• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Victrix

*beard*
Quickdraw and the Type 95? Or any AR?

Got me. I have yet to run into a scary sniper (which is odd, given how nasty snipers are in this)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
OK I thought I liked the low health in this game, but I absolutely fucking hate it. Such a clusterfuck - either you get seen first and die, or you see them first and die. What a load of crap.

Doomskull said:
1. Can anyone recommend a good build to counter freaking quick scoopers?

Thinking heart beat sensor as Assassin can't be used for quick scoping.

2. Or riot shield? Damn these guys are annoying. Kind of spoiling the party for me.

1. Flank with a ranged gun.

I don't think quickscopers are an issue though. Quickscoping requires you to stand still while shooting as moving upsets the aim assist, so they're easy to kill from behind/side. And if they miss, they're fucked.

2. If they'e anything like MW2, riot shields are a poor option and really just there for the laughs. But if they're bothering you, stun with a concussion grenade and use a semtex or C4.

X-Frame

Ordered MW3 from Amazon yesterday when it was $8 off and had the $25 credit for 12 months of XBL with Two-Day shipping .. but they're delivering it today after 1 day.

<3 Amazon.

So what exactly are the benefits of Founders club? I know I get it for free foe buying the hardened edition, but what do you get verses just having elite premium?

FStop7

Banned
Man, I don't know what to think of this game. I played a little bit of the campaign and it looks pretty good, but I really don't like the CoD methodology of follow, even trigger, follow, event trigger.

Multiplayer looks a lot worse, graphically speaking. Like shockingly worse. There are a lot of things about it that scream 'hastily done cut and paste job'. But some matches have been a lot of fun. Others have been awful. I can't pin it down.

Doomskull

Neo Member
_Alkaline_ said:
1. Flank with a ranged gun.

I don't think quickscopers are an issue though. Quickscoping requires you to stand still while shooting as moving upsets the aim assist, so they're easy to kill from behind/side. And if they miss, they're fucked.

2. If they'e anything like MW2, riot shields are a poor option and really just there for the laughs. But if they're bothering you, stun with a concussion grenade and use a semtex or C4.

Thanks, will persevere, it just feels like I'm getting killed in the blink of an eye by these guys and they don't miss. It's almost as if IW intentionally made quick scoping easier and as a legitimate way to play the game rather than exploiting a game mechanic (which is how I saw it in MW2).

Oh well. Game is still fun but just not as much. Maybe I just need to get better...

Played only a handful of matches last night as it was a busy evening (and UPS, after not dropping a game off to my house past 2 all year long, didnt arrive until almost 7).

I dont feel I played enough to really give deep thoughts on anything, but here are some shallow thoughts:
- Levels seem small, as others have stated. Earned a SAM Turret, but couldn't really find a place for it where it would be even slightly out of the way. Potential for some points it would seem with all the UAV/Counter UAVs up, but it was taken down really quick both times I earned it.
- My first game, I died 8 times before I got my first kill. Coming off BF3 into this was a bit jarring! lol My K/D is under one after Day 1. I must be TERRIBLE at this game. My best KD in any CoD is in BLOPS and thats 1.45 or something. That must make me worse than a homeless begger in the CoD GAF Kingdom if 2-3 K/D is considered struggling.
- DAT NET CODE! Ran SILKY smooth on my end (360) and once I got my wits about me, the gunplay felt good. Yeah, the bullet damage may need to come down a bit, but it felt much, much, MUCH better than BLOPS, where you could empty out entire clips, getting hit markers the entire time, and NOT drop someone, then drop because they thought about shooting you. In the foot. Once.

We'll see how it goes. All the douchebags of the world are slaving away to find the maximum cheapest weapon setups and ways to play, I imagine by weeks end we'll see the fruits of their labor. All in all, I like it, as Ive liked all CoDs before it.

Dreaver

After playing a few hours more yesterday I do have to say the maps got better. There are a few 'better' (nothing remarkable though) ones but mostly meh.

My opinion is still that the maps are pretty boring and linear. They all look grey and dull. Most of them are pretty small as well (though I am happy there isn't any Derail sized map).

Biggest complainment would be the fact pretty much all maps are urban maps. I miss maps like Estate.

The sky seems to be way more emty as Modern Warfare 2 as well. Which is a good thing (fuck Harriers).

belier

I know quoting oneself is not nice, but...

belier said:
I'm not able to play MP. SP works fine.
When I try to launch MP, I get a message like (Translation from spanish): "Game not currently available. Try again later."
Game is legit, activated and downloaded trough Steam.
I've checked the cache integrity and everything seems to be fine.

I've also disabled firewall and antivirus to see if that could be the origin of the problem.

Steam forums are offline.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Another thing I've noticed is that air-based killstreaks are almost useless for quite a lot of maps. Since there are so many interiors for people to hide in, and spawn trapping is essentially removed, it's very difficult to pull off the kinds of numbers you'd get with, say, an AC-130 on Wasteland or chopper gunner on Jungle.

