• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

lawblob said:
Honestly, unless you have a $3,000 TV, you couldn't even tell the difference.

im not sure I follow you. both versions look identical. not sure why you would imply that it would look different regardless of what tv he is playing on.

Got this today for £25.99 (Morrisons) and I 'm loving it. The multiplayer is just as addictive as COD4, and the campaign is incredible so far. Really glad I found this for cheap.

Edeuinu

Ok apparently I own this now. Wife picked it up, who never plays any games cept like LBP, should be interesting. She's more pumped than I am.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
btrick said:
I didn't play the first Modern Warfare. am I going to lost on the story?

Totally. The story is what made MW. You'll get lost as soon as you start man.

lawblob said:
Im' not sure I follow the reasoning behind these insanely flimsy cases. A baby sparrow could carry off my copy of MW2 & case in the blink of an eye.

I hope that's not literally true; mine's been on my front porch for the last few hours.

Oh yeah, forgot to ask..

What's up with the Donald Rumsfeld quote when you die? :lol
The infamous "we know where they are" quote...
I laughed out loud with a "wtf?" when I first saw it. So out of place. Funniest COD quote ever.

lawblob said:
Honestly, unless you have a $3,000 TV, you couldn't even tell the difference.

What a load of crap, really now. The PS3 version is missing some effects, takes longer to load and has a worse framerate, that's the facts, and if you notice dropped frames, you'll notice the worse framerte no matter what setup you use. It doesn't matter whether you care about the differences or not, when someone asks if there's a difference don't lie about the fact and put your personal spin or bias on it, just give him the facts and let him make the decsion on whther the difference bothers them or not.

btrick said:
I didn't play the first Modern Warfare. am I going to lost on the story?

Here's a spoilered MW1 story outline:

i) Terrorists execute a leader in middle east and a warlord takes control
ii) Marines go in to clean him out he sets off a nuke in the city, wiping it out (and killing your playable marine character)
iii) At the same time, British special forces have been working in Russia, uncovering an Ultranationalist organization that wants to wipe out the western world.
iv) Leader of the Russian Ultranationalists assisted the Warlord in getting weapons and shit, so the americans jump in and join the British after the nuke goes off.
v) Flashback mission in which the leader of the british SAS forces assisted in a failed assassination attempt on this warlord 10 or 15 years back, tore off the guys arm with a 50 cal and pissed him off to the west even mroe than he already was.
vi) The joint forces storm a missle launch site and try to take out the leader before anything happens, but he sets some missiles up to launch for the US. Luckily you arrive in the nick of time and disable the launch sequence, and then get chased during your extraction. Big shootout on a bridge, mostly everyone dies and soem Russian troops you worked with early on come in with a chopper and rescue Soap (British playable character) and a few others. You kill the ultranationalist leader with a pistol.

Now you're good to go, buy the game and enjoy the story. But really...it's a shooter detailing a modern conflict. Cue terrorists/nuke threats. That's about all you need for plot.

Y2Kev said:
I think this is quite a bit easier than CoD4. At least so far.
Without a doubt.

Veteran in CoD4 was way easier than CoD2 and MW2's "Veteran" seems like CoD4's "Hardened" at best. I haven't had a problem yet and I've been running out in the open quite a bit.

Kinda disappointed with it's easiness, but then again I am a boss.

Raxus

Buckethead said:
Without a doubt.

Veteran in CoD4 was way easier than CoD2 and MW2's "Veteran" seems like CoD4's "Hardened" at best. I haven't had a problem yet and I've been running out in the open quite a bit.

Kinda disappointed with it's easiness, but then again I am a boss.
I put it at the same level too. But it is much more fun even if they did dumb down the "challenge".

Also, I got 2 Final Killcam kill bonuses in one game. Harrier and a chopper gunner in wasteland. The enemies just went budda budda budda budda.

TheExodu5

Banned
I just got a Paylow helicopter from a drop....dear god. :lol

I got at least 15 kills with it. :D

Man, when I get 4 bars, the game is just a flying (unless I was actually host). I hope I get more connections like that!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
mYm|17| said:
damn I am doing so bad in multiplayer. This is just like how I felt when I first played COD4
there is a barrier to entry oonce you get int the groove its all good. Same thing happened to me in cod4

kitch9

Banned
Tenkai Star said:
Bit short but yeah best review so far. They stood up against the hype.
"So shines a good deed in a weary world"

I agree with this review, I've just come off the back if U2 into MW2 and it feels a little....Ummm...... amaturish in comparison......(IMO.)

I can't put my finger on it but, the narrow alleyways that are full of hails of bullets that never stop are beginning to piss me off. U2 never felt unfair, but fuck me is MW2 cheap at times......

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
test_account said:
I picked these up earlier today :) The Prestige Edition will stay sealed, i mostly bought it as a collecting object. I bought the normal edition to have a copy to play :)

GvDNRZNOF.jpg

VvIrkgSYG.jpg

Christ. You're all that's wrong with the world.

