• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

kuYuri

This is the second free weekend I try out MW3 on PC and I gotta say, I'm really disappointed in the lack of good dedicated servers.

The most disappointing thing is that the vast majority of dedicated servers are either Infected or FFA servers. I'll be lucky to find more than three TDM servers, and lucky to even find one domination, HQ Pro, or Demolition servers. And when you do find one that isn't Infected or FFA, they usually have lame settings (low gravity, etc.). The idea that I can join a DS with good ping and use any possible combination of perks and weapons without having to unlock them is so awesome. Alas, vast majority of people stick to matchmaking.

I would have double dipped on this if more good dedicated servers were out there.

I love you....now connecting no problem :)

459aaa8ccc5710278e86542af4e9e5a52fb66e92.gif

Yuripaw

Banned
I just picked up the xbox version of this again. First time I've played it since it came out. I really am not very good at these games, I'm not a master of all the skills and bull shit people have learned from playing hundreds of hours of this kind of shit.

Is there a clan of more casual gaf players that I could join? I just wanna have fun sometimes, but it's hard to when every random online is a master of the game. Don't have Elite, not sure if im gonna get it.

Edit: My gamer tag is "I ockman I" in case anyone wants it

Alas i return :(

Changing to LLC-Based does the trick, but for some reason that conks out the majority of wireless devices i have connected to the router (they can connect, but dont receive internet).

Router fun !

gillFTR

So my cousin got MW3 recently after I never picked it up(he likes gaming at my house so just leaves all his games over here). I've bought all games previous to MW3 including multiple systems each year. I put this in went on multiplayer and I thought I was playing MW2, even Blops looked a little better to me. Also is it just me or do the maps all seem small with sharp turns and corridors. I haven't played cod in a while its fun just shooting stuff again. I mean the gun leveling system is a little weird so I hop in as a level one and people already have distinct advantages through the system on certain guns, it never felt that way in blackops.

I'm about 2 hours into single player campaign could care less for the American missions.

eek5

So my cousin got MW3 recently after I never picked it up(he likes gaming at my house so just leaves all his games over here). I've bought all games previous to MW3 including multiple systems each year. I put this in went on multiplayer and I thought I was playing MW2, even Blops looked a little better to me. Also is it just me or do the maps all seem small with sharp turns and corridors. I haven't played cod in a while its fun just shooting stuff again. I mean the gun leveling system is a little weird so I hop in as a level one and people already have distinct advantages through the system on certain guns, it never felt that way in blackops.

I'm about 2 hours into single player campaign could care less for the American missions.

Yes, it looks a lot like MW, mostly because of the HUD/UI.

Yes, the maps are the smallest the series has ever seen. There are a lot more corners, corridors, sharp corners.

Gun leveling is the same as it always has been (read: not like blops).

People having a "distinct advantage" over you because of unlock system is probably just you not knowing the maps/spawns. SCAR, M4, G36 are both good and low level unlocks for ARs. PP90 is one of the best SMGs in the game and is also a very low level unlock.

There is a premade class with BOTH G36 and PP90 to get you started.

gillFTR

Yes, it looks a lot like MW, mostly because of the HUD/UI.

Yes, the maps are the smallest the series has ever seen. There are a lot more corners, corridors, sharp corners.

Gun leveling is the same as it always has been (read: not like blops).

People having a "distinct advantage" over you because of unlock system is probably just you not knowing the maps/spawns. SCAR, M4, G36 are both good and low level unlocks for ARs. PP90 is one of the best SMGs in the game and is also a very low level unlock.

There is a premade class with BOTH G36 and PP90 to get you started.

Awesome thanks, the M4A1 has worked wonders for me. I'm usually really good at my FPS's, but its probably just as you said I am behind on spawn, maps and guns.

What about the DLC and ELITE what am I missing is it worth it for someone who is going to also get BLOP 2 day one? Will my subscription overlap so I get BLOPS2 DLC, If I get ELITE will I get DLC pack one or is it too late?

eek5

Awesome thanks, the M4A1 has worked wonders for me. I'm usually really good at my FPS's, but its probably just as you said I am behind on spawn, maps and guns.

What about the DLC and ELITE what am I missing is it worth it for someone who is going to also get BLOP 2 day one? Will my subscription overlap so I get BLOPS2 DLC, If I get ELITE will I get DLC pack one or is it too late?

Yeah it overlaps but you'll end up missing part of the BLOPs content schedule which will get you stuck in a perpetual ELITE subscription loop lol.

I put the game down for a bit so I haven't tried the latest maps but the first set had 2 really good maps (the best maps in MW2 imo), 1 decent map, and 1 mediocre map.

--
here is the recoil plot for the M4 btw:
iiFuP.png

When you put kick on it you can pretty much hang with anyone.

I'm personally a huge fan of the scar despite it needing 5 bullets at range. You can put micro pauses when burst firing to keep recoil really accurate even without kick.

gillFTR

Yeah it overlaps but you'll end up missing part of the BLOPs content schedule which will get you stuck in a perpetual ELITE subscription loop lol.

