• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Pctx said:
If you want to talk about performance then you should be talking about the PC version. The consoles performance is negligible.
The comparisons are for console gamers indecisive about which version to choose. Presumably, anyone with a modern gaming rig wouldnt be conflicted at all in their decision, they'd play it at 120 fps in 1080p.

Ok, Single Player complete, ive gone through the entire damn thing in 1 sitting since my last post :lol What a ride.......

Theyve completely gone tits mental with the story, its like a thoroughly enjoyable season of 24 :lol

There are some absolutely spectactular moments, and a bit that will make everyone shout with glee :D

How long did it take me ? 4 hours 30 minutes pretty much bang on, i did sort of play to the pace of the game (PUSH FORWARD). I havent touched spec ops yet or multiplayer, and then theres all the Steam achievements left to get.

Better than MW1 ? I would say not quite, simply because MW1 had a couple of absolutely brilliant parts such as All Ghillied Up, but the stuff they do is still above and beyond what everyone else does (exception being Uncharted 2).

Fucking hell i need some sleep, but i cant as i promised my army buddy il pick him up a cheap copy from Sainsburys at 7am :lol Hell ive even got a cold thats fucking with my head.

Graphics looked about the same as MW1 but with some neat new effects, and 1 level just looks absolutely mind blowing. Pretty sure the PC has some higher resolution textures, especially with the characters models, they look pretty much as good as Crysis. My system ran the game at pretty much 60+ FPS solid throughout the most of it, with drops in only the most intensive of scenes (Q6600, 4GB DDR2, 5770 1GB).

Now i get to try out the all new IWNet stuff, should be "interesting".....

Anyway, heres a screenshot from the training level for those interested -

2ajpcpc.jpg

Right, time to chill a bit, get some painkillers down me and then crack on with multiplayer :D

Ugh, wondering if it's even worth me going to Best Buy later of it's just going to be too nightmarish. When I was there a few days ago they didn't even have any pre-order cards left.

-PXG-

Rez said:
disgusting != objectionable

I thought it was powerful. I'm not quite sure what they were trying to say, though.

And also,
calling it 'just a video game' is belittling for the whole medium. Don't do that.

I don't know. I guess I'm pretty desensitized. Just because I don't think it's deep, doesn't mean I think it's mindless, dumb or doesn't contain SOME level of substance. I wouldn't compare this to MGS, Legacy Kain or Final Fantasy, in terms of story and writing (some may disagree with MGS...). Then again, I haven't played MW2's SP yet. I plan on doing that tomorrow :) So, at least for now, your opinion is more valid than mine.

But the whole "it's just a video game" thing is a blessing in disguise. If too many people elevated it's status, you would also have a group of people saying how pervasive and influential they are too. The last thing we need are a bunch of wackos on Fox News talking about how this game, and others like it, are evil. So in a way, its good that games have a low profile. The fewer people that know about them, the likely hood of some idiot blowing shit out of proportion is decreased.

Trust me, I love video games. Games CAN be expressive and can be artistic. I would love it, if everyone would take them seriously. Alas, there are just too many ignorant people out there, who are just too dense to understand.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I've never done a midnight release guys. Can you show up at gamestop at like 12:15 and still get your game or do they pretty much close once the line is gone? Can anyone give me some details on what to expect? Do I have to go get in line early? Should I wait for tomorrow if I don't wanna have a huge affair made out of it?

I appreciate any advice you all can give me. :)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
whytemyke said:
I've never done a midnight release guys. Can you show up at gamestop at like 12:15 and still get your game or do they pretty much close once the line is gone? Can anyone give me some details on what to expect? Do I have to go get in line early? Should I wait for tomorrow if I don't wanna have a huge affair made out of it?

Probably could show up half an hour late, and there would still be a line. I was with my friends for Halo 2, and I did GTAIV alone.

Anyways, I had to stop by mine since I need a book and condoms. Gamestop is in the middle and about 2 and a half hours before 12. Already got a good 30-40 people out there. With free Red Bull(I took 3) while having to walk back and forth. Also got asked if I was a girl or guy, and called a F**. :lol

Stratman

Neo Member
Well, I've got my copy. Having played the controversial terrorist chapter, I'm still unsure of what emotion it is supposed to illicit, besides discomfort of course. Maybe it will become clear as the campaign progresses?

Multiplayer is sweet, it's got that same tight as a drum feel only tighter and more feature rich.

tHoMNZ

Ogs said:
Ok, Single Player complete, ive gone through the entire damn thing in 1 sitting since my last post :lol What a ride.......

Theyve completely gone tits mental with the story, its like a thoroughly enjoyable season of 24 :lol

There are some absolutely spectactular moments, and a bit that will make everyone shout with glee :D

How long did it take me ? 4 hours 30 minutes pretty much bang on, i did sort of play to the pace of the game (PUSH FORWARD). I havent touched spec ops yet or multiplayer, and then theres all the Steam achievements left to get.

