• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
You know the Campaign made me think... Gonna spoiler it all

Russia attacks US. Now, in US many of us think no one is ever going to attack us, but the game actually made me think about it and it's very, very possible. Kinda shocked me, didn't think it would.

The ending of the airport mission is a pivotal point to the plot as well, so it isn't an useless mission

ultron87

glaurung said:
Every time someone pays full price for the Prestige edition, Bobby Kotick rapes a kitten.

I was somewhat assuaged by the fact that the Best Buy I was at had giant piles of Band Hero sets and DJ Hero Renegade editions (though I fully support DJ Hero normal edition). Hopefully those piles remain forever.

Dyno

GodofWine said:
Connectivity issues on day one....NO WAY!!! :lol

Yup-yup! Are we forgetting COD4 MP issues? The first couple days I wasn't getting on and then it wouldn't save my character. I was losing levels for the first couple weeks.

Picked it up this morning. I'm not surprised with the SP complaints, though I won't take them to heart. COD SP has a very particular style. They are best when played fast and furious. This makes them good for multiple runs. People are complaining about the 'shocking' scripted events but that's also par for the course. Nobody does it quite like IW. If you like what they do then I'm sure you'll have no compliants.

I'm in two missions, and SP is good so far. I was underwhelmed by the first mission, but the second (snow) mission was a hell of a lot of fun. Too bad I had already seen so many videos of it...

MP, on the other hand, will ruin my life, transcript, and eyesight. It is ALL KINDS of awesome. The maps are, for the most part, terrific.

Mr Spliff

El_TigroX said:
I get the reference.
In the cut scene before the airport mission you see a guy's body (presumably your characters) and he's getting tattoos put on him. I instantly thought of Eastern Promises. I think they dropped the ball a bit in that they didn't explore that a bit more, but I thought the airport scene was effective. You participate in a massacre and then are scapegoated for it. I think the scene works.

i agree that how it ended was cool but I just think overall it could have had more impact with better narrative..............correction............... some narrative, there really wasn't any during that segment till the end. i find the most disturbing things are what you can imagine, not necessarily what is shown to you and that could have been both if they really wanted that effect with a little narrative. It felt more like a slideshow to me rather than a story sequence imho.

On another note, as a GTA fan for years, I don't get the controversy or the big deal of this segment. Seriously. You can do worse in other games which don't even warn you beforehand. The choice is there from the get go, chose your pleasure accordingly.

KiKaL

damn I'm going to give in, lets hope I can find this somewhere on my lunch break since I didn't pre-order. I will be able to go into a store and find it today right? Or is tomorrow the real day? I always get so confused.

mYm|17|

KiKaL said:
damn I'm going to give in, lets hope I can find this somewhere on my lunch break since I didn't pre-order. I will be able to go into a store and find it today right? Or is tomorrow the real day? I always get so confused.

I am pretty sure you can just walk in and get a copy :D

KiKaL

Awesome thanks, I feel so guilty buying this having borderlands currently and l4d2 coming...but I just keep telling myself that I might as well get it now because judging by most COD's it will stay full priced for a long time.

Does anyone know if UPS is working tomorrow? More than likely I'm going to be at work when the UPS truck comes to my house, so I'm thinking about picking this up at best buy and then returning my unopened Amazon copy to BB...

I hate to quote myself but this thread is moving fast and I figured that someone has to know the answer to my question.

TruHero

Banned
Went to the midnight launch last night, played for about 2.5hrs after, and I'm tired as fuck this morning. Totally worth it.:D

I can easily see myself playing MW2 until MW3. Fucking awesome game, great graphics, superb audio....can't wait 'til the workday is over.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
I hate to quote myself but this thread is moving fast and I figured that someone has to know the answer to my question.

From UPS said:
UPS 2009 Holiday Schedule
In the United States, UPS observes the following holidays:

Memorial Day - May 25, 2009*
Independence Day - July 4, 2009*
Labor Day - September 7, 2009*
Thanksgiving Day - November 26, 2009*
Day after Thanksgiving - November 27, 2009**
Christmas Day - December 25, 2009*
New Year's Eve - December 31, 2009**
New Year's Day - January 1, 2010*

In addition, the following holidays are recognized, but not observed:

Martin Luther King Jr. Day - January 19, 2009
Lincoln's Birthday - February 12, 2009
Valentine's Day - February 14, 2009
President's Day - February 16, 2009
Washington's Birthday - February 16, 2009
Ash Wednesday - February 25, 2009
St. Patrick's Day - March 17, 2009
Passover - April 9, 2009
Good Friday - April 10, 2009
Flag Day - June 14, 2009
Rosh Hashanah - September 19, 2009
Yom Kippur - September 28, 2009
Columbus Day - October 12, 2009
Veteran's Day - November 11, 2009
Hanukkah - December 12, 2009
Christmas Eve - December 24, 2009***

So, yes, they are working tomorrow.

ultron87 said:
So despite how sad I was at seeing a bunch of people buy them, I have to ask: any Night Vision Goggle impressions? I just wanna know if it was a giant rip off or actually somewhat cool.

I'd like to know as well. Halo 3 ruined mega editions for me, but I want to know just how shitty those night vision goggles are.

