• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Kingsora said:
Wait so I can't play with my friends now? That's fucking retarded...
Please take no offense as this isn't really directed at you, but I always laugh at the phrase "play with my friends." It makes me feel like I'm five years old, playing in the sandbox or something. :lol

I say it too. I mean what else are we supposed to say? I just think it sounds funny.

PaNaMa said:
In all bleeping fairness, IW shouted time and again how the COD campaign experience is designed and focused on single player. The player who doesn't necesasrily play games online. The player who s not necessarily connected to the internet. IW said this, in videos and interviews etc.

It's their whole reason for not putting coop in campaign mode - to not jeopardize the single player, loner experience.

So *if* I'm one of the millions and millions IW claims who buys this game for that experience - that sad excuse for a booklet reflects very poorly on the company who's game I just bought for $80. As it turns out, it's Activision who is sucking the donkey nuts here but IW is the one who looks cheap because of it.

Again, it's just a manual. Almost every manual this gen has been that way. While you make like your manuals 90% of people don't even crack them open, which is why developers now push tutorial levels on us. The world has passed the instruction manual by, I don't miss it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Last night me and 2 buds had a hell of a time getting a game together. We'd get into a room together and then when we were matched with opponents one would randomly be dropped. Back out, then he can't join my room. So then one of THEM would have to remake the room and invite the two of us. Etc etc etc.

~~~

Also, last night at 1AM PST there was already 750,000 people on the MP leaderboards. How many now?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Can someone explain the party system to me on 360. When the party leader backs out the the other people have to come by themselves its not automatic correct. Also, If you invite someone to your part through the dashboard there is no way to invite all of these people to your in game party. I wish they would integrate it a little better. Maybe I dont know what i am doing

TruHero

Banned
You know, I'm glad the mods/admins have kept the MW2-PC thread open. Keep all that anger there.

I can understand why the PC gamers are angry, but I'd rather not have them be Debbie Downers in this thread.

Sean

Banned
Damn I'm 1,060,111 on the multiplayer leaderboards (Xbox360 version). Game is a million seller already.

344,530 players online

MANGOD

Banned
On the back of the box it says "the return of the "definitive" multiplayer experience".

DID TURN 10 GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO USE "DEFINITIVE"
I THINK NOT!!!!11!!11!

Zzoram

Kosma said:
If I buy this retail on PC can I use the code on Steam?

Yes. It actually requires Steam. That's why the other digital stores are boycotting it, they don't like how the biggest game of 2009 is promoting their (superior) competitor.

Grecco

PaNaMa said:
In all bleeping fairness, IW shouted time and again how the COD campaign experience is designed and focused on single player. The player who doesn't necesasrily play games online. The player who s not necessarily connected to the internet. IW said this, in videos and interviews etc.

It's their whole reason for not putting coop in campaign mode - to not jeopardize the single player, loner experience.

So *if* I'm one of the millions and millions IW claims who buys this game for that experience - that sad excuse for a booklet reflects very poorly on the company who's game I just bought for $80. As it turns out, it's Activision who is sucking the donkey nuts here but IW is the one who looks cheap because of it.

This isnt exclusive to IW, or Activision or games released this month. Its been happening for years now.

Dax01 said:
Picked up the hardened edition. Steelbook case is really nice; glad I bought one.

If anybody wants a download code for CoD: Classic, shoot me a PM. I'm not interested in the game.

Edit - 360 version.

sent you a PM Dax.

Kosma

Banned
Zzoram said:
Yes. It actually requires Steam. That's why the other digital stores are boycotting it, they don't like how the biggest game of 2009 is promoting their (superior) competitor.

So I can just get the code and download it and never bothering opening the box?

I know this may be a bit early, but is there a summary of the new maps with where the good spots are etc. anywhere on the internet. Some of the maps are pretty big, and I'm running around like a headless chicken right now.

Just picked up the 360 version. I had it pre-ordered and paid off before the whole dedicated server debacle, but I wouldn't have canceled it anyway. To many friends going to be playing this to pass it up. So for all my bitching and moaning in the other thread Infinity Ward got my $60 anyway...

GasProblem said:
I know this may be a bit early, but is there a summary of the new maps with where the good spots are etc. anywhere on the internet. Some of the maps are pretty big, and I'm running around like a headless chicken right now.

I remember someone posted images of each map quite a few pages ago. I'll let you know if I find it.

Tadale

I got my copy from TRU a couple of hours ago; I wanted the hardened edition, but they only had the regular. Now I've got another five hours of classes and tests before I can finally go home and play.

unomas

Banned
Sean said:
Damn I'm 1,060,111 on the multiplayer leaderboards (Xbox360 version). Game is a million seller already.

344,530 players online

Wait what? It's 12:30pm central time here, don't people work??? I won't have my copy until Thursday if I'm lucky via Amazon. I went with the free shipping option which ususally gets to me in 2 days from Chicago.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
unomas said:
Wait what? It's 12:30pm central time here, don't people work???
