• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

hamchan

At the start of every match I mute everyone and now I'm loving the community! :D :D :D

Also, there is a surprising lack of dying because of air bullshit. I'm quite happy with the MP in this game. Kill confirmed and domination ftw.

Ballistik

Played 4 hours, reached level 42.

Not sure what my problem is but im having a really hard time doing good in this game. I was 1.78 in MW2 and 2.05 in Black Ops, here I'm around 1.6 and struggling to keep it there. Still.. pretty straightforward COD style fun I'm having.

Maps is my big complaint. So dull, uninspired mess. None of them seem to be memorable and they have no flow to them. Quality > Quantity.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Downturn is the worst map i have played in this game as of now. I hope my opinion changes in time, but a lot of these maps are pretty bad. Too many openings, weird flow, enemies sometime blend in the environment a bit too much.

Ballistik said:
Played 4 hours, reached level 42.

Not sure what my problem is but im having a really hard time doing good in this game. I was 1.78 in MW2 and 2.05 in Black Ops, here I'm around 1.6 and struggling to keep it there. Still.. pretty straightforward COD style fun I'm having.

Maps is my big complaint. So dull, uninspired mess. None of them seem to be memorable and they have no flow to them. Quality > Quantity.

Dude, I totally know what you're going through. My buddy and I are pretty beast in the past CoD games, but as of now are still adjusting to this game. Usually I get the hang of the game after my first match or 2, but this game is "off" and I too believe that maps are just plain bad compared to past games.

GECK said:
What does the Recon Drone actually do when it locks on?
When someone used one on me, it flashed me very momentarily (like a very short flash bang). I think it marks me also on the map for the enemy to see me as well...?

Just finished SP, and my god, this is just hell of the campaign! It's almost reached Black Ops by the awesomness and the amounts of drama per second. And it's actually way more interesting than multiplayer. I'll be honest, didn't expect it to be this great. I almost cried on
Soap and Sandman's death

hamchan

The_Player said:
Just finished SP, and my god, this is just hell of the campaign! It's almost reached Black Ops by the awesomness and the amounts of drama per second. And it's actually way more interesting than multiplayer. I'll be honest, didn't expect it to be this great. I almost cried on
Soap and Sandman's death

It really is quite a good campaign. No insanely annoying parts like MW2 and BLOPS had too.

Ok, unlocked my M4 with the Hybrid Sight.

Pretty much done with competitive multiplayer aside from when friends are online to drag me back on for some laughs in Domination or Kill Confirmed (which, BTW, is the most fun mode in the entire game as far as I'm concerned).

From her out, it's Spec Ops Mission mode with a hint of survival.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
computers putin' said:
I'm upset Score per minute was ditched as a stat. Spm was absolutely the best stat to determine a players skill level.

I hope Treyarch's next version of CoD to be the best one. Blops was inspired, but marked down for being technically garbage. Now that i'm sure they are using IW's latest engine, I hope that whatever tech issue they had in Blops to be gone and graphics at least on par with this game. I still worry about the ps3 version though.

AwesomeSauce said:
I hope Treyarch's next version of CoD to be the best one. Blops was inspired, but marked down for being technically garbage. Now that i'm sure they are using IW's latest engine, I hope that whatever tech issue they had in Blops to be gone and graphics at least on par with this game. I still worry about the ps3 version though.

agreed whole heartedly, Treyarch actually seems to genuinely care about the quality of the product they put out, even if they seemingly didn't have some of the know how or some of the tech Infinity Ward had. With IW's engine in hand we could very well see Treyarch put out the better game next year, and I think they can do it.

Trasher

Can someone explain to me what the four slots are for below the name when you are viewing the nameplates?

Edit: Errr not below the gamertag, but next to it on the right side. It's right underneath your rank.

hamchan

AwesomeSauce said:

I think it will be. The balance and maps in BLOPs were great imo.

Gianny

Does anyone have any problems with ELITE on callofduty.com? No MW3 Multiplayer Data
Before you can begin your Call of Duty: Elite experience, you must first complete a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 multiplayer match.
Yet I am already level 25. Now also my Black Ops info dissapeared.

My only complaints are DULL Uninspired and Smalls Maps! That's it.

hamchan

Gianny said:
Does anyone have any problems with ELITE on callofduty.com? No MW3 Multiplayer Data
Before you can begin your Call of Duty: Elite experience, you must first complete a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 multiplayer match.

ELITE is going through problems. Probably overload from too many users. It's funny that they're this unprepared, and they even ran a beta this time.

rezuth

Gianny said:

Really? I think they are great but then again I'm one of the biggest CS nerds around.

