• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

eek5

Will someone please make Black Box disappear for ever? Every time I play that stage I hate it more. It just feels wrong at every turn.

I feel the same way. First night was great. Second night was good. Then as I kept playing it got worse and worse. It's easily my least favorite level now and that's saying a lot because I fucking HATE downturn lol

These are some of the maps that have been rumoured..

Terminal - I wouldn't be opposed to this.
Favela - nope
Highrise - nope (too similar to one of the new maps)
Crash - love it.
Overgrown - Not opposed to this.
Crossfire - Awesome. Missed this map.
Strike - Fun map.
Shipment - Never. I think I've been killed more by grenades that bullets on that map.

I wish they would keep the map layouts but overhaul the whole look and setting.

my take

Just got the game for PS3.

Believe it or not, it's my first ever Call of Duty game besides playing the original downloaded on PSN for a brief period.

Looking forward to playing with a few gaffers. Add me on PSN if you'd like.

PSN - neoJABES

RedSwirl

Hold the fuck up guys. I'm starting to get confused in regards to how the numbering and years of the COD games add-up.

The COD game that will release this year will be the ninth main entry. This October it will have also been nine years since the release of the original Call of Duty. That would mean that there would have been nine games in nine years right? But they didn't release a COD game in 2004. COD1 came out in 03 and COD2 came out in 05. How have there still been nine main games in nine years?! Is my math fucked up?

hamchan

Hold the fuck up guys. I'm starting to get confused in regards to how the numbering and years of the COD games add-up.

The COD game that will release this year will be the ninth main entry. This October it will have also been nine years since the release of the original Call of Duty. That would mean that there would have been nine games in nine years right? But they didn't release a COD game in 2004. COD1 came out in 03 and COD2 came out in 05. How have there still been nine main games in nine years?! Is my math fucked up?
Because 03 is the start point, it's 0 years old when it first came out.

Effect

So I ended up getting MW3 (PS3) as a gift for my birthday this weekend. There was really nothing I wanted game wise and that was on sale in Target fro $40 so I figured why not. I had already picked up Kid Icarus and Xenoblade. If I knew a game of my choice would be offered as a gift I'd have wait on at least one of them but oh well. Finished the single player. Still crazy and I you do need to check your brain at the door but still fun for what it was. I think I enjoyed MW2's single player more. The fight through DC just connected more I guess.

Been playing online and getting my butt handed to me. I expected as much when thrown in with a bunch of 60s to 80s. Match making in this game is horrible. Wouldn't be so bad but I can't help but feel I'm being shoot at before someone even appears in front of me though unless I'm behind them. Which makes even attempts to win encounters frustrating. I don't claim to be great. Playing PC version of Black Ops I was able to at least come out with a positive K/D and if I didn't it was always close. This 6 kills or low teen deaths is annoying when I feel it isn't do to my lack of ability. That though is more tolerable then the amount of damn campers I'm finding. Nothing more frustrating then making your way around the map cautiously (still remember things from when I had the Wii version for a little while) to just die and to see some idiot pushing himself against the wall in the corner and then not moving even after killing you. The maps in this game still suck. While my opinion on the game has improved from playing the Wii version (did enjoy the Wii version of BO, just not this game) to this version that has stayed the same. Horrible map design for many of the maps.

Can't wait until I can unlock barebones. Want to try out team tactical as well. Maybe less players will result in not running into campers as much.

NJ Shlice

So I ended up getting MW3 (PS3) as a gift for my birthday this weekend. There was really nothing I wanted game wise and that was on sale in Target fro $40 so I figured why not. I had already picked up Kid Icarus and Xenoblade. If I knew a game of my choice would be offered as a gift I'd have wait on at least one of them but oh well. Finished the single player. Still crazy and I you do need to check your brain at the door but still fun for what it was. I think I enjoyed MW2's single player more. The fight through DC just connected more I guess.

