• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Az987

all good things
Iced_Eagle said:
I haven't run into that problem. Check video connections and all of that stuff (re-seat everything).

Can you bring up the guide or anything like that? Or does it just go blank? If so, call xbox support.

cables are fine. When I push the guide button I can hear it come up but cant see anything.

Dammit this really sucks.

The disc looks fine as well

MThanded said:
If you are impatient go to the store put it on your credit card/debit card when you get your copy tommorow return that one in place of it. Protip

Oh believe, me, I've considered it. I even thought about going to a midnight launch yesterday rather than wait for the mail to show up today (tomorrow....) I think I'll survive for a night, I just felt like bitching unnecessarily on a message board so that I could pretend people on the internet care, but in reality they'll just laugh and tell me they dont give a shit since they're having too much fun playing the game. (that about sums up how GAF works in 90% of cases)

EDIT:
AvidNobody said:
Is this game worth the buy if I'm only interested in Campaign and achievements?

I never really played the multiplayer in MW...
Don't shoot me.

People are saying 4-5 hours on normal, hardest difficulty manageable in 10 or so. Just rent it for the weekend, play it through once or twice and save yourself 50 bucks.

Biff

Trying one more time :)

ChefRamsay said:
Are killstreaks stackable?

i.e. Can I have both Sentry Gun and Predator set as 2 of my 3 killstreaks, where they BOTH unlock at 5 kills?

ZZMitch

AvidNobody said:

Don't shoot me.

If you count Spec Ops in that yes, if not, no (unless your really into achievements)

Barrett2

Im' not sure I follow the reasoning behind these insanely flimsy cases. A baby sparrow could carry off my copy of MW2 & case in the blink of an eye.

How much money do the publishers save with the cheaper plastic? It couldn't be more than a penny per game, seriously.

-_-

DarkJC

zewone said:
They don't infinite respawn. There's respawning, sure, but it's limited.

It seemed as though there was to me, but then again I didn't stick around long enough to find out. My experience from CoD4 told me to just take out the direct threats and then run like hell to the next spot and repeat. Just beat the game, clocked in 4h 50m on Regular.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MirageDwarf said:
Reviews never criticize big hyped game with hugh marketing.

I hate Hugh Marketing. He's such a dick.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
lawblob said:
Im' not sure I follow the reasoning behind these insanely flimsy cases. A baby sparrow could carry off my copy of MW2 & case in the blink of an eye.

How much money do the publishers save with the cheaper plastic? It couldn't be more than a penny per game, seriously.

-_-
I kind of want to buy a copy of a really cheap game just to swap cases.

Violater

lawblob said:

-_-

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. get with the program man.

ZZMitch said:
If you count Spec Ops in that yes, if not, no (unless your really into achievements)

Alright, I think I'm going to pick this up. I loved the first game. And I'm ready to step into the online world of a not RB game. Here it goes.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AvidNobody said:

Don't shoot me.
it's the perfect rental if that's your attitude.

Nafai1123

Banned
That airport scene is completely fucking unnecessary. Seriously what is the fucking point. I'm not one to be offended but I thought it was completely pointless...

Barrett2

Xamdou said:
Still can't decide which version to get, so exactly what are the differences between the PS3 and 360 versions?

Honestly, unless you have a $3,000 TV, you couldn't even tell the difference.

Just finished it. I'll spoiler all my thoughts:

I have to say I'm very impressed with what Infinity Ward did with the main campaign. The invasion of America is something I've wanted to see in a movie or game for a very long time now, and I feel that they really nailed it. After the first strike and you're riding down that suburban street in the jeep is really chilling - all of the nice little houses blown to bits and whatnot. This only intensifies once you get to Washington and see what remains of landmarks like the White House. Unfortunately, I don't think they focused enough time on it. Though, I'm greedy and if I had it my way, all of the game would revolve around the concept of playing in a war torn America. The other locations were really great too, though, and provided the much needed variety. I also like the fact that this game was full of colour; a nice contrast to the brown of the settings last time.