EDIT: ^^^ Thanks.

Calcaneus

Heh, on the radio today there was already talk about a new video game violence controversy coming from this game. So, it has begun?

I don't really care how long the campaign is as long as it's good. I don't really have time to play long campaigns anyway. Besides, the MP is what gives games like this there staying power.

ALeperMessiah said:
I'd like to know as well. Halo 3 ruined mega editions for me, but I want to know just how shitty those night vision goggles are.

EDIT: ^^^ Thanks.
I have the NVGs. They're not bad, but they're not great either. Image is quite blurry but they work enough to walk around in the pitch black. I've nothing else to compare them with, maybe if I'd tried an expensive pair first I'd call them complete rubbish but they perform as I expected them to.

Lyonaz

RubxQub said:
Bad ass as in it made you feel like a bad ass, or bad ass as in it heightened the moment's drama?

Not having played the scene, I can only hope that their intent wasn't to make you feel like a badass in that moment.

To me the music made me feel uncomfortable, I think that was the purpose of it.

-PXG-

Meta tag is made. PM me your gamertags and I will add you to the friend's list.

Gotta go for now. I will be back later to add those who PM in the mean time.

ultron87

micromagic said:
I have the NVGs. They're not bad, but they're not great either. Image is quite blurry but they work enough to walk around in the pitch black. I've nothing else to compare them with, maybe if I'd tried an expensive pair first I'd call them complete rubbish but they perform as I expected them to.

Did you stalk a few people through a park or something as a test run?

Also, do they make the "night vision goggle sound" when you turn them on?

sullytao

Just seen IGN and Gametrailers review. I agree with them on every part except the story. I personally think the story is amazing and well presented. In a first person shooter games seeing the plot unfold through your point of view is much more engaging than watching it through a cutscene.

IGN UK also say they think the story is poorly put together and confusing again I disagree. All of this is ofcourse my personal opinion but I thought it flows very well with buildup and tension for some of the games big surprises. The characters are very likable and feel real. It helps that there all voice acted by very competant and talented people (Keith David is a legend :D).

All in all I loved every second of the campaign. Its not very long but the campaign itself has plenty of replay value and more than its fair share of hell yeah moments.

sullytao said:
Just seen IGN and Gametrailers review. I agree with them on every part except the story. I personally think the story is amazing and well presented. In a first person shooter games seeing the plot unfold through your point of view is much more engaging than watching it through a cutscene.

IGN UK also say they think the story is poorly put together and confusing again I disagree. All of this is ofcourse my personal opinion but I thought it flows very well with buildup and tension for some of the games big surprises. The characters are very likable and feel real. It helps that there all voice acted by very competant and talented people (Keith David is a legend :D).

All in all I loved every second of the campaign. Its not very long but the campaign itself has plenty of replay value and more than its fair share of hell yeah moments.

The only problem is the final score didn't seem to take into effect that they were ragging on the story.

Room-mate has the 360 version. Didn't like the campaign at first but it keeps getting better and better. It lives up to the hype as much as anyone could reasonably expect it to really.

Captain N

amstradcpc said:
Those problems only count on other games.

not games they have ADs plastered all over their site with..is that what you're trying to say?

Gametrailers.com

Story l 8.5

Design l 9.6

Gameplay l 9.2

Presentation l 9.8

Final Score l 9.5

ultron87 said:
Did you stalk a few people through a park or something as a test run?

Also, do they make the "night vision goggle sound" when you turn them on?
It did cross my mind, there is a park across from where I live, but I'd likely get set upon by a bunch of druggies.

No they don't make that sound, I was miffed they didn't and also by the fact for a £120 they couldn't throw in some batteries.

Yes, that´s what i am trying to say. With other game:

-story short
-story incoherent
-not enought innovation, samey
-AI scripted
-not enough free roaming.
-too gamey.
-multiplayer: an update.
-graphics: the best of PS3, but what ?.

marks:

-single player 80
-multiplayer 85
-innovation 70

OVERALL 72

Come on! if even COD WAW had a better campaign and had much lower scores!.

Bu the way, respect for Eurogamer up and increasing...

The Chef

Seems pretty crazy that a game with a 4-5 hour campaign with a mediocre, incoherent story can still score 9.5's.
Eh whatever, goin to pick up my copy.

Arhal_Katarn

Started the sp earlier today and just finished Pvt Ramirez's first mission. I don't think its gripping me like COD4 did but it is still fun.

vehn

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Yeah, neogaf.com is blocked @ work, yet neogaf.net works perfectly fine. Silly, ain't it :lol

wow neogaf.net is blocked here (game playing category) but neogaf.com works fine

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Does every Gamestop have lots of extra copies? Cause I am pretty pissed at Amazon. I will not be shopping there again.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Did you guys see Michael McWhertor's lede on his Kotaku review?

Michael McWhertor said:
Sergeant Gary "Roach" Sanderson answers the call of duty in the highly charged Modern Warfare 2, developer Infinity Ward's immediate successor to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Wow... I can't imagine a more cliched, terrible lede. With all due respect Michael, you had like 2 weeks to write this review and that's what you came up with? That made it past editing? Yikes...just boring, boring writing.

Top Bottom