• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Dax01 said:
I'm confused. I haven't played the SP yet, but I've seen some say there are infinitely-respawning enemies and others say there aren't any. Which is it?
There aren't, they got the buggy copies or some shit.

Seriously what? There aren't.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dax01 said:
I'm confused. I haven't played the SP yet, but I've seen some say there are infinitely-respawning enemies and others say there aren't any. Which is it?

Depends on the situation, but the last 3-4 levels were filled with infinite spawns. It's just the fact that enemies seem to have near godlike reflexes, know where you are all the time, and spawn from every direction. It's irritating and frustrating.

Son of Godzilla said:

The Rio level with MacTarvish, where enemies start appearing on the rooftops...if you don't push forward they come forever. I was fighting for a good 10 minutes assuming it was a set firefight...but nope! Enemies kept pouring in from all the rooftops around me.

Also, the blood effect when you get hit is horrible and looks awful.

Dax01 said:
Those who say there are haven't gotten far enough in the game yet to realize there aren't.

There are no infinite respawning enemies on the Favela level, by the way. They're just flanking you.

taku

I don't if it's all the propaganda/fanaticism, the laughable dialogue or if it's the infinite spawning of enemies, but I am getting furiously annoyed by this game. I'm at the end of Act 2 (Of Their Own Accord) and this is totally bumming me out. I loved Call of Duty 2 and 4 and was looking forward to this.

Other than the game being poop, the essential gameplay and scenery is top notch!

Son of Godzilla said:

TheExodu5 said:
Depends on the situation, but the last 3-4 levels were filled with infinite spawns. It's just the fact that enemies seem to have near godlike reflexes, know where you are all the time, and spawn from every direction. It's irritating and frustrating.

zewone said:
They don't infinite respawn. There's respawning, sure, but it's limited.

What the hell is this?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
For anyone who has the Prestige Edition, did the Hardened copy inside come sealed? I'm asking because I might go ahead and buy a Hardened edition somewhere just to return the copy that comes with my Prestige as soon it arrives from Amazon.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Bastards, I don't have the funds to play this until Friday, so you need to be gentlemen and wait for me.
How is the special ops, by the way? Is it a minor distraction or something you can put lots of time into?I'm really looking forward to it, I love Co-op and I'm hoping it will provide me with some split-screen fun with the GF.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My innate COD skills took over...

I am doing very very good now :lol

Level 18
RPD+Grip
Sleight of Hand Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Steady Aim

Fuck yeah. I took down an helicopter with a missile :lol

Just played through the first 4 missions or so in SP and there was one spot the enemies seemed to spawn infinitely, but the majority of encounters seem to have a limit.

Campaign is as brainless and cheap as ever. Pretty underwhelmed with it, but of course thats not why I bought the game.

TheExodu5 said:
The Rio level with MacTarvish, where enemies start appearing on the rooftops...if you don't push forward they come forever. I was fighting for a good 10 minutes assuming it was a set firefight...but nope! Enemies kept pouring in from all the rooftops around me.

This was the part I was referring to. And yeah, the new blood spatter when your hurt is terrible and completely obscures the directional indicator for incoming fire.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Violater said:
I think people are being overly sensitive about a game where the entire premise is set around you running around killing people. Ohh dear I shot some virtually pixellated people.
Personally where distasteful actions are concerned nothing comes close to a GTA game.
IW has tactfully given u the option to skip that particular mission.

I played through it and it didn't bother me at all, especially given how it was handled plot wise. The GTA games never bothered me either. A game would have to be a lot more realistic in terms of the kill count for deaths to have any real impact on the players. Yes these are all real world weapons, actual geographic locations, and it is graphic. But by the time you have mowed down 100 enemies as one Marine it isn't that grounded in reality.

At the same time, I would not want it to be. This is an interactive action movie roller coaster. There are supposed to be a ton of people to shoot and crazy explosions going off.

I've enjoyed games like SWAT4 where you can get through them with what would be an actual realistic kill count, but that isn't COD, and I wouldn't want it to be.

People will move on to whatever the next manufactured controversy is once it appears.

TheExodu5 said:

I dunno. Maybe you are right? I thought there was just a metric shitload of them. I remember totally clearing out every area in that level, but I suppose I might have tripped some magic switch.

SuperSonic1305 said:
So can someone explain why i'm being put up against high ranked guys in my first match? My team got destroyed.
What? Matchmaking is perfect, don't lie!

