• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

So is the level that the game warns you about No Russian? Because holy shit if it isn't...

Also yes the packaging is hilariously crap. But think about it. This game is going to be printed millions of times. Millions. The amount of paper and plastic saved is huge. Sure, the cost saved lines Activision's pockets, but there is something to be said for not butchering the environment for a manual you'll never read.

A lady at the TRU I picked it up from was confused because of how flimsy the packaging is, thought it was a display only copy.

Zzoram

DMPrince said:
oh. what is the date of the DLC anyways?
It gives IW time to polish the DLC for ps3

They're maps, and they're probably already done and being held in reserve. I doubt they'd change a thing. I don't know the timing of releases.

Hixx

Wasn't a huge fan of CoD4, but man I'm addicted. Me and a mate have rushed through the first 4 Spec Ops things in the last 4 hours on veteran and I'm now well into the multiplayer. My eyes are frigging knacking :lol

Bit bummed about the PS3 trophy problems though :(

I havent played a COD game in awhile so right now im adjusting to the flow of the game. I kinda forgot about how hectic the battles can get, haha. Im really enjoying it thus far and am actually pretty impressed with the single player.

Will be playing lots of MP tonight.

MrPliskin

Banned
Zzoram said:
360 gets timed exclusive on first 2 map packs

Yea, good 'ol american dollar fucking up the videogame industry once again.

Jesus christ this is stupid...

I'm seriously done with the fucking practices this generation, Publishers (and the fucking money grubbing Sony / MS) have lost it and are ruining the industry.

Zzoram

MrPliskin said:

I'm seriously done with the fucking practices this generation, Publishers (and the fucking money grubbing Sony / MS) have lost it and are ruining the industry.

Timed exclusives are nothing to get your panties in a bunch over. Retailer exclusive pre-order items that you can't get in any other way are the only really bad practice. Nobody ordered LBP at 3 retailers to get all the exclusive costumes, but if you didn't do that, you'd be missing some cool ones.

soldat7

HixxSAFC said:
Wasn't a huge fan of CoD4, but man I'm addicted. Me and a mate have rushed through the first 4 Spec Ops things in the last 4 hours on veteran and I'm now well into the multiplayer. My eyes are frigging knacking :lol

This makes me happy. I really didn't like COD4.

careksims

God bless my friend. He's leaving for the Military in a couple days and he bought himself and me the Steam versions of the game. He won't be back for awhile so why not he says. *tears*

ALeperMessiah said:
Again, it's just a manual. Almost every manual this gen has been that way. While you make like your manuals 90% of people don't even crack them open, which is why developers now push tutorial levels on us. The world has passed the instruction manual by, I don't miss it.
I do! I am not a fan of tutorials. They are slow, they really do a terrible job of bringing you into the game and immersing you, but rather make you feel like a 2 year old where you are hoping around like an idiot looking for some fun in the 5ftx5ft pen with invisible walls you are fenced in. I don't mind them, but make the manual properly and make the tutorials skipable. I really did not need it in MW2.

goldsoundz said:
I was feeling too guilty to notice.
Yeah.

I turned off my box once I was using explosives to
break through riot police, after watching a man drag his bloody self across the floor.
Do people actually enjoy doing that in real life? That's fucked up...

MrPliskin said:

Hate to break it to you but this shits been going on for a lot longer then just this generation.

MrPliskin

Banned
Zzoram said:
Timed exclusives are nothing to get your panties in a bunch over. Retailer exclusive pre-order items that you can't get in any other way are the only really bad practice. Nobody ordered LBP at 3 retailers to get all the exclusive costumes, but if you didn't do that, you'd be missing some cool ones.

I think it is a big problem, because ultimately it sways buying decisions and corporate affiliations.

In the end, it just screws the consumer. Honestly, I am regretting getting the PS3 version (rather, getting this damn game at all). I just don't think it's the place of a Manufacturer to pen any deals (especially if monetary compensation is involved) in order to get a foot hold in market share. Hell, Activision has been very very close with Microsoft, and has been lambasting Sony for quite some time, and I find that disturbing givin the size of both Activision and Microsoft (and Sony's position).

I'm not for or against any publishers or manufacturers, however, I am against relationships like this as they can be detrimental to the industry.

While this one instance of exclusive DLC (timed or not) is not enough to crush the competition, continued practices like this ultimately hurt market share for one competitor or the other, be it software or hardware sales. I'd hate to see MS and Activision get too chummy and get in bed together making games exclusively for one platform (or Two with PC). I just don't think these kind of relationships are healthy for the industry.

OldJadedGamer - I understand that. Sony has a long history of doing the same bullshit, but it certainly feels like both of the big players have been considerably more aggresive this generation in obtaining exclusive rights and partnerships. I really wouldn't be worried if Sony wasn't in such bad shape. Not that I'm for or against either, but I know I absolutely do not want to see Sony fall out of the "console race". If they shut down their gaming division then we can pretty much hang it up for a while and go back to PC gaming until someone else steps in. Nintendo + MS is not enough "competition" to keep the market healthy.

RedStep

MrPliskin said:

It's just business, it's not a big deal.

It's the same thing with movies/music (retailer exclusives), cell phones, cable/radio services, toys, whatever. Each party will use their dollars to convince you that they are the way to go.

The sense of entitlement ("I should have everything that everybody else does!") is misplaced. It's no different than an Apple fan that's stuck in a Verizon contract.

