• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Revolutionary said:
dark10x said:
Man, the opinions on the SP campaign are harsh. As someone who did not much care for the campaign in CoD4, I have a feeling this game is going to fall flat for me (in regards to SP). All of the reviews seem to specifically point out improvements that I wanted to see (no more spawning enemies points, larger areas that allow for less linear approach, actual AI, and tighter scenario design) yet most GAF impressions tend to suggest that it is inferior to CoD4 in all areas.

Money hats? Jaded GAF posters? We'll see...
It's the first Act. It sucks, and GAFers are running to their computers to post their impressions about it before they get to the meat of the game.

dark10x said:
Man, the opinions on the SP campaign are harsh. As someone who did not much care for the campaign in CoD4, I have a feeling this game is going to fall flat for me (in regards to SP). All of the reviews seem to specifically point out improvements that I wanted to see (no more spawning enemies points, larger areas that allow for less linear approach, actual AI, and tighter scenario design) yet most GAF impressions tend to suggest that it is inferior to CoD4 in all areas.

"When this quote hits 88 views per minute......."

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Mr Spliff said:
I get the airport scene,
i think the problem with it is that it is simple an ineffective message to the player whicher therefore reads: pointless. They should have watched Viggo in 'Eastern Promises'and fleshed it out along those lines
, a vague reference but some will know what I mean.

I get the reference.
In the cut scene before the airport mission you see a guy's body (presumably your characters) and he's getting tattoos put on him. I instantly thought of Eastern Promises. I think they dropped the ball a bit in that they didn't explore that a bit more, but I thought the airport scene was effective. You participate in a massacre and then are scapegoated for it. I think the scene works.

Does anyone know if UPS is working tomorrow? More than likely I'm going to be at work when the UPS truck comes to my house, so I'm thinking about picking this up at best buy and then returning my unopened Amazon copy to BB...

-PXG-

Meta tag is made. PM me your gamertags and I will add you to the friend's list.

I have to leave to go back to school and pick up my copy in a few hour or two. I will add people now, and later on today.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Morph-0 said:
As for the airport scene -
what the hell is the challenge in
shooting those civilians? requires a lot of skill that wow Infinity Ward :s
no one else could have thought of that.
To me its seems to have
only been included to stir controversy and help sell the game.
Challenge is there later on, provided you play on the right difficulty.

I don't think they did it to sell a million more copies but instead just to shock the player, they've done that whether it be big moments like that or the more smaller ones
"Last mag, make it count."
And they've done a terrific job with that imo.

Also, who wants to bet vehicles will make it into the next game's multiplayer and suddenly they're all cool somehow?
Vehicles were already awesome since United Offensive

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
dark10x said:

I don't see how anyone could not like the campaign in either game. You know the game is heavily scripted going in, so outside of that, there's not much to complain about other than the pacing and non-cohesive story. It's a fun ride. Enjoy it.

Lyonaz

Just finished the single player campaign, holy shit did the game get epic towards the end.

Here's hoping Modern Warfare 3 is about
Soap and Price taking on the world as wanted fugitive mercenaries while clearing their name with the help of Nikolai. Hell make the Cylons arrive, because of nuclear explosion in Earth's atmosphere. I'm not joking make that an epilogue bonus campaign :p

Although I love the game as a whole, they really need to fix the enemies AI. Invisible lines still there, just run and hope you trigger next event without spawning more enemies.
The graphics were alright, sometimes it looks absolutely amazing, mostly the levels with Soap, but the Ramirez levels were a bit low textured, clearly not as well as the Soap levels.

Gonna try online later tonight. Bayonetta arrived just when I finished the game.

Great Timing!:D

Morph-0 said:
As for the airport scene -
what the hell is the challenge in
shooting those civilians? requires a lot of skill that wow Infinity Ward :s
no one else could have thought of that.
To me its seems to have
only been included to stir controversy and help sell the game.

Do you really think the put that in to sell the game? As if they need to put anything in for it to sell!

It's a major turning point in the story. Plus, going from the previous mission to this, was such a turn around emotionally. My wife called up whilst I was on that mission and I said to her that I couldn't believe what I was doing and seeing!

Got about 3 hours in last night with some friends. Overall it really does take some time to get used to and I think we all feel the streaks could end up being a bit too much.

Outside of that is anyone else a bit upset that IW did not nab the "Leave with Party" option the host had in WAW? I can not believe we are back to yelling out "BACK OUT" when you want to regroup your party. So that is a big WTF for us.

Also happy you can use party chat in ground war.. Love the maps and weapons so far.

MarkMclovin said:
Do you really think the put that in to sell the game? As if they need to put anything in for it to sell!

