• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

nib95

Banned
Hmmm....ok....so after a few hours with the game, I'm just not very impressed. In-fact, I'm actually disappointed. My main complaints with the game lie with the aimlessness of it all. At times it feels almost serious sam like. And the amount of confusion and misdirection is just jarring. Things are going on from every direction, but it's never very clear which makes battles a tad confusing. I don't think the red blood/damage indicator is sufficient, especially when at times you can be getting shot from pretty much every angle. Half the time I was just clueless as to where I was supposed to shoot. And even when you do, the amount of effects, debris and smoke that come off sort of blur your vision to add to the confusion. The fact that the games constantly dogging you to get behind cover, when there isn't even a proper cover system (something the game desperately needs imo) doesn't help either. Just adds to the sloppiness of gunplay. It reminds me a little of RE5, where a lack of control options often lead to more deaths than actual player skill.

Then there's the auto aim. Ok, have they increased the amount or have times just moved on? The zoom in auto aim is just stupidly generous. It literally moves half the screen to click in to place. What the hell? It's like spoon feeding you kills. It's better to zoom in and out continuously and blindly (guaranteeing you insta locks) than it is to take your time and aim around zoomed in. I find that absurd, and totally anti-skill or reward.

Lastly, the narrative. I can't help but feel it's a tad blotchy and rushed. Elements just aren't fitting together very concisely, and I don't feel I'm getting a sense of the characters or plot much yet at all. For example,
after the Airport level, which by the way I think was probably unnecessarily extreme, the way the main villain just shoots the under cover agent, it all happens so quick and so anti-climatically, you could almost miss it, and all the events that follow just seem rushed and loose as well.
The menu's and interface events are slick, and aesthetically stunning, but how well they help the narrative/characters drive forward and actually embed themselves in the players mind, I'm not so sure.

I also think, the audio need some balancing. Voices are sometimes too soft/quiet, or change in pitch to variables that don't quite seem levelled properly.

On the pus sides, I loved the snow level (a nice pace, and cool effects), though the simplicity of the climbing was a bit un-ambitious (R1/L1 over and over repetitively like 100 times). The atmosphere is also really powerful in segments, in particular the art direction and colour schemes. It all looks quite raw and realistic, if a little on the light side.

So yea, so far, I'm finding it a bit difficult to see the AAA brilliance of the title. It seems like a very messy affair currently. Don't get me wrong, it's very polished with respect to the controls, but not (imo) so far in game design, where it seems to be all over the place and lacking in focus.

Will carry on and update with impressions later down the line. Maybe I just need to warm to the controls and pace of the game a little more, extremely frenetic and busy.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Red Blaster said:
Friend in Tampa just told me his store had over 900 pre-orders. Crazy.
My roommate is gamestop manager here in cali and he says he got about 900 too
Crazy since the best buy here isnt doing midnight so its just his store :lol Ill wait tomorrow I guess since I have school ;;

nib95 said:
Hmmm....ok....so after a few hours with the game, I'm just not very impressed. In-fact, I'm actually disappointed. My main complaints with the game lie with the aimlessness of it all. At times it feels almost serious sam like. And the amount of confusion and misdirection is just jarring. Things are going on from every direction, but it's never very clear which makes battles a tad confusing. I don't think the red blood/damage indicator is sufficient, especially when at times you can be getting shot from pretty much every angle. Half the time I was just clueless as to where I was supposed to shoot. And even when you do, the amount of effects, debris and smoke that come off sort of blur your vision to add to the confusion. The fact that the games constantly dogging you to get behind cover, when there isn't even a proper cover system (something the game desperately needs imo) doesn't help either. Just adds to the sloppiness of gunplay. It reminds me a little of RE5, where a lack of control options often lead to more deaths than actual player skill.

Then there's the auto aim. Ok, have they increased the amount or have times just moved on? The zoom in auto aim is just stupidly generous. It literally moves half the screen to click in to place. What the hell? It's like spoon feeding you kills. It's better to zoom in and out continuously and blindly (guaranteeing you insta locks) than it is to take your time and aim around zoomed in. I find that absurd, and totally anti-skill or reward.

