• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Grecco

Toys r Us is giving 20 dollar gift cards with the game. But just the regular SKU. I kinda wanted the collectors edition for COD1. :(

El_TigroX said:
Did you guys see Michael McWhertor's lede on his Kotaku review?

Wow... I can't imagine a more cliched, terrible lede. With all due respect Michael, you had like 2 weeks to write this review and that's what you came up with? That made it past editing? Yikes...just boring, boring writing.
That's almost too boring for a hard news lead.

Sean

Banned
I just started the game and I already dislike the pacing. You go from the tutorial/training part right into a firefight with lots of screaming and yelling and shit. There's like no buildup or anything.

And that blood spatter effect is fucking annoying. It covers the whole screen and looks like someone smeared a bunch of jam/jelly all over my TV.

Dyno said:
Yup-yup! Are we forgetting COD4 MP issues? The first couple days I wasn't getting on and then it wouldn't save my character. I was losing levels for the first couple weeks.

I do remember that, that is usually why I will play through the campaign first, gives IW a few days to iron out the wrinkles

Weenerz

Banned
Only thing I don't like is the mobs melee so fast, it's like within 2 seconds he has already hit you twice, so there is really no chance of getting away and when you turn your back to see where your squad is, it could be deadly.

Well, theres also the issue of co-op spec ops, where you both have to separately turn on veteran or it won't count. Found that out the hard way, why wouldn't they just make it 1 option for both players?

ultron87

vehn said:
wow neogaf.net is blocked here (game playing category) but neogaf.com works fine

Yeah same thing here. neogaf.net is behind a "Sign in with your company ID to make sure you promise you won't do anything bad at this site" gate, while neogaf.com is free and open.

Bizarre.

FrankT

Sean said:
I just started the game and I already dislike the pacing. You go from the tutorial/training part right into a firefight with lots of screaming and yelling and shit. There's like no buildup or anything.

And that blood spatter effect is fucking annoying. It covers the whole screen and looks like someone smeared a bunch of jam/jelly all over my TV.

Why oh why did they think this was a smart move. Terrible.

Jtyettis said:
Why oh why did they think this was a smart move. Terrible.

I dont understand some of these decisions to make gameplay "more immersive"

how the fuck is obscuring my vision with Heinz 57 more immersive? If that happens IRL, I wipe the shit away and continue 'nade spamming :D

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Snowmobile section is NOFL 2 all over again. :lol

Trying to decide between playing campaign or multiplayer is tough.

great game so far, I haven't watched the video of the *controversial* scene/s but I know it has to do with an airport and other stuff (intentionally omitted so as not to spoil).

Jumped right into MP last night after playing around with NVG's....nvg's do feel a little cheap, very plastic-y but over i like the game. My one and only gripe. too many friggin attachments perks killstreaks (customizable sh*t in general). otherwise, it's a decent and solid game (aka effin awesome)

Az

I just think IW made a mistake changing the PS3 Invite to make you use the message system. COD4 was so easy and convenient.

KittyKittyBangBang said:
I dont understand some of these decisions to make gameplay "more immersive"

how the fuck is obscuring my vision with Heinz 57 more immersive? If that happens IRL, I wipe the shit away and continue 'nade spamming :D

hahaha

god damn blood spatter.

one shot(playing on Veteran) and all of a sudden I cant see shit. And the flashing indicator that shows where the shot is coming from is also red so you cant tell sometimes what the fuck is going on. Died so many fucking time on the first level manning the turret.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
I was up until 6 this morning playing online, and every map I played was amazingly well put together. Can't wait to put more time into it, but I can safely say it's one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played.

cameltoe

Coin Return said:
I was up until 6 this morning playing online, and every map I played was amazingly well put together. Can't wait to put more time into it, but I can safely say it's one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played.

WOW

ultron87

ExtraKr1spy said:
god damn blood spatter.

one shot(playing on Veteran) and all of a sudden I cant see shit. And the flashing indicator that shows where the shot is coming from is also red so you cant tell sometimes what the fuck is going on. Died so many fucking time on the first level manning the turret.

Yeah, I had a similar problem (first non-tutorial level spoiler)
after you get blown off the jeep. You're supposed to run inside the house, but I couldn't see the fucking "Follow" indicator because my screen was instantly covered in ooze. So I died about five times getting shot from 27 directions on that street until I figured it out.

I did enjoy the level after that though, even though it was nothing spectacular.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm interested in purchase this game.

I just worry that I might absolutely suck at this, my only experience with a shooter is Gears 2. :lol

Robot 492

Banned
Kave_Man said:
I'm interested in purchase this game.

I just worry that I might absolutely suck at this, my only experience with a shooter is Gears 2. :lol
Call of Duty is a really easy game to pick up. You'll be fine.

cresto

I'm in class trying to pay attention for my project and I can't stop my leg from bouncing. I am so fucking ready to go buy this game and become a hermit for the next 2 days or so!!

Ahhhh speed up time!

ultron87

nskinnear said:
Call of Duty is a really easy game to pick up. You'll be fine.

This is also the best possible time to pick up the game. Plenty of people who have either never played CoD or stopped playing a year and a half ago will be playing multiplayer now. In a few months you'll be back to playing mostly against experienced folks.