Trasher said:
Can someone explain to me what the four slots are for below the name when you are viewing the nameplates?

Edit: Errr not below the gamertag, but next to it on the right side. It's right underneath your rank.

They're to denote your prestige in the previous CoD games that had it: 4, W@W, MW2 and BlOps.

Today was...better. Reached level 50 and in general I've figured out things a bit better.

It's really important to remain alert in MW3. Spawns are incredibly punishing - to the point where it's not uncommon for them to spawn ten metres behind you - so you have to play a real 360 degree game. Typically in CoD, if you're somewhere then enemies won't appear there. That's not the case in MW3 and it changes the game massively. Awareness is more important than ever and UAV's have never been more important.

Playing well consistently in MW3 is a rather tough affair. Since you can't really predict spawns, getting high killstreaks is a pain. I'm currently holding an underwhelming K/D of just over 3. I've pretty much just stuck to the lower killstreaks aside from a few maps where spawns seem a little more generous (ie Carbon), purely because getting high killstreaks isn't easy - it's as if MW3 doesn't want you to get them. The awful spawns and insanely high bullet damage basically mean that you're screwed if you're anywhere but the outskirts of a map.

Which brings me to my next point - controlling a space on the outside of the map appears to be the way to go. Rushing into the middle will almost always only get you killed due to the bullet damage and spawns. If you stick to the outside walls and patrol an area, you're able to pick people off from afar while generally preventing spawns next or behind you.

Now this isn't entirely foreign to previous CoD's - running out into the open was always a rather poor idea - but MW3 is another beast. I'm talking about the entire guts of map. Even if you're in a building somewhere in the middle of the map - typically a great choke point in previous CoD's - you're gonna get fucked up sooner or later. It's just the way the maps and spawns are designed. Choke points don't really exist anymore. Sooner or later you're gonna get killed in that choke point, and if you try to get out of there, you're a goner.

When I say 'patrol' an area, I don't mean camping. I'm talking about an entire 1/4 or 1/2 of the map. The key appears to be to stick to one side. Take Carbon for instance - try to avoid going into the interiors throughout the middle of the hill. Stick to the wings and use that your advantage. They won't spawn behind you or even around you.

leng jai

_Alkaline_ said:
Today was...better. Reached level 50 and in general I've figured out things a bit better.

It's really important to remain alert in MW3. Spawns are incredibly punishing - to the point where it's not uncommon for them to spawn ten metres behind you - so you have to play a real 360 degree game. Typically in CoD, if you're somewhere then enemies won't appear there. That's not the case in MW3 and it changes the game massively. Awareness is more important than ever and UAV's have never been more important.

Playing well consistently in MW3 is a rather tough affair. Since you can't really predict spawns, getting high killstreaks in a pain. I'm currently holding an underwhelming K/D of just over 3. I've pretty much just stuck to the lower killstreaks aside from a few maps where spawns seem a little more generous (ie Carbon), purely because getting high killstreaks isn't easy - it's as if MW3 doesn't want you to get them. The awful spawns and insanely high bullet damage basically mean that you're screwed if you're anywhere but the outskirts of a map.

Which brings me to my next point - controlling a space on the outside of the map appears to be the way to go. Rushing into the middle will almost always only get you killed due to the bullet damage and spawns. If you stick to the outside walls and patrol an area, you're able to pick people off from afar while generally preventing spawns next or behind you.

Now this isn't entirely foreign to previous CoD's - running out into the open was always a rather poor idea - but MW3 is another beast. I'm talking about the entire guts of map. Even if you're in a building somewhere in the middle of the map - typically a great choke point in previous CoD's - you're gonna get fucked up sooner or later. It's just the way the maps and spawns are designed. Choke points don't really exist anymore. Sooner or later you're gonna get killed in that choke point, and if you try to get out of there, you're a goner.

When I say 'patrol' an area, I don't mean camping. I'm talking about an entire 1/4 or 1/2 of the map. The key appears to be to stick to one side. Take Carbon for instance - try to avoid going into the interiors throughout the middle of the hill. Stick to the wings and use that your advantage. They won't spawn behind you or even around you.

The fuck?

Also the spawns in this game are horrendous. Have devs forgotten how to make a competent spawning system? It was horrid in Gears, BF3 and now MW3 is just as bad.

