• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

X-Frame

Alienshogun said:
If there's one thing that makes this game fucking awesome, it's the rage radio.

I love hearing them bitch and cry when you get them.

One kid yelled "OH YEAH FUCKING CAMP DUDE" when I had scoped in knowing he would be there, and another one went fucking ballistic when he died across the map to my bouncing betty.

That's the great thing about it, no matter where they die, you hear them as they talk.

So good.

Does this include killing people from long distance away? Like if I snipe someone and I hear someone raging is that the person I killed? How long does that comm window stay open?

I love hearing it too, way more people last night with mics that I found. :D

Sethos

Banned
aku:jiki said:
I'm convinced that people's major problem with the maps is the spastic spawn points.

Then explain why they suck just as much in Search & Destroy.

It's all about the fucking layout, there's a path leading to everywhere, you can get from one end to the other in the blink of an eye and every tactical position is rendered useless because there's 2-3 and even 4 places you can get shot from all the time.

These maps are made with strict anti-camping in mind, so you can barely sit, sneak or watch anywhere without having to 360* scan your sector to feel somewhat safe. Search & Destroy is so not what it used to be.

But I do agree, the spawn points are a massive pile of shit as well that drags down respawn modes.

The only map I've come to enjoy is Seatown, as it's one of the few maps that feel somewhat bound to the old layout mantra plus it has that de_dust'ish feel.

aku:jiki

I found a new glitch that I didn't enjoy very much... I streaked up a Reaper and ran to a corner to use it to get an AC, but the problem was that it was my second Reaper that match and the game thought my first one was still up. There'd be red light traces popping up on the map and no one was allowed to launch another Reaper for the rest of the match. And, of course, some guy comes dashing around the corner while I'm busy swearing at the game for not allowing me to use my stuff. :(

X-Frame said:
Like if I snipe someone and I hear someone raging is that the person I killed? How long does that comm window stay open?
Yes, and it's open for like a second or two. He can't hear you at all.

The guy above definitely got an earful when he caught me trying to launch my Reaper! :lol

Doomskull

Neo Member
I'm convinced that people's major problem with the maps is the spastic spawn points. Most of the maps are awesome for Demolition. Only thing that bothers me is that there's a few too many pointless decorations going on - like those metal rods sticking out of walls on Hardhat so you can't see properly, or the flipped cars on Interchange that you can't shoot over.

I disagree, even if the spawns were perfect the maps would still suck.

They just don't feel like COD maps. They feel like mazes. I mean, just take a look at this shit:

http://www.themodernwarfare3.com/mw3/multiplayer-maps/village/

Doomskull said:
I disagree, even if the spawns were perfect the maps would still suck.

They just don't feel like COD maps. They feel like mazes. I mean, just take a look at this shit:

http://www.themodernwarfare3.com/mw3/multiplayer-maps/village/
What about Village? None of those "mazey" parts actually play like mazes. The cave and areas around it are basically completely open and the only annoying part of the whole map is the market or whatever it's supposed to be. That's less than 1/5 of the map.

Sethos said:
It's all about the fucking layout, there's a path leading to everywhere, you can get from one end to the other in the blink of an eye and every tactical position is rendered useless because there's 2-3 and even 4 places you can get shot from all the time.

These maps are made with strict anti-camping in mind, so you can barely sit, sneak or watch anywhere without having to 360* scan your sector to feel somewhat safe. Search & Destroy is so not what it used to be.
So you're mad that you can't camp anymore. You won't have an easy time finding sympathy for that.

Sethos

Banned
So you're mad that you can't camp anymore. You won't have an easy time finding sympathy for that.

Yes Mr. ADHD, I like to SNEAK and cover BOMB SITES in Search & Destroy.

It's funny how some idiots think S&D is a rush mode. It's the ONLY mode without respawn, ONLY mode where we can be somewhat tactical in our playstyle and it has worked fine for 4 generations of the game, now they destroyed it.

You got like a billion other shitty rush modes you can stick to, no need to boo-hoo how other game-modes are played.

Doomskull

Neo Member

Ironically these maps have the opposite effect than the one intended.

People are camping because if they move they're getting killed from any of 8 different directions.

belier

Sethos said:
Yes Mr. ADHD, I like to SNEAK and cover BOMB SITES in Search & Destroy.

It's funny how some idiots think S&D is a rush mode. It's the ONLY mode without respawn, ONLY mode where we can be somewhat tactical in our playstyle and it has worked fine for 4 generations of the game, now they destroyed it.

