• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

computers putin' said:
It seemed like the arguing was the only thing keeping the Black Ops thread alive.

The one thing I kinda respect about the maps is the the multiple pathways. There is a constant sense of paranoia since you can get shot from any angle, and even as a rusher you have to take a cerebral approach because you're always exposed.Not gonna lie, this frustrated me because I became so used to just running around dominating people in the previous 2 CoD's, but I welcome the challenge these new maps pose though.The maps still suck ( for reasons I've already mentioned ) and they're mostly too similar, but I have some respect for the philosophy behind the design of the maps.

Very well said. MW3 doesn't gel with my playstyle, and it has left me frustrated.

I have always utilised my knowledge of spawn systems and map flow, relied on my intuition and speed and the element of surprise to outwit and outplay my opponents. I've always been exceptionally good at using the maps to my advantage. I dominated in COD4, WaW and BO this and I would beat anyone in a one-on-one situation. Anyone. My COD smarts (
KuGsj.gif
) have always made up for my comparatively poor accuracy and sloth-like abilities with the knife.)

BUT, I have had issues in my short time with MW3. I find it difficult to flank, and I find it infuriatingly difficult to generate an element of surprise due to the boxy, 360 degree nature of the maps. Coupled with the minuscule health and overpowered nature of sniper rifles, I'm having a cunt of a time getting settled. I know I'm good, but I've never felt so convinced that the game is helping everyone around me be good while simultaneously neutering my playstyle, and evidently I'm doing horribly. I think I'm running at about 1.70kd, which is bad for me.

Victrix

*beard*
Kermit The Dog said:
I have always utilised my knowledge of spawn systems and map flow, relied on my intuition and speed and the element of surprise to outwit and outplay my opponents.

It'll come. I'm approaching 48 hours and I'm finally, finally getting to grips with some of the rougher maps (Arkaden! Surprisingly easier than it looks at first).

Carbon and Interchange however, I cannot crack. Those maps fucking destroy me.

And fuck Village in Domination. Literally the only map/mode combo that will make me rage. That fucking cave spawn, god.

One thing is that the spawns are very particular to the map/mode combo, and some of them are just painful. Team Defender is hiliariously awful if you aren't careful, and Kill Confirmed can be bad as well (this isn't too surprising really, given that they're new modes).

Dom has the problem of lots of triangular maps, causing weird spawns.

For Team Defender, try to stay *back* from the flag. It always spawns players near it, so if you spawn, run towards the flag, you're asking to get shot in the ass. If you wait back and let a spawn cycle complete, you can usually roll in with the enemies all ahead of you, instead of around/behind you.

For Kill Confirmed, try to stay somewhat near your teammates. If you venture off on your own, you risk an enemy spawning near you.

TDM, you're on your own, I don't play that mess of a mode :p

Demo is fine generally. HQ isn't bad (hard as always). Sab is bad. No one plays sab. CTF is fine.

All that said, I definitely agree, between the spawn tweaks, the modes, and these maps, I am getting shot in the ass way, way, way, wayyyyyyy more than I ever did in MW1 or 2. I was looking at my accolades for MW2 the other day - and this is with over 10 days of played time, I had _5_ for 'most times shot in the back'. 5. I'm probably up to 50 in this game already.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
X-Frame said:
Does this include killing people from long distance away? Like if I snipe someone and I hear someone raging is that the person I killed? How long does that comm window stay open?

I love hearing it too, way more people last night with mics that I found. :D

Yep, and it's about 5 seconds or so.

Went back and saw why this guy raged, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2AOvrIzQ3g

Also, if you're curious of what the gold clan tag looks like, it's in the kill feed at the end.

Radec

Finally prestiged.

And im feeling the cod fatigue now. just like in blops, i'll probably stop now.
Ive experienced all maps and killstreak(except moab which is ridiculous.)

Managed to get to 2.53 kd.

It was fun experience overall :)

aristotle

Radec said:
Finally prestiged.

