• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

see5harp

TheAzRim said:
I just think IW made a mistake changing the PS3 Invite to make you use the message system. COD4 was so easy and convenient.

It's a good decision as this should have been the standard from the beginning. When every game has a different system I think overall it makes it more confusing.

kuYuri

PaNaMa said:
Hey,

Did anyone else get a bum manual in the MW2 pack? Mine is 9 plain white pages - 3 pages that have a few blurbs of generic text about the game, and everything else is the table of contents, blank notes page, and 3 more pages detailing xbox live and software agreement. The thing is, it's more like a mock up. There's no screenshots, no formatting, no art. No description about who you play, who you're fighting, vehicle controls, turret deployments, alternate fire - there is literally nothing in the manual.

No description of the online game modes, no mention of perks (not even what they are, let alone any hint the game contains them). Multiplayer aside, with all the additions to single player alone there's enough to write a book on. Very weird.

Yep, this is how it is lately with Activision's games. Crappy manuals.

Zzoram

MW2 singleplayer is up to 35,000 and multiplayer at 22,000 on Steam concurrent as a peak (so probably more than that in unique users, unless everyone who got the game played at the same time, there should be 2 major groups, the midnight people and the early morning people).

Those are all retail copies because no other digital store is selling it and the Steam version doesn't unlock for over 2 days.

PaNaMa

Banned
Wow. It's the worst game booklet I have ever seen in my life. It does't even deserve to be called a game booklet, or manual. If I was IW I'd be ashamed of this tbh. Maybe it's Activision's doing?

God I hate the friendly AI in this game.
They almost always cross in front of my fire - I felt bad the first 2 times I did it, like "oh no!".. but after the 10th or so time, I stopped caring and stabbed them my damn self to ensure they're out of my way.

Worthless fucks.

There were also moments when I'm taking cover behind an object... maybe 2 feet behind it, and some dumbass decides to take cover between me and the object. Good call, asshole, now I don't have a shot! :|

Struct09

PaNaMa said:
Wow. It's the worst game booklet I have ever seen in my life. It does't even deserve to be called a game booklet, or manual. If I was IW I'd be ashamed of this tbh. Maybe it's Activision's doing?

The Modern Warfare: Reflex manual is quite pathetic too.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
PaNaMa said:

Activision are credited for the manual design in the credits.. So I assume it was their doing.

OldJadedGamer said:
No, only people on your friends list can hear you. This is what we used to do before Party Chat came out and it works out great except for when someone's random buddy joins that isn't on your list... then you can't hear them but oh well. We did it before, we'll do it again.

Is there a similar option on the ps3? I hate it when I join a lobby and all you hear is obscenities and the sound of obnoxious kids blaring through my speakers.

bjscott05 said:
Yeah the manual sucks. IW wants you to buy the strat guide I guess.
Yeah, and while they are two different genres Biowares one for Dragons Age brought a smile to my face. It reminded me of the old days of Gaming where a manual could be more than a control layout and explain how the game worked and even how concepts in the game worked (Civilization, Colonization, and Alpha Centauri). Granted, FPS's are different, but still this four page crap is just really annoying. I loved the one for Deus Ex which integrated plot elements as a separate sheet. Battlezone also did a really great job making the game manual exist as in game document (same with Fallout 1 and 2). Sierria's City Buiding Games are another great example: Zeus, Pharaoh, but with Emperor than went down the full manual as a PDF.

Sorry I've just been meaning to rant about the brevity of instruction manuals these days and this provided a good opportunity. :)

PaNaMa said:

It's a fucking manual, lighten up. With the internet they don't need to be all that much, just give me the controls and I'll go online if I'm interested in character backstories, multiplayer modes, and all that other bullshit.

ultron87 said:
Also, screw these new 360 DvD cases with holes cut out of them under the disc. So flimsy feeling.

I hate those, Operation Flashpoint came in one and at first I though the game was missing from it. Luckily Borderlands came in a real game case.

Haha literally last minute order to amazon with free super shipper but my order was already sent and I can expect it 2 or 3 days, I love amazon :D

cresto

Ok, I'm off on my conquest to get it at Toys'R'Us. I've already mapped out 2 locations in case the first doesn't have it. Gotta get my moneys!!! Plan to be on MP around 11 pfc. Any cali people down to play add: FREIGHT TRAIN68 for XBL :)

Did anyone else have to turn off the game in the
airport mission
?

Geez that was a little heart wrenching to watch even in a video game.

I'll pick it up again tonight, but man, that was terrible. I understand that happens and that its gritty realism, but it still had quite an effect on me. Anyone else get kind of sick to their stomach?

Blair

Banned
So far, Headquarters Pro is my favourite mp mode. Its such a blast when every person in the game just rushes to one tiny little room.

I just opened up my CoD4 manual for the first time ever to check (do the majority of people actually read the manual for an FPS? I check the control options in game and then go, figured that was pretty common), and it is exactly like what you guys are describing in this one. Were you outraged about it two years ago as well?