You got like a billion other shitty rush modes you can stick to, no need to boo-hoo how other game-modes are played.

Then maybe is a question of teamplay, with the players on the defending team making a coordinate defence, covering all the possible ways of access...

Sethos

Banned
belier said:
Then maybe is a question of teamplay, with the players on the defending team making a coordinate defence, covering all the possible ways of access...

You see, it isn't with these maps. Because there's several access points around the map; fair. Problem is, these maps are so finely crafted to make it easy to counter anyone defending an area. There's 2-3 and 4 angles where you can shoot someone sitting in a house, defending a bomb site. So it just turns into this big maze with infinite possibilities of countering. Very hard to explain but when you've played S&D for 4 Call of Duty games, this is something completely different. By counter I mean simply getting shot or purely bumrushed. In the old games you had to use flashbangs and really coordinate an attack on a position.

Plus every single area that LOOKS like it has defending potential, is just plastered with crates, debris, a car or an invisible wall now.

And Doomskull is spot-on. Now people aren't camping out of tactical need, they just find the most random corner to survive, because the maps cater for the rushers.

Some people like to use strategy and don't feel the need to hold the run button all day long like this is Super Mario Bros.

I enjoyed Call of Duty because I can play strategically using my brain or rush using my twitch instincts. I love SnD, and in objective modes or TDM, I can lock down entire areas of maps in Black Ops which really benefits my team.

MW3 maps cater only to the lowest common denominator braindead dudebro run 'n' gunners who cry "camper!" when they're killed by someone with higher ground/a strategic position/an assault rifle/etc etc etc. And by catering to only one play type, IW has made the game infinitely more boring and also, counterintuitively, made players more weary than ever of being shot in the back.

Freezie KO said:
Some people like to use strategy and don't feel the need to hold the run button all day long like this is Super Mario Bros.
So tired of that line of crap thinking. Being fast and mobile requires strategy too, I just come up with my tactics faster than you slowpokes sitting in corners do. You are not supremely clever because you found a piece of cover in a high-traffic area.

Freezie KO said:
lowest common denominator braindead dudebro run 'n' gunners who cry "camper!"
Yeah... Roll fucking eyes.

Also, here are some map layouts from CoD4:

110607_cod4MAPS_backlot--screenshot.jpg

110607_cod4MAPS_ambush--screenshot_.jpg

110607_cod4MAPS_district--screensho.jpg

Look at those retarded mazes! There are pathways everywhere!

Sethos

Banned
You can't assess anything from top-down views, it's all within the maps and the tiny details in how areas are covered, where you can place yourself, how your overview is of a certain area compared to what the enemy sees and how many areas you need to cover in defensive position around bomb-sites.

X-Frame

Does anyone else carry a Stinger with most of their classes?

I found that I rarely need to use my secondary because of the abundance of weapons on the ground to pick up so I always either ignored it or swapped it out.

When I started carrying a Stinger instead my secondary has gotten much more use. Shooting down everything from heli's to Reapers to UAV's.

Sethos

Banned
X-Frame said:
Does anyone else carry a Stinger with most of their classes?

I found that I rarely use need to use my secondary because of the abundance of weapons on the ground to pick up so I always either ignored it or swapped it out.

When I started carrying a Stinger instead my secondary has gotten much more use. Shooting down everything from heli's to Reapers to UAV's.

A lot of my friends seem to do the same. I just can't, the MP9 has saved my ass so many times in hectic situations that I just can't part with it <3

Sethos said:
You can't assess anything from top-down views, it's all within the maps and the tiny details in how areas are covered, where you can place yourself, how your overview is of a certain area compared to what the enemy sees and how many areas you need to cover in defensive position around bomb-sites.
Again, those are problems for campers and I really don't care about that. This game isn't black and white; you don't have to either sit still behind cover or constantly run around with akimbo's.

So tired of that line of crap thinking. Being fast and mobile requires strategy too, I just come up with my tactics faster than you slowpokes sitting in corners do. You are not supremely clever because you found a piece of cover in a high-traffic area.

Yeah... Roll fucking eyes.

To be honest, it's about balance. I like rushers, and sometimes play like that (although when I do it's with a shottie). But more fun for me is to be strategic and think about how to clear a room, take it, then use that room and the surrounding areas to control a large sector of the map.