Jonsoncao

Banned
MrPliskin said:
I think it is a big problem, because ultimately it sways buying decisions and corporate affiliations.

In the end, it just screws the consumer. Honestly, I am regretting getting the PS3 version (rather, getting this damn game at all). I just don't think it's the place of a Manufacturer to pen any deals (especially if monetary compensation is involved) in order to get a foot hold in market share. Hell, Activision has been very very close with Microsoft, and has been lambasting Sony for quite some time, and I find that disturbing givin the size of both Activision and Microsoft (and Sony's position).

I'm not for or against any publishers or manufacturers, however, I am against relationships like this as they can be detrimental to the industry.

While this one instance of exclusive DLC (timed or not) is not enough to crush the competition, continued practices like this ultimately hurt market share for one competitor or the other, be it software or hardware sales. I'd hate to see MS and Activision get too chummy and get in bed together making games exclusively for one platform (or Two with PC). I just don't think these kind of relationships are healthy for the industry.

OldJadedGamer - I understand that. Sony has a long history of doing the same bullshit, but it certainly feels like both of the big players have been considerably more aggresive this generation in obtaining exclusive rights and partnerships. I really wouldn't be worried if Sony wasn't in such bad shape. Not that I'm for or against either, but I know I absolutely do not want to see Sony fall out of the "console race". If they shut down their gaming division then we can pretty much hang it up for a while and go back to PC gaming until someone else steps in. Nintendo + MS is not enough "competition" to keep the market healthy.

eh...

time exclusive mappack for modern warfare 1 also, I thought ppl already get used to it

Violater

Jonsoncao said:
eh...

time exclusive mappack for modern warfare 1 also, I thought ppl already get used to it

The whole process of paid DLC is debatable, it splinters the user base. Frankly since I am going to have to pay for it I don't mind the wait. Let live work out the map glitches.

RedStep

Major Williams said:
Do people actually enjoy doing that in real life? That's fucked up...

10770029_m.jpg

TruHero

Banned
MrPliskin said:
While this one instance of exclusive DLC (timed or not) is not enough to crush the competition, continued practices like this ultimately hurt market share for one competitor or the other, be it software or hardware sales. I'd hate to see MS and Activision get too chummy and get in bed together making games exclusively for one platform (or Two with PC). I just don't think these kind of relationships are healthy for the industry..

Did you have the same objections with PS3 getting the exclusive Joker content for Batman AA? Or how the PS3 is getting Brutal Legend DLC for free?

Barrett2

Does anyone else find the frequency of quotes by Donald Rumsfeld in death animations odd or offputting?

From a purely business perspective, I would not want ANY appearance of politicization near my cash cow product. I have to chalk this up to yet another thing IW has done which should have been reconsidered.

GodofWine

Is this game faster than MW1?? been ages since I played that, and most recently I've been slogging through the tactical slowness that is SOCOM...so this feels like FPS-on-crack at the moment.

I'll adjust...but man o man...I got lit up in my first few games. (plus it didnt help my entire team quit in one of the games leaving me in a 1 vs 8 mess that I didnt realize I was alone until it was over :lol )

lawblob said:
Does anyone else find the frequency of quotes by Donald Rumsfeld in death animations odd or offputting?

From a purely business perspective, I would not want ANY appearance of politicization near my cash cow product. I have to chalk this up to yet another thing IW has done which should have been reconsidered.
Rummy was all over MW1 too. It's hardly politicization, the man had the job.

And hell, it's basically CoD mantra that the people upstairs are frakking idiots and it's the grunts that save the day.

ZeroRay

Anybody else having problems connecting to a party on PS3?

I tried joining my friend's game, inviting him and him doing the same thing with me but we can't connect.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Jesus the hardline perk makes things easy when you are playing people that cannot stay away from choke points. :lol

TruHero said:
Did you have the same objections with PS3 getting the exclusive Joker content for Batman AA? Or how the PS3 is getting Brutal Legend DLC for free?
360 never got the joker did they? and the DLC for BL is free for 2 weeks after that it's paid DLC.

RavenFox

Banned
HixxSAFC said:

Bit bummed about the PS3 trophy problems though :(
Darn trophies are still screwed up huh? Just got my copy from Amazon but wont be home until later tonight. Hope a patch goes up soon.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
got2bekidding said:
I didn't order from Amazon, but I'm curious if they compensate for missing the release date delivery?

I'm sure they would. Just gotta talk with the right CSR. You might not even have to complain at all.

MrPliskin

Banned
TruHero said:

You missed my point.

The only reason I would hate to see Activision and MS get in bed is because their pockets run very deep and it's a dangerous situation, I think, to gamers.

And yes, I was also upset when the PS3 got the exclusive Joker content, because I wanted to purchase the better looking / running 360 version.

I find the Brutal Legend deal just as upsetting, but after the demo I had no interest in the game.

Why again is it that every time someone talk about anything related to common industry practices, and cites some examples, they are immediately taken to the console wars battle field? Or is that just the nature of NeoGAF? This has nothing to do with what console I do or do not prefer. It has everything to do with the industry. If you hadn't noticed, Sony is in shambles, bleeding money, so we really have no idea what "next" generation will be like for them. Relationships like this make me question their ability to continue in a console market, especially when Activision has been pretty clear they aren't happy with Sony (maybe Sony isn't throwing enough money their way?).

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Any suggestions towards which guns are best in each category?

I never played CoD4 multiplayer and wasn't even planning on playing this online either until I tried it last night. Good freakin time. Wow.

Top Bottom