Also most MM start you at a default skill of .500 and then adjust from there.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyways, as for the PC multiplayer, here's what I like and don't like:

Like:

- Matchmaking is very fast. Really easy to get into a game.
- Skill levels actually seem to be pretty balanced so far. Most of the games I played were very close.
- Maps are really good overall (except for that shitty huge snow level...it just doesn't work with only 12 people)
- Steam integration is awesome!
- No punkbuster!

Dislike:

- Lack of dedicated servers means lack of communities.
- Lag lag lag. 4 bar games are good, but anything less and you're at a pretty big disadvantage against better pinging players.
- No control over played map
- Few players in certain game types means bad matches. Hopefully enough people start playing come Friday.

Dartastic

Arhal_Katarn said:
I just don't get how people can be disturbed by this, its a game surely you've gone on crazy killing sprees in GTA. TBH that level was pretty shit all in all when you look at it.

It's completely different in GTA than it is here; it's all in the presentation. It's just... different.
The pacing, where you just WALK through, and hear the screaming while you see people trying to drag others out of the way, or they're just clutching a bullet wound... it's just messed up.

ArjanN

Dartastic said:
Wow, I just played through the
airport scene. That was completely fucking unnecessary, and honestly a bit disturbing.
I didn't think it would be, but it definitely was.

If it was disturbing it served it's purpose (because that's what they were going for) and was therefore not unnecessary.

snack

Relix said:
My innate COD skills took over...

I am doing very very good now :lol

Level 18
RPD+Grip
Sleight of Hand Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Steady Aim

Fuck yeah. I took down an helicopter with a missile :lol

How many missiles does it require to take down a helicopter?

RedStep

Revolutionary said:
Those who say there are haven't gotten far enough in the game yet to realize there aren't.

I finished Veteran on Sunday, and I never noticed infinite spawns...

Edit: As indicated by another poster, I might have hit an invisible tripwire, but it's nothing like MW1 and especially the end of WaW were.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dartastic said:
It's completely different in GTA than it is here; it's all in the presentation. It's just... different.
The pacing, where you just WALK through, and hear the screaming while you see people trying to drag others out of the way, or they're just clutching a bullet wound... it's just messed up.
Well in this game doing this is part of your job description and the intention was to stop something much bigger than what happened there. In GTA you can just commit senseless acts in the street with no greater purpose.

I equate it to the movie Armageddon but imagine others on the asteroid. Save the five people on the asteroid or save the world. Sometimes you have to make tough gritty decisions.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm one of the people that late last week was complaining about infinitely respawning enemies.

The TRUTH is that enemies probably don't respawn infinitely, but that doesn't cure the underlying problems with the COD SP formula -

- Enemies spawning behind you and around you in cheap, scripted ways. You die without having a chance to defend yourself.
- Enemies spawning in such a way that the player is punished for not going through the stage in the "intended" route.
- IW using enemy behavior to push the player forward at a faster pace than they might like.
- etc.

The bottom line is that the "infinity" of the enemies themselves is hardly the issue. If it LOOKS and FEELS like a COD4 infinite respawn point, it doesn't hardly matter if it technically isn't one.

Picked up a Hardened Edition from Best Buy today, I don't think it was really worth the extra $20 but whatever. And they had a LOT of copies, mostly 360 it seemed; this is not going to be a difficult game to find I don't think. Would love to know how many they shipped.

They also had a stack of the special edition 360 at the front door. The only thing I didn't see was the prestige edition.

K.Jack said:
Someone, please spoiler tag me the in depth details of this level which is causing a stir.
You and some ugly Russian half-man roll into a crowded airport with machine guns and open fire. It looks like one of those experiments people do to test ragdolls and physics.

Damn, my university's mail room has shut down for the day and my copy is "delivered" as of right now. Literally 90% of my friends list is playing MW2 right now and I want to join them so bad. Until tomorrow....

(My tracking info says it was dropped off, and I cant get it! RRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE!!!!)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ughhhhh....somebody really needs to tell IW that (Campaign spoilers!!) :

Yeah man we got it, playing the role of a dying soldier as he crawls to his demise was cool that one time in modern warfare one, but having every single player you control in MW2 die is just...well not kewl. Its like they were thinking " well how can we tie up the loose ends, I know! Lets just have them die :D!"

._.

Violater

Pyke Presco said:
Damn, my university's mail room has shut down for the day and my copy is "delivered" as of right now. Literally 90% of my friends list is playing MW2 right now and I want to join them so bad. Until tomorrow....

(My tracking info says it was dropped off, and I cant get it! RRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE!!!!)