The "sitting in corners" argument is ridiculous. I dislike corner campers (especially in dark maps like Hanoi), but I never rage at them since their strategy is equally valid and actually necessary to balance out how easy/difficult it should be to take control of a space.

The game would be boring if nobody rushed, but it's equally boring when everyone rushes.

As for the maps you showed, it is difficult to show why those are great maps and MW3's are shit, but I'll list a few reasons:

1. Verticality. Both Backlot and Ambush have very smart uses of buildings and what the buildings allow you to see. Which leads to...

2. Sightlines! These you can actually see on your overheads. Notice how there are some short paths and other long paths? This gives the game diversity. It also encourages gameplay that balances getting somewhere fast and direct, yet putting yourself in danger, versus flanking but getting somewhere more slowly when your target may have himself moved on.

3. Cover. So important to the way Ambush works is cover. The ruins are intelligently designed and often give you waist-high or similar height cover. Basically, it's stuff you can fire over. Backlot utilizes windows or lack of them to indicate cover. District too has portholes and waist-high cars to fire behind (with a balanced risk associated).

The cover in MW3 by comparison looks as if it was distributed by imbecilic monkeys. It's often not at a logical height, whether designed for firing over or hiding behind. It seems randomly placed with the only objective being to obscure any sightline that is long enough to drop the range on an SMG. And the use of elevation is nonsensical at times, serving the same purposes. Hardhat's elevation is baffling, giving high ground (and headshots) to players for no reason that didn't work to earn or hold any sort of position or get any other strategic advantage besides where the game decided to spawn them.

Why are your stats so bad then?

Sethos

Banned
Again, those are problems for campers and I really don't care about that. This game isn't black and white; you don't have to either sit still behind cover or constantly run around with akimbo's.

And you're just putting me in the campers booth without knowing me. You just sound bitter and everyone not rushing around like you are campers.

Kermit The Dog said:

Oh, snap.

Freezie KO said:
The cover in MW3 by comparison looks as if it was distributed by imbecilic monkeys. It's often not at a logical height, whether designed for firing over or hiding behind. It seems randomly placed with the only objective being to obscure any sightline that is long enough to drop the range on an SMG. And the use of elevation is nonsensical at times, serving the same purposes. Hardhat's elevation is baffling, giving high ground (and headshots) to players for no reason that didn't work to earn or hold any sort of position or get any other strategic advantage besides where the game decided to spawn them.
See, now we're starting to agree. I don't think much of the cover is placed very intelligently either and one of the worst offenders is obviously Interchange. Why the hell can't we ADS over half the cars there? Not to mention the walkway on Dome, which lets you see 90% of the map. That's just too powerful a high ground.

But if this stuff is the problem, why does most of GAF just complain about the fact that the "maps are mazes?" That doesn't have much to do with poorly placed cover.

Kermit The Dog said:
Why is every single number on my stats higher than yours then? With your little 16 killstreak, racking up those MOAB's! :lol

See, now we're starting to agree. I don't think much of the cover is placed very intelligently either and one of the worst offenders is obviously Interchange. Why the hell can't we ADS over half the cars there? Not to mention the walkway on Dome, which lets you see 90% of the map. That's just too powerful a high ground.

But if this stuff is the problem, why does most of GAF just complain about the fact that the "maps are mazes?" That doesn't have much to do with poorly placed cover.

I don't speak for most of GAF, just for me.

def sim

Most of us are complaining about cluttered maps; which is exactly what you agree with. Generalizing GAF as if we're one entity is silly.

Why is every single number on my stats higher than yours then? With your little 16 killstreak, racking up those MOAB's! :lol

I don't label myself a COD expert like you do.
KuGsj.gif
I've played for about 6 hours and have around 800 kills. Last time I checked a few days back, you had something like 5000 kills and had the most play time of anyone I'd seen. Once uni exams are over, I'll have a real crack.

It'll be like Black Ops, where you had played something like 15 days more than me at one point, and I destroyed you on every stat with a kd of 2.55, almost double yours. Give me time to get to grips with MW3 and I'm sure I'll repeat those numbers.
3AQmK.gif

aristotle

Radec said:
finally golden type95.

will unlock this beast on p1.

Wrong quote I know but...

To join the clan, there should be an invite in the connect section on the website. I know I've sent at least one lol. On the main page, there is a "Feed" section that should show your invite.

JB1981

Doomskull said:
Afghan was a great map.

That is an objective fact.

In fact, most of the MW2 maps were at least good, some great. I'm struggling to name one that I really hated (maybe Rundown, Estate and Carnival were my least favourite).

