• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

I was thinking about TDM or Headquarters but I don't really have faith they could place the objectives right or do the spawns good etc.

Yeah i'm sure TDM/FFA could work on most of them, just with a lot of bullshit spawns, but it'd still be fun. I mean they already have it halfway there with 3 v. 3 no problem.

It gets harder when you have to stand on a flag for 5 seconds or whatever the time is in domination alone and the other team can run across the whole map in that time to kill you in 6 v. 6 or nade u from anywhere pretty much.

And demolition would have bases where a team spawns, so you pretty much just spawn on one side of the map in the same spot over and over again on a faceoff map. I remember Getaway had like 1 spawn for offense.

They should add it for at least one weekend and see how it goes and how the community reacts and go from there, but they don't have playlist space lol. That's why we never got Terminal 24/7, because there is nowhere they can add that playlist.

But there will always be guns that are better than others in a category unless you make the same exact gun with just different appearance. So if u buff the UMP then u buff MP5 then u buff P90 then u buff PM-9 then u buff MP7 then u buff PP90 and then u restart if you're gonna use the theory that the others are better.

UMP was totally outclassed by the other SMGs. The three I mentioned all have a bigger magazine and faster fire rate. UMP needs something to compensate so hopefully it got it.

UMP was totally outclassed by the other SMGs. The three I mentioned all have a bigger magazine and faster fire rate. UMP needs something to compensate so hopefully it got it.

So the way you see it is you want all the smgs to get buffed to the same lvl? But i'm saying thats not possible.

After the ump buff right now, it'll either outclass the guns you named, or still be outclassed by them, which means the guns you named need to be nerfed to the new ump level, or the ump needs to be buffed again to catch up to them.

Buffing will always be in a never ending cycle if somebody wants all the guns on the same level because there will always be guns that outclass others. There will always be a best and worst gun in a category.

That awkward moment when it's just you left in search versus the entire enemy team and you win and then they quit en masse.

Feels good man.

Xux

So the way you see it is you want all the smgs to get buffed to the same lvl? But i'm saying thats not possible.

After the ump buff right now, it'll either outclass the guns you named, or still be outclassed by them, which means the guns you named need to be nerfed to the new ump level, or the ump needs to be buffed again to catch up to them.

Buffing will always be in a never ending cycle if somebody wants all the guns on the same level because there will always be guns that outclass others. There will always be a best and worst gun in a category.
That's why the best solution is to make them different but make them all good and not give a shit about which is the best.

That's why the best solution is to make them different but make them all good and not give a shit about which is the best.

Agreed. Having one with high recoil but high damage, but another with low recoil low damage or a high rate of fire/low damage/low recoil etc... you can make a plethora of combinations and as long as they are close to 50/50 in firefights with each other and are good at different distances, then it's good.

Right now, assault rifles are always the best because submachines guns just don't have any range; they are only good up close. Lmgs are well high recoil slow moving shitty iron sights and have lower rpm than some ARs. Snipers are a viable option for sure, but not for a person that plans to run and plants bombs/cap flags. And well the riot shield....ha get a moab with only shield bashes. le impossible. What if assault rifles were like the inverse of submachine guns? Gained damage over range and dropped off close up? It'd be interesting but most people would go smg. I just think having different styles of each category is the best. MW2 was pretty good at it tbh. ACR/M4 were a good options which killed slower but was more accurate. SCAR was less accurate but killed quicker. FAMAS/M16 were your typical burst fire guns. TAR was the high recoil high damage high rpm gun etc...

MW3 has the obvious guns in each category. ACR/MK14 depending on if u want automatic to spray/prefire are the best ARs. PP90M1 and MP7 are the best SMGs. L86 and MK46 are the best LMGs. Barret .50 Cal is the best Sniper and well Riot Shield is the best Shield. We'll see how the buff plays out. And sorry for the long post :S

Agreed. Having one with high recoil but high damage, but another with low recoil low damage or a high rate of fire/low damage/low recoil etc... you can make a plethora of combinations and as long as they are close to 50/50 in firefights with each other and are good at different distances, then it's good.

Right, UMP just needs higher damage to compensate for its lower fire rate. Maybe a tad less kick to compensate for the smaller magazines. Doesn't need to be the same bullet spraying machine as the others.

Right, UMP just needs higher damage to compensate for its lower fire rate. Maybe a tad less kick to compensate for the smaller magazines. Doesn't need to be the same bullet spraying machine as the others.