Hope mine comes in the mail soon, I have that itch to play multi. Gonna go on CoD4 and see if there's any dregs still in the bottom of the glass.

EDIT: Only 23k people online....farewell sweet prince.

X26

Banned
Went last night expecting only a few people and there was close to 300, never again!

Haven't touched the SP yet but have spent ~4hrs doing MP. Getting the hang of it since it feels noticeably different from cod4 at frist but it's been a fun sofar. Maps are going to take a bit of getting used to but they're pretty good overall, although a lot of them are bit too camper friendly.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I was totally sucking at multiplayer last night. Woke up this morning to get a match in and did pretty well, 6 kill streak and some knife throws.

Think its all coming back to me. Have not played mw1 in a while so it took some time.

When you get in a groove in multiplayer the game feels sooo good.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I had a monster headache that lasted the whole of Sunday because I had a marathon on this game - it's been a while since I've done that, but I've never had that happen because of that though... :lol

I beat the Campaign on Veteran right from the start and got every single player Achievement yesterday - now, shooters are my number one thing, and I've beaten every shooter I own, especially the big titles on their hardest difficulty, but I gotta say that Veteran, should not be called Veteran - it should be called "Inhuman", or "Cheats On", or "One Man Army" because the instant you stick out anywhere, you are going to get pelted by anyone directly in front of you no matter how far they are, flanked by a seemingly-instant spawned enemy even though you checked your six just a second ago, and have your squad who are all in front of you get ignored and focus directly on you...

It's very, very doable if you have skills, no doubt, but it's yet another game that makes me appreciate Halo's A.I. - the enemies on Veteran don't feel real, they feel like robots with auto-aim unlike Halo's A.I. which still feels natural and react to what you do, to the point of even retreating...

Story-wise it was very, very entertaining - I got slightly spoiled about the "big scene" on GAF thanks to some moron, but even when I saw it, I wasn't shocked - but that's how I am, I'm not sensitive to these kind of things at all in games - other friends of mine that saw it definitely were though...

The things that go down were done in a entertaining way, makes me feel like I was watching a blockbuster movie - they really nailed it in that sense and went above anything I could expect from them - kudos to IW for this, and the huge range of areas you visit in the Campaign was well appreciated...

Multiplayer is a fucking blast - I love that I'm thinking about how to come up with a few ideal setups, and which perks to level up as well as which gun to level up as well - love it, love it...

Spec Ops is a blast as well, I'm more than half-way done, all on Veteran, and some have been pretty challenging thus far too, and I'm curious to see how the last few pan out...

All in all, I'd say that the game is a winner in my book, all of my friends, including some I haven't played with in a while are all over it, and we're all teaming up for MP practically every night for it...

...but ooooooooh man did I forget how much of a camp-fest COD is - none of the other big shooters that I mainly play have it so prominently, and people were sure to remind me in this game about 2 nights ago in one match... :lol

AC!D

Any news yet whether this game will have detailed stat tracking (ala Halo 2/3 and WaW?) for multiplayer? Anyone know what the rumoured intergration with iphone and Facebook will be?

Thanks

Zzoram

MThanded said:
I was totally sucking at multiplayer last night. Woke up this morning to get a match in and did pretty well, 6 kill streak and some knife throws.

Think its all coming back to me. Have not played mw1 in a while so it took some time.

When you get in a groove in multiplayer the game feels sooo good.

More likely, the hardest core players were all playing at midnight so you just weren't as good as them.

Sean

Banned
Major Williams said:
airport mission
?

I'll pick it up again tonight, but man, that was terrible. I understand that happens and that its gritty realism, but it still had quite an effect on me. Anyone else get kind of sick to their stomach?

Maybe I'm a sick bastard, but not at all. I was more distracted by the fact that there was only like 3 character models repeated for the entire
airport (civilians). It must have been dress like a twin day or something

Seeing shit like this is just lazy IMO (spoiler warning): http://b5.s3.quickshareit.com/img_20732652a.jpg

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Relix said:
I just got a lost connection to host...

After 3 pretty crappy maps. Jesus not liking the MP at ALL!
Pack it up man. Trade the game in :lol :lol

Zzoram said:
More likely, the hardest core players were all playing at midnight so you just weren't as good as them.
I was thinking that too. I was always getting out manuevered but also everyone seemed to have great equipment and perks already. Once I could make my custom load out and got throwing knives it was on.

Major Williams said:
airport mission
?

Felt nothing here. Thought it was pretty well done though.

Arhal_Katarn

Major Williams said:
airport mission
?

No i did not find it disturbing at all, after all the hype about it was quite a let down. So i shot a few civilians? I was undercover in a terrorist group at the time trying not to blow my cover. BTW i do not know if not shooting them will blow your cover excuse me if i am wrong. And i in no way advocate shooting up airports buts its only a game and who hasn't done worse shit in GTA?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
MThanded said:

I was thinking that too. I was always getting out manuevered but also everyone seemed to have great equipment and perks already. Once I could make my custom load out and got throwing knives it was on.