I'm not afraid to admit that I thought the narrative really took a dive in the last third or so of the game after the big twist, and I'm not entirely sure what was happening a lot of the time. I'm presuming the Russians gave up on America? If so, why? And the reasoning that Sheperd gave for his evil acts were flimsy at best. It kinda felt like Infinity Ward were trying just a little too hard to be this really gritty experience, when really they didn't need to add all of these convoluted twists because the scenarios they had been running with throughout the rest of the game were fantastic.

I'd say it was 75% brilliance, 25% solid enjoyment. That still equals 100% fun, but for me COD4 was 100% brilliance. I suppose it's natural I wasn't totally blown away in the same way this time, however, as it was simply building upon that great foundation, rather than totally turning the series on its head as 4 did. And, to be fair, the highest points in MW2 trump those in COD4 easily.

Right... now to waste my life in multiplayer and trying to nail it on veteran. :D

Nafai1123 said:
That airport scene is completely fucking unnecessary. Seriously what is the fucking point. I'm not one to be offended but I thought it was completely pointless...

I loved it. I know they did a good job at doing it because
I didn't even consider shooting a single civilian.

Cant wait to get home and play. 360 Manual is a joke though :( Also, word of warning, I tried to get this by returning one of the two games I bought from ToysRUs during the 3 for 2 deal. The bastards wouldnt let me. F THEM!! When I bough the game, they said I could have exchange either or both of the games I paid for, just not the free one.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
lawblob said:

-_-
A penny per game at 2 million copies 20,000 dollars. And its probably more than you think. Shipping is cheaper and you use less plastic.

lawblob said:

-_-

MW3 will ship in a paper slip case with a URL for the instructions printed on the back.

ZZMitch

lawblob said:
Honestly, unless you have a $3,000 TV, you couldn't even tell the difference.

And if you do, the PS3 version is supposed to look a bit "smarter" yet have a slightly lower (1-4 frames on average) framrate.

MThanded

ZZMitch said:
And if you do, the PS3 version is supposed to look a bit "smarter" yet have a slightly lower (1-4 frames on average) framrate.
What do you mean by smarter?

DarkJC

Foliorum Viridum said:
Just finished it. I'll spoiler all my thoughts:

I have to say I'm very impressed with what Infinity Ward did with the main campaign. The invasion of America is something I've wanted to see in a movie or game for a very long time now, and I feel that they really nailed it. After the first strike and you're riding down that suburban street in the jeep is really chilling - all of the nice little houses blown to bits and whatnot. This only intensifies once you get to Washington and see what remains of landmarks like the White House. Unfortunately, I don't think they focused enough time on it. Though, I'm greedy and if I had it my way, all of the game would revolve around the concept of playing in a war torn America. The other locations were really great too, though, and provided the much needed variety.

I'm not afraid to admit that I thought the narrative really took a dive in the last third or so of the game after the big twist, and I'm not entirely sure what was happening a lot of the time. I'm presuming the Russians gave up on America? If so, why? And the reasoning that Sheperd gave for his evil acts were flimsy at best. It kinda felt like Infinity Ward were trying just a little too hard to be this really gritty experience, when really they didn't need to add all of these convoluted twists because the scenarios they had been running with throughout the rest of the game were fantastic.

I'd say it was 75% brilliance, 25% solid enjoyment. That still equals 100% fun, but for me COD4 was 100% brilliance. I suppose it's natural I wasn't totally blown away in the same way this time, however, as it was simply building upon that great foundation, rather than totally turning the series on its head as 4 did. And, to be fair, the highest points in MW2 trump those in COD4 easily.