Kingsora said:
I don't get that people with the ps3 version aren't complaining here, it's impossible to play with people out of your friends list, that's a enormous bug, good job IW

Please explain this. I bought the PS3 version specifically to play with my IRL friends, as opposed to my fake X360 friends.

Sean

Banned
I called in one of those care packages and the crate dropped right on a teammates head and crushed him to death. That's pretty awesome :lol

I wonder if it'd count as a kill for you if it dropped on an enemy.

brain_stew said:
What a load of crap, really now. The PS3 version is missing some effects, takes longer to load and has a worse framerate, that's the facts, and if you notice dropped frames, you'll notice the worse framerte no matter what setup you use. It doesn't matter whether you care about the differences or not, when someone asks if there's a difference don't lie about the fact and put your personal spin or bias on it, just give him the facts and let him make the decsion on whther the difference bothers them or not.

I've seen a few posts already saying there's virtually no difference between them too. I get the impression that to say a difference exists or to answer someones questions saying there is, is trolling or something. :lol

Dilly

Banned
Multiplay on PC is fun, the lowered number of players really makes the multiplay more relaxed, even though I think it should have been an option. I got an AC130 drop and enjoyed it :D

Anyway, I've got some questions about the story

Why did Price launch the bomb? Who killed the Russian bad guy?

brain_stew said:

Wow dude. You have issues, lol!

ColR100

Patch the berluddy party chat back in, I can't stress how damn stupid this decision is!

I'm never really played the first MW all that much, but now having to deal with 12 year old kids screaming about perks (who aren't even old enough to play the game) while at the same time conversing with a group of friends from a party which has gone into the game is..........urrgghhh.

rataplein

I'm really struggling with MP. i mean.... i just SUCK. even though, i'm playing a lot, and "training", i still see no improvements in my way of play.

And another thing... don't anyone thinks that if a team get a good kill streak, (the heli or the ac 130) you have almost no chance of winning the game. The kills form that streak add to the nex streak, and then you have 2 chopper, CONSTANTLY firing everyone for the rest of the game. If you took one down, they already have another, one after the other...

Should kill streaks come only from... normal kills?.

That's all, i'll keep "training" though!

Az987

all good things
Az987 said:
Wow WTF! Im playing multiplayer on my xbox and the screen just goes blank.. I can still hear my guy moving when I push buttons but I cant see shit.. So I installed it to my hard drive thinking that might fix and the first game I play it does it again..

WTF I wanna play dammit!

Anyone else have this problem

anyone else encountered this?

Just played my first dose of multiplayer and got to level 4 in one game. :lol I thought I'd take a while to get in to it but nope.

Airport is an amazing level.

Lkr

I suck at MP too, but you'll get good at it eventually. I was good at CoD4 a while ago, but I haven't played it in a long ass time.

cjtiger300 said:

No, he's a PC gamer, and he likes to have the best of the best (which is why he plays PC). It's like when people say Mirrors Edge looks and runs the same on consoles as PC, it doesnt. There are differences, like a higher/more stable framerate, better lighting, etc. You can't fault the guy for liking his games to be the best that is possible, and so he recommended the more stable of the two versions according to people's impressions so far.

If one of the games drops frames more often, thats an issue. If there's more tearing, it's a fair complaint. Poorer textures, etc. Just because its a slight difference that can be ignored or overlooked or put up with doesnt mean it isnt there and shouldn't be pointed out.

So let me get this straight.

I like to talk to my buddy across different games. He isn't interested in MW2. I can't talk to him while playing multiplayer and he's in borderlands? (360)

If so, screw that, IW.

brain_stew said:

There are differences, but like last time, most aren't going to give a flying fuck. Buy the version you want to jerk off too and be done with it.

cjtiger300 said:

And the people that feel the need to distort reality are just a-ok, right? Fact is, if someone asks a question you don't put your own agenda or spin on your answer, you either answer it or keep quiet.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
There are differences, but like last time, most aren't going to give a flying fuck. Buy the version you want to jerk off too and be done with it.

I don't dispute that, but surely its down to the person making the purchasing decision to decide whether the differences matter to him. Just give him the facts, and let him decide whether they're a big deal or not, flat out lying and spin doesn't help anybody.

JudgeN

brain_stew said:

While you are right, you have to remember not everyone goes to B3D analyze everything. Most people aren't as techincal as you.

JudgeN said:
While you are right, you have to remember not everyone goes to B3D analyze everything. Most people aren't as techincal as you.

But if they ask if there's a difference between the two version, why don't people just, you know, let them know if there is or not, and then let them decide if they're a big issue for them or not. I agree, for the vast majority of consumers, the differences are minor but for a certain percentage they're important, and if you're part of that percentage there's nothing more frustrating than someone giving you the (factually incorrect) standard response of "they're the same".

Proc

Just ordered some real triggers for the ps3 pad. Got mine at midnight launch. Opted out of the pc version in fears of the lack of community. Looks great on ps3 anyway.

Top Bottom