Yeah the fact that [prepatch] it kills in 6 bullets long range is insane. It's the only gun in the game that takes that many bullets to kill that far. I remember the vector took 5 bullets long range to kill in MW2 and i thought that was absolutely crazy and it stood no chance in firefights, especially silenced, but 6 bullets is kinda pushing it, so maybe by patching damage, like they are saying they are, they might just be making it so it doesn't take so many bullets to kill long range, because i doubt they'd make it possible for a 2 hit kill up close.

But Bowling's replacement is saying it has been since MONDAY and is even going as far as cussing out people proving it isn't out! She checked herself, guys! Bullshit.

I'm not sure if I'll get Collection 3 day 1.

I was never a big spec-ops/face-off fan.

In terms of that new game mode, though, I need to see a gameplay video of it.

This mode will be my deciding factor on whether this collection is worth it or not. Does sound like survival but with a time limit and much more enemies coming at you.

First thing that came to mind was Geometry Wars 2's "Deadline" mode, where you have 3 minutes to get as high of a score as possible (which I loved).

If it's anything like that, I could definitely see myself getting it.

Collection 4 will be bought. No question.

All you guys talking about how the hotfix didn't go live and then give shit to people at Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer. I posted stats of one particular guns update yesterday and heres a youtube video of a guy that tested it.

They wouldn't randomly just be like ohhhh we buffed these guns go play without actually buffing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeRIhNSB-I4&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: Spelled who instead of how. Fixed the spelling mistake ;)

Also, all you guys are talking about a new spec ops game mode, but i don't know where to look for information on it and nobody has posted about it. Help me please?

EDIT: Just found a random article on a random site but it just barely describes what the mode is and details how the next two collections are gonna work. Maybe that is all the information that is out there though.

http://mp1st.com/2012/08/02/modern-...assault-and-august-elite-content-drops-dated/

A whole new way to play Call of Duty®, Special Ops Chaos mode delivers the ultimate in arcade mayhem. Experience truly heart-pounding and adrenaline-fueled action while competing for high scores in Resistance, Village, Underground and Dome. Chain kills together against a never-ending onslaught of enemies to increase your combo multiplier and earn performance-enhancing perks. Choose your route through each map to optimize weapon pickups, attack, and escape options. Play solo, split screen or online with a friend to take out as many enemies as possible before they take you down or the clock hits zero.

Hmm interesting. Kinda seems like Max Payne 3 New York Minute mode, but without a linear level design. I have Call of Duty Elite so i have obviously already bought it, and as a fan of spec ops, i will definitely check it out!

Thanks for posting that quote!

First thing that came to mind was Geometry Wars 2's "Deadline" mode, where you have 3 minutes to get as high of a score as possible (which I loved).

First thing that came to my mind was the Max Payne 3 New York Minute mode, because i was under the impression that every kill you get adds more time, making it a run n gun spec ops mode, where picking up weapons/ammo pretty much makes it so you have to strategically plan your routes so you can safely get to them for ammo/perks, while also getting kills quick enough to ensure time doesn't run out. There'll be score multipliers for headshots and accuracy, like there is on every spec ops leaderboard, and your score also goes up for total kills etc...

Thats how i envisioned it at least, not as short 3 minute games. Who knows though until we receive more details.

eek5

All you guys talking about how the hotfix didn't go live and then give shit to people at Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer. I posted stats of one particular guns update yesterday and heres a youtube video of a guy that tested it.

They wouldn't randomly just be like ohhhh we buffed these guns go play without actually buffing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeRIhNSB-I4&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: Spelled who instead of how. Fixed the spelling mistake ;)

That guy says FAD used to kill in 6 shots at range lol

Here is another guy that tested MP5, FAD, and UMP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzdo8HhCXYE

That guy says FAD used to kill in 6 shots at range lol

Here is another guy that tested MP5, FAD, and UMP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzdo8HhCXYE

Yeah people commented about him being wrong about the FAD, so maybe he made a mistake lol, but everything else in there is correct. How can u disprove that? The guns were updated lol. I'll get to watching your video when i have time. (Probably 6 hours from now or so i'll watch it and get back to you)

eek5

Yeah people commented about him being wrong about the FAD, so maybe he made a mistake lol, but everything else in there is correct. How can u disprove that? The guns were updated lol. I'll get to watching your video when i have time. (Probably 6 hours from now or so i'll watch it and get back to you)

Basically the guy measures MP5 RoF @ 60fps and it's slower than before. FAD and UMP killing at same ranges as before and with same switch over distance from before. That's how you can disprove it? If they really got buffed it wasn't significant enough to make a difference in damage/range testing..

Basically the guy measures MP5 RoF @ 60fps and it's slower than before. FAD and UMP killing at same ranges as before and with same switch over distance from before. That's how you can disprove it? If they really got buffed it wasn't significant enough to make a difference in damage/range testing..

