• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

M.W.

CorrisD said:
I think this is the quickest I've come to terms with my disappointment in a CoD before.

Mostly a copy/paste MP, lack of anything 2 player+ for spec ops and its extras, and some of my favourite modes from BO are hidden away and can't be played online with the general CoD populace.

Well, there's no currency system in MW3, so how would Wager Matches work in matchmaking?

Hyunkel6

The Antitype said:
Am I the only one here about a million times more excited to play Spec Ops again (the real shit, not the horde mode knock-off) than to jump back into multiplayer?
I'm with you! And I'm also eager to know how the story concludes! SP, Spec Ops, then MP!

Kusagari said:
Wait...this game doesn't have wager matches? Fuck, one in the chamber was EASILY the best thing in Blops. Fucking around in that mode with friends was amazing.
A Goofy FFA playlist would be great, no need to actually "wager" anything. Just have fun.

Xux

Marcellus Wallace said:
Well, there's no currency system in MW3, so how would Wager Matches work in matchmaking?
Just make them gimmick TDM/FFA playlists like Kill Confirmed.

They replaced TDM with Kill Confirmed, right? 'Cause TDM seems completely obsolete next to it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Heppell said:
None of what you said is what the fans want, they want high intense gameplay and thats what IW do, so why change?
Sure fans of the series want essentially the same old stuff with minor changes but a lot of gamers out there don't want the same thing every year. Vire just wants the series to mix it up. Nothing wrong about what he wants.

LEGGZZZZ

Vire said:
The only thing that those suggestions I offered have in common with BF is destructible environments and vehicles. I'm not saying it should do all of these things - these are just some ideas laid out in current industry standards.

Now I understand where your coming from. If your looking for something that reinvents the series, I think you may be in the wrong thread. Every single suggestion you offered would drastically change the series, and while that definitely is not a bad thing, it is not what makes COD, COD. It sounds like your better off with another series (battlefield sounds right up your alley) or just picking this one up when it gets cheap (black Friday maybe?).

While it is nice to add new things, it can't completely disrupt what the series has been known for (fast arcadey infantry gameplay, 60 fps). I wouldn't expect to see a drastic change in the series until they move into future warfare (a possibility) or next generation, when hardware may actually be able to offer all of your suggestions and a solid 60 fps.

Rizzo

kayos90 said:
Sure fans of the series want essentially the same old stuff with minor changes but a lot of gamers out there don't want the same thing every year. Vire just wants the series to mix it up. Nothing wrong about what he wants.

When your games are consistently setting sales records it might not be the best idea to change the core gameplay too drastically... Right?

Vire

LEGGZZZZ said:
Now I understand where your coming from. If your looking for something that reinvents the series, I think you may be in the wrong thread. Every single suggestion you offered would drastically change the series, and while that definitely is not a bad thing, it is not what makes COD, COD. It sounds like your better off with another series (battlefield sounds right up your alley) or just picking this one up when it gets cheap (black Friday maybe?).

While it is nice to add new things, it can't completely disrupt what the series has been known for (fast arcadey infantry gameplay, 60 fps). I wouldn't expect to see a drastic change in the series until they move into future warfare (a possibility) or next generation, when hardware may actually be able to offer all of your suggestions and a solid 60 fps.

Yeah, I think you are right. It may just not be possible to do the things I mentioned at 60fps. Hopefully whatever the next CoD is - it is the next jump as CoD 2 to 4 was.

Otherwise I feel like more and more people will share the same sentiments as I am.

As the saying goes - familiarity breeds contempt.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
its like IW and Treyarch dont share anything when it comes to gameplay.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Marcellus Wallace said:
Well nothing needs to be wagered, they seem quite happy to stick a load of fun modes into split screen and private matches when I don't see a reason why they couldn't be just another part of the general MP as well but in their own playlist.

kayos90

Rizzo said:
When your games are consistently setting sales records it might not be the best idea to change the core gameplay too drastically... Right?
Yes, that's right. We're not saying that they're wrong. Usually if sales are good then there isn't any reason to change or anything. Same mentality goes for sequels and New-IPs. However, this doesn't discredit the fact that there are gamers out there who want change or something new and refreshing.