Better than MW1 ? I would say not quite, simply because MW1 had a couple of absolutely brilliant parts such as All Ghillied Up, but the stuff they do is still above and beyond what everyone else does (exception being Uncharted 2).

Fucking hell i need some sleep, but i cant as i promised my army buddy il pick him up a cheap copy from Sainsburys at 7am :lol Hell ive even got a cold thats fucking with my head.

Graphics looked about the same as MW1 but with some neat new effects, and 1 level just looks absolutely mind blowing. Pretty sure the PC has some higher resolution textures, especially with the characters models, they look pretty much as good as Crysis. My system ran the game at pretty much 60+ FPS solid throughout the most of it, with drops in only the most intensive of scenes (Q6600, 4GB DDR2, 5770 1GB).

Now i get to try out the all new IWNet stuff, should be "interesting".....

Anyway, heres a screenshot from the training level for those interested -

2ajpcpc.jpg

Right, time to chill a bit, get some painkillers down me and then crack on with multiplayer :D

At least the game is balanced for print screen

-PXG-

Meta tag is made. PM me your gamertags and I will add you to the friend's list.

If I don't add you tonight, don't fret, I will add you in the morning. No one will be left behind. Once the list is full, I will inform someone else to make another tag.

whytemyke said:

If you can, show up before midnight or midnight on the dot. What I hated most about midnight launches was the jackass (who called earlier to verify) who would come at like 12:30 or 12:45, after everyone else had left. By then (at least at my store), the registers are closed, we're cleaning up and counting the deposit.

Reason why? If you do it for one person, you're going to have to do it for everyone. Plus, they (the customer) are going to think they can get away with it over and over again. We would always let people know when to show up and an estimated time when we would be done.

For those that have beat the game (if you haven't, for the love of god, do not highlight):

I don't quite understand Shepherd's reason for attempting to take us out.
At first I thought it may have been due to Price's nuclear launch, but he detonated it in the atmosphere to create an EMP, and essentially saves our ass in the States.
When he kills Roach, he says something along the lines of "tying up loose ends"... the only thing I can think of is that his squad knew about the whole Airport incident and that's why he wanted to take them out.
...so basically, he sacrificed his entire team just to save face and not have to answer to his executive role in No Russian. Am I right or did I miss something?

EDIT: And I'm fairly sure that the Campaign timer in the Stats screen is cumulative, because it says I have 15 hours in Campaign... I'm 40000% sure it didn't take me that long. Maybe 10 at most, but I played through a chapter several times because I was trying to get the trophy (fucking bug).

4 and a half hours, that's.......not good.

The facial models seem to have improved quite a bit but the rest looks to be the same old COD fare.

Ecto311

whytemyke said:

The line gone at 12:15? Halo 3 and Halo 2 took forever to get the line down. I was in the middle of both lines and it took forever. I left around 1:00am both times. I would get there a tad early or just go tomorrow. In all the times I went, I just stood in line with my wife until it started to move and listened to all ignorant stories from others in line. Others bragging or making up shit to impress others that were there for their kids. It sucks as you get older and that's the reason I went to amazon and will go to amazon for all my recent games to come out.

The Chef

Ogs said:

Thanks for the impressions.

Man I'm starting to feel like my lax attitude on preordering this game is going to bite me in the ass after all. Im always confident that I can find a game release day no matter what but damn its sounding kinda crazy. :lol

Whats my chance of just walking in store tomorrow and picking up a copy? I've never preordered a game and I've never failed to get a game day 1. But all these 900 preorder anecdotes are scaring me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:
4 and a half hours, that's.......not good.

The facial models seem to have improved quite a bit but the rest looks to be the same old COD fare.
it's an IW single player campaign. in all fairness, you should know what you're getting into at this point. ;)

Proc

fuck it, I'm going ps3 and seeing if my local walmart is doing a midnight launch. what the fuck is wrong with me?

gibration said:
Is anyone making a GAF chat on PSN?

I can tell you I am not, so if I receive any messages about people asking me to invite them to the chatroom, I will kill people. :lol :lol :lol

People always say come to me, but the only two chat rooms I've created are Fat Princess, and Uncharted 2.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
-PXG- said:
If you can, show up before midnight or midnight on the dot. What I hated most about midnight launches was the jackass (who called earlier to verify) who would come at like 12:30 or 12:45, after everyone else had left. By then (at least at my store), the registers are closed, we're cleaning up and counting the deposit.

Reason why? If you do it for one person, you're going to have to do it for everyone. Plus, they (the customer) are going to think they can get away with it over and over again. We would always let people know when to show up and an estimated time when we would be done.

Ok. Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.

I'm thinking that since I preordered I may just wait til the AM to go get it. It's lame but I've been up forever today and I don't think I'd get thru much of the game tonight anyways. I'm not as young as some of you guys on here, haha. I'm just really worried about them selling my pre-order out from underneath me. Oh well.

Shintoki-- thanks for your input as well. Sorry you got called that, too... gotta be careful around those Redbull giveaways!

