• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Today I completed the campaign in 5:20:XX. I think that is incredibly short for a game that is £5 extra than normal. Also I thought the campaign lacked the "wow" moments I might have been expecting. Uncharted 2's single player wins this year!

I played 2 free-for-all games and they were very fun. However it took me FOREVER to match up to people I could play with, and free-for-all was the only playlist that I could get into, even if I did have to wait 10 minutes for 1 match.

I also played the first 2 spec-ops missions. I played them in split screen and they are fantastic addition I was not expecting. I'll be trying to get 3 stars in all of them, and there are loads!

So far from what I've played, the single player is a huge dissapointment, and the other modes seem fun but I haven't played much at all yet.

LifEndz

Seems like almost everyone is butthurt over the whole lack of dedicated servers for the PC. And I never saw so much hate for the game as I do in certain forums. Yeah it's noob friendly and yeah it has more sticky than most games but it's still an amazing game.

I'm going to knock out some evidence homework and then I'm going to get started on the single player campaign.

PSN: Lifendz

Rikyfree

I like the strawberry jam when you get hit. It's a revolution in gaming. I always wondered what magically healed these people when no medicine is around. Now I know. It's the magical jam that comes out from the bullet after impact. Simply incredible. All this violence has made me hungry for a pb & j!

ultron87

BrassMonkey1010 said:
Me neither...And the kick in the balls is, my cousin ordered it last night with the release day shipping and his shipped out at 8:45 am this morning. I live 1 min from him.

I've never had a problem with Release Date Delivery. And a few times my order hasn't been listed as "Shipped" until like 7 pm on the day before delivery, or possibly even later. I wouldn't really panic unless it still hasn't shipped by tomorrow.

Blu_LED said:
So the nuke kills everyone on the battlefield? Your team included?

It doesn't matter, cause it instantly wins the game for your team.

Though from the videos it doesn't look like it registers as a death against you, if it's the k/d ratio you're worried about.

xray49er

ashbash159 said:
Today I completed the campaign in 5:20:XX. I think that is incredibly short for a game that is £5 extra than normal. Also I thought the campaign lacked the "wow" moments I might have been expecting. Uncharted 2's single player wins this year!

I played 2 free-for-all games and they were very fun. However it took me FOREVER to match up to people I could play with, and free-for-all was the only playlist that I could get into, even if I did have to wait 10 minutes for 1 match.

I also played the first 2 spec-ops missions. I played them in split screen and they are fantastic addition I was not expecting. I'll be trying to get 3 stars in all of them, and there are loads!

So far from what I've played, the single player is a huge dissapointment, and the other modes seem fun but I haven't played much at all yet.

I dont mind the game being that short. I work two jobs and have a newborn son so my playing time has been drastically cut short. I had to schedule time to beat uncharted and that game felt too long to me. but hey i was waking up two hours earlier and going to bed two hours later to finish it. Anyway i hope i can get throught this game in 6 hours i Have Tuesday and wednesday off from my second job so these are going to be the only time i have with the single player.

ultron87

Absoludacrous said:

Though from the videos it doesn't look like it registers as a death against you, if it's the k/d ratio you're worried about.

And it wins the game even if you aren't playing a deathmatch variation, right?

Ugh, so stupid.

Absoludacrous said:

Dude seriously? It ends the whole match? I know it takes a lot to get to a 25 kill streak, but what the fuck?

hulot

ashbash159 said:
I have 12 hours clocked in SP. First playthrough on Veteran....

Game is probably the easiest COD yet. No more grenade spam.

IronFistedChampion said:
I know I'm probably late on this but was the avalanche sequence that was shown at E3 09 really cut from the final game?
Unless it shows up in Special Ops, there's no Avalanche sequence when I played through it.

I like the strawberry jam when you get hit. It's a revolution in gaming. I always wondered what magically healed these people when no medicine is around. Not I know. It's the magical jam that comes out from the bullet after impact. Simply incredible. All this violence has made me hungry for a pb&j!

I'm in the same boat. Like I mentioned earlier, it forces you to play safer versus run and gun. I mean really, if you're getting hit by a gat from a helicopter, I don't expect you to stand ground and blast away with accuracy. :lol

Chaplain

ashbash159 said:

I have been playing the single player game for a few days now and it is a chore to play compared to Uncharted 2. The story in Uncharted 2 is woven into the fabric of the game in such an unparalleled manner compared to MW2. MW2 feels dated and I hope IW’s next game features a redone single player game.

