• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

A.R.K

TruHero said:
Maybe because more of awesome (CoD4's SP) is still awesome (MW2's SP)? I haven't finished the SP yet, but it's been fucking great so far.

Nope its not about that, and I am sure its awesome but my point is that when you thrash other titles for the negative points I mentioned does not turn them to positives by magic if its a high profile game. It should have been punished just like I have seen numerous titles punished for the very same reasons. But I guess that's the very reason these reviewers have lost their credibilty and I look forward to GAF impressions more than these so called 'professional' reviews.

The-Warning said:
The Boom Town review is the most critical I've read so far. They touch upon the things you mentioned. Gave it an 8.

http://xbox.boomtown.net/en_uk/artic...w.php?id=18836 (minor spoilers, and they mention Uncharted 2 a lot which might annoy some people)

definitely much better, good review

Returners said:
huh? I'm getting trophy notifications after I installed 1.01.

I can look at the trophy listing on my PS3. Though what I couldn't do was view it on playstation.com after I synced with the server.
well i didn't get any trophies. ;(

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
I don't get that people with the ps3 version aren't complaining here, it's impossible to play with people out of your friends list, that's a enormous bug, good job IW

ACE 1991

I think it's fairly interesting that Call of Duty started out as a Teen rated series and is now a decidedly mature rated one where you
shoot up an airport.
But hey, violence sells I guess.

RedStep

ACE 1991 said:
I think it's fairly interesting that Call of Duty started out as a Teen rated series and is now a decidedly mature rated one where you
shoot up an airport.
But hey, violence sells I guess.

It's sad that a war game would fall back on violence just to sell a few extra copies. :lol

GodofWine

Kingsora said:
I don't get that people with the ps3 version aren't complaining here, it's impossible to play with people out of your friends list, that's a enormous bug, good job IW

huh? You mean people on your friends list? or random people?

I popped the game in, hit MP, hit find game, got right in. I didn't try to play with a friend though.

The way you phrased that is confusing.

ACE 1991

RedStep said:
It's sad that a war game would fall back on violence just to sell a few extra copies. :lol

This makes it totally justifiable, although lame, taking in to account who this game is primarily marketed towards.

GodofWine said:
huh? You mean people on your friends list? or random people?

I popped the game in, hit MP, hit find game, got right in. I didn't try to play with a friend though.

The way you phrased that is confusing.

that's what he's talking about. can't play MP with friends ;P

TruHero

Banned
A.R.K said:
Nope its not about that, and I am sure its awesome but my point is that when you thrash other titles for the negative points I mentioned does not turn them to positives by magic if its a high profile game. It should have been punished just like I have seen numerous titles punished for the very same reasons. But I guess that's the very reason these reviewers have lost their credibilty and I look forward to GAF impressions more than these so called 'professional' reviews.

GAFers aren't much better either. You have the Console Warriors who will praise their exclusives and crap on the competitor's exclusives. And then you have butthurt fans who don't like changes in the new game and will shit all over the game in hopes of turning people off the game.

MW2's SP may be all the things you listed, but it's still fucking awesome. IMO, it exceeds CoD4's epic campaign.

I have no complaints with MW2's reviews so far.

Az987

all good things
Wow WTF! Im playing multiplayer on my xbox and the screen just goes blank.. I can still hear my guy moving when I push buttons but I cant see shit.. So I installed it to my hard drive thinking that might fix and the first game I play it does it again..

WTF I wanna play dammit!

Anyone else have this problem

This campaign is amazing. I'm not sure if I like it more than MW1 yet, but it's definitely improved on everything. I FUCKING HATE THE MILITIA.

just got my game delivered @ work from amazon .. 6 more hours to go

So far from GAF impressions, the SP is:

1. extremely linear
2. AI is not too smart
3. very very short SP
4. more of the same
5. No incentive to play it again if played once
Is this a joke? The last two levels I played were linear in the idea that there's a set progression to the level, but it's almost entirely up to you how to do it. And the AI is pretty good, noticeably improved. And noticeably less bullshit. Both enemy and friendly AI have learned what the fuck covering fire is now.

It might be short. But short is good. Awesome campaigns are meant to be played through in one sitting.

And I don't know what to say about the more of the same comment. It's got shooting in it I guess.

TheExodu5

Banned
MW2 campaign started great...but the last few missions were complete shit though. Endlessly spawning enemies on the rooftops, how fun! I'm just after the Badger part now. I hope it gets better soon.

Az987 said:
Wow WTF! Im playing multiplayer on my xbox and the screen just goes blank.. I can still hear my guy moving when I push buttons but I cant see shit.. So I installed it to my hard drive thinking that might fix and the first game I play it does it again..

WTF I wanna play dammit!

Anyone else have this problem

I haven't run into that problem. Check video connections and all of that stuff (re-seat everything).