_Alkaline_ said:

Playing well consistently in MW3 is a rather tough affair. Since you can't really predict spawns, getting high killstreaks is a pain. I'm currently holding an underwhelming K/D of just over 3. I've pretty much just stuck to the lower killstreaks aside from a few maps where spawns seem a little more generous (ie Carbon), purely because getting high killstreaks isn't easy - it's as if MW3 doesn't want you to get them. The awful spawns and insanely high bullet damage basically mean that you're screwed if you're anywhere but the outskirts of a map.

KDR under 3 is underwhelming? Pft. Wow.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
leng jai said:
The fuck?

Also the spawns in this game are horrendous. Have devs forgotten how to make a competent spawning system? It was horrid in Gears, BF3 and now MW3 is just as bad.

Underwhelming K/D lol, especially at lvl 50 c'mon brah.

Did maintain at 4.5 K/D in Blops till i stopped caring to play which was around 6th prestige /brag

Maintaining position in this game is more necessary than ever. The way the systems work in this game really punishes people who tend to rush through the maps. In past games, rushers who knew how to play where the best players, but here, they seem to be struggling.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Having to level up guns is kind of annoying. I can see myself not having very much fun with this. Maybe I just suck but it seems to take forever.

AwesomeSauce said:
Maintaining position in this game is more necessary than ever. The way the systems work in this game really punishes people who tend to rush through the maps. In past games, rushers who knew how to play where the best players, but here, they seem to be struggling.

Very much this.

Playing that run'n'gun game in MW3 is really quite difficult. You'll get those initial two or three kills - for god's sake put on a UAV because it's criticial in this game - but soon enough a bunch of enemies with spawn behind you. You might be able to take one out but MW3 seems to really love spawning multiple enemies around you - with the game's insanely high bullet damage, winning these encounters is just plain fucking hard.

Not to say getting double/triple kills is hard - if you're flanking some unsuspecting fools, you're golden - but since this game likes to revenge spawn they'll generally know where you are and get you.

Mik2121

rezuth said:
Really? I think they are great but then again I'm one of the biggest CS nerds around.
CS? As in Counter Strike?

Because if so, the maps on Counter Strike are absolutely different than the ones here. In Counter Strike most maps usually have about 3 main paths and combat usually occurs mid-way or near the defenders' bases. Here it's just running around trying to catch each other.

Not saying that's bad, of course. I'm quite a COD fan, but the map layouts are nothing like Counter Strike.

MDavis360 said:
I really just fucking suck. Enemies kill me in one shot, but my bullets don't seem to do the same...

When I got the game early and played I killed everyone with few bullets, now it seems I have to empty half the mag into one enemy but when they shot me I die really fast.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
_Alkaline_ said:
Very much this.

Playing that run'n'gun game in MW3 is really quite difficult. You'll get those initial two or three kills - for god's sake put on a UAV because it's criticial in this game - but soon enough a bunch of enemies with spawn behind you. You might be able to take one out but MW3 seems to really love spawning multiple enemies around you - with the game's insanely high bullet damage, winning these encounters is just plain fucking hard.

Not to say getting double/triple kills is hard - if you're flanking some unsuspecting fools, you're golden - but since this game likes to revenge spawn they'll generally know where you are and get you.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

eek5

GECK said:
What does the Recon Drone actually do when it locks on?
It either shows dots or arrows. I think arrows but I'm not 100% sure since I'm the only one in my group that uses it

Just put in like 9 hours of multiplayer. Really enjoyed it. They seemed to build the maps around how I play, so I've been doing pretty well (around a 2.3 kdr). I like the maps way better than MW2 so far.

leng jai

Absoludacrous said:
Just put in like 9 hours of multiplayer. Really enjoyed it. They seemed to build the maps around how I play, so I've been doing pretty well (around a 2.3 kdr). I like the maps way better than MW2 so far.

Thats 0.7 worse than underwhelming bra.

amar212

_Alkaline_ said:
Very much this.

100% agree.

I find MW3 the best MP experience since my time on COD4, especially in Team Tactical which finally offers the same level of challenge as in COD4, despite having number of players raised to 4vs4.

Nothing wrong with the spawns, game evidently tries to be dynamic and balanced and prevent spawn-camping and it succeeds there by healthy magin unknown to it's predecessors.

IonicSnake said:
When I got the game early and played I killed everyone with few bullets, now it seems I have to empty half the mag into one enemy but when they shot me I die really fast.
Sane thing here-so frustrating...

eek5

With the exception of once instance, I've found the spawns in TDM to be pretty good. I've been able to flank and get a decent read on what direction is safe to run to (towards my teammates) or dangerous enemy spawn territory (away from my teammates). From there I can flank again and repeat.

