• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Pandemic

Does anyone else struggle to get a good assault kill streak, compared to say.. Modern Warfare 1?

I'm good with being able to get 18 support kill-streak, but I struggle to get 5 with the assault kill streak.. :p

Im having trouble connecting to the servers...PS3. Anyone else?

I just played for about an hour, no issues.

I'm really starting to enjoy Overwatch. Got my highest kill count in MW3 on it last night (70 kills/20 deaths). Now if I could just figure out how to be effective with the AC-130 on it.... damn double floors always getting in thw way!

test_account

XP-39C²
I dunno man, I even went into a private match with just myself on Black Box to see if maybe the framerate issue was due to lag or whatever, and it was still dropping frames left and right just from looking around.

The only time I've notice frame rate drops on the old maps is during really crazy parts of a Drop Zone match.
I played the map for the 2nd time today (also Ground War, 18 players) and i see a bit better now what you mean with the framerate. From what i noticed, it is mostly noticeably when you spin/swing around fast. I found the map to be playable, but i seems that the map does indeed have some framerate issues now and then.

I played the map for the 2nd time today (also Ground War, 18 players) and i see a bit better now what you mean with the framerate. From what i noticed, it is mostly noticeably when you spin/swing around fast. I found the map to be playable, but i seems that the map does indeed have some framerate issues now and then.

Yeah, it's mostly when you spin around fast. The problem with that though is if you spin around fast while aiming at a guy, it goes a little nuts.

TideTime

Where are the new maps guys? I bought the first DLC pack for 360 and have been playing FFA but none have come up. Are they in a special playlist or something?

TideTime

Not that I see... Is it supposed to be under the standard playlists? If I go in custom mode I can see the four new maps downloaded so I know I have them.

kuYuri

The playlist under community is only for Elite premium members cause it includes Elite drops 7 and 8, if you want to play the Collection 1 maps, you have to stick with normal playlists I believe.

I haven't gone into FFA much lately, but maybe you just have bad luck with new maps showing up.

Does anyone recommend good custom loadouts? I need tips on getting a good assault kill streak! :p

It really depends on your play style and what Pro versions of the perks you have.

If you're having trouble staying alive for even a low level Assault pointstreak, for the blue perks Slight of Hand would probably be the way to go for the faster reload. Just remember, you don't need to reload after every kill. Try to keep reloading only when you know you're safe.

For red perks, Quickdraw if you find you're not comfortable firing from the hip and have to iron sight frequently, Hardline it reduce the # of points required for a pointstreak or Assassin so you never have to worry about UAVs.

For yellow perks, this one really depends on your play style, but Dead Silence, Steady Aim or SitRep are all good choices.

For guns, everyone swears by the MP7 because of its low recoil, but I prefer the ACR myself.

The trick to building up to higher pointstreaks is using lower ones to get you the higher ones on your chain. Example: Get a Predator Missile (5 points) and if you get a double kill with it, that would earn you your Attack Helicopter (7 points) if you have those selected. And remember in objective modes, completing objectives (such as taking a flag in Domination) gives you a point towards your pointstreak so you don't need to focus on just kills. Taking down the an enemy pointstreak reward also adds to your pointstreak, so everytime you see a UAV in the air, take it out for an easy point.

Stick to the lower end pointstreaks until you can keep a decent killstreak going. A good starting chain would be UAV (to help you earn a Predator), Predator, then Attack Helicopter.

Effect

Anyone put a lot of time into the new Survival mode maps? How are they? Worth the purchase alone?

Been playing that more and finding that has turned out to be more enjoyable then regular online matches (unless they are of the hardcore or barebones style. Infection and Drop Zone are fun once in a while). I've gotten used to the maps but the are still horrible. Looking forward to BO2 because of this. Treyarch's approach to maps are more fair and balanced.

Question about the survival maps. Does the game balance them differently if you are playing solo and online? Or are they the same no matter what and just balanced based on the Easy, Regular, etc groups they are in?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Anyone know why the main menu shows much higher multiplayer playtime than the barracks does?

My only guess is that it includes time spent in menus, but 6 days in my case seems extreme.