UMP has a damage increase with silencer now though. Using a UMP silenced is the same as using a UMP unsilenced. I don't understand what you're saying about MP5 RPM so i can't make a comment on that :/

Just trust the OFFICIAL sources who are saying what they're saying. Don't understand why there is such a backlash against them.

Actually, the M16 is significantly better. The other guns though...? I don't notice a difference.

I noticed your tweet to Teanah haha. Poor person. Just like bowling. Community Managers get so much shit for things they don't even do. Robert Bowling wasn't even a Community Manager and he got shit. How come people like Mark Rubin don't get shit? He's not a community manager, similar to bowling, and everybody loves him lol.

eek5

UMP has a damage increase with silencer now though. Using a UMP silenced is the same as using a UMP unsilenced. I don't understand what you're saying about MP5 RPM so i can't make a comment on that :/

Just trust the OFFICIAL sources who are saying what they're saying. Don't understand why there is such a backlash against them.

Errr.. I don't get what you're suggesting. If they say they buffed stuff we should just take their word for it? It'd be a lot easier to "trust" them if I saw even a fraction of the changes they insist they've made. What kind of backlash are you talking about?

I mean, sure, they could've buffed some of the damages by 1 point (but not in FAD's case since it does 24 dmg long range) or moved the damage ranges by under a meter but what's the fucking point of even mentioning it since it makes absolutely no difference?

edit: one thing w/ the UMP vs silencer is that if there is a difference with the UMP w/ silencer now, that'd be a RANGE buff not a damage buff like OFFICIAL sources have said so how can you trust them when they can't even report that to you correctly (assuming there IS in fact a change to the UMP w/ silencer)

Except they tested that as well and the silenced UMP works exactly the same as it did before.

The OFFICIAL sources once gloated about a patch that was supposed to decrease the RoF on akimbo machine pistols only for players to find out that they fucked up and actually INCREASED the RoF.

The OFFICIAL sources once claimed that the LMGs had better range than the ARs back before I convinced them to buff the LMGs.

Clearly there was a fuck up in the process and they either:
a) forgot to put the updated stats in the update
or
b) messed up the programming in the update so it isn't actually applying when/as it should

eek5

Here is why nothing shows up in testing:

MP5 = 11% increase in fire rate
UMP = 15% increse in min dmg
PM9 = .22% adjustment in kick
AK47 = .50% adjustment in kick
FAD = 20% min range 25% max range 5% dmg
M16 = 11% dmg 13% fire rate

Because none of the damage boosts make a difference. LMAO

eek5

So pathetic. What does that do for the M16? Add about 3-4 points of damage? Lmao.

49.95 min damage I think (3 bullet kill)

For the most part everything appears to be right on the edge of making a difference but just enough to not make a difference in the majority of scenarios. The only big changes will be when you're engaging in combat where people are at the range switchoff parts 5-10% further away.. as if you'd notice. I don't even think anyone plays cerebral enough to have a feel for when a weapon like FAD even flips from 4hk to 5hk to begin with so this whole "buff" is a huge non-event.

Half a percent adjustment in AK-47 kick is a knee slapper though. Why even bother? LOL

No, the UMP still did exactly 17 damage last people checked. They probably just mean that's how much things were approximated supposed changed.

For the most part everything appears to be right on the edge of making a difference but just enough to not make a difference in the majority of scenarios. The only big changes will be when you're engaging in combat where people are at the range switchoff parts 5-10% further away.. as if you'd notice. I don't even think anyone plays cerebral enough to have a feel for when a weapon like FAD even flips from 4hk to 5hk to begin with so this whole "buff" is a huge non-event.

Half a percent adjustment in AK-47 kick is a knee slapper though. Why even bother? LOL

...Then why am I hitting people with four bursts across the map and still not killing?

And because then they can say they did something.

It's obvious they meant to that the patch is supposed to do the following:

MP5: increase RoF from 800 to 880
UMP: increase damage from 49-17 to 49-20
PM-9: Decrease recoil by 22% (not 0.22%) (gunkick AND viewkick)
Ak47: Cut gunkick in half
FAD: increase damage from 30-24 to 30-25; move dropoff start to 1000; move dropoff end to 1200
M16: increase damage from 45-25 to 50-25 and increase RoF from 780 to 880

But clearly the patch isn't kicking in for whatever reason.

eek5

Yeah I just tested several of the guns and I'm not even getting close to what they're suggesting the hotfix did. Not sure what went wrong but the reported changes are definitely not in effect despite what some people are claiming.