Then again I played a bit of TDM in another game recently and it would spawn dudes right on you so my impressions of the spawn system might be a bit bias.

leng jai said:
Thats 0.7 worse than underwhelming bra.

Agreed.

But seriously, in regard to that comment, K/D expectations are all individual. Two years ago I would've been delighted with a K/D of 3. If MW3 was someone's first CoD, I reckon anything over 1 is a great effort.

Of course, it's just K/D and Black Ops emphasised SPM which is a better indicator of skill level. It's a shame that got eradicated for no apparent reason in this game.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
My biggest complaint is Elite not working. Loving the maps, loving the everything else. Maxed out my M4 today [except for headshots]

rezuth

Mik2121 said:
CS? As in Counter Strike?

Because if so, the maps on Counter Strike are absolutely different than the ones here. In Counter Strike most maps usually have about 3 main paths and combat usually occurs mid-way or near the defenders' bases. Here it's just running around trying to catch each other.

Not saying that's bad, of course. I'm quite a COD fan, but the map layouts are nothing like Counter Strike.
Of course they are totally different but now many maps seem to have a big center which focuses on narrow corridors instead of giant open spaces like in previous games. This really helps me being able to play the game well.

henhowc said:
Having to level up guns is kind of annoying. I can see myself not having very much fun with this. Maybe I just suck but it seems to take forever.
I'm loving it, already past level 24 on PP90M1 and 21 on UMP45.

Gianny said:

Yep it's pretty broken at the moment due to overload, both the 360 app and the website. I've registered my premium status on the 360 and it's still prompting me to "upgrade" on the website, and can't see any stats at all (I've only played a handful of games but more than 12 hours back).

I'm not overly impressed with the maps so far either. Since COD3, the maps in COD4 are by FAR my favourites and looks to remain that way with this iteration.

Any cool setups you guys have discovered? I'm stuck with Sleight of Hand Pro/Quickdraw Pro/Stalker Pro (I'm a level 22 peasant) but it works great - feels like I'm on speed. Though I usually swap Quickdraw for Hardline when using an SMG since the ADS time is lower anyway.

edit - Also, the Delta win theme is possibly the most badass thing ever

hamchan said:
What guns is everyone using? I'm still using the starting UMP45 and the M4A1 lol.

I've been impressed by the Type 95 and generally use it on the larger, more open maps (namely Village, Downturn, Interchange, Outpost). Even works well on Dome. I generally see it as a range gun and try to avoid close combat with it, though I've found its hipfire is surprisingly good despite looking unwieldy.

The M4AI is a laser is you chuck the RDS on it, but you'll find it struggles a little with firefiights (particularly if multiple enemies are shooting you) since the stopping power isn't fantastic. The SCAR is the superior option from my experience - that thing takes people down almost instantly and it seems pretty much as accurate to me. Plus you don't even need a RDS with it, whereas the sights on the M4A1 are typically horrid.

For the smaller maps or ones that focus on interiors (Hardhat, Carbon, Seatown, Underground) I've found the UMP to be very, very good. Chucking on rapid fire while using kick is a pretty magical thing from my experience and the closest to run'n'gun gameplay I've gotten out of the game. Haven't tried many other SMGs which says something as to how good the UMP is.

Not sold on silencers just yet. They really struggle at range and while it's handy not being seen on radar at all if you're using assassin along with it, you die so quickly in this game that the decreased damage seems to prove too costly, whereas I found them quite viable in Black Ops.

FerranMG

Is Elite supposed to work with Blops?
I downloaded the 360 app today, and it says I need to play MW3 before accessing anything. :/
I'd like to see my Blops stats through Elite.

Bad7667

I am finding it better to just stay in one place for a couple minutes than to even move in this game. I feel so vulnerable when turning a corner because if someone is on the other side waiting or watching the corner, I have no chance to kill him before he kills me. Unless there is a Advanced UAV.

I don't think the maps encourage camping at all, its how fast everyone is dieing that most players decide its safe not to move. That is a problem.

I have a little over 2 hours played but this may be my least favourite CoD game. I loved CoD4 and Black Ops.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
hamchan said:
What guns is everyone using? I'm still using the starting UMP45 and the M4A1 lol.

UMP45 seems to be the gun to use. Pissed they left shotguns as a primary weapon and not a secondary. With the maps being dense there isn't much need for anything other than SMG's and AR's.

Doomskull

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend a good build to counter freaking quick scopers?

Thinking heart beat sensor as Assassin can't be used for quick scoping.

Or riot shield? Damn these guys are annoying. Kind of spoiling the party for me.

Top Bottom