Lastly, the narrative. I can't help but feel it's a tad blotchy and rushed. Elements just aren't fitting together very concisely, and I don't feel I'm getting a sense of the characters or plot much yet at all. For example,
after the Airport level, which by the way I think was probably unnecessarily extreme, the way the main villain just shoots the under cover agent, it all happens so quick and so anti-climatically, you could almost miss it, and all the events that follow just seem rushed and loose as well.
The menu's and interface events are slick, and aesthetically stunning, but how well they help the narrative/characters drive forward and actually embed themselves in the players mind, I'm not so sure.

I also think, the audio need some balancing. Voices are sometimes too soft/quiet, or change in pitch to variables that don't quite seem levelled properly.

On the pus sides, I loved the snow level (a nice pace, and cool effects), though the simplicity of the climbing was a bit un-ambitious (R1/L1 over and over repetitively like 100 times). The atmosphere is also really powerful in segments, in particular the art direction and colour schemes. It all looks quite raw and realistic, if a little on the light side.

So yea, so far, I'm finding it a bit difficult to see the AAA brilliance of the title. It seems like a very messy affair currently. Don't get me wrong, it's very polished with respect to the controls, but not (imo) so far in game design, where it seems to be all over the place and lacking in focus.

Will carry on and update with impressions later down the line. Maybe I just need to warm to the controls and pace of the game a little more, extremely frenetic and busy.

So a 9/10 then..? Not to bad.

nib95 said:

such negativity. wow, dude you need to sell your copy and move on. seriously, you are a Debbie Downer :lol

-PXG-

Meta tag is made. PM me your gamertags and I will add you to the friend's list.

I'm going to bed soon. If I don't add you tonight, don't fret, I will add you in the morning. No one will be left behind. Once the list is full, I will inform someone else to make another tag.

Goodnight. For those who got it, have fun. :)

RedStep

igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
Something about MacTavish's haircut makes me think he has been playing a bit too much Killzone.

It struck me as being more an homage to Johnny Messner's badass soldier in Tears of the Sun.

tearsofthesun_p23.jpg

Also, up to L20 in Multi - getting the hang of all the additions now, thoroughly addicted. Instead of "just one more round", it's "just one more level (up)".

Blader5489 said:
For people who have the game:

I have no interest in MP and will never play it. Is this worth the purchase for just the SP and Spec Ops?
I'm not a multiplayer kind of guy either. This is my first CoD game, not really enjoying the SP, will probably return it on thursday.

nib95

Banned
Billy Mitchell said:
such negativity. wow, dude you need to sell your copy and move on. seriously, you are a Debbie Downer :lol

No way man, I'm going to see it through till the end. I'm enjoying it (ish lol), just not nearly as much as I thought I would, nor as much as I did the original. heck, even the opening level in MW2 annoyed me. You have to shoot these guys across the river/lake but you can barely even make them out. And just have a teeny little spot with rocks blocking you all around. I'm assuming you should move to the top straight away, but the game certainly didn't direct it like that. It actually funnels you forward towards the edge of the lake where rocks and weeds obstruct your view and movements. So that was a tad jarring.

I'm hoping, and guessing things will improve as I continue playing. Maybe the issue is that I've gotten to used to the pace and controls of other games that MW2's is a bit of a shock to the system.

nib95 said:
No way man, I'm going to see it through till the end. I'm enjoying it (ish lol), just not nearly as much as I thought I would, nor as much as I did the original. heck, even the opening level in MW2 annoyed me. You have to shoot these guys across the river/lake but you can barely even make them out. And just have a teeny little spot with rocks blocking you all around. I'm assuming you should move to the top straight away, but the game certainly didn't direct it like that. It actually funnels you forward towards the lake where rocks and weeks obstruct your view and movements. So that was a tad jarring.

I'm hoping, and guessing things will improve as I continue playing. Maybe the issue is that I've gotten to used to the pace and controls of other games that MW2's is a bit of a shock to the system.
Act 1 is pretty shit, aside from Cliffhanger and No Russian.

Act II and III are where it's at.
Reading your impressions, it sounds like you're halfway into 1. Give it time.

Jswanko

~Kinggi~ said:
So my fucking order that i made with amazon for release date delivery is coming the 11th. What type of bullshit is that.

Sucks, I chose free shipping to save the 5 bucks. Going to pick up at walmart tonight and just give it the old switcheroo in a week when my amazon copy comes.