I put the game down for a bit so I haven't tried the latest maps but the first set had 2 really good maps (the best maps in MW2 imo), 1 decent map, and 1 mediocre map.

--
here is the recoil plot for the M4 btw:

When you put kick on it you can pretty much hang with anyone.

I'm personally a huge fan of the scar despite it needing 5 bullets at range. You can put micro pauses when burst firing to keep recoil really accurate even without kick.

Once again thanks, Yeah I love my rifles, but the smaller maps make no use of the rifles with low mobility and fire rate. I picked up someones type98 with rapid fire last night, and it seemed pretty damn good to me. Could it have just been luck that time. I used the scar religiously in MW2 on 360, but when I went to PC it was the ACR. I kind of like the ACR on 360.

I'm not too worried about missing the last half of the blackops content if I get ELITE. If I get blackops 2 day one I generally only play for the next 4 to 5 months before I get burned out or just move on.

eek5

Once again thanks, Yeah I love my rifles, but the smaller maps make no use of the rifles with low mobility and fire rate. I picked up someones type98 with rapid fire last night, and it seemed pretty damn good to me. Could it have just been luck that time. I used the scar religiously in MW2 on 360, but when I went to PC it was the ACR. I kind of like the ACR on 360.

I'm not too worried about missing the last half of the blackops content if I get ELITE. If I get blackops 2 day one I generally only play for the next 4 to 5 months before I get burned out or just move on.

Type-95 is one of the most OP weapons in the game. I find it really only dominates on maps where almost all engagements are in mid range when it is a oneburstkill (i.e. Mission). It kind of falls apart at long range where it can take 4-5 bursts to kill someone.

The ACR is one of the better ARs in MW3 but it's a higher level unlock I think.

The difference between MW3 and BLOPs is that most of the ARs perform differently from each other so you should be able to find one that fits your playstyle. IIRC a lot of the weapons in BLOPs were just copy paste of each other.

In regards to SMG/AR on these maps, I think MW3 actually lends itself well to assault rifles. You just have to play a bit slower.

--
Here is how I play most maps:
Resistance: USAS->Scar/Mk14
Bakaara: Scar/Mk14
Dome: USAS->T95
Downturn: T95
Bootleg: USAS/Mk14/PP90
Carbon: PP90/Mp7/T95
Hardhat: USAS/Mk14 (shotgun around the perimeter, Mk14 if you need to push the center)
Village: USAS/Mk14
Fallen: Scar/Mk14
Outpost: I have no idea how to play this map
Interchange: MP7/mk14
Underground: FAD/Scar/Mk14
Mission: T95

DLC:
Piazza: FAD/scar
Liberation: USAS/mk14
Overwatch: USAS

For the most part USAS can be replaced by any SMG and Mk14 can be replaced with any AR.

You should definitely check out t-martn's youtube videos on jumps & spots. Some of the line of sights he shows are really good and will help you out since you don't really know the maps.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Whilst playing Domination earlier I had a totally awesome idea. When triple capping in Domination, that team should earn double XP. This should encourage teams to actually aim to hold all three. Currently it is often easier to win by simply holding 2 of the 3 and spawn camping the 3rd, this may help with that.

Domination is pretty crappy XP anyhow (for how long a game goes), so it would help with that also.

RedSwirl

So Collection 1 finally hit PC. Worth if if your primary concern is survival mode? What are the difficulty settings of the new maps in survival?

kuYuri

So Collection 1 finally hit PC. Worth if if your primary concern is survival mode? What are the difficulty settings of the new maps in survival?

I have it on 360, for most of the DLC maps, they give you Model 1887, Five-SeveN, Extreme Conditioning, and Revive by default at the beginning. Also, choppers and Juggernauts are thrown a little earlier and in the same wave compared to the easy/normal maps.

Piazza and Liberation are the exception and they give you USP. 45 and Revive.

RedSwirl

I have it on 360, for most of the DLC maps, they give you Model 1887, Five-SeveN, Extreme Conditioning, and Revive by default at the beginning. Also, choppers and Juggernauts are thrown a little earlier and in the same wave compared to the easy/normal maps.

Piazza and Liberation are the exception and they give you USP. 45 and Revive.

How are they classified among the other maps in Survival though?

Good playing with you Rangersfan. Hopefully we'll be able to play more soon.

(im general ice lol)

It was good playing with you too :D It's always nice having a party to play demolition with rather than playing as a lone wolf. Hopefully we find ourselves online playing MW3 at the same time again sometime soon!

kuYuri

New details on this months 360 Elite Drops.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-08-new-modern-warfare-3-multiplayer-mode-announced

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3's second DLC collection, due out later this month, includes a new multiplayer mode called Face-Off, developer Infinity Ward has announced.

It's a one-on-one or two-on-two deathmatch mode featuring four brand new maps custom built for more intimate combat.