What MW2 has is that it blows every other game out of the water in the multiplayer department. It is extremely polished. Every other developer will be copying it for a bit of time.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Dabanton said:
People still trust Amazon to actually get the game to them on release day?:lol

My lack of trust is with the delivery services. I'm not going to be astonished if this thing isn't here tomorrow.

Beowulf28

Anyone know if stats are being wiped on the PS3? It won't be fair for everyone who got the game early to have a head start over us who are getting it tomorrow.

For those that beat the game already...

Was Shephard's reasoning for attempting to eliminate 141 after retrieving Makarov's intel was because of the convenience to essentially place the blame on Price's nuclear missile launch? And did Price just shoot off the nuke because he was loopy and wanted to start the chain of events leading to the endgame (not related to Shephard's plan)?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Game Analyst said:
I have been playing the single player game for a few days now and it is a chore to play compared to Uncharted 2. The story in Uncharted 2 is woven into the fabric of the game in such an unparalleled manner compared to MW2. MW2 feels dated and I hope IW’s next game features a redone single player game.

What MW2 has is that it blows every other game out of the water in the multiplayer department. It is extremely polished. Every other developer will be copying it for a bit of time.

I more-or-less agree completely. MW2 isn't bad, but it def. feels dated. Hopefully IW has enough juice to actually break some new ground with MW3.

Was Shephard's reasoning for attempting to eliminate 141 after retrieving Makarov's intel was because of the convenience to essentially place the blame on Price's nuclear missile launch? And did Price just shoot off the nuke because he was loopy and wanted to start the chain of events leading to the endgame (not related to Shephard's plan)?

My understanding was that Shepherd was just trying to kill off everyone that knew about his evil plan (ie 141). Several of the late between-mission voiceovers reference this - about how Shepherd will be able to pull off "the biggest lie of all" or something similar, if Price and the others are eliminated and can't get the truth out.

As for Price setting off the nuke, I don't have that one figured out yet, myself. It seems like he probably PLANNED for it to detonate in the atmosphere, thereby setting off an EMP that would ground all the russian air support invading the US?

Another possibility is that he was trying to make it look like the russians nuked the East Coast, getting public support back on the US's side. Just like the russians made it look like it was the US that shot up the airport.

khayri1

Neo Member
Mooreberg said:
My lack of trust is with the delivery services. I'm not going to be astonished if this thing isn't here tomorrow.

I received Uncharted 2 on release day from Amazon. And I expect my MW2 to be here tomorrow as well.

One of the main problems i found with the campaign is that this game is starting to have too much scripting. After playing games like Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2 it was strange to play again a game with almost non AI driven gameplay parts.

But to be fair the game has the best shooting feeling in the market and IMHO is what makes it so addictive in the end. That is what Resistance 2 laked so much...

Is anyone hitting up the mid night release at Game Stop in Richmond Virginia? All my friends have to work tomorrow so I'm probably going alone tonight. I heard they were having a Army tournament around 8pm, but I 'll just wait till 11 and show up.

StylusX

MarkMclovin said:
So did anyone pre order from GAME in the UK?

I'd like to know if the game was shipped to you on time due to the 'upgrade' to courier.

Yep, I pre ordered from GAME got it at 9am this morning :D

Blu_LED said:
Dude seriously? It ends the whole match? I know it takes a lot to get to a 25 kill streak, but what the fuck?
Agreed. Check your friends list in COD4 and, depending on your friends, 75% of them probably have a kill streak that would've ended a match. Whatever. I knew MW2 was going to be a frat boy game. The video game equivalent of Jackass. The stupid jock of video games.

It had better fucking ROCK! :lol

ultron87 said:
And it wins the game even if you aren't playing a deathmatch variation, right?

Ugh, so stupid.

I don't think there's been any proof that it automatically wins the game. It just automatically ends it. Theoretically if someone on a losing team were to use a nuke their team would still lose.

TheyCallMeMoney said:
Is anyone hitting up the mid night release at Game Stop in Richmond Virginia? All my friends have to work tomorrow so I'm probably going alone tonight. I heard they were having a Army tournament around 8pm, but I 'll just wait till 11 and show up.

I'm going to the gamestop on Broad St. I'm prolly Rollin up at 11:30pm.

-PXG-

Someone should make a meta gamertag. I would, but not near my 360 to do so. Make sure to keep it GAF members only.

johnFkennedy said:
I don't think there's been any proof that it automatically wins the game. It just automatically ends it. Theoretically if someone on a losing team were to use a nuke their team would still lose.