Been playing online and getting my but handed to me. I expected as much when thrown in with a bunch of 60s to 80s. Match making in this game is horrible. Wouldn't be so bad but I can't help but feel I'm being shoot at before someone even appears in front of me though unless I'm behind them. Which makes even attempts to win encounter frustrating. I don't claim to be great. Playing PC version of Black Ops I was able to at least come out with a positive K/D and if I didn't it was always close. This 6 kills or low teen deaths is annoying when I feel it isn't do to my lack of ability. That though is more tolerable then the amount of damn campers I'm finding. Nothing more frustrating then making your way around the map cautiously (still remember things from when I had the Wii version for a little while) to just die and to see some idiot pushing himself against the wall in the corner and then not moving even after killing you. The maps in this game still suck. While my opinion on the game has improved from playing the Wii version (did enjoy the Wii version of BO, just not this game) to this version that has stayed the same. Horrible map design for many of the maps.

Can't wait until I can unlock barebones. Want to try out team tactical as well. Maybe less players will result in not running into campers as much.

Sounds like you just need to play more. Did you really expect to go into matchmaking and "cautiously" walk around the map and not get your head blown off?

Go into a private match alone, and walk around the maps and pick a few spots to stick to and go into MM and fight from those spots. You can't "learn" the maps online and have fun at the same time. Doesn't work. It always ends up and super frustration, and you have to expect that because you don't know where you are, where people are coming from, where people are camping, etc. If you were expecting the camper in the corner, you would have been able to kill him.

The maps def. aren't as good in this game as in previous, thats inarguable. But if you learn the maps and know the fighting patterns, spawns, camp spots, etc. then its fine.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The best way to learn the maps is to party up with some friends who you communicate with well and start naming the areas of the maps as you coordinate with each other. It forces familiarity and teaches you the typical paths that people take as you will be calling those out the most.

Effect

By cautiously (maybe that isn't the right word) I mean paying attention to my surrounding. Checking behind me to make sure I'm not being followed as I move. Not running around corners blindly, etc. Not firing off my weapon to give away my position unless I'm sure I can hit a target. Not moving like a turtle. I normally move around the map when playing CoD. Though perhaps I should give moving around one particular area for a while a try and see how that goes.

I'll admit I'm not great with a controller. Pointer controls or a mouse aren't a problem at all. Though I have gotten a LOT better compared to a year ago to the point I'm comfortable with them and hitting a target quickly isn't a problem anymore.

MickeyPhree

I was great at mw2 but skipped black ops. By the time I got mw3 it had almost two years since I had played. Needless to say it took me a few weeks to get the hang of it again.

Piece of advice: always use the blind eye perk. Makes the game much more enjoyable IMO.

Nizz

How is this game on PS3? Any major problems? I'm think about picking it up.

It runs great on PS3. Nothing like Black Ops.
I'll second this and say that technically on PS3 the game runs great. You always feel the fluid-ness of the 60fps. Black Ops never felt like that same fluid 60. It felt more like a 45 fps average (to me).
I was great at mw2 but skipped black ops. By the time I got mw3 it had almost two years since I had played. Needless to say it took me a few weeks to get the hang of it again.

Piece of advice: always use the blind eye perk. Makes the game much more enjoyable IMO.
I would say that Sitrep Pro is great too. Having enemies' footsteps sound louder helps out when you play with headphones on. I only have Blind Eye on one class, my anti-air. Maybe I'll try it out with other classes.

This game can give me headaches sometimes though. Just all around little things that add up. One thing is when watching a killcam and seeing you were at least a second or two behind from the guy who took you out. Was playing Merc TDM the other night, I was at the back end of the map where in Domination the C flag would be.

I'm walking around cautiously up the stairs where there's that little catwalk/bridge type thing. I slowly peek into the room, saw no one there and then turned around. All of a sudden I get shot in the back. "What the fuck?!" I thought to myself. I watched the killcam and shit you not, on his end he rounds the doorway and I'm standing there practically looking like I looked dead at him and then turn around. RAGE...

Other times it seems like claymores work for everyone else but me. I once laid a claymore down, heard the click and get a hitmarker, go into the room and still proceed to get killed. Again, watching the killcam he walks over the claymore, gets hit and his screen is red from being hurt, doesn't have Stalker Pro equipped nor Blast Shield Pro or anything like that and still manages to kill me. Tha fuck?

When does the content pack with the 2 new specops come out for regular ps3 owners? Sorry if it's been answered already I searched and can't find an answer. Thanks

I'll second this and say that technically on PS3 the game runs great. You always feel the fluid-ness of the 60fps. Black Ops never felt like that same fluid 60. It felt more like a 45 fps average (to me).

