• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Over 300 waiting in the Sumter Mall... crazy ass long line. Went by quick because of how organized the Gamestop employees were. Free CiCi's pizza and Chick fil a FTW too.

The game is nice... got to level 4 in multiplayer and still on the first level of the game. Feels hectic but it's nice. Multiplayer maps is going to take some getting used to. Lots of space in some of them.

Dynamic3

My friend just got the game at midnight, invited me to his game, highest level aside from myself (who got the game on Sat. and am a 28) was an 8, went 41-1 lol.

Glad they didn't reset the ranks :). Heartbeat + 2x chopper gunners = cheat codes. Was 1 kill away from a nuke at the end. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
my copy came with a code. what is it?

excuse my ignorance, I've been on a total media blackout.

Jube3

Kind of a wierd question and it may have been answered but how are the night vision goggles, im genuinely curious :lol

aktham

I just got back from the midnight release and HOLY SHIT!!! We have Gamestop and Walmart kinda next to each other and both were packed. This is bigger than Halo 3 and WotLK combined (both were huge, considering I'm living in a small college town)

dralla

Rez said:
not to be a douche, but tell me you're not waiting for some sort of insightful critical analysis from Game Trailers, of all places.

im actually curious to see the GT review. after their uc2 review they claimed to reward originality and innovation, and a game that refines and doesn't bring anything new to the table would score a 9.3 at the most.

dralla said:
im actually curious to see the GT review. after their uc2 review they claimed to reward originality and innovation, and a game that refines and doesn't bring anything new to the table would score a 9.3 at the most.

Quoted for posterity.

Hey, I wouldn't be so quick to calibrate your game brightness based off the in game calibration tool. It seems to be affected by the current lighting situation in the game.

This generally a bad thing because the start menu brightness situation is pretty high. The barely visible was not visible in the menus, but was visible when I made it into the start of the obstacle course.

Since it isn't reliable, I would just keep it on default if your TV is normally correctly calibrated. That is, unless, someone knows the correct number of clicks from a certain position.

Jube3

Well this is rather depressing, I usually like to hop into friend parties to chat while I paint in forza and all the parties are inactive because of the voice chat :( The'yre all in game chat. Im so alone haha (shoulda picked up mw2 midnight -_-)

Jube3

Eric WK said:
Forced game chat is gaaaaaaaaarbage.

Yea dude, I was gonna hope in your party to ask what you thought of the game since I wont have it till tommorow and.. sigh. This sucks.

Victrix is that you in the stream? I was already watching that one lol

Ten-Song

dralla said:

Yeah, but this game has a crap ton more marketing budget behind it, sooo it'll get a 10 out of 10.

dralla said:

MW2 will get a 10/10 on Gametrailers. Actually, there is no way I won't be let down. If it's a not a 10/10, then how lame is it that they have a review countdown? but if they do have it up, then they bend over for Activision (we know at least some of them do). Same goes for most sites.

george_us

Just got home and played for about an hour, just got past the hostage part. I have to say that it was more shocking then I had pictured. At first I thought people were just overreacting once again at another "violent" video game but this actually made me say "Goddamn" in a somewhat negative manner. It wasn't distasteful or anything just...shocking. I'm actually surprised the media isn't completely all over this like Mass Effect.

Anyways, this is a game that seems unimpressive when other people are playing it yet is completely awesome when you play it. Your character and the weapons themselves have a lot more weight to them without it being annoying and the enemy placement is much better this time around. There also seems to be a metric shit ton of weapons too.

ZeroRay

Linkzg said:
MW2 will get a 10/10 on Gametrailers. Actually, there is no way I won't be let down. If it's a not a 10/10, then how lame is it that they have a review countdown? but if they do have it up, then they bend over for Activision (we know at least some of them do). Same goes for most sites.

I'm guessing somewhere in the 9.6 - 10 range. Will be heralded as the best game of this generation and the definitive multiplayer experience for ages to come.

Can't wait to get my copy tomorrow.

thaOwner

Ten-Song said:
Yeah, but this game has a crap ton more marketing budget behind it, sooo it'll get a 10 out of 10.
And considering they've had the countdown and a section for the game on their site for weeks now, I doubt this will get anything below a 9.

Been playing for the last eight hours straight. Dear god.

Haven't touched the campaign yet, but have played a boatload of online. It's weird getting used to all the new maps, at the moment it seems I either do great or do terrible, not much in between. Also played some split-screen spec-ops with a friend, was great fun (though the stealth snow section is a bitch. Awesome, but a bitch).

Visuals are nice and crisp. Pretty much like COD4 with more bloom and better textures.

The online will consume my life though, I just know it. I had to restrain myself from playing it more, for fear of my well-being. Initially impressions are that some maps - like Derail and Afghan - are a bit too big for their own good. There's quite a few sniper maps in this one, Afghan and Wasteland (I think) especially come to mind. The map that's like Downpour is so damn dark and muddy I can't see shit.

I'm predicting a 9.5 from Gametrailers for the hell of it.

They'll probably throw something like this in there: " MW2's core gameplay doesn't exactly do anything new, but the formula has been almost perfected here, besides the strawberry jam."

They'll also mention the short campaign, but say that this game is more about the multiplayer anyway.

Ten-Song

The-Warning said:
I'm predicting a 9.5 from Gametrailers for the hell of it.

They'll probably throw something like this in there: " MW2's core gameplay doesn't exactly do anything new, but the formula has been almost perfected here, besides the strawberry jam."

They'll also mention the short campaign, but say that this game is more about the multiplayer anyway.

They've done that in a lot of reviews. Always something like "The campaign is short, but such and such replayable, good anyways though we chide other games for the same fault."

My midnight launch only had around ~25 people. Heard the police even came by asking why we are standing in front of a gamestore at midnight :lol

Played 3 multiplayer matches before going to bed. I still have trouble spotting enemies, I usually see them when I'm already dead xD Maybe it's because I'm still playing on a SD tv. Had green bars every match and no lag issues, so far so good.

ZeoVGM

Banned
george_us said:
Why not? MW1 isn't all that long (about 5-6 hours) and the campaign is excellent imo.

I'm about to look really silly being the one guy playing MW1 alongside the other 10 people playing MW2 on people's lists. :lol

*goes invisible*

Let's go reviews....

Eurogamer
- http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/modern-warfare-2-review?page=1

Modern Warfare 2 balances the spectacle and silliness of its single-player campaign with a deep, enduring multiplayer core, carefully covering its bases for players of all persuasions. But there is no denying it seeks merely to build upon the successes of its forebear while doing very little to expand its scope or redefine them. Don't be fooled by the airport scene, which reveals a developer trying its hand at something else, without coming close to fully committing to it. There's nothing wrong with that. After all, underneath the sheen and controversy, Modern Warfare 2 is a videogame. And yes, you can be sure it's one you want to see.

9/10

Top Bottom