Can you bring up the guide or anything like that? Or does it just go blank? If so, call xbox support.

Son of Godzilla said:
Is this a joke? The last two levels I played were linear in the idea that there's a set progression to the level, but it's almost entirely up to you how to do it. And the AI is pretty good, noticeably improved. And noticeably less bullshit. Both enemy and friendly AI have learned what the fuck covering fire is now.

Yeah, especially on Hardened. I have had enemies work together and try to flank me from behind. It gets rather annoying especially inRio De Janeiro.

ACE 1991

I think it's going to be a heated competition between this and Uncharted 2 for GotY. I feel Uncharted 2 has an unquestionably better single player campaign, but Modern Warfare 2 has a far better and deeper multiplayer game.

ACE 1991 said:
I think it's going to be a heated competition between this and Uncharted 2 for GotY. I feel Uncharted 2 has an unquestionably better single player campaign, but Modern Warfare 2 has a far better and deeper multiplayer game.
SPEC-OPS

Dartastic

Wow, I just played through the
airport scene. That was completely fucking unnecessary, and honestly a bit disturbing.
I didn't think it would be, but it definitely was.

Dartastic said:
airport scene. That was completely fucking unnecessary, and honestly a bit disturbing.

well there was the option to skip that level anyways ;P

Chaplain

Old? Call of Duty 1 xbla info:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/c/callofdutyclassicxbla/

* Legendary franchise: Play the winner of more than 80 Game of the Year Awards and 50 Editor's Choice Awards.
* Battlefield action: Experience the cinematic intensity of World War II's biggest conflicts including D-Day, Stalingrad, and the Battle of Berlin. Play through 24 epic single-player missions across four interconnected campaigns.
* Online multiplayer: Take your game online with multiplayer on Xbox LIVE, including Leaderboard support.

Destructoid.com has a 10 minute video of COD 1:

http://www.destructoid.com/ten-minute-taste-call-of-duty-classic-154694.phtml

ACE 1991 said:
Totally agree.
I'd give the edge to U2, though, in the end.

Arhal_Katarn

Dartastic said:

I just don't get how people can be disturbed by this, its a game surely you've gone on crazy killing sprees in GTA. TBH that level was pretty shit all in all when you look at it.

Completed. I was rather hoping the trophies would be working by now via a patch or something. Overall rather dissapointed storywise so its pretty annoying il have to play through it again to get the damn trophies!

Any news on a proper fix? Or is it just delete the update?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
ACE 1991 said:
Deeper certainly, but not better for me. I couldn't get into CoD4 multiplayer, yet I'm addicted to Uncharter 2 like I've never been.

panda21

is it just me or is the sp terrible? i'm only doing it on normal and in the favelas i just seem to be constantly being shot from every direction and in the time it takes to shoot them all they've respawned. the infinite respawning is just ridiculous. i don't 'get' it because its just so ridiculously unrealistic, what am i supposed to be doing? just running and ignoring them?

Biff

Are killstreaks stackable?

i.e. Can I have both Sentry Gun and Predator set as 2 of my 3 killstreaks, where they BOTH unlock at 5 kills?

Arhal_Katarn said:
I just don't get how people can be disturbed by this
Totally not expecting it at all?
The level opens up with you walking into the place and two seconds later bodies hit the floor. I thought I'd be robbing a bank or something, goddam. I didn't even fire my gun, just stared at the fucking horror.

is it just me or is the sp terrible? i'm only doing it on normal and in the favelas i just seem to be constantly being shot from every direction and in the time it takes to shoot them all they've respawned. the infinite respawning is just ridiculous. i don't 'get' it because its just so ridiculously unrealistic, what am i supposed to be doing? just running and ignoring them?
There's infinite respawning? Could have fooled me.

TheExodu5

Banned
panda21 said:

Yep. Like I said, started great with:
the snow level!
...but the infinite respawn and getting shot from every direction is absolutely ridiculous. They took the infinite respawn from CoD4, and made it 10x worse.

Violater

I think people are being overly sensitive about a game where the entire premise is set around you running around killing people. Ohh dear I shot some virtually pixellated people.
Personally where distasteful actions are concerned nothing comes close to a GTA game.
IW has tactfully given u the option to skip that particular mission.

I'm confused. I haven't played the SP yet, but I've seen some say there are infinitely-respawning enemies and others say there aren't any. Which is it?

So I beat like 5 levels and no trophies. Is it because of that update? What the fuck IW? If I have to replay those levels to get trophies then I won't be happy..how do you fuck this up?

zewone

Dax01 said:
I'm confused. I haven't played the SP yet, but I've seen some say there are infinitely-respawning enemies and others say there aren't any. Which is it?
They don't infinite respawn. There's respawning, sure, but it's limited.

Top Bottom