• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
BrassMonkey1010 said:
Also, does anyone else have problem hearing what the soldiers around you are saying during battles? I can't hear them at all over the excruciatingly loud guns and explosions.
I always seem to have this problem in CoD games. The mixing, especially for dialogue, isn't very good. It should really be coming out of the center speaker (if you have surround sound), but they only seem to use it 5% of the time.

leng jai

The sound design in MW games has always been pretty average. Far too bombastic and loud most of the time. They need to learn some subtlety. I had a quality laugh when MW2 got a perfect 10 for audio from IGN.

vatstep said:
I always seem to have this problem in CoD games. The mixing, especially for dialogue, isn't very good. It should really be coming out of the center speaker (if you have surround sound), but they only seem to use it 5% of the time.
I hate that I can't turn off the constant droning on of the support character of "UAV ONLINE" "AIRSTRIKE INBOUND" "ENEMY HAS A". Then there's the music that you can't independently turn down either that randomly comes on during gameplay. If they would just shut this shit off I could probably actually hear a footstep or two.

I think fears of Blind Eye being overpowered were vastly overstated. Obviously, we'll need to see how the metagame develops, but I'm seeing a lot less helicopters and offensive streaks in the air than I expected. Granted, I'm playing on Wii, so there's no Reaper, but I'm seeing a lot more Support than Assault overall.

The first perk slot opening up is a great thing. I really have to sing the praises of Recon. Concussion grenades are already fantastic in this game, and the ability to chuck one into a room and get a mini-Blackbird for a few seconds is amazing. I've gotten so many kills from Recon and Steady Aim with the UMP.

I'm actually incredibly surprised and impressed with the SP in this game. After finishing Blops a few days ago playing this feels like such a step up. I also really appreciate how they tried to open up the levels more by supplying a few alternate routes through the combat zone.

Everything feels so much more satisfying and I'm having at least as much fun with this one as I did with CoD 2 which has been my favorite of the series.

I have seen nothing that beats the raw spectacle of this game before and that it can run at 60 or thereabouts is an incredible technical achievement. A new engine is something they do not need.

Jangocube

Banned
Sooooooooooo, this game is pretty fun, but, BUT, I cannot stand the constant UAV, AUAV crap.

Yes yes, there are perks and secondary's to deal with it, but I'd like to play with different kits some games without everyone knowing exactly where I am every second of every game.

belier

I'm not able to play MP. SP works fine.
When I try to launch MP, I get a message like (Translation from spanish): "Game not currently available. Try again later."
Game is legit, activated and downloaded trough Steam.
I've checked the cache integrity and everything seems to be fine.

I've also disabled firewall and antivirus to see if that could be the origin of the problem.

Steam forums are offline.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Strider2K99 said:
Dome is nowhere near as crazy as Shipment, Nuketown, or Rust, but that's me.

nothing was worse than shipment and Rust. In Nuketown you could at least make a strategy and execute it. Haven't been able to in Dome, if there's one map I hate its this one, if they fix the matchmaking issues, this could become my favorite MW game.

GlamFM

Banned
After playing this for 3 days straight I´m pretty sure these are the worst maps of the MW trilogy.
Campers heaven. Uninspired design no flow what so ever.

You can really tell that many of the lead guys from IW have left.

Touch

At level 60 now, still haven't found anything major wrong with the multiplayer. I die a lot from being shot in the back, but I think that's mostly my fault for not knowing the spawns and maps that great yet.

Bakaara is my favorite map so far. It's like a combination of Crossfire and Crash.

GlamFM said:
After playing this for 3 days straight I´m pretty sure these are the worst maps of the MW trilogy.

Then again....those same lead guys gave us the mess that was MW2 so.....

TacticalFox88 said:
Then again....those same lead guys gave us the mess that was MW2 so.....

MW2 was a bit chaotic, but the game was almost perfect in basically every other way and it was a huge upgrade over MW1 both in terms of gameplay and presentation.

IsayFever

Anybody else having an issue with the game freezing their whole system during multiplayer matches? It's happened to me like 5 times now (ps3)

M.W.

Weird, this game doesn't feel like COD. I'm talking strictly MP. I know I know, but it's weird and hard to explain.

Micerider

GlamFM said:

Well, then they have even more chances to sell a wonderfull map pack at 15 bucks! yeah! :p

M.W.