Garjon

Anyone know a good counter for lag? It's absolutely horrible on my end at the minute. You know there's something wrong when I somehow 'miss' at point blank range with the SPAS then the other guy suddenly turns round and kills me instantly with some sort of LMG. Also, a number of the maps are downright irritating; my most hated one so far is Underground with it's maze like structure and bland design, the one is Paris is another one. Of course, I have yet to play the majority of the maps so far since the damn connection falters in 3 out of every 4 games.

Is there any way to switch off the announcer? I'm sick of constantly hearing, 'Losing B!' 'UAV online!' 'They've destroyed your SAM turret!' 'We're losing this fight!'. There is also a distinct lack of people bothering to shoot down air support and with some of the better maps based outside, this can become quite problematic. I mean, do people just rely on others having SAM turrets or something. Getting some bad MW2 vibes from this so far and I am not enjoying it nearly as much.

On a more positive note, I do like the Support killstreaks. Finally some sort of deterrent exists to prevent the ridiculous kill-whoring in this game.

_Alkaline_ said:
Another thing I've noticed is that air-based killstreaks are almost useless for quite a lot of maps. Since there are so many interiors for people to hide in, and spawn trapping is essentially removed, it's very difficult to pull off the kinds of numbers you'd get with, say, an AC-130 on Wasteland or chopper gunner on Jungle.

Yeah. I just roll UAV, Counter UAV, Recon Drone/Advanced UAV/nothing(so my streak resets after 5 points :p). The offensive killstreaks are underwhelming in MW3. Not a bad thing though.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The Xtortionist said:
I don't know if I should feel pissed at their laziness, or nostalgic at another look at that epic Pipeline building.

Im just sad all around. The entire game is like a shell of CoD. The teat finally dried up.

Sn4ke_911 said:

Huh? This sort of thing is done all of the time. Shame on them? It's just good sense. It's a building. A single asset. Why not recycle it? Most people wouldn't even notice.

Gr1mLock said:
Im just sad all around. The entire game is like a shell of CoD. The teat finally dried up.

And man, this is just hyperbole. I didn't expect to start defending CoD, but precisely what were people expecting from MW3? It's more of the same. It's finely polished, but it's more of the same. That's what most people wanted, isn't it? Seriously, what were you expecting?

Gr1mLock said:

An awesome shell coated in chocolate, you mean.

Game is great and by far the best since CoD4, maybe even better than CoD4...there's such a ridiculous amount of options in-game that it'll take a while to answer that. But I think it's possible.

edit - Question: Does anyone else's game randomly freeze/unfreeze exactly four times and disband the party chat? MW2, Black Ops, and Reach did this to me, now MW3 does too. Don't know if it's my console or just a bad lag spike.
the fact you die in 2 damn bullets is a joke....

It definitely isn't two bullets to kill with non-snipers/shotguns unless you get headshots, which is how it's always been.

KaYotiX

Banned
the fact you die in 2 damn bullets is a joke.... it should be thier first priority to fix. Its like playing insta gib unreal tournament. The maps are decent, and i think they would be alot more fun if you could actually have shootouts and not die afer a 2 second encounter.

The Xtortionist said:
Yeah. I just roll UAV, Counter UAV, Recon Drone/Advanced UAV/nothing(so my streak resets after 5 points :p). The offensive killstreaks are underwhelming in MW3. Not a bad thing though.

No doubt that support is superior to assault. I think that's become pretty clear now and it would still be the case even without extra bonus of them not being reset. For most maps, the better assault rewards (pavelow, reaper, osprey) are still only going to get you a handful of kills as opposed to 10-20, meaning that IW was right when they said that the game would be focussed on gun-on-gun action. That's exactly the case because UAV's are up all the time and people are hunting for kills. Which is how it should be.

The problem, of course, is that the gunplay has come with its own problems.

Boy do I love the assault drone though.

-Stranger-

Not really interested in the multiplayer at all, looks to unrealistic.
I'm more of a Battlefield man
I might give this a rent to play the campaign and spec ops though.

_Alkaline_ said:
The problem, of course, is that the gunplay has come with its own problems.

The gunplay just gets iffy for me when I'm on a 2-bar, which should never happen with my connection (12MB down, 6 up, wired). They need to iron out the matchmaking. Saying it can't find a match at <50ms ping then throwing me into a <125ms lobby is bullshit when half the world's population is playing.

Doomskull said:
Thanks, will persevere, it just feels like I'm getting killed in the blink of an eye by these guys and they don't miss. It's almost as if IW intentionally made quick scoping easier and as a legitimate way to play the game rather than exploiting a game mechanic (which is how I saw it in MW2).

Oh well. Game is still fun but just not as much. Maybe I just need to get better...
I played MP for over 3 hours last night and I believe I was killed by a sniper 2 or 3 times.

MrDaravon

BruiserBear said:
I played MP for over 3 hours last night and I believe I was killed by a sniper 2 or 3 times.

Yeah, I played most of the day yesterday and I would go a bunch of matches without ever getting sniped, but then when it WAS happening it would be the same one or two people just ridiculously quickscoping until they left or we left the lobby. So it's pretty goddamn bad when it's happening, but in the grand scheme of things it wasn't happening that much.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Kermit The Dog said:
Anyone having trouble finding a game? I've been searching for 10 minutes and it hasn't found a single game.

