• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Talon

dralla said:
im actually curious to see the GT review. after their uc2 review they claimed to reward originality and innovation, and a game that refines and doesn't bring anything new to the table would score a 9.3 at the most.
You say that like GT hasn't dropped that line on any other sequels.

sun-drop

where's the DTS audio in the ps3 version? ...weak ...

just popped it in and had to exit out right away to reselect the poorman's suround sound option of DD.

Plasma

Banned
I stayed up all night but I finally completed it, solid game and I look forward to delving into the spec-ops and multiplayer .... but I should probably get some sleep first ._.

Oh and if anybody runs into crashes at the end of act 2 on the PC version the way I fixed it was by updating my graphics card drivers.

BOOM! 250 peeps processed in 1 hour.

15850_215964098776_818843776_2866242_6750851_n.jpg

Our midnight FTW. Now off to bed, I gotta open for 8am. =( Maybe I can actually play some on Wed.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm hearing the story is very crazy and ridiculous and to me, that's fucking awesome. Sounds like they had fun and went all out. And why shouldn't they?

xPowerPadDeathStompx

I would like a link to that girl's MySpace and/or Facebook. Thank you.

ZeoVGM

Banned
xPowerPadDeathStompx said:
I don't think she has one. She doesn't even work at our store, she was an employees girlfriend. Lulz.

Oh.

That's okay, I'll take his MySpace and/or Facebook and stalk her properly through him.

micromagic said:
So the leaked score was right after all! Or maybe they just decided to match it, who knows.

It was shooped, but yah, pretty funny. Everyone had a good laugh when they caught wind of my final score.

OH ALSO: We made sure not to have spoilers above what was in trailers up until the Infamy video. Nothing from the final (spoiler-filled) release trailer or beyond. Enjoy all!

The-Warning said:
I'm predicting a 9.5 from Gametrailers for the hell of it.

They'll probably throw something like this in there: " MW2's core gameplay doesn't exactly do anything new, but the formula has been almost perfected here, besides the strawberry jam."

They'll also mention the short campaign, but say that this game is more about the multiplayer anyway.
I don't wanna be that person but Uncharted 2 got "shit" for being "short". This game is shorter and no one seems to care. Well yet, I am hoping we'll see some more harsh reviews soon.

I haven't played the entire game yet but I have played it. It does deserve some 10's from people who are fans of the series but 99/100 like it is now is so wrong. Propably gonna go down I know but still.

If any magazine/site etc gives it a 10 and they say originality is needed for 10's they are shooting themselves in the foot. I'm not one of them that say a game has to be original and groundbreaking to get a 10. A perfect game, even if it only does what other games already does but way better should still get a 10.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Tenkai Star said:
If any magazine/site etc gives it a 10 and they say originality is needed for 10's they are shooting themselves in the foot.

How much do you know about American culture? (You're probably an expert.)

Bozon-IGN said:
It was shooped, but yah, pretty funny. Everyone had a good laugh when they caught wind of my final score.

OH ALSO: We made sure not to have spoilers above what was in trailers up until the Infamy video. Nothing from the final (spoiler-filled) release trailer or beyond. Enjoy all!
When is the PC review coming up?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Tenkai Star said:
"Graphics 10/10"
Yep Insomniac, you were right, 60 FPS never gives high scores. :lol

Yeah! You guys should drop your game down to 600p! Those games sell the best!

Ephemeris

Revolutionary said:
Act 1 is pretty shit, aside from Cliffhanger and No Russian.

Act II and III are where it's at.
Reading your impressions, it sounds like you're halfway into 1. Give it time.

I most definitely agree with this.

Good thing I didn't post my MW1 SP > MW2's comment while I was still playing act 1.

Cause I'd be wrong.

So played about 2 1/2 hours of the campaign. So far the best word to describe it is....hectic, almost too hectic. Any way need some sleep. So far it's pretty good. Can't wait to jump online tommorow. No party chat is going to suck hard.

ZeroRay

Kintaro said:
Yeah! You guys should drop your game down to 600p! Those games sell the best!

The 2 best selling HD games this gen aren't HD at all, 3 if you include the PS3 version of GTA 4 so you do have a point.

lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ZeroRay said:
The 2 best selling HD games this gen aren't HD at all, 3 if you include the PS3 version of GTA 4 so you do have a point.

lol

Best selling games of all time are probably not even 480p. IW is missing the boat.

Jube3

Net_Wrecker said:
Wow...good job Infinity Ward. Dude gets kicked from the MW2 party, but since he can't party chat, he was left on an island with NO WAY of asking his friends what the hell just happened.

What an annoyance.

yep, 30 people online on my friends list and I cant talk to any of them because im the only one without mw2 :( lol Everywhere I go all I see are red mics.

S1lent

Anybody else notice that the banner ad at the top of youtube.com gives the impression that this game is 360-exclusive? No PS3 logo whatsoever.

RedStep

Revolutionary said:
The PC version isn't balanced for anything higher than a 640x480 resolution, sorry.