IsayFever said:
Anybody else having an issue with the game freezing their whole system during multiplayer matches? It's happened to me like 5 times now (ps3)

My system (360) doesn't freeze up entirely, but I get black screens for 30 seconds at a time before and after matches. It's annoying.

GECK

Touch said:
I die a lot from being shot in the back, but I think that's mostly my fault for not knowing the spawns and maps that great yet.

No, I'm pretty sure that's a feature.

All the maps feel claustrophobic as fuck.

LEGGZZZZ

Lagspike_exe said:
MW2 was a bit chaotic, but the game was almost perfect in basically every other way and it was a huge upgrade over MW1 both in terms of gameplay and presentation.

o_O Man I wish I felt the same way as you.

GlamFM said:

I have to agree. The camping in this game is fcking insane-and that's saying something for a COD game. I like Survival mode quite a bit-

From the videos I saw online, the damage was off the charts but with my experience it seems like MW2 at least-there are plenty of tunes I knew I should have killed a guy but he just keeps on running.

hamchan

Haven't really had an issues with campers but I'm mostly playing domination, where camping is actually a legit strategy.

Individually, these maps are okay, but collectively they're pretty bad because of how similar they all play out; A bunch of close range, corner encounters. There is practically no mid to long range combat at all, and most of the cover lying around is poorly placed. Most of the cover serves to obstruct your view or make it a pain to navigate around. I'm not feeling this game, and it's not because I'm feeling burned out or anything on CoD,the game is just kind of bleh. I'd rather play MW2 or Black ops honestly.

M.W.

computers putin' said:
Individually, these maps are okay, but collectively they're pretty bad because of how similar they all play out; A bunch of close range, corner encounters. There is practically no mid to long range combat at all, and most of the cover lying around is poorly placed. Most of the cover serves to obstruct your view or make it a pain to navigate around. I'm not feeling this game, and it's not because I'm feeling burned out or anything on CoD,the game is just kind of bleh. I'd rather play MW2 or Black ops honestly.

The maps feel exactly the same. There's zero point in voting for one over another. Horrible maps.

I really like all the maps, except the village. But yeah...something doesn't feel right about them. Or maybe it's the multiplayer in general. Either way, I'm loving it. But something is off I can't quite put my finger on.

As for people complaining about the audio---it twiked me off when I couldn't go in and individually adjust dialogue, sound effects, music. I had a lot of dialogue I could hardly hear, mostly because of the bad mixing at times.

Lagspike_exe said:

MW2 is a piece of shit that is infuriating to play.

madmaxx350 said:
nothing was worse than shipment and Rust. In Nuketown you could at least make a strategy and execute it. Haven't been able to in Dome, if there's one map I hate its this one, if they fix the matchmaking issues, this could become my favorite MW game.

Shipment is the best map ever lol

M.W.

Vincent Alexander said:
But yeah...something doesn't feel right about them. Or maybe it's the multiplayer in general.

The MP doesn't feel right. It's weird, can't pinpoint it.

zlatko

Banned
Had an absolute blast. Played for 15 hours straight, and only went negative a few games.

*kisses his level 30 P90* So glad this gun is back to form. I'm sprinting around the map 24/7 and beasting! A few of the maps are throwaways, all of them aside from one I don't know the name of look uninspired, but the remaining majority just play so smooth for me as a big fan of CoD4.

The one map I love is the one where it is raining, and I think it's name starts with B? Not 100% sure, but it reminds me of that Bazaar map in CoD4 a lot. Super fun.

The map I hate the most is the mall Arkaden or whatever. I have a hard time telling what character models look like on that map, tons of camping goes on, and it's sort of a cluster fuck.

I had several issues with matchmaking as with all CoDs. Friends not making it into games, it taking forever to find games, and we had several latency issue games. It was strange because it would show 3-4 bars for everyone, but there was EXTREME teleporting and skipping for me and my buddies. Thankfully it was only about 2 games.

My one gameplay complaint I can think of after 15 hours is maybe some won't agree with. In previous CoD's if you got into a gun exchange battle, the better aim and quicker shot would win. I'm finding here the big issue I'll have where I get outgunned is how dramatically they changed your character flinching when they are shot. You flail your gun what doesn't seem far, but the second you are shot, you twitch, you will be missing a good chunk of bullets even though you see your cross hairs right on them chest level. I believe this was to make that certain gun thing useful that is to lower how much you flinch, but if I could patch one thing about the game right away it would be that.