I would say that Sitrep Pro is great too. Having enemies' footsteps sound louder helps out when you play with headphones on. I only have Blind Eye on one class, my anti-air. Maybe I'll try it out with other classes.

This game can give me headaches sometimes though. Just all around little things that add up. One thing is when watching a killcam and seeing you were at least a second or two behind from the guy who took you out. Was playing Merc TDM the other night, I was at the back end of the map where in Domination the C flag would be.

I'm walking around cautiously up the stairs where there's that little catwalk/bridge type thing. I slowly peek into the room, saw no one there and then turned around. All of a sudden I get shot in the back. "What the fuck?!" I thought to myself. I watched the killcam and shit you not, on his end he rounds the doorway and I'm standing there practically looking like I looked dead at him and then turn around. RAGE...

Other times it seems like claymores work for everyone else but me. I once laid a claymore down, heard the click and get a hitmarker, go into the room and still proceed to get killed. Again, watching the killcam he walks over the claymore, gets hit and his screen is red from being hurt, doesn't have Stalker Pro equipped nor Blast Shield Pro or anything like that and still manages to kill me. Tha fuck?

This game has issues with keeping everyone in the lobby in sync with the host. that's why you see some people seem to be ahead of you at times in the kill cam. they are patching the matchmaking in the next few weeks according to a dev. in the forums. Hopefully this fixs the sync issues or im pretty much done with MW3

this video is a really good example of the sync issues people blame on "lag compensation" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reNPK8XD-k4

Nizz

This game has issues with keeping everyone in the lobby in sync with the host. that's why you see some people seem to be ahead of you at times in the kill cam. they are patching the matchmaking in the next few weeks according to a dev. in the forums. Hopefully this fixs the sync issues or im pretty much done with MW3

this video is a really good example of the sync issues people blame on "lag compensation" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reNPK8XD-k4
Thanks for posting this. At the 7:30 mark that is exactly what I (and many others) go through. I hope they sort this out somehow.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Damn, Nabs finally talked me into switching from Support to Assault and my goodness, I forgot how incredible a good killstreak build feels.

Also, the PP90 is god-like (also recommended).

Also, here are the achievements for the next Spec-Ops mission set:

Steam Forums said:
One-Four-One
Complete the "Kill Switch" Special Ops mission on any difficulty.

EMPressive…
Complete the "Kill Switch" Special Ops mission on Veteran difficulty.

Helipocalypse
Destroy 6 helicopters in the "Kill Switch" Special Ops mission.

Don't Tread on Me
Complete the "Iron Clad" Special Ops mission on any difficulty.

High Roller
Complete the "Iron Clad" Special Ops mission on Veteran difficulty.

Not a Scratch
Finish with your tank at full health in the "Iron Clad" Special Ops mission.

I never use it. Air support never seems to stay up for very long and half the levels in this game make it worthless anyway. I'll stick with Scavenger.

Same. I only use it if my team just keeps getting pounded by air support and refuses to do anything about it - then I switch to my anti-air class and take down as much as I can.

I feel naked without Assassin though.

kuYuri

For PC players, date for Collection 1 DLC coming before end of week (yeah, announcement of announcement).

Also, double XP all platforms starting this Friday.

Just got the map pack for PS3 and played 1 match on each and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan does Black Box drop frames on PS3 like crazy.

It becomes unplayable in that one under construction circular room that's all wooden pieces. It's worse than anything in Black Ops.

Liberation felt like it was dropping frames too, but not as bad as Black Box. The other two seemed fine in my limited play time.

I'm currently having problems trying to play the Map Pack 1. It keeps saying the "Required map Piazza is missing or damaged." Anyone know the solution to this?

Just got the map pack for PS3 and played 1 match on each and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan does Black Box drop frames on PS3 like crazy.

It becomes unplayable in that one under construction circular room that's all wooden pieces. It's worse than anything in Black Ops.

Liberation felt like it was dropping frames too, but not as bad as Black Box. The other two seemed fine in my limited play time.

Just put Black Box out of your mind and never play it again. It's a bad map.