The first two stages will be available for free to all Xbox 360 players from 15th May, with a PC and PlayStation 3 roll-out to follow. Aground is set on a shipwreck off the coast of Scotland, while Erosion sees you running around Roman ruins in Italy while Mount Vesuvius erupts in the background.

Two more maps will then follow on 22nd May (again, it's a timed Xbox 360 exclusive) as part of the main DLC Collection 2 release. Getaway plays out in a beachside mansion in Brazil, while Lookout is set in a forward observation post in Afghanistan.

"Normally in itself one-on-one isn't particularly creatively innovative, but what we've done is design the maps deliberately for this style of play," Modern Warfare 3 executive producer Mark Rubin told Eurogamer.

"In normal map development you have large maps that have long sight lines, then when you make smaller maps you shorten the sight line - the engagement distance becomes smaller when the map becomes smaller.

"But with these Face-Off maps, because it's not six-on-six, we've made the sight lines longer for the size of the map that it is. You actually end up engaging quicker and having a more exciting experience on the map.

"You still get a really new feel and experience out of the gameplay; not just the heavy, frantic experience you would get out of a normal multiplayer match. You get more tension build-up on these smaller maps."

DLC Collection 2 will also offer three new standard multiplayer maps. Two of them have already been released via Elite - Sanctuary and Foundation - but one is brand new. Titled Oasis, it's set on a beach resort in the United Arab Emirates.

"It's actually in or near one of the levels from single player - the one that takes place in UAE. You can see part of that level in the background in this level. It's all new geo but it's in the same area," explained Rubin.

Then in addition to all that, there are two new Spec Ops co-op missions too.

Ironclad is set immediately after the Hamburg mission from the single player campaign, with you and a comrade attempting to make it back to the landing beach after the initial assault.

"It has that asynchronous combat that we've been focusing on, where one player does one thing and another does something completely different," said Rubin.

"One player is on the ground and has to clear obstacles and engage in basic infantry combat. Then you have another guy driving a tank and you both have to support each other and get back to the beaches."

The second Spec Ops mission, titled Killswitch, plays out in an all-new area set in a Russian dockyard.

"One person is on the ground sneaking through and the other is in a sniper perch, sniping for the other player. You have to get through the level and detonate an EMP at the end."

Loving that they are making a MP map out of the
last level in the game

EDIT: IGN video: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/05/09/modern-warfare-3-face-off-mode-revealed

EDIT 2: Aground and Erosion are both going to be free to everyone, not just Elite members. It's been awhile since Activision gave away free maps.

kuYuri

It's nice to see that they trying to cater to different types of players with some maps, now I see why they are releasing 4 Face-Off maps this month since they are all small maps.

Personally, I'm not big on 1v1/2v2 but recognize some people are and we are getting 3 standard maps at least.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
New details on this months 360 Elite Drops.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-08-new-modern-warfare-3-multiplayer-mode-announced

Loving that they are making a MP map out of the
last level in the game

EDIT: IGN video: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/05/09/modern-warfare-3-face-off-mode-revealed

EDIT 2: Aground and Erosion are both going to be free to everyone, not just Elite members. It's been awhile since Activision gave away free maps.

EDIT: Nevermind I see we are getting 1 more MP map. I have zero interest in this new mode.

kuYuri

Here a rundown of everything, as summarized by OneofSwords:

May 15: Face Off maps Aground and Erosion will be released for free to all Xbox 360 players
May 15: Elite drops for May on Xbox 360, containing MP map Oasis, Special Ops missions, Iron Clad and Kill Switch, Face Off maps Getaway and Lookout
May 22: Collection 2 makes all of the above available to all Xbox 360 owners as a DLC bundle

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Here a rundown of everything, as summarized by OneofSwords:

Cool thanx, I needed that. My head was about to explode trying to makes sense of all that and then translate it to the PS3.

So is there going to be no individual release of Oasis or has it just not been announced yet?

kuYuri

Cool thanx, I needed that. My head was about to explode trying to makes sense of all that and then translate it to the PS3.

So is there going to be no individual release of Oasis or has it just not been announced yet?

It comes out next week for Elite members, along with the two Face Off maps and SO missions.

So for PS3 Elite Members, I'm guessing these same drops come out June 14th or 21st, while Collection 2 comes out for every PS3 owner June 21st or 28th. These dates coincide with the Thursday releases that we've seen with past content. Of course, these aren't confirmed dates, just my guesses.

kuYuri

Apparently, PC got Prestige 16-20 in the last patch that came with Collection 1 DLC. I guess console can expect it within next few weeks.

Also, first few screenshots/renders of the new content has emerged, hopefully there will be more, most of these are just art:

Aground
fskct.jpg

Erosion
eymgX.jpg

Getaway
mqm0P.jpg

Lookout
ua17S.jpg

Oasis
vimCx.jpg

Iron Clad
I2m3V.jpg