I struggle to name one MW3 map that is fun. Maybe Interchange.

I like Bakaara, reminds me of Crash a little.

rance said:
Most of us are complaining about cluttered maps; which is exactly what you agree with. Generalizing GAF as if we're one entity is silly.
This discussion, on this very page, started with these quotes:

"It's all about the fucking layout, there's a path leading to everywhere, you can get from one end to the other in the blink of an eye and every tactical position is rendered useless because there's 2-3 and even 4 places you can get shot from all the time."
"They just don't feel like COD maps. They feel like mazes. I mean, just take a look at this shit:"

Of course I'll be referring to the people I'm talking to at the time. How silly is it to expect me to read minds and know your stance before you post it?

Anton Sugar said:
Almost as funny as someone calling Sethos a non-tactical camper.
I don't see myself having typed "non-tactical" anywhere on this page.

def sim

This discussion, on this very page, started with these quotes:

"It's all about the fucking layout, there's a path leading to everywhere, you can get from one end to the other in the blink of an eye and every tactical position is rendered useless because there's 2-3 and even 4 places you can get shot from all the time."
"They just don't feel like COD maps. They feel like mazes. I mean, just take a look at this shit:"

Of course I'll be referring to the people I'm talking to at the time. How silly is it to expect me to read minds and know your stance before you post it?

I don't see myself having typed "non-tactical" anywhere on this page.

You said most of GAF. Dude, are you reading what you're writing. My issue is you generalizing, not reading minds.

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm glad to see that nothing has changed since Black Ops and Aku and Kermit are still fighting. :lol

It seemed like the arguing was the only thing keeping the Black Ops thread alive.

The one thing I kinda respect about the maps is the the multiple pathways. There is a constant sense of paranoia since you can get shot from any angle, and even as a rusher you have to take a cerebral approach because you're always exposed.Not gonna lie, this frustrated me because I became so used to just running around dominating people in the previous 2 CoD's, but I welcome the challenge these new maps pose though.The maps still suck ( for reasons I've already mentioned ) and they're mostly too similar, but I have some respect for the philosophy behind the design of the maps.

Oh, I can see why S&D players are mad and they have my sympathies.Also, my sympathies to players who wanted organized, tactical, head on firefights ( I kinda wanted this too, but in this case there is always battlefield! ) this is a game for lone wolfs and rushers only.

I probably got reported a bunch of times last night for being a hacker because my clan hit level 10 and we were all rocking gold clan tags.

I really hope that IW "adjusts" the sniping. Pretty much every game I go into now has at the minimum 1 sniper on the opposing team who basically is just running around with a long range shotgun.

Freezie KO said:

I enjoyed Call of Duty because I can play strategically using my brain or rush using my twitch instincts. I love SnD, and in objective modes or TDM, I can lock down entire areas of maps in Black Ops which really benefits my team.

MW3 maps cater only to the lowest common denominator braindead dudebro run 'n' gunners who cry "camper!" when they're killed by someone with higher ground/a strategic position/an assault rifle/etc etc etc. And by catering to only one play type, IW has made the game infinitely more boring and also, counterintuitively, made players more weary than ever of being shot in the back.

While I don't think it's quite as bad as you make it seem like, I agree with the general cut of your jib. And IIRC aku is a pure rusher/spawn trapper, has admitted as such before, so it's easy to see why he'd disagree.

But then again I have not tried SnD on this version. I loved it in MW/WaW but the MW2 maps were so crappy for it imho and I never bothered in Blops.

rance said:
You said most of GAF. Dude, are you reading what you're writing. My issue is you generalizing, not reading minds.
I'm not trying to have a fight with you, dude! I'm saying that my assessment of the thread is that most people are making "maze complaints" and just a few of us are talking about the clutter and that I don't think that complaint makes any sense because the series has always had "mazey" maps.

Bumblebeetuna said:
And IIRC aku is a pure rusher/spawn trapper, has admitted as such before, so it's easy to see why he'd disagree.
That's mostly true! I'm not purely addicted to any one playstyle though, as I'll adopt a very defensive style for Mission, I'll try my hand at sniping on Bakaara and so on.

BigBlue1974 said:
I probably got reported a bunch of times last night for being a hacker because my clan hit level 10 and we were all rocking gold clan tags.
How do you gain clan XP and how is the gold clan tag different from party colors (which is a goldish yellow)?

Top Bottom