Why run ads for the game then? Why all the promotions? The games going to sell right? It's all hype building to push the game and try to push more sales out the game than the previous iteration. Controversy draws in more attention, more hype, more curious purchases.

The whole scene is so over the top.

Something I was thinking about last night at the midnight release.
Random reloading animation.
Not for just this game. In general for FPS. Now its one for each weapon. They provably did a bunch before deciding which to stick with. They could just add them all and make the character do one of them in random. Same amount of time of course. One of those little things.
Or not random. One for crouching, one for standing up etc.

-PXG-

Tenkai Star said:
Something I was thinking about last night at the midnight release.
Not for just this game. In general for FPS. Now its one for each weapon. They provably did a bunch before deciding which to stick with. They could just add them all and make the character do one of them in random. Same amount of time of course. One of those little things.
Or not random. One for crouching, one for standing up etc.

I'm not in the military, but I think soldiers are trained to reload their weapon a specific way, every single time. Sure, it would look cool, but it wouldn't be accurate to how it is in real-life.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
The matchmaking system on PC isnt bad at all, 3 hours of playing and it's been pretty damn great. Nothing to stupidly boycott about.

ultron87

-PXG- said:
I'm not in the military, but I think soldiers are trained to reload their weapon a specific way, every single time. Sure, it would look cool, but it wouldn't be accurate to how it is in real-life.

And technically most of the guns have 2 reload animations already. One for when you reload a partial clip and one for when you totally emptied your clip (where they have to cock the gun to get a bullet in the chamber).

So...nothing has changed with Infinity Ward's single player formula - can't say i'm too pleased by that, I was already sick of COD's linear, scripted-event driven, war movie pastiching single player 2 COD's ago - oh well, it's the multiplayer I bought this for. Had a quick go, I love the Flavella level - haven't had a chance to check the others out yet, but hopefully there's a lot of variety between them.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
-PXG- said:

All that matters is that it looks cool. I've never been shot but I'm sure I won't get raspberry jam in my eyes if I do. However, it looks cool. So...

smik

3rd person playlist is the best thing IW have put into MW2!

its really amazing how it changes up the gameplay with the third person view and funny enough it actually becomes really tactical, played with 3 friends (4v4) and we had a ball boys came to the conclusion that this will be the playlist will be on the most.

playing in TPV playlist wes found that the game slows down the multiplayer chaos to a more manageable speed, firefight and flanking becomes the most important aspect along with communicating

i can really see 3rd person mode gaining a respectable chunk of the onliners (20%), but im really loving this playlist atm.

Draft

-PXG- said:
They're also trained to not fire akimbo pistols or to drop nuclear bombs on their own heads.

-PXG- said:
I was in the military (seargeant) and I sure as hell did not have a specific way of reloading. depends on a lot.
And I am pretty sure none of my officers ever taught us to reload by knocking away the empty clip with the new clip :lol

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
If you're 17 you can buy an M-rated game right? I don't want to go into EB Games and get denied :(
I might just go to Wal-Mart instead

Almak

MarkMclovin said:

It's a major turning point in the story. Plus, going from the previous mission to this, was such a turn around emotionally. My wife called up whilst I was on that mission and I said to her that I couldn't believe what I was doing and seeing!
Just went through it and I was actually surprised by how little impact it had on me. Even more so considering my Russian heritage.
Though I suppose it was mainly due to the fact that it didn't really feel "genuine". May be its just the fact that all the civilians you end up killing are in their mid 30s/40s. There are no children or elderly (not saying there should be, of course). I caught myself on more than one occasion going through actually finishing off the wounded and people attempting to hide. The only thing that was a bit unexpected was the very ending.
It just didn't click with me as profoundly as say the post nuke sequence of MW1. The shock of the moment just wasn't there. Don't know. May be I'm just a horrible person.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DaCocoBrova said:
I don't see how anyone could not like the campaign in either game. You know the game is heavily scripted going in, so outside of that, there's not much to complain about other than the pacing and non-cohesive story. It's a fun ride. Enjoy it.
I'm not sure what it is about the game that bugs me, but it always felt so limited and shallow to the point that I had a difficult time enjoying the scenarios. The sneaking bits in CoD4, for instance, had a lot of potential, but ultimately boiled down to following a script. I never felt as if you could tackle scenarios in a free form manner.

I feel that the best shooters are those which can offer freedom within linearity. That is, they provide a clear progression line through the game while allowing plenty of freedom along that path. Crysis was exceptional at this. The world was massive and open, but the game was still quite linear. This allowed for great pacing without sacrificing freedom. Even something like Uncharted 2, with its fairly tight quarters, offered the player a lot of flexibility within each of its scenarios while keeping the pace up.