LowParry

I can't imagin the single player being as boring as ODST's single player. What a let down that game was. Thankfully it was a rented game. But most of my friends are buying MW2 just for the MP. I did that with WaW...which was a mistake. lol

nib95

Banned
Revolutionary said:
Act 1 is pretty shit, aside from Cliffhanger and No Russian.

Act II and III are where it's at.
Reading your impressions, it sounds like you're halfway into 1. Give it time.

I just finished the segment where you
chase the main villains right hand man through the Favela's. Still an extremely aimless and messy level. Half the time I didn't know what was coming from where. And the number of enemies was ridiculous! One every second or less from every angle at times.
Which act is that?

Zzoram

There are 4500 people who played MW2 singleplayer and 2200 multiplayer in the last few hours according to Steam. I assume those are boxed copies since the Steam version doesn't unlock for like 12 hours.

Interesting that the counter splits singleplayer and multiplayer.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm with nib on this one. the story seems really quite scattered and hectic. it is very much a blink and you'll miss it kind of thing.

it gives that feeling like... umm... they're so close to doing something awesome, but there's that tiny gap between decent and stunning, and IW haven't managed to close it like they did with a lot of COD4. It feels like it's trying really hard to be amazing, and that's the problem: you can feel it trying too hard. Games that are truely amazing just come off as effortless.

The blood splatter on screen gets quite annoying when you're surrounded by enemies on different levels and the like. Not being able to tell where you're being shot from is annoying. It's that typical "don't look, just run!" mentality that had always urked me about the series. I'm a much slower, more methodical player, and the game doesn't accommodate that at all. With that being said, I totally overlooked that with COD4 because of how cohesive the whole package was. At the moment, most of the set-pieces have been all potential and little delivery. That's what bums me out. They get so close to being great. The tone is just those few notches away from brilliant.

I'm only mid-way through Wolverines! so I still have a whole lot of game left, but yeah, that's how I'm feeling at the moment.

The Fevola level left a really bad taste in my mouth. Poor level design, I got lost running around at times, enemies fire from all over the place and I had no idea what I was doing and for what purpose. Just... yuck. I don't feel like playing much more at the moment.

Luckily the multiplayer is as fun as ever.

igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
I'm not a multiplayer kind of guy either. This is my first CoD game, not really enjoying the SP, will probably return it on thursday.

return it? what company takes opened games anymore for refunds?

Yeah I dunno, I wouldn't buy this kind of game at full price just for the single player which isn't even that long, it's such a multi focused game, community is a biig part of the call of duty games.

Zzoram

Orangepeel said:

Yeah I dunno, I wouldn't buy this kind of game at full price just for the single player which isn't even that long, it's such a multi focused game, community is a biig part of the call of duty games.

Maybe he rented it?

nib95

Banned
Rez said:
I'm with nib on this one. the story seems really quite scattered and hectic. it is very much a blink and you'll miss it kind of thing.

it gives that feeling like... umm... they're so close to doing something awesome, but there's that tiny gap between decent and stunning, and IW haven't managed to close it like they did with a lot of COD4. It feels like it's trying really hard to be amazing, and that's the problem: you can feel it trying too hard. Games that are truely amazing just come off as effortless.

The blood splatter on screen gets quite annoying when you're surrounded by enemies on different levels and the like. Not being able to tell where you're being shot from is annoying. It's that typical "don't look, just run!" mentality that had always urked me about the series. I'm a much slower, more methodical player, and the game doesn't accommodate that at all. With that being said, I totally overlooked that with COD4 because of how cohesive the whole package was. At the moment, most of the set-pieces have been all potential and little delivery. That's what bums me out. They get so close to being great.

A key point I missed out. I think that's the main reason why the gunplay/gameplay this time around feels messier and less focused. The blood splatter makes it even harder to focus, especially when you get annoying wobbles each time you get hit. Copious amounts of blood splatter, minimal hit direction indication and death wobbles = very confusing combination. Add to the insane number of enemies coming at you from all angles as well.