And im feeling the cod fatigue now. just like in blops, i'll probably stop now.
Ive experienced all maps and killstreak(except moab which is ridiculous.)

Managed to get to 2.53 kd.

It was fun experience overall :)

Join the clan before you do please ;)

LowParry

Alienshogun said:
Yep, and it's about 5 seconds or so.

Went back and saw why this guy raged, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2AOvrIzQ3g

Also, if you're curious of what the gold clan tag looks like, it's in the kill feed at the end.

That clan tag is pretty slick. And the video proves, don't be quick on passing up the killcam when you have a claymore or betty down. It's the sweet afterlife revenge. And who's in charge of the GAF clan? Would like an invite in.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
CcrooK said:
That clan tag is pretty slick. And the video proves, don't be quick on passing up the killcam when you have a claymore or betty down. It's the sweet afterlife revenge. And who's in charge of the GAF clan? Would like an invite in.

Oh, I was alive when that happened. The guy he killed wasn't me. I threw that betty down behind the door and went to the otherside of the map to flank.

That's why I know the kill mic works anywhere.

Xtortionist runs the clan here's the thread to hit him up in.

Edit: NM I see you found it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
mf.luder said:
Geese, I am having trouble with this game. By this time in Black Ops I was keeping my head above water but here I am level 44 or so and my K?D is like 0.7, embarassing.

I feel ya, I was rocking a 0.7 K/D for a while in this game but finally pulled it up past 1 this week. It really comes with learning the maps, and more importantly figuring out where all the action happens. Also one thing that helped me was to slow down. In Black Ops I was used to sprinting everywhere but here you really do have to take your time, aim whenever you turn a corner, and basically try not to get caught off guard. With so many flanking routes you don't want to be running around all the time because you're bound to get blindsided.

def sim

I'm going to give up almost exclusively using shotguns next prestige. Getting more than 2 or 3 kills in a row with a loud, single shot weapon is a bit of a challenge so the 1887's will have to go. Assault package with an SMG, most likely the P90, will be the next class I work with. I miss killstreaks. :(

JB1981

I love in killcam seeing dudes walk around almost the entire map aiming down the sights. So ridiculous and makes me hate this game sometimes.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
JB1981 said:
I love in killcam seeing dudes walk around almost the entire map aiming down the sights. So ridiculous and makes me hate this game sometimes.

Killcam doesn't even last that long.

What you're probably seeing is them knowing you're there or going to be there and sighting in.

rance said:
I'm going to give up almost exclusively using shotguns next prestige. Getting more than 2 or 3 kills in a row with a loud, single shot weapon is a bit of a challenge so the 1887's will have to go. Assault package with an SMG, most likely the P90, will be the next class I work with. I miss killstreaks. :(

I've switched over to SMGs almost exclusively and it has really improved my play. I'm regularly getting 7-8 kill streaks which is a lot for me.

Fantasmo

Sethos said:
Yes Mr. ADHD, I like to SNEAK and cover BOMB SITES in Search & Destroy.

It's funny how some idiots think S&D is a rush mode. It's the ONLY mode without respawn, ONLY mode where we can be somewhat tactical in our playstyle and it has worked fine for 4 generations of the game, now they destroyed it.

You got like a billion other shitty rush modes you can stick to, no need to boo-hoo how other game-modes are played.
I sympathize with you Sethos. I really hate what they did to this game and there's no fix possible. Even if health skyrockets, maps have too many openings and the jelly effect will take over. And even if they did up the health, they'd have to up the timer too on all modes. Not only that, but this helps those who just want to get home from work and shoot things. What better way to do it, then make it easy to get kills with default weapons. A couple easy quick kills, and you've clinched a sale next year for those who don't have time to learn new strategies. No doubt about it, the spare time gamer makes them a shit ton of money. I'm not surprised, but I don't have to like it :-/

You'd think a forum like GAF would have people that want strategy, but it seems the opposite is true. Everytime I bring up evidence of how these changes crush strategy, people just smash it because they only want Assault Rifles and SMGs to work and how they hate when people hold down an area. Um, hello, that's part of a gunfight! I can't count how many times I've heard "stupid camper!" post-kill in the new death chat feature when I was literally just moving forward. Is this how short attention spans have become?? :( With the spawns and health and neutered options, this game is all about connection quality, period.