I'm going to preorder this game tonight and pick it up at Best buy tomorrow. i want to press my luck and hope to snag someone's Prestige Edition game :lol.
With 3 sku I'm bound to get something other than Regular Edition.

-PXG-

FromTheFuture said:
Whats my chance of just walking in store tomorrow and picking up a copy? I've never preordered a game and I've never failed to get a game day 1. But all these 900 preorder anecdotes are scaring me.

Guaranteed a copy. You shouldn't have a problem....unless....

Wanna know a secret?

I never did this, because I knew it was wrong, and I just felt bad. Corporate gives us shit about our numbers. How many pre-orders, Edge card subscriptions, used games we've sold, ect. Because of that, employees push that stuff, so they can keep the higher ups off their asses. Anyway, some employees refused to sell a game, to a customer who was reluctant to pre-order a game, that they were, 100%, going to buy the first day. They would claim the store was sold out and awaiting another shipment.

Yeah, it's shitty and bad. But (and I am not condoning it), it sucks when customers, who plan on coming to the same store, day one, for that game, don't pre-order. There shouldn't be any reason why they can't plunk down $5 towards their game. Plus, most games come with little "gifts". Yeah....some customers would go APE if they didn't get their bonuses

Sean

Banned
whytemyke said:

The last time I took part in a midnight release (Halo 3 at Gamestop), they had the entire line pay in advance. Once it turned midnight, they just checked your receipt and handed you whatever version you'd already paid for - so even though there was a lot of people, the line moved very quickly.

Not sure if that's standard procedure or what but it was very organized that time.

-PXG- said:

Wanna know a secret?

I never did this, because I knew it was wrong, and I just felt bad. Corporate gives us shit about our numbers. How many pre-orders, Edge card subscriptions, used games we've sold, ect. Because of that, employees push that stuff, so they can keep the higher ups off their asses. Anyway, some employees refused to sell a game, to a customer who was reluctant to pre-order a game, that they were, 100%, going to buy the first day. They would claim the store was sold out and awaiting another shipment.

Yeah, it's shitty and bad. But (and I am not condoning it), it sucks when customers, who plan on coming to the same store, day one, for that game, don't pre-order. There shouldn't be any reason why they can't plunk down $5 towards their game. Plus, most games come with little "gifts". Yeah....some customers would go APE if they didn't get their bonuses

-PXG-
-liar-

lol!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I feel sorry for people working the midnight launch. Hopefully they get paid overtime.

-PXG- said:

Wanna know a secret?

Had something like that happen to me before with metal gear on the psp.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Ecto311 said:
The line gone at 12:15? Halo 3 and Halo 2 took forever to get the line down. I was in the middle of both lines and it took forever. I left around 1:00am both times. I would get there a tad early or just go tomorrow. In all the times I went, I just stood in line with my wife until it started to move and listened to all ignorant stories from others in line. Others bragging or making up shit to impress others that were there for their kids. It sucks as you get older and that's the reason I went to amazon and will go to amazon for all my recent games to come out.

The gamestop near me is always closed by 12:30. It does okay business, but not alot of midnight release people there. I think the longest line I saw was Madden this year. Even then the store closed at 12:30. The strategy of having everyone pre-pay from 10-11:30 works wonders.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
midnight launches suck. after... what was it? the Gears 2/LBP double-launch (in Australia) I swore I'd never do it again. I never enjoy myself playing the game when I'm half-asleep. It's just pointless.

I guess if you have some friends and some beer it could be fun for some multi-player shenanigans.

My impressions so far after beating Acts 1 and 2 (there's 3).

Just wow. I thought CoD4 couldn't get any better.

+ Improved graphics. Everything looks more refined and the variety of set-pieces is staggering.
+ Game reminds me a lot of Uncharted 2 (great chase sequences)
+ Same old fantastic shooting mechanics.
+ Less egregious choke points, enemy spawn chambers.
+ As someone whos been to Russia, Brazil, America (lol) - they nailed the atmosphere.
+ Music is surprisingly effective.

- Game is going to get TOUGH in Veteran (some parts seem impossible on Hardened)
- Blood on screen is obnoxious sometimes.
- Terrorist level isn't all that controversial IMO. (maybe I'm just a bad person)
- Beat the first two acts in 4 hours.

Onto play some MP at midnight. Overall, my second favorite game of the year so far.

Blader

For people who have the game:

I have no interest in MP and will never play it. Is this worth the purchase for just the SP and Spec Ops?

Hey guys, for those who got the prestige edition, an impressions please? I'm in line right now, do have a preorder, jus can't decide if it's worth it.

igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
Something about MacTavish's haircut makes me think he has been playing a bit too much Killzone.
:lol Yeah.
First time I saw him without the helmet, I had to do a double take...

"SEV?! What the fuck are you doing in this game??"

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
Blader5489 said:
For people who have the game:

I have no interest in MP and will never play it. Is this worth the purchase for just the SP and Spec Ops?

Most definitely, however because some Spec Ops missions require coop and the single player isn't very long, I recommend waiting until the price drops a little bit.

Top Bottom