On the bright side, I managed to go positive in my first TDM match in several months with an unbuffed M16. That was painful. Definitely still 3 hit kill up close and 4 hit kill long range lol

At least it's good practice for when the M16 becomes the Type 95 with better long range damage and a slightly slower RoF.

And I hope it means they later plan to increase the 2HK range of the M60 to somewhere around 1000 units as well.

EDIT: and better hipfire than the type 95 as well.... I don't like the sounds of that.

Nori Chan

Except they tested that as well and the silenced UMP works exactly the same as it did before.

The OFFICIAL sources once gloated about a patch that was supposed to decrease the RoF on akimbo machine pistols only for players to find out that they fucked up and actually INCREASED the RoF.

The OFFICIAL sources once claimed that the LMGs had better range than the ARs back before I convinced them to buff the LMGs.

Clearly there was a fuck up in the process and they either:
a) forgot to put the updated stats in the update
or
b) messed up the programming in the update so it isn't actually applying when/as it should

where the hell have you been

^
^
^
I'll explain in like two days..... or you can PM me.

EDIT: And now the Official sources are admitting that the patch didn't go through correctly.

Perhaps I'll celebrate playing being able to play MW3 again in a couple of days by actually using something besides a Shotgun or LMG.

So is there any bonus to buying Elite right now? For whatever reasons this game has it's teeth in me again, and I'm playing it a lot. That has led me to think about buying the first two map packs.

What is the general consensus on their quality? Is the third and final map pack coming soon?

Xux

I dunno about general consensus but, in my opinionated, subjective opinion, most of the DLC maps are pretty okay. Foundation is kinda lame and Overwatch is in the running for worst map in the series but the rest work rather well.

I dunno about general consensus but, in my opinionated, subjective opinion, most of the DLC maps are pretty okay. Foundation is kinda lame and Overwatch is in the running for worst map in the series but the rest work rather well.

Nothing is worse than downturn. I'm guessing you just forgot of its existence since it never shows up anymore.

So is there any bonus to buying Elite right now? For whatever reasons this game has it's teeth in me again, and I'm playing it a lot. That has led me to think about buying the first two map packs.

What is the general consensus on their quality? Is the third and final map pack coming soon?

If you care for the specs op missions/game mode/faceoff, purchase elite, you save $10 and get a whole service for free.

If you want multiplayer maps, buy the map packs. Depending on how many maps you want, you can purchase one collection or all 3 that include multiplayer maps. Collection 4 will have the most maps with 5, followed by Collection 1 with 4, and then Collection 2 only having 2 multiplayer maps.

Thats the main part. Also with elite comes competitions where you compete with people around the world for "who can get the most dom flag captures in a 3 hour period" or "most ffa kills in a 3 hour period" and they also have elite tv, where theres a few tv shows to watch based off of call of duty.

If that interests you, and you think it's worth $5, then you can get call of duty elite and not even touch the spec ops map pack stuff, and it's just like you paid $5 extra for competitions and elite tv.

Thats about all the information i can think of lol. The decision is yours!

EDIT: For you normal gamers out there, Collection #3: Chaos Pack is available on the 9th of August and Collection #4: Final Assault will release on the 6th of September.

Nori Chan

So since it's coming out next week, I'm pretty sure they'll be double xp weekend next week.

So I know what I'm not playing until next friday

Holy shit this collection stuff is confusing with this game. Here is the thing. For non elite people, there are only two "collections" available for purchase right now.

What I think they're doing is that with Elite they dole everything out in smaller collections, and then they eventually bundle those together and sell them to everyone else as a "collection".

DoomGyver

I finally got good internet today. After four years of 1mb with high pings I now have 10-20mbps with a decent ping. Once I get my entertainment center set back up its game time.

Holy shit this collection stuff is confusing with this game. Here is the thing. For non elite people, there are only two "collections" available for purchase right now.

What I think they're doing is that with Elite they dole everything out in smaller collections, and then they eventually bundle those together and sell them to everyone else as a "collection".

It's not that confusing.
With elite you get everything 1 map or 1 mission at a time every few weeks.

Map Pack 3 comes out August 7th and Map Pack 4 comes out September 9th for Non-Elite.

For Elite members they will get the new spec ops missions/game mode August 5th, and have already had the faceoff maps for like two months.

They get 3 new multiplayer maps on September 7th and have already have the other 2 for a month.

So if u buy elite this second, you already have Collection 1, Collection 2, Half of Collection 3, and Half of Collection 4.

Non-Elite has Collection 1, Collection 2, Collection 3 releasing August 7th, and Collection 4 releasing September 9th.

Top Bottom