In terms of S&D, yeah, it really got beat up badly with the changes.

I'm so glad Sandy Ravage said it, as he's a respected player who is known to be very good, and that at least gives me some level of credibility.

Not a single gametype in this game works particularly well.

S and D would have been great with the loopy maps if the spawns weren't so absolutely idiotic. Some bomb sites, the offensive side can get to their before the defensive could even set up. It forces a nonstrategic speed-fest. You can still hide like a mother fucker, but at least in S and D, chances are you will be wasting your time.

Capture the Flag would be great if it didn't clearly show how unbalanced these shitty maps are. Unless the teams are extremely lopsided (or one side never bothers to try), you will be going into overtime every time and the winner will be determined by who gets what spawn point.

Demolition just doesn't work. Not a knock on this game, but they didn't address the quick-spawning hell that derived from MW2. It's just sabotage bad.

The 2 new TDM modes either turn into a spawn fuck or a camp fest. The novelty didn't last long, and they for the most part amplify the issues with COD's TDM then confront them.

But when the maps are this poor, no gametype is safe.

What advantage does the ACR or other weapons have over the Scar-IL?

I have my SCAR maxed out but I'm starting to feel like the damage and rate of fire is leaving me at a disadvantage. I mostly play FFA.

What should I look into?

Radec

BannedEpisode said:
What advantage does the ACR or other weapons have over the Scar-IL?

I have my SCAR maxed out but I'm starting to feel like the damage and rate of fire is leaving me at a disadvantage. I mostly play FFA.

What should I look into?

Well I think ACR is almost the same as the SCAR's damage. Only the rate of fire is different.

I got tired of using the ACR after awhile though.

Type-95 on the other hand is the only weapon I purchased in the prestige shop. Such a beast.

Is there something I have to unlock on the 95 to make it amazing? Like full auto or something? I really havent looked into it.

I tried it for a bit and it wasnt clicking for me. Maybe I should just keep trying.

aristotle

Noriega said:
And do I ask Xtortionist

And where do I see the invite?

These are better questions for the Community thread. They will actually get seen by those that need to see them. Plus pretty much everyone in that thread is a clan member and it'll be easier to fix any problems if there are any. Elite is a hassle right now. Knowing to resend invites or asking where to find them is easier for everyone involved I think.

This thread has become mostly about complaining about snipers and map design, although there are quite a few people who disagree and aren't having any problems like the ones mentioned in here.

For future reference:

GAF MW3 Community/Clan thread

Radec

BannedEpisode said:
Is there something I have to unlock on the 95 to make it amazing? Like full auto or something? I really havent looked into it.

I tried it for a bit and it wasnt clicking for me. Maybe I should just keep trying.
red dot + silencer was my build.

if ur familiar with mw2's m16 or famas, then type 95 will be easy to get into.

aku:jiki said:
How do you gain clan XP and how is the gold clan tag different from party colors (which is a goldish yellow)?
As far as I know, everyone gets "Founder" status that pays for Elite right now because of all the issues. That equates to 500XP for each member that joins but it's a one time thing so I can't join another clan down the road and give that XP again.

I think party colors you just see yourself? The clan tag just would show as yellow to everyone in the lobby whereas others would simply have white tags. In my party yesterday I had a couple members who weren't in the clan yet so they had yellow text for their names but I *think* their tags still appeared to me(and others) as white.

Alienshogun said:
IMO the type 95 is broken, it's the best burst iteration in the franchise yet.

The m16 and famas in MW2 were the better rifles at longer ranges than the type 95, but close range the type 95 is absolutely the best burst rifle in the series.

Doomskull said:
I disagree, even if the spawns were perfect the maps would still suck.