Question about the survival maps. Does the game balance them differently if you are playing solo and online? Or are they the same no matter what and just balanced based on the Easy, Regular, etc groups they are in?
The same in solo and multi, as far as I've seen. If there are differences they must be pretty small.

NJ Shlice

Does anyone recommend good custom loadouts? I need tips on getting a good assault kill streak! :p

Here are my classes for games where I want to go on high killstreaks:

// For matches where I will primarily be at a medium to longshot range and will need to sneak bullets into a tight window

MK14 - Kick - Red Dot
G18 - Akimbo
Sleight Of Hand - Hardline - Steady Aim
Bouncing Betty - Flash or Concussion
Predator - Strafe Run - AC130

//For matches where I will primary be in a medium range, but will occasionally need to kill someone who is up in my grill

Type95 - Attachments - Red Dot - Rapid Fire
G18 - Akimbo
Sleight Of Hand - Hardline - Steady Aim
Predator - Helicopter - Pave Low

//For sniping
MSR - Ext Mags
G18 - Akimbo
Sleight Of Hand - Quickdraw - Steady Aim
Predator - Strafe Run - AC130

It's good to have a few classes set up for different killstreak scenarios. If you are running Predator - Helicopter and they are shooting the thing down immediately then don't waste your time. Go Predator - Airstrike, or go right to Predator - Strafe Run. Pave Low is sick cause it starts shooting immediately

I still play color blind because I got used to calling enemies teal :lol

So you use glitches?

Upgraded my internet today. Hope it helps with the shitty latency a little bit.

Highly unlikely. Playing games online doesn't really require much bandwidth. So going from a 5mb connection, to a 15mb connection is unlikely to change a thing.

Two things. Are you playing on PS3? Do you make sure no one else is using your Internet while you're playing online? If someone is downloading things or streaming video it's likely to affect your online play.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
So you use glitches?

Highly unlikely. Playing games online doesn't really require much bandwidth. So going from a 5mb connection, to a 15mb connection is unlikely to change a thing.

Two things. Are you playing on PS3? Do you make sure no one else is using your Internet while you're playing online? If someone is downloading things or streaming video it's likely to affect your online play.

Well my upload been more of a problem than my download I think and it went from 1mb to 3mb. Download went from 4 to 8.

And no I don't have anything else running when I play. I turn all computers off.

Well my upload been more of a problem than my download I think and it went from 1mb to 3mb. Download went from 4 to 8.

And no I don't have anything else running when I play. I turn all computers off.

Its not you matchmaking is broken and the game is generally out of sync with the host. supposedly we are getting a patch soon that will fix the matchmaking and in-turn hopefully help with latency issues.

Here is a really long video about the new matchmaking patch.supposedly this was coming out by the end of the month so maybe its in certification now.

the short of it was IW changed the matchmaking so it looks for an average ping between all party members instead of the way the old cods based matchmaking on the party leader. this seems to cause a wide range of pings in the lobby so you end up with out of sync gameplay. Im skeptical but hopefully this will make things a little better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=40qrB_N8j8A

Its not you matchmaking is broken and the game is generally out of sync with the host. supposedly we are getting a patch soon that will fix the matchmaking and in-turn hopefully help with latency issues.

Here is a really long video about the new matchmaking patch.supposedly this was coming out by the end of the month so maybe its in certification now.

Ahh.. The good old times. I remember them, broken promise after broken promise.

IF all these shit excuses are true and they do *fix the game, then colour me surprised/amazed/gobsmacked or whatever.

MW3 and Blops would be 10 times the game they are without these latency issues. I just don't believe a word any of the devs say on the subject and haven't for years. How do they need someone to actually show them what is wrong with the game? Seriously.

Anyways. I need to play the new maps a bit more.

Kujo

Did they fix that inflated score/kills per match leaderboard statistic after prestiging? Hadn't checked it in a while, mine seems a lot lower than it was previously, is everyone else's fixed?

Ahh.. The good old times. I remember them, broken promise after broken promise.

IF all these shit excuses are true and they do *fix the game, then colour me surprised/amazed/gobsmacked or whatever.