Right... now to waste my life in multiplayer and trying to nail it on veteran. :D

I agree with this for the most part, but
I'm still confused as to what Shepard did aside from kill and light the two guys from 141 on fire. I mean sure, that's a bad thing, but what else? Why did the focus suddenly switch to him? Did the Russian dude end up getting killed by Shepards troops? Everything was moving so fast at the end.

MThanded

SuperEnemyCrab said:
MW3 will ship in a paper slip case with a URL for the instructions printed on the back.
MW3 will have no case and be digital distribution only.

DarkJC said:
I agree with this for the most part, but
I'm still confused as to what Shepard did aside from kill and light the two guys from 141 on fire. I mean sure, that's a bad thing, but what else? Why did the focus suddenly switch to him? Did the Russian dude end up getting killed by Shepards troops? Everything was moving so fast at the end.
Wasn't it something to do with the "blank cheque" too? I interpreted that as him stealing a fuckton of money...

I can't believe a COD story confused me... :lol

ZZMitch said:
No, they give you the disc and you bring your on slip case!

I heard that you have to bring the disc and they give you the case, however, if you pre-purchase at Gamestop starting today you will get a limited edition MW3 disc made with magic marker.

lawblob said:

-_-
It's not about saving them money at all, it's about not wasting millions of resources on meaningless crap. This game's initial run was what, 5 bazijillion? Think of how much paper and plastic was saved. Not the cost, which I'm sure was motivator, but the actual items.

kilongs

Amazon says:

November 9, 2009 04:14:32 PM
Seattle WA US - Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

November 10, 2009 11:12:00 AM
Arrival Scan

Estimated Arrival: November 13, 2009

....Arrival Scan!? Where!? I live like 2 hours from Seattle! Why is it gonna take 3 days to reach me!?

ARGH!! So close, yet so far!

ZZMitch

LovingSteam said:
I heard that you have to bring the disc and they give you the case, however, if you pre-purchase at Gamestop starting today you will get a limited edition MW3 disc made with magic marker.

A disc made out of magic marker? Activision is going all out, man.

Loxley

yes we can said:
How do you select third person view in multiplayer?

While I actually haven't received my copy of MW2 yet, I'm pretty sure it's simply a mode you select. Something like "3rd Person Deathmatch" or something along those lines.

lawblob said:

-_-

If it's a game like this and it sells 10million+ copies that's 100 grand. Not to shabby.

Besides, it saves mother earth! Please think of the lord Gaea before you complain.

MThanded

yes we can said:
How do you select third person view in multiplayer?
its a mode of gameplay not a view mode.. If it wasnt that would be dumb :lol :lol . You could see better than first person players.

test_account

XP-39C²
Xamdou said:
Does the PS3 version have trophies?
Yep :) I dont think that any PS3 games that will be released from now on wont have trophies in them, which is nice :)

EDIT: Not to go too much off-topic, but speaking about trophies, which PS3 game was the last to not have trophies support? Was it Afro Samurai?

test_account

XP-39C²
I picked these up earlier today :) The Prestige Edition will stay sealed, i mostly bought it as a collecting object. I bought the normal edition to have a copy to play :)

GvDNRZNOF.jpg

VvIrkgSYG.jpg

Tzeentch

Just got my copy, Amazon release date delivery for the win!

... WTF why does it make my XBOX drive spin up like a damn jet engine?! Screw that, installing it to the hard drive (sorry Mass Effect).

GT TzeentchNet

kai3345

Banned
So I went in on a total Singleplayer media blackout.

I had no idea about the controversial scene.

I think the mission received its desired effect from me. As soon as they started dropping people I literally said "Holy shit".

And then the part at the end where Makarov shoots me I let a "what the fuck?" slip.

But anyways, the mission was shocking? yes. Offensive? No. It's a game, it isn't real. I don't get offended by stuff that isn't real.

AvidNobody said:

Don't shoot me.

In your case, I would suggest to just rent it. The campaign is fun and good but far too short to warrant a purchase if you have no plans for multiplayer.

Top Bottom