Nah just giving it a chance :lol MW clicked on me immediately with the Beta. WAW took its time... but this.. hmm... can't put my finger on it =(

Raxus

MThanded said:

Multiplayer in CoD takes time to really enjoy. You have to learn the maps, what perks/guns you like (Hell I am 46 and still trying to figure out which SMG is for me), and you have to level up to earn your stuff. I really hit my stride once I FINALLY earned Cold Blooded.

It also really doesn't help the default load outs suck this time around and a bunch of important weapons aren't unlocked until you get so far into the MP game (I am looking at you stinger missle).

CrazedArabMan said:
I hate those, Operation Flashpoint came in one and at first I though the game was missing from it. Luckily Borderlands came in a real game case.

And, sadly, even the "real" cases are cheap as shit. Has anyone compared modern cases to last-gen's? Those last-gen ones are hard as hell. You could stand on them and not harm the DVD. Not so this gen.

Anyway, <3 this game. I'm up to
right after the "Burger King"
stage about an hour or two in. Haven't played online yet.

dakster

Neo Member
Played a couple of hours now, multiplayer just seems hectic as hell. I only play free for all, not bad at it, finishing second quite a lot. Will have to try some other modes, what are peoples favourites?

When playing cod 4 i run it through my onkyo amp using sennheiser headphones and can hear people no problem, directional sound is very good. MW2 though is nowhere near as good, i'm hearing opponents when they're nearly on top of me now, has anybody else noticed this?

ultron87

The default Sniper loadout seems insane to me.

First, the first rifle unlocked is the Barret .50 Cal, which was the last one in the previous game. Second, it has a heartbeat sensor attached. I dunno about you, but that does not seem like the most useful sniper rifle attachment.

I at least can see how tactical insertion is a good grenade for snipers.

Arhal_Katarn said:
No i did not find it disturbing at all, after all the hype about it was quite a let down. So i ***** I was undercover in a terrorist group at the time trying not to blow my cover **** only a game and who hasn't done worse shit in GTA?

You might want to spoiler tag your spoiler you tool. Not everyone has watched the vids or played yet.

Raxus

ultron87 said:
The default Sniper loadout seems insane to me.

First, the first rifle unlocked is the Barret .50 Cal, which was the last one in the previous game. Second, it has a heartbeat sensor attached. I dunno about you, but that does not seem like the most useful sniper rifle attachment.

I at least can see how tactical insertion is a good grenade for snipers.
Detect enemy coming. Switch to shotgun, shoot enemy. Go about your day.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So a friend and me are always inviting each other and every time when we accept the invite we get 'The game session you were invited to is no longer valid... '

what are we doing wrong?? (it's the ps3 version btw)

Just completed Tag Em and Bag Em or whatever.
So far I'm in love. Everything awesome about MW but tighter.

Can't wait to play more tonight.

Also Veteran is "holy shit easy" at points. This game's got nothin' on COD2. Atleast not yet.

Kingsora said:
So a friend and me are always inviting each other and every time when we accept the invite we get 'The game session you were invited to is no longer valid... '

what are we doing wrong?? (it's the ps3 version btw)

wait. so both of you are sending out invites. both of you are accepting it. meaning both of you leaving your own game for another?

hahaha. jk. There's a problem with invites since someone on my friend list asked me if i was having that same problem

PaNaMa

Banned
ALeperMessiah said:
It's a fucking manual, lighten up. With the internet they don't need to be all that much, just give me the controls and I'll go online if I'm interested in character backstories, multiplayer modes, and all that other bullshit.

In all bleeping fairness, IW shouted time and again how the COD campaign experience is designed and focused on single player. The player who doesn't necesasrily play games online. The player who s not necessarily connected to the internet. IW said this, in videos and interviews etc.

It's their whole reason for not putting coop in campaign mode - to not jeopardize the single player, loner experience.

So *if* I'm one of the millions and millions IW claims who buys this game for that experience - that sad excuse for a booklet reflects very poorly on the company who's game I just bought for $80. As it turns out, it's Activision who is sucking the donkey nuts here but IW is the one who looks cheap because of it.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
DMPrince said:
wait. so both of you are sending out invites. both of you are accepting it. meaning both of you leaving your own game for another?

hahaha. jk. There's a problem with invites since someone on my friend list asked me if i was having that same problem
Wait so I can't play with my friends now? That's fucking retarded...

Picked up the hardened edition. Steelbook case is really nice; glad I bought one.

If anybody wants a download code for CoD: Classic, shoot me a PM. I'm not interested in the game.

Edit - 360 version.

Struct09 said:
The Modern Warfare: Reflex manual is quite pathetic too.
The one I got in the hardened edition was like 4 pages minus the front and back cover.. :|

Seriously, I have seen better booklets coming with my Genesis and Super Nintendo games. This is just pitiful.

Top Bottom