Hopefully the pacing is kept to similar to the snow level, and less like the Favela's later on in the game.

nib95 said:
I just finished the segment where you
chase the main villains right hand man through the Favela's. Still an extremely aimless and messy level. Half the time I didn't know what was coming from where. And the number of enemies was ridiculous! One every second or less from every angle at times.
Which act is that?
The first. :lol

It gets better. There's a reason why I held off on my impressions until I beat the game today (and I've had the game since Thursday)... I had those same reservations you did about Act 1. :p

Rez said:

The blood splatter on screen gets quite annoying when you're surrounded by enemies on different levels and the like. Not being able to tell where you're being shot from is annoying. It's that typical "don't look, just run!" mentality that had always urked me about the series. I'm a much slower, more methodical player, and the game doesn't accommodate that at all. With that being said, I totally overlooked that with COD4 because of how cohesive the whole package was. At the moment, most of the set-pieces have been all potential and little delivery. That's what bums me out. They get so close to being great. The tone is just those few notches away from brilliant.

I'm only mid-way through Wolverines! so I still have a whole lot of game left, but yeah, that's how I'm feeling at the moment.

The Fevola level left a really bad taste in my mouth. Poor level design, I got lost running around at times, enemies fire from all over the place and I had no idea what I was doing and for what purpose. Just... yuck. I don't feel like playing much more at the moment.

Luckily the multiplayer is as fun as ever.

They still have respawning enemies don't they? little things like that and constant jam-screen will probably leave single player untouched for a while on my side.

RedStep

Orangepeel said:
They still have respawning enemies don't they? little things like that and constant jam-screen will probably leave single player untouched for a while on my side.

In my time with Veteran, I didn't notice any respawning enemies. Only spawning enemies, which is not the same. Waves will swarm you, but you can kill them and move on.

It seems that the old days of sniping the same turret gunner 20 times are gone (I'm looking at you, CoD3...).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Orangepeel said:
for all intents and purposes, yeah, they respawn. you have to move forward, or the game won't progress.

I mean, there might technically be some sort of limit, but they just keep streaming at you during large-scale shoot-outs.

Plasma

Banned
Anyone else having crashes at the end of act 2 on the pc version?

It crashes to desktop every time I finish the final level in act 2, it lets me start act 3 when I restart the game but it just has the same crash when it tries to start that level.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
250-300ish people at midnight launch and I don't even live in a crowded area. I was expecting to swing by and grab it right away. I think Madden only had 20 people at the store. Still only took 20 minutes to get to me :D Updating now.

ch0mp

Neverender said:
I knew that IW not including Locale Search was a stupid idea...

It filters the games by ping when searching for them. 4 bars for me every time anyway, in a few hours worth of MP.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Revolutionary said:
The first. :lol

It gets better. There's a reason why I held off on my impressions until I beat the game today (and I've had the game since Thursday)... I had those same reservations you did about Act 1. :p
that's good to hear. if this weren't an IW COD, I'd have returned the game to my shelf at this point and not touched it again for a while.

well, that's a lie. I'd bring it out fairly often to play multiplayer with some mates. :lol

Rez said:
for all intents and purposes, yeah, they respawn. you have to move forward, or the game won't progress.

I mean, there might technically be some sort of limit, but they just keep streaming at you during large-scale shoot-outs.

RedStep said:
In my time with Veteran, I didn't notice any respawning enemies. Only spawning enemies, which is not the same. Waves will swarm you, but you can kill them and move on.

It seems that the old days of sniping the same turret gunner 20 times are gone (I'm looking at you, CoD3...).

:D

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Plasma said:
Anyone else having crashes at the end of act 2 on the pc version?

It crashes to desktop every time I finish the final level in act 2, it lets me start act 3 when I restart the game but it just has the same crash when it tries to start that level.
Game's not balanced for act 3 :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that's sort of what I meant. the game plays out in the exact same way, regardless of whether or not they're technically respawning. you can't just sit in one area and hope to kill everyone during mid to large scale shoot-outs; at least, not from my experience.

Orangepeel said:

In Australia, EB games will give me $105 if I trade it in before the 16th, I paid $77 for it.

kaskade

RedStep said:
It struck me as being more an homage to Johnny Messner's badass soldier in Tears of the Sun.

tearsofthesun_p23.jpg

Also, up to L20 in Multi - getting the hang of all the additions now, thoroughly addicted. Instead of "just one more round", it's "just one more level (up)".
I remember watching something on the game(maybe read it) and they mention Tears of the Sun guy. I need to see that movie.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
LovingSteam said:
I think that guy just finished trying multi MW2 on PC.

Oh yea bishop, if I buy a copy of Turok, what will you give me?
Just paypal me the money and I'll spend it on a knockoff Lakers jersey. Deal?

zewone

Rez said:

Not that bad, even on Veteran.

Top Bottom