Seeing as though I studied overseas, I would like to get an understanding how US universities work with regards to playing console games online. But that may be for an OT forum. :/

taku

GDJustin said:
The TRUTH is that enemies probably don't respawn infinitely, but that doesn't cure the underlying problems with the COD SP formula -

- Enemies spawning behind you and around you in cheap, scripted ways. You die without having a chance to defend yourself.
- Enemies spawning in such a way that the player is punished for not going through the stage in the "intended" route.
- IW using enemy behavior to push the player forward at a faster pace than they might like.
- etc.
This.

MThanded

Pyke Presco said:

If you are impatient go to the store put it on your credit card/debit card when you get your copy tommorow return that one in place of it. Protip

I just finished the game on Regular :D
It took me abut 5 hours, it is definitely the best game I have played so far.

btw,
Is the museum level completable? i have been shooting them from room to room and they just keep responding XD

gibration

GDJustin said:
I'm one of the people that late last week was complaining about infinitely respawning enemies.

- etc.

The bottom line is that the "infinity" of the enemies themselves is hardly the issue. If it LOOKS and FEELS like a COD4 infinite respawn point, it doesn't hardly matter if it technically isn't one.
I agree.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm going to spoiler it myself. But why the hell is everyone spoiler tagging the
airport scene
?

Returners

GuardianE said:
For anyone who has the Prestige Edition, did the Hardened copy inside come sealed? I'm asking because I might go ahead and buy a Hardened edition somewhere just to return the copy that comes with my Prestige as soon it arrives from Amazon.

yes for mine.

Edeuinu

My wife just sent me a picture of the game in her hand with a caption "hell yeah!". I'm so confused, I didn't even say I wanted it and she never even tried to play a FPS. This should be interesting.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Why For? said:
No longer infinite thank fuck.

The difference between infinite spawns and 999999999^9999 spawns isnt as joyous as some of us hoped...

I started the SP thinking that I was going to take my sweet time, picking foes off and removing the enemies from the maps, but after 25min or so of standing in a corner shooting the same god damned puffyhaired kid I though fuck it, ill play it the way they want me to.

NameGenerated said:
Has anyone else not gotten their copy from Amazon? I'm going crazy.
Mine has yet to still cross the Los Angeles metro area, been stuck there since yesterday...granted I didn't get it via release day delivery but if things are sent locally they usually arrive the following day.

Oh well...gotta appreciate the discounts by ordering it via Amazon though...just gotta be a little more patient =)

Why For?

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
Anyone, deathmatch over system link is that an option, or is it not included?

Can't seem to find it anywhere :-/.

Pretty sure it is.

I saw the System link option under multiplayer, but I haven't explored it yet.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
GamePnoy74 said:
Mine has yet to still cross the Los Angeles metro area, been stuck there since yesterday...granted I didn't get it via release day delivery but if things are sent locally they usually arrive the following day.

Oh well...gotta appreciate the discounts by ordering it via Amazon though...just gotta be a little more patient =)
Huzzah, mine just arrived!

MThanded

Why For? said:
Pretty sure it is.

I saw the System link option under multiplayer, but I haven't explored it yet.
Yeah its right after you go into the multiplayer option on the main menu

kaskade

I can't remember which mission it is but it's the one where you are in the village and the militia start firing. That was so fucking annoying. I died a lot even on regular. The enemies would be on rooftops, then randomly show up behind me, then on rooftops behind me. I died so many times trying to get through that. I was basically just hoping to reach the next checkpoint. Other than that, SP is pretty freaking awesome.

corpserot

Still waiting on mine to arrive. I was hoping Amazon would use the alternate delivery service for Vegas since they deliver earlier than UPS. :( I had Dragon Age at my front door when I woke up on release day, and I don't think the PS3 version even had release date delivery.

Oh well, just spent my 20$ on the GoW Collection. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, that's what I've been saying. The game plays out in the exact same way, regardless of whether the enemies are respawning, and that's a shame.

And comparing the airport mission to going on a killing spree in GTA... omg :lol

ThePeacemaker02 said:
I can't remember which mission it is but it's the one where you are in the village and the militia start firing. That was so fucking annoying. I died a lot even on regular. The enemies would be on rooftops, then randomly show up behind me, then on rooftops behind me. I died so many times trying to get through that. I was basically just hoping to reach the next checkpoint. Other than that, SP is pretty freaking awesome.
The biggest problem with that area is that the initial area is *much* wider than it seems, and enemies will run from house to house, meaning they can sneak up behind you really easily. I unno, I found it fun.

Top Bottom