Best CoD since 4 TODAY.... I'll wait a month or so to let the dust settle to see if it can claim that title for keeps.

Vincent Alexander said:
MP, SP, or both? MW1 still had the infinite respawn baddies that made me want to blow my brains out.

MP.

I was fine with the SP but it has the knife ending doesn't it? That made me laugh.

Yeah, so there is something seriously wrong.

EVERY TIME I shoot something down with my SMAW launcher, I get that "Your weapon level has increased!" notification. Considering my SMAW is only level 6, I find it hard to believe this is actually happening.

What's the deal?

AnEternalEnigma said:
Yeah, so there is something seriously wrong.

EVERY TIME I shoot something down with my SMAW launcher, I get that "Your weapon level has increased!" notification. Considering my SMAW is only level 6, I find it hard to believe this is actually happening.

What's the deal?
Funny you mention it. I never thought of it, but now that you mention it---that happens all the time for me. Odd.

Kill cams drive me crazy. I don't want to throw a flash grenade, knife the guy immediately, then get gunned down to see on the kill cam that my flash grenade didn't affect the guy, my character never swung his knife, and I went down like a bitch.

I did the first 2 Special Ops missions on Veteran. They were both nuts. Looking forward to finishing them all. I'm confident this game in general will be the hardest Call of Duty on Veteran.

zlatko said:
Had an absolute blast. Played for 15 hours straight, and only went negative a few games.

*kisses his level 30 P90* So glad this gun is back to form. I'm sprinting around the map 24/7 and beasting! A few of the maps are throwaways, all of them aside from one I don't know the name of look uninspired, but the remaining majority just play so smooth for me as a big fan of CoD4.

The one map I love is the one where it is raining, and I think it's name starts with B? Not 100% sure, but it reminds me of that Bazaar map in CoD4 a lot. Super fun.

The map I hate the most is the mall Arkaden or whatever. I have a hard time telling what character models look like on that map, tons of camping goes on, and it's sort of a cluster fuck.

I had several issues with matchmaking as with all CoDs. Friends not making it into games, it taking forever to find games, and we had several latency issue games. It was strange because it would show 3-4 bars for everyone, but there was EXTREME teleporting and skipping for me and my buddies. Thankfully it was only about 2 games.

My one gameplay complaint I can think of after 15 hours is maybe some won't agree with. In previous CoD's if you got into a gun exchange battle, the better aim and quicker shot would win. I'm finding here the big issue I'll have where I get outgunned is how dramatically they changed your character flinching when they are shot. You flail your gun what doesn't seem far, but the second you are shot, you twitch, you will be missing a good chunk of bullets even though you see your cross hairs right on them chest level. I believe this was to make that certain gun thing useful that is to lower how much you flinch, but if I could patch one thing about the game right away it would be that.

Best CoD since 4 TODAY.... I'll wait a month or so to let the dust settle to see if it can claim that title for keeps.

lol,get some sleep man, the game will still be there for you tomorrow.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Must say I am so glad I got the PC version now, multi is ludicrously fun and like others have said this has to be the best CoD since MW1.

Also at this point I have to double dip and get the 360 version sometime down the line.

lmao this what popped up on my friend's comp.

KKv5u.png

Feel a little bad that he paid $100 for this...

Spoo

Put even more time into the MP (PC).

I really love it. Level 25 or 26, and it's been great. Host migration is perfect for those times when shit is fucked up, other than that I don't feel any lag, and my KDR in a game like this has never been so high (1.655). I actually DON'T run into campers, and I've been doing Team DM exclusively for now, getting used to the maps. What you do see, though, is the MW2 elite whining about the balances made, and they tend to also call "camper" even when it seems people are playing pretty reasonably.

I really disliked MW2. I can see myself playing this version though for some time.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Spoo said:
Put even more time into the MP (PC).

I really love it. Level 25 or 26, and it's been great. Host migration is perfect for those times when shit is fucked up, other than that I don't feel any lag, and my KDR in a game like this has never been so high (1.655). I actually DON'T run into campers, and I've been doing Team DM exclusively for now, getting used to the maps. What you do see, though, is the MW2 elite whining about the balances made, and they tend to also call "camper" even when it seems people are playing pretty reasonably.

I really disliked MW2. I can see myself playing this version though for some time.

Yep same here, PC community seems pretty awesome and most people say gg after every in the majority of games I've played.

Also I love how we get to play wager matches gametypes on dedicated servers.

Top Bottom