They just don't feel like COD maps. They feel like mazes. I mean, just take a look at this shit:

http://www.themodernwarfare3.com/mw3/multiplayer-maps/village/

The map isn't one of the maze-like maps at all, it's one of the more BLOPS boring-as-shit predictable maps in the game. Tied with probably Outpost.
3 chokes points with no way to flank to the other side of the map. Spawn on your side, run up to a choke point & kill/die. Re-spawn on your side again & run up to the same choke point. Rinse & repeat.

The ones who corner camp the most win.
No dynamics, no different ways to play, no surprises. Just AWFUL pedestrian map design.

Does anybody have any tips for getting through that last level (30->31) on a gun? It's taking forever and I'm not sure if it's based on kills or challenges.

PalaceBrother said:
Does anybody have any tips for getting through that last level (30->31) on a gun? It's taking forever and I'm not sure if it's based on kills or challenges.

Just keep on truckin.

Scar took me what felt like a long while as well.

Nori Chan

M16 wasn't cutting it for me. I love it here and in real life. But I feel like the only wy to win a gun fight is to hold down the trigger.

I only like my burst weapons when I'm camping and they don't know I'm there an I can get on burst off before they know I'm there and then I can finish them off.

Strider2K99 said:
The background is from Elite, the "Believe" part is since I'm part of the NeoGAF clan on Elite. Join it and you get it too!
Oh what the hell seriously? That's sick, I wanna join but Elite is constantly down for me.

Jrmint

Radec said:
Well I think ACR is almost the same as the SCAR's damage. Only the rate of fire is different.

I got tired of using the ACR after awhile though.

Type-95 on the other hand is the only weapon I purchased in the prestige shop. Such a beast.
I absolutely hate the ACR in this game in the times I've tried to use it. The damage seems absurdly low and the fire rate is also very slow. I suppose that is to make up for the lack of any recoil. It just feels like a much weaker G36, the only trade off is minor recoil after a while which is easily managed. Honestly anyone in close or medium range with this iteration of the ACR is gonna lose 9 times out of 10 to an equally skilled player.

Jrmint said:
I absolutely hate the ACR in this game in the times I've tried to use it. The damage seems absurdly low and the fire rate is also very slow. I suppose that is to make up for the lack of any recoil. It just feels like a much weaker G36, the only trade off is minor recoil after a while which is easily managed. Honestly anyone in close or medium range with this iteration of the ACR is gonna lose 9 times out of 10 to an equally skilled player.

I was with you until I put RDS on it.
The irons are horrible for it.

Jrmint

See You Next Wednesday said:
I was with you until I put RDS on it.
The irons are horrible for it.
Regardless that won't help either of the issues I mentioned. I just feel like there's much better assault rifle choices.

Guenther

I know. But not all of them are using this perk. And today an enemy stood at least for a second right next to my bouncing betty and the fucking thing didn´t explode.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Guenther said:
I know. But not all of them are using this perk. And today an enemy stood at least for a second right next to my bouncing betty and the fucking thing didn´t explode.

Perhaps there was a jammer in the area?

Not sure if this has been answered, but as a Hardened owner, how do I activate my Premium Elite content? Or rather, when it actually works, how will I set my account up so that it realizes I am a premium subscriber because the Founder Code doesn't do that does it?

Oh man, I think I'm gonna have a heart attack one of these days from all this raging when I play with randoms. I just don't understand why is it always my team that loses these 7400-7500 matches. Just had two of those in a row. Unfuckingbelievable.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
23 kills, 4 Deaths, 12 assists kill confirmed game.

Broke it up into two videos since elite is shitty, and it's cut up for the kills.

The guy I killed with his own bouncing betty (set it off with my emp grenade) raged so hard.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpn7z_VoWCo

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPClNULfn3U

Radec said:
claymores are useless here in mw3.

No, you can go prone and completely avoid the damage from a bouncing betty. A claymore you cannot avoid.

Top Bottom