You would be suprised at the amount of people that took off from work/school to play this. I decided to come in and work on a research proposal. Damn graduate school.

Zzoram

Steam Concurrent Users Playing in the past 24 hours

Current Peak
36,754 36,783 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
26,005 26,005 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer

Is this the only game where they split the singleplayer and multiplayer counter? I guess Crysis did too since they called their multiplayer Crysis Wars.

If this pattern follows the 360 where 1/3 the people are concurrently online as total on the leaderboard during the first day, then the PC retail version has at least hit 180,000. All versions will probably spike this evening though, when normal people play it.

Grecco

Tadale said:
I got my copy from TRU a couple of hours ago; I wanted the hardened edition, but they only had the regular. Now I've got another five hours of classes and tests before I can finally go home and play.

Yeah it freaking sucks i wanted that one too. I want COD Arcade :(

Kosma

Banned
Thanks for the answes, I got some shop offering it for 32 euro.

Zzoram said:
Steam Concurrent Users Playing in the past 24 hours

Current Peak
36,754 36,783 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
26,005 26,005 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer

Is this the only game where they split the singleplayer and multiplayer counter? I guess Crysis did too since they called their multiplayer Crysis Wars.

If this pattern follows the 360 where 1/3 the people are concurrently online as total on the leaderboard, then the PC retail version has at least hit 180,000.

worldwide...

I'm 4ish hours into campaign. Holy fucking shit. So far it's blowing Modern Warfare's campaign out of the water, and that's saying something.

I'm not touching MP until I'm at the credits. No way.

imtehman

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Just picked up the 360 version. I had it pre-ordered and paid off before the whole dedicated server debacle, but I wouldn't have canceled it anyway. To many friends going to be playing this to pass it up. So for all my bitching and moaning in the other thread Infinity Ward got my $60 anyway...

you and me both my friend, you and me both.

unomas

Banned
MThanded said:
You would be suprised at the amount of people that took off from work/school to play this. I decided to come in and work on a research proposal. Damn graduate school.

I guess so, that's amazing to me though, I'd be curious what Halo 3's day 1 numbers were, and this is just on Live so I wonder what the PS3 online numbers look like at the moment. Could this game be the biggest day 1 launch ever?

BattleMonkey said:
Reading review, I don't really see anything that points the game out as really doing anything new or big leap from the last game, and even kinda say it's samey in aspects, yet they shit over other game sequels for not doing anything new.
There are other games that are immune to that effect as well. Halo series for example.
If you want to give games high scores even when they don't do that much new and just improves please be consistent!

Zzoram

unomas said:
I guess so, that's amazing to me though, I'd be curious what Halo 3's day 1 numbers were, and this is just on Live so I wonder what the PS3 online numbers look like at the moment. Could this game be the biggest day 1 launch ever?

Probably if you add up all platforms. Halo 2 or 3 was something like 2.3 million in 1 day, while World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade was 2.4 million in 1 day. However, those games were only 1 platform.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
ALeperMessiah said:
Again, it's just a manual. Almost every manual this gen has been that way. While you make like your manuals 90% of people don't even crack them open, which is why developers now push tutorial levels on us. The world has passed the instruction manual by, I don't miss it.

Also, it is about pushing the strategy guide as well.

Zzoram

Tenkai Star said:
There are other games that are immune to that effect as well. Halo series for example.
If you want to give games high scores even when they don't do that much new and just improves please be consistent!

I think multiplayer focused games tend to get that pass, while singleplayer focused games tend to require more variety to maintain a score.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Sean said:
Maybe I'm a sick bastard, but not at all. I was more distracted by the fact that there was only like 3 character models repeated for the entire
airport (civilians). It must have been dress like a twin day or something

Seeing shit like this is just lazy IMO (spoiler warning): http://b5.s3.quickshareit.com/img_20732652a.jpg

Yeah, that was lame.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wowow, this game is truly fun! MP is really where it shines for me. I haven't even touched single-player yet. The progression of unlocking stuff is really cool. <3

Shame they fucked over us PS3 owners regarding the first two DLC packs, but oh well.

DMeisterJ said:
Wowow, this game is truly fun! MP is really where it shines for me. I haven't even touched single-player yet. The progression of unlocking stuff is really cool. <3

Shame they fucked over us PS3 owners regarding the first two DLC packs, but oh well.

what ;o

The
snowy base mission with the skimobile escape
was fucking AWESOME. I can't remember the last game that had me as pumped up as I was during that.

Grrrrrrrr with not being able to join a Hardcore game till I'm a higher rank. Now I have to eat at the kiddie table for a few hours. Sucks. I know COD4 was the same way but you should get a free pass if your previous save file is a 55 Gold Cross.

Regular team death match is killing me.

Personally, single player took 6 hours 50 minutes on regular. I took my time, I looked around.

Also, really enjoyed the visuals in some levels. The colours looked great.

Top Bottom