Sandbox games never offer the same level of polish as dedicated shooters while script fests allow absolutely no freedom. Finding that balance is key. Modern Warfare really didn't significantly evolve the model beyond what they did with Medal of Honor Allied Assault in 2002.

They'd have to be careful with the timing to make this work, I think, or else it could become frustrating. Still, that's kind of a cool idea.

Guenther

Hanmik said:
that´s the same port I told you to forward to... but make sure your PS3 has a static IP adress.. and forward the ports to that adress..

But I just read the official IW forums.. damn the PS3 version has lots of problems..

- Trophies do not appear.. but some say the trophies appear after some time.. after you have played the game and did not recieve any trophies.. you should just wait some time, and start the game again. And then when you get a new trophy all th eother trophies should appear.. (don´t know if it is true, just read it)

- Online is Bugged.. lag, Strict NAT for many players, gameinvites don´t work.

and some other small bugs...

I REALY hope IW is fast and patch the problems ASAP .. not like the PS3 version of COD4:MW. Where it took them forever to patch it, and the patch only helped some people..
Damn, not this shit all over again :< I think I´ll wait a couple of weeks (or months?). Finally my big backlog comes in handy *g*

ultron87 said:
And technically most of the guns have 2 reload animations already. One for when you reload a partial clip and one for when you totally emptied your clip (where they have to cock the gun to get a bullet in the chamber).
hah, didn't think of that. Nice touch. Lots of games they always cock it. But I usually cocked the gun even if I had ammo left. When you are used to do it, you end up always doing it.

"Ca-chuck" whops better pick that up before a kid finds it.

K2Valor said:
If you're 17 you can buy an M-rated game right? I don't want to go into EB Games and get denied :(
I might just go to Wal-Mart instead
Yep. When I pre-ordered from Best Buy, I had to show ID, and the lady was fine with it.

For whatever reason, even if you're 17, you still can't download M-rated stuff over XBL. :(

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
For all the controversy that
airport scene
created, the music playing in the background was badass

Same thing for me was the Black Cats mission in W@W, good music to that set-piece

Enosh

you know I am suprised with steam
the most popular game this year, some 1 week on the torrents and still not cracked
steam killed day 1 piracy of MW2, that is going to be potentialy big for developers since it's one of things they hate the most (atleast that's what relic said a few days ago, aperantly quite some people go out and buy the game if they can't play it on day 1)

and looks like I'll play it tommorow already, gotta love the flu among proffesors :D

DoomGyver

Enosh said:
you know I am suprised with steam
the most popular game this year, some 1 week on the torrents and still not cracked
steam killed day 1 piracy of MW2, that is going to be potentialy big for developers since it's one of things they hate the most (atleast that's what relic said a few days ago, aperantly quite some people go out and buy the game if they can't play it on day 1)

and looks like I'll play it tommorow already, gotta love the flu among proffesors :D
Loads of people pirated the 360 version.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
GraveRobberX said:
For all the controversy that
airport scene
created, the music playing in the background was badass

Same thing for me was the Black Cats mission in W@W, good music to that set-piece
Bad ass as in it made you feel like a bad ass, or bad ass as in it heightened the moment's drama?

Not having played the scene, I can only hope that their intent wasn't to make you feel like a badass in that moment.

GodofWine

Guenther said:
Damn, not this shit all over again :< I think I´ll wait a couple of weeks (or months?). Finally my big backlog comes in handy *g*

Its working fine for me and my friends this morning on PS3 (yes..we are all 'sick' and home from work today :D)

I didn't play at all last night, just decided to get the game at midnight and sleep.

Connectivity issues on day one....NO WAY!!! :lol

ultron87

So despite how sad I was at seeing a bunch of people buy them, I have to ask: any Night Vision Goggle impressions? I just wanna know if it was a giant rip off or actually somewhat cool.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
ultron87 said:
I think I saw at least 15-20 people buying Prestige editions last night. This saddened me.

I have no interest in the Prestige edition, but I can't shit on anyone that does. I have a Halo cat helmet in my office that I got day one. I think the last CE I got was Saint's Row 2, but I got it months after release for 20 bucks.

cameltoe

Bootaaay said:
So...nothing has changed with Infinity Ward's single player formula - can't say i'm too pleased by that, I was already sick of COD's linear, scripted-event driven, war movie pastiching single player 2 COD's ago - oh well, it's the multiplayer I bought this for. Had a quick go, I love the Flavella level - haven't had a chance to check the others out yet, but hopefully there's a lot of variety between them.

Thats my least fav map so far....Really dig highrise and Terminal

Raxus

Still can't believe they didn't reset our levels. People are already complaining of fighting a 46. If I had known for sure they weren't I would have leveled up higher. Next level I get the chopper gunner. Then nukes baby :D .

Top Bottom