Nizz

Yuck. I don't get it, the maps that came with the game run solid. I don't understand how the map pack runs worse than the original on-disc maps. Are they graphically heavier/doing more?

test_account

XP-39C²
I played the Black Box map earlier today on PS3 and i didnt notice a single slowdown. I even played Ground War, so it was around 18 players. I'm not sure that i got to that wooden room though, but i did visit most of the map.

The map itself however, too many snipers (at least when i played it).

kuYuri

Anybody want to team up for some double xp action today? 360 of course :}

Late, but I'm hopping on Live now.

Are any of the DLC MP maps any good?

I like the first 4, Liberation is not my type of map because of its size, but I got used to it, especially with LMGs. Spawns are still messed up though last I checked.

No real opinions on Foundation and Sanctuary yet.

Yuck. I don't get it, the maps that came with the game run solid. I don't understand how the map pack runs worse than the original on-disc maps. Are they graphically heavier/doing more?

They're much, much bigger. Now that I've put a little more time into the map pack, there's a lot of frame drops in Black Box and sections of Liberation (not as bad as Black Box though). Overwatch seemed to drop a few frames here and there but I don't think people will notice unless they're looking for it. Piazza seems pretty solid though.

I played the Black Box map earlier today on PS3 and i didnt notice a single slowdown. I even played Ground War, so it was around 18 players. I'm not sure that i got to that wooden room though, but i did visit most of the map.

The map itself however, too many snipers (at least when i played it).

I dunno man, I even went into a private match with just myself on Black Box to see if maybe the framerate issue was due to lag or whatever, and it was still dropping frames left and right just from looking around.

The only time I've notice frame rate drops on the old maps is during really crazy parts of a Drop Zone match.

Are any of the DLC MP maps any good?

I'm in the minority when I say I actually really like most of the original MW3 maps, but so far feel the DLC maps are a step down. Piazza is fun (my fave of the group), but you're going to be killed from every angle without warning, so people are probably going to get pretty annoyed with it. Overwatch was pretty confusing to me at first, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. It's decent - but if you're one of those people that thinks there's too much junk scattered around the old maps for people to hide behind you haven't seen anything until you've played Overwatch. Liberation is a nightmare. I can't think of anything good to say about it. It feels kind of like Downturn without a big, main building. There doesn't seem to be any flow to it. Black Box is an interesting beast. I don't think snipers needed any more of an advantage in this game, but here comes Black Box... basically a tailor made easy mode for them. It's not as bad now that I'm getting used to where they hide so I can go sniper hunting, but expect to be shot from every angle you can imagine if you don't play it safe.

Overall: Worth getting if you play a lot just for the added variety, but if you're a causal player... probably not.

Anybody else feel the new DLC multiplayer maps on ps3 are not that good? They're ok and pretty fun to play in but i think treyarch designs better maps. Maby i need to give them more time.

eek5

I like them. Well, some of them.

Piazza and Overwatch are probably my two favorite maps so far. Overwatch has a shitty B-dom but it plays well in TDM. Piazza is ok in dom and pretty good in TDM.

Liberation is a good map but the spawns are totally fucked up and they apparently have no intention of fixing it. As long as you're aware of the bad spawns, it is easy to do well on that map but it plays a lot smaller than it is because of the broken spawn system (at least in TDM).

I don't like black box at all. It was fun the first day or so but now it is just a camp fest.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I like them. Well, some of them.

Piazza and Overwatch are probably my two favorite maps so far. Overwatch has a shitty B-dom but it plays well in TDM. Piazza is ok in dom and pretty good in TDM.

Liberation is a good map but the spawns are totally fucked up and they apparently have no intention of fixing it. As long as you're aware of the bad spawns, it is easy to do well on that map but it plays a lot smaller than it is because of the broken spawn system (at least in TDM).

I don't like black box at all. It was fun the first day or so but now it is just a camp fest.

I think I'm gonna pick it up then. I play a mix of TDM/Kill-Confirmed (which should fix the camping issue) so 3 out of 4 isn't bad. FWIW I enjoy pretty much all of the stock maps barring Village so I might end up enjoying Liberation too.

I'm definitely most excited for Piazza out of the first collection and Sanctuary has me desperate for collection 2 on PC.

Bollocks

Why do youtubers still play with color blind support? I thought they have fixed the stealth bomber glitch, they aren't actually color blind?

Top Bottom