TruHero

Banned
El_TigroX said:
Did you guys see Michael McWhertor's lede on his Kotaku review?

Wow... I can't imagine a more cliched, terrible lede. With all due respect Michael, you had like 2 weeks to write this review and that's what you came up with? That made it past editing? Yikes...just boring, boring writing.

Overall, I thought it was a great review.

Barrett2

Played the first hour or so, up through the airport. Pretty good so far. Playing on Hardened difficulty setting is a bitch, gonna take a while to get back into the swing of things.

Dyno said:
Edge gave it a high mark. They tend to be very critical and will dock points if a game is same old - same old. This bodes well, I think.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/review-modern-warfare-2

Reading review, I don't really see anything that points the game out as really doing anything new or big leap from the last game, and even kinda say it's samey in aspects, yet they shit over other game sequels for not doing anything new.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
ultron87 said:
This is also the best possible time to pick up the game. Plenty of people who have either never played CoD or stopped playing a year and a half ago will be playing multiplayer now. In a few months you'll be back to playing mostly against experienced folks.

Good point, I think I'm going to try to pick this up at lunch.
I hope

PowderedToast

the campaign in this game has been the opposite of enjoyable for me, i can't stand how the levels are designed. for the record ive played around 20 minutes of cod4 and none of WAW. glad i only rented it.

The Chef

Gary Whitta said:
I'm going to wander out to Best Buy when they open in an hour to see if they have any copies left after last night's midnight madness...

Same here. Im positive between Best Buy, Target and Walmart I'll be fine.

kuYuri

Y2Kev said:
Does every Gamestop have lots of extra copies? Cause I am pretty pissed at Amazon. I will not be shopping there again.

Sorry to hear that dude.

I'm in Yonkers (right above The Bronx) and my release date delivery copy already arrived in Jamaica, Queens. I should have it later on whenever the UPS worker comes.

PaNaMa

Banned
Hey,

Did anyone else get a bum manual in the MW2 pack? Mine is 9 plain white pages - 3 pages that have a few blurbs of generic text about the game, and everything else is the table of contents, blank notes page, and 3 more pages detailing xbox live and software agreement. The thing is, it's more like a mock up. There's no screenshots, no formatting, no art. No description about who you play, who you're fighting, vehicle controls, turret deployments, alternate fire - there is literally nothing in the manual.

No description of the online game modes, no mention of perks (not even what they are, let alone any hint the game contains them). Multiplayer aside, with all the additions to single player alone there's enough to write a book on. Very weird.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but there is a way around them disabling Party Chat in games. Just go to your Privacy settings and turn your voice communications to "Friends Only" that way you auto mute everyone and you can stay in your party chat during games.

cresto

OldJadedGamer said:
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but there is a way around them disabling Party Chat in games. Just go to your Privacy settings and turn your voice communications to "Friends Only" that way you auto mute everyone and you can stay in your party chat during games.
The other teammates you muted can still hear you though, right? So when you bring up how you fucked this ugly chick in the butt last night, the other people can hear you too??

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just completed the Single Player.. Pretty damn cool! But so damn short it took me 4 hours to complete it on Hardened :/

ergo said:
The other teammates you muted can still hear you though, right? So when you bring up how you fucked this ugly chick in the butt last night, the other people can hear you too??

No, only people on your friends list can hear you. This is what we used to do before Party Chat came out and it works out great except for when someone's random buddy joins that isn't on your list... then you can't hear them but oh well. We did it before, we'll do it again.

winnarps

ergo said:

Some of the funniest moments in COD4 multi came from when me and my friends would talk about random sexual conquests or drunken nights about town.

Others tended to chime in with their own stories or just result to name-calling. :lol

ultron87

PaNaMa said:
Hey,

Did anyone else get a bum manual in the MW2 pack? Mine is 9 plain white pages - 3 pages that have a few blurbs of generic text about the game, and everything else is the table of contents, blank notes page, and 3 more pages detailing xbox live and software agreement. The thing is, it's more like a mock up. There's no screenshots, no formatting, no art. No description about who you play, who you're fighting, vehicle controls, turret deployments, alternate fire - there is literally nothing in the manual.

No description of the online game modes, no mention of perks (not even what they are, let alone any hint the game contains them). Multiplayer aside, with all the additions to single player alone there's enough to write a book on. Very weird.

I'm pretty sure that's the actual manual. When I was driving back from getting the game last night my friend who came with me opened the game to look at the manual. I estimated a 10 page manual on the spot. Turns out I guessed one page too many.

Activision has never been one to have extensive manuals in their games, but you'd think with a game that is going to sell however many million copies they could at least do something with it besides the absolute basics. I guess it was too much to wish that they could pick up some of Blizzard's manual awesomeness.

Also, screw these new 360 DvD cases with holes cut out of them under the disc. So flimsy feeling.

bjscott05

PaNaMa said:
Hey,

Yeah the manual sucks. IW wants you to buy the strat guide I guess.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nafai1123 said:
4 hour campaign? Christ...
Does it still have infinitely respawning enemies with no AI?

Infinitely Respawning enemies = no, but there are still shed loads of them. :D

no AI = Most of the time. :lol

vehn

So did they ever reset the leaderboards / levels from people that got it early?

also are trophies still messed up for ps3?

Top Bottom