MW3 and Blops would be 10 times the game they are without these latency issues. I just don't believe a word any of the devs say on the subject and haven't for years. How do they need someone to actually show them what is wrong with the game? Seriously.

Anyways. I need to play the new maps a bit more.

Yeah I agree something has been off since BLOPS. I know one thing they did was tune interpolation so it smooths out gameplay for laggy players. So you dont see people rubber banding back and forth as much. In theory that's great but i think it causes alot more WTF moments because you cant tell the person is lagging.

Its funny how i can still go back to COD4 and MW2 and its buttery smooth other than the hackers. But since blops the game has been broken and out of sync.

Ryan_

Just started playing last week and, being skeptical after MW2 and Black Ops (i'm a PC gamer), I'm pretty much enjoying myself.

Although, some maps look and feel like they were created by toddlers.

Yeah I agree something has been off since BLOPS. I know one thing they did was tune interpolation so it smooths out gameplay for laggy players. So you dont see people rubber banding back and forth as much. In theory that's great but i think it causes alot more WTF moments because you cant tell the person is lagging.

Its funny how i can still go back to COD4 and MW2 and its buttery smooth other than the hackers. But since blops the game has been broken and out of sync.

Agree totally.

I wanted MW3 on exactly the same engine as MW2 and that's what I thought we were getting. Hey ho.

Still, I'm looking forward to new maps. Just wish we could down port them to MW2 at this point.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I think I've seen more red jelly on my screen in the last 3 days than in the last 3 months before I upgraded. Its a very nice thing to actually know you are being shot before you die. My bullets also seem to go straight through my enemy a little less now too.

Proc

Been trying out the free trial on PC...was really tempted to buy it at $39. I have experienced a shit ton of exploiters (wallhacks, aimbots). Is this what it is normally like?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Been trying out the free trial on PC...was really tempted to buy it at $39. I have experienced a shit ton of exploiters (wallhacks, aimbots). Is this what it is normally like?

I play on an almost nightly basis for the last couple months and I have encountered maybe 3 in that time? They come out on free weekends.

Proc

I play on an almost nightly basis for the last couple months and I have encountered maybe 3 in that time? They come out on free weekends.

That's a relief to hear. Maybe I'll buy it and set it aside for next weekend. Other than the hackers, I'm liking the change of controls and visuals coming from the PS3.

Kujo

Is anyone's 3rd map (Overwatch?) labelled as 'Map Pack 03 Subscribers' or something like that? Every other map has the map name in the title, thought it was weird

PSYGN

PPM901 + Range + Silencer is deadly.
Fast, silent shots with high damage (3 hit kill in medium range) and very good hip-fire. Hell, you can pull off a decent game just by hip-firing with this gun.

Before this weapon I used:
P90 + Rapid Fire + Silencer
MP7 + Rapid Fire + Silencer
UMP45 + Steady Aim + Silencer

I don't know if it's my connection or not, or perhaps because I often use this gun in close quarters as it's meant to be, but silencer doesn't negatively affect my shots like it does to me in Black Ops. In fact it helps me sneak around into enemy territory and wipe the campers out from behind, and I always like being able to hear my hit marker sounds.

Anyway, for you rushers out there you should try this class out.

Having trouble connecting to this on PC. I swapped my router today for a new Netgear one (old 1 was on its last legs), and while every other game seems to work fine, this one gives me "Connecting to online services" message, then about about 1 minute, tells me its unable to connect to the server and to check the status at such n such website.

Ive tried forwarding ports, putting my PC as the DMZ, running Steam in Admin mode, uninstalling completely the game and reinstalling, verifying the cache, deleting clientregistry.blob, nothing seems to get me online :(

Can anyone help ?

MechDX

3 games in a row last night I was getting decimeted by rushers with the damn Striker shooting me from a ridiculous distance. I was host in two and when I tossed grenades I would hit the button to toss it would take almost 3 seconds for the grenade to actually leave.

Went and played Black Ops and I tink I am going back to it permanently. For its faults its still tons better than MW3.

Nabs

Jesus christ. We used to have parity with Sony, but we don't even warrant that anymore apparently.

In honor of this bullshit, my friends and I are doing a serious pubstomp.

i1XDwGKWbIls2.gif

Top Bottom