I have never seen anyone use a nuke on the losing team. I think that's kinda the point, it's sort of a mercy rule.

And yea, people on my COD4 list could have used it, but probably once in their whole career. It's not like they were racking that up every other game.

I don't know, I don't want to defend it, cause it could very well end up being a bad design decision, but I think everyone is being premature coming out against it when they haven't even been exposed to it yet.

johnFkennedy said:

Actually, an opponent used it on my team last night in Headquarters and they were down 140-70 or so and once he activated the nuke, it indicated that our team lost.

GDJustin said:
I more-or-less agree completely. MW2 isn't bad, but it def. feels dated. Hopefully IW has enough juice to actually break some new ground with MW3.

My understanding was that Shepherd was just trying to kill off everyone that knew about his evil plan (ie 141). Several of the late between-mission voiceovers reference this - about how Shepherd will be able to pull off "the biggest lie of all" or something similar, if Price and the others are eliminated and can't get the truth out.

As for Price setting off the nuke, I don't have that one figured out yet, myself. It seems like he probably PLANNED for it to detonate in the atmosphere, thereby setting off an EMP that would ground all the russian air support invading the US?

Another possibility is that he was trying to make it look like the russians nuked the East Coast, getting public support back on the US's side. Just like the russians made it look like it was the US that shot up the airport.
I figured that much with Price and the nuke, your latter explanation anyway. It just seems like the whole Shephard fiasco seems rather contrived. I R war monger, super patriot, justification for the past, etc. I understand IW was trying to paint the whole situation gray, but I think they did a mediocre job on that particular point. Oh well, there's always part 3 right?

Also, I wasn't expecting Shephard to bust out on Soap like that in the end. That was a pretty cool twist.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Nukes simply won't happen very often at all. If one out of every 20 games (and that's a very generous percentage) ends earlier than the predetermined end time thanks to a nuke... so what?

1) GETTING 25 kills takes a good chunk of time to begin with. So it's not like the match will end 2 minutes in.
2) If someone on the opposing team has a 25 kill streak, odds are strongly in favor of them being way up. In which case setting off the nuke is like a mercy kill.
3) I've played 8 hours of MP and haven't encountered one.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
djblackice said:
Actually, an opponent used it on my team last night in Headquarters and they were down 140-70 or so and once he activated the nuke, it indicated that our team lost.

Wow. I can really see Objective being littered with campers going for kills instead now. It's already bad enough how many do it, but now they get rewarded.

mujahidmd

Neo Member
I got a shipping notifcation from Amazon they ship from Deleware i live in Maryland 2 hours away from DE :D
Also when does the embargo end on the game? When should reviews come out?

winnarps

DeuceMojo said:
Agreed. Check your friends list in COD4 and, depending on your friends, 75% of them probably have a kill streak that would've ended a match. Whatever. I knew MW2 was going to be a frat boy game. The video game equivalent of Jackass. The stupid jock of video games.

It had better fucking ROCK! :lol

Tots gonna be gunnin' down noobs with mah popped collars and flip flops yo.

djblackice said:

Wow that sucks man, seems like more and more nuke stories are popping up.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
amstradcpc said:
One of the main problems i found with the campaign is that this game is starting to have too much scripting.

Starting to...? It's the series' staple.

Has this happened to anyone:

Throw a grenade (single player) and hit an enemy in the head and they stumble. I was really high, but I know I saw it happen. Cool little touch that may or may not have been there in COD4/5 that I never noticed before.

fraaap

Neo Member
My copy arrived this morning, it's such a great game. Still getting used to how MP works now.

Does anyone know which maps specific modes use? I would have thought that Rust would be amazing for HQ, but I haven't seen it so far.

venom2124

The thing to remember about the nuke killstreak is that it has to be equipped. I'm probably going to use it once or twice, then switch to a setup that allows for longer killstreaks. Might go with predator missile, pave low, and chopper gunner for maximum kills instead of just ending the game. I really think the novelty of calling a nuke will wear off quickly and more players will go with a setup like I mentioned.

Spydy

Banned
According to Eurogamer.de (translated):

The console comparison, the PS3 version looks a bit smarter, but the framerate suffers in action in many scenes hiccups.

Not sure whether I want smooth frame-rate or all-round better looking graphics. Lucky me I double-dipped for PS3 and 360. Good Times.

Should have mine in around 1 hour at the GAME midnight opening.

Top Bottom