

And then you have to wade through a ton of troll/joke posts to get to the real meat of the discussion. Activision's reputation really isn't helping any discussion of the franchise.

NIN90

Whoever designed the grenade launcher in this game should be shot in the back of their head.

Big ass radius, starting out with 2 rounds, quick reload animation (where a large portion can be skipped thus shortening the animation even more).
And the best of all? There's not even a penalty for using it at close range. :lol
No, even better. You score a "funny" kill when you manage to hit an enemy with the dud.

Strider2K99 said:
You can discuss it here if you want, but to get the most amount if discussion it would have to be a new thread.

And then you have to wade through a ton of troll/joke posts to get to the real meat of the discussion. Activision's reputation really isn't helping any discussion of the franchise.

Those were my thoughts exactly. I think there is good discussion to be had on the subject though. Maybe I'll wait until we start hearing a little more about Black Ops and the discussion becomes a little more relevant.

Top Bottom