Australia. = (

Had that issue yesterday, couldn't find games and when it did it counted all the way down then server disconnects and shit. Haven't tried today at all.

DarkFlow

Banned
This is getting redonkulous at this point with elite. It's going on day 2 and it's STILL broke. Saying more people are using it then expected is laughable, they knew a shit ton of people were going to buy and use it. The hardened edition has been sold out for awhile. They are doing a piss poor job convincing people to drop 50 bucks on this shit that's for sure.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Played a bit more and I'm really enjoying Kill Confirmed; not as much clusterfuckery as TDM. I do wanna try playing some of the objective modes though. Tried jumping into Domination but the matchmaking took forever then dropped me in a game by myself against a team of 6. Did not enjoy that very much.

So far I'm not enjoying multiplayer as much as I did with Black Ops. Is it weird that a developer that has generally played second fiddle to Infinity Ward managed to create such a balanced and fun multiplayer suite with Black Ops? The level design here is pretty boring, not in terms of level layout, which is great, but in terms of visual design. Everything is brown and grey. In Black Ops you had snow maps, jungle maps, industrial maps, the neon yellows of Nuketown, etc... Here's it's just grey, grey, and more grey. Oh look, a splotch of brown.

Then again I've only been playing it for a day and I'm still only level 14, so I haven't seen much at all of the later stage guns/equipment.

Rainy Dog

Sn4ke_911 said:

It actually looks prettier in COD4, though!

Just got this game but currently debating whether to open it or not. Can it really recapture that magic of COD4? I honestly need more convincing... There was just so many things right with that game. I had a lonely walk around the maps by myself yesterday and it was strangely nostalgic. Almost felt like revisiting places from my childhood or something.

Hmm, I think I'll leave it sealed and wait for more impressions over the rest of this week and coming weekend. I'll still be guaranteed to make a profit if I offload it next week.

ilnadmy said:
In Black Ops you had snow maps, jungle maps, industrial maps, the neon yellows of Nuketown, etc... Here's it's just grey, grey, and more grey. Oh look, a splotch of brown.

You mean like Outpost, Village and Carbon? ;)

I agree though to a certain degree - there's definitely a little too much of an urban focus. A few novelty maps ala Nuketown or Terminal wouldn't have hurt.

When I fire shotguns blasts at people, it seems to give them a warm fuzzy hug of love. Sadly, they return that kindness with a bullet to the face.

2San

Doomskull said:

You do realize that quick scoping takes a certain amout of skill. In fact a lot of quickscopers are lot better with the standard rifles and smg's. They just enjoy playing that way.

2San said:
You do realize that quick scoping takes a certain amout of skill.

If by 'certain amount' you mean 'not much', then I agree.

Standing still and using aim assist isn't a particularly thrilling example of skill.

2San

_Alkaline_ said:

Standing still and using aim assist isn't a particularly thrilling example of skill.
I haven't played CoD for a while, but in mw2 days they where the most atacking players around and where running al the time.

harrytang

Chriswok said:
When I fire shotguns blasts at people, it seems to give them a warm fuzzy hug of love. Sadly, they return that kindness with a bullet to the face.

that's weird. i was using the spas yesterday and doing great with it. sleight of hand, quick draw and steady aim. shot from the hip within about 10 feet was a kill. a lot of these levels have small corridors so stick to those, and not the open areas. also run with others and mop up loose ends instead of being the primary attacker if you can help it.

2San said:
I haven't played CoD for a while, but in mw2 days they where the most atacking players around and where running al the time.

Quick-scoping requires you to stand still while shooting as moving upsets the aim-assist. I didn't mean that quickscopers stay constantly still the entire match.

Quickscoping multiple targets in succession is certainly a nice display of skill and looks pretty great, but quickscoping itself is far from difficult.

Touch

I miss when quickscoping was about resetting the scope animation so that you could zoom again "quickly" and to maintain map awareness without have tunnel vision. Pffftt, modern games.

harrytang said:
that's weird. i was using the spas yesterday and doing great with it. sleight of hand, quick draw and steady aim. shot from the hip within about 10 feet was a kill. a lot of these levels have small corridors so stick to those, and not the open areas. also run with others and mop up loose ends instead of being the primary attacker if you can help it.

Must need practice with it, but it just felt like it was doing nothing. Hit a guy 3 times and he was still standing. Couldn't have been more than 10-20 yards away. The spread seems really narrow too.

Might try your setup and see if it improves.

aku:jiki

_Alkaline_ said:

GAF still hasn't gotten over this delusion?

2San

_Alkaline_ said:
Quick-scoping requires you to stand still while shooting as moving upsets the aim-assist. It doesn't actually mean quickscopers stay constantly still the entire match.

Quickscoping multiple targets in succession is certainly a nice display of skill and looks pretty great, but quickscoping itself is far from difficult.
It's harder to use then than the rifles. I've yet to meet a quick scoper that isn't a lot better with the rifles and smg's

codhand

Sn4ke_911 said:
rabble.jpg

Top Bottom