640x480? I got ripped! Mine says it's balanced for 320x200. And EGA, no less! I guess I need to take it back and get the Prestige Edition for full VGA graphics.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Net_Wrecker said:
Wow...good job Infinity Ward. Dude gets kicked from the MW2 party, but since he can't party chat, he was left on an island with NO WAY of asking his friends what the hell just happened.

What an annoyance.
Groundwar is the only mode that allows party chat.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really like Jeff's review, it was a good read/watch.

Eurogamer's was also a good read, albeit completely different.

Hanmik

What´s up with Trophies in this game.. When I launched the game for the first time, I was prompted to download firmware 3,01, which I did. Then I had to download a Patch (15mb), did that and installed it. Then I played Singleplayer for 2½ hours yesterday. But no trophies for me..? the trophy list didn´t even load.. not before I stopped playing and started the game again did the trophy list load.. but I did not try to get some trophies after the list loaded.. can I not get any trophies on this playthrough..? do I have to start all over to get the trophies.-.? anyone knows..?

and btw.. singleplayer sucks.. the story is non existing, it´s all just some kind of setup for the OVER THE TOP setpieces.. fly from country to country and do some strange missions, that have almost zero relation to each other.. hope it gets better later on... because I thought the singleplayer part of MW1 was great fun, so I thought this would be the same.. but not for me 2½ hour into the game on my PS3. Maybe it is because Uncharted 2 has spoiled me. Maybe every game whill feel underwhelming after Uncharted 2..? time will tell...

But it´s for the multiplayer part that I bought the game.. so hope it delivers later this week, when the mediocre Singleplayer part is finished for me..

S1lent said:
Anybody else notice that the banner ad at the top of youtube.com gives the impression that this game is 360-exclusive? No PS3 logo whatsoever.
Exclusive ad deal with MS to make it seem like an exclusive.

NeoUltima

S1lent said:
I haven't seen one ad ps3 in it. I assume MS is paying for the whole campaign.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
omg rite said:
Uh, what are you even talking about?
you missed IW's violent penetration of its PC community's anus over the past few weeks?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Rez said:
you missed IW's violent penetration of its PC community's anus over the past few weeks?

Oh, that? So now we get to have annoyed PC gamers coming into the official thread to say "I'm not getting this game"?

Awesome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm mid-way through act two and I haven't even been playing for two hours yet, so I'd say it's not an unreasonable estimate.

omg rite said:
Oh, that? So now we get to have annoyed PC gamers coming into the official thread to say "I'm not getting this game"?

Awesome.
sure, I guess. this is the thread where MW2 is discussed one week prior to launch through to the eventual LTTP thread, you see.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ugh...matchmaking's not perfect after all:

m7q9og.png

Game took honestly less than a second to match me (it rarely takes more than a second which is crazy). With that quick of a match, you'd assume you're in for a good connection. Nope...it matches me with a game where I have 1 fucking bar. Are you kidding me, IW?

Not like I have a bad PC or connection or anything:

Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
GTX 275
4GB DDR2-800

Afterward, played a game with full 4 bars, which felt incredibly lagless.

edit: looks like some people with 4 full bars were level 21...possibly European? That better not be the case. There were 28,000 people online...sure IWNet could have matched me with a better game.

Jtrizzy

yeah the initial plot twist in this game is ridiculous imo. Game plays great and all, but it is really tough to believe something like that could ever happen.

TheExodu5 said:
Ugh...matchmaking's not perfect after all:

Game took honestly less than a second to match me (it rarely takes more than a second which is crazy). With that quick of a match, you'd assume you're in for a good connection. Nope...it matches me with a game where I have 1 fucking bar. Are you kidding me, IW?

Afterward, played a game with full 4 bars, which felt incredibly lagless.

I'd rather risk getting into a laggy match with a search time of 1 second than take 4 minutes to search for a better connection.

Ephemeris

went to the NYC event. Already had my game since last week, but special thanks to fourzerotwo and 'long for signing my copy before Gamestop allowed the others in.

The loot

24e174m.jpg

plus a free laser etching of the guy in the left shirt on the back of my phone. awesome night. DJ Jazzy Jeff was amazing and ?uestlove was going hard on the NY stuff.

Completed the game last night (well, early this morning) with a finish time of
6hrs 50mins
. Take an hour off of that when I left the PS3 on and had food etc. So just as short as MW1, but equally as good in most areas.

Levels..
It didn't really have any crazy wow moments like the AC-130 mission from MW1, and the sniping missions, although great, didn't have the same impact this time around. The White House (both times) was brilliant, as was the oil rig (with the shoddy backgrounds! :D ), and many other moments along the way too.

Without doubt the hardest part of the game was the shanty town level after the Airport which is really early on in the game. This is a litte odd, but I didn't really struggle with anything after that point.

It's a great SP experience for sure and I'll go back through it to pick up the remaining Intel and complete Veteran.

Top Bottom