Shearie

leng jai said:
So party system is completely fucked on PS3? Drops out everytime we try to start a game.
Goddamnit! That is the same exact thing that happened when MW2 and BO came out. It's starting to become a long standing tradition.

Rizzo

CorrisD said:
Well nothing needs to be wagered, they seem quite happy to stick a load of fun modes into split screen and private matches when I don't see a reason why they couldn't be just another part of the general MP as well but in their own playlist.

In either the IGN or Gamespot livestream Bowling said something about those gamemodes being more about fun and less about balance, so they didn't want to allow people to rank up while playing them.

Not sure why they just didn't add an unranked playlist, or have they removed those completely? I know they have a cap on the number of playlists they can run.

Edit: Maybe it'll be easy to find those games on PC with the unranked dedis.

kayos90 said:
Yes, that's right. We're not saying that they're wrong. Usually if sales are good then there isn't any reason to change or anything. Same mentality goes for sequels and New-IPs. However, this doesn't discredit the fact that there are gamers out there who want change or something new and refreshing.

Absolutely, but a lot of (most of them, I think) the features he suggested can easily be found in something like BF3.

kayos90

Rizzo said:
In either the IGN or Gamespot livestream Bowling said something about those gamemodes being more about fun and less about balance, so they didn't want to allow people to rank up while playing them.

Not sure why they just didn't add an unranked playlist, or have they removed those completely? I know they have a cap on the number of playlists they can run.

Absolutely, but a lot of (most of them, I think) the features he suggested can easily be found in something like BF3.
Honestly I don't understand why people are comparing the two shooters together. One feels like an arcade sort of with small map skirmishes where as the one is a large map that is heavily objective based.

SailorDaravon said:
in line at Gamestop, about 250 people in front of me. However in an insane turn of events they're actually having to turn away people if they haven't already reserved as they are literally out of copies to sell, which is madness.

You see, this blows my mind. There will be stacked copies all over the place in 2 days. Yet, people waste hours of their lives lining up with hundreds of people. To do what? Get it a day early? Jesus Fuck. I just saw a lineup in front of BB where people were freezing their asses off. You can literally walk in fucking anywhere anytime and buy it in 2-3 days. Enough with the OCD.

LEGGZZZZ

Vire said:
[/B]Yeah, I think you are right. It may just not be possible to do the things I mentioned at 60fps. Hopefully whatever the next CoD is - it is the next jump as CoD 2 to 4 was.

Otherwise I feel like more and more people will share the same sentiments as I am.

As the saying goes - familiarity breeds contempt.

I'm thinking if they do go into future warfare, you may see that shift from COD2 to COD4 again. Whether or not that's a good thing, who knows, but the potential if definitely there, especially if the former founders (Now Respawn Ent at EA) are taking their new ip in a sci-fi direction as rumored, could be interesting.

bounchfx

wow. completely did not know this was coming out tomorrow, and this is coming from a once huge cod fan. I just can't justify getting excited about a game made by a company that's unproven. (sorry, sledge+ 'new' iw has no track record for games.. and even worse if Treyarch is involved).

can't wait to read more impressions and reviews. If it's good, I'll buy the hell out of it.

Mayyhem

How do you get the DubExp from signing up to Cod Elite? I signed up, verified it through email, and have it up and running but I have no Dub exp in game

Rizzo

kayos90 said:
Honestly I don't understand why people are comparing the two shooters together. One feels like an arcade sort of with small map skirmishes where as the one is a large map that is heavily objective based.

I think it comes down to people only having $60 to spend on a shooter this season. Just like 'platform wars', the other choices are obviously inferior to yours!

Sean

Banned
I won't get my copy until tomorrow morning (ordered on Amazon) but I'm curious to see what the player count is right after midnight. Can you see that online or just via the console?

Neverfade

MikeE21286 said:
Just got up here to get a copy. Good lord it's the scourge of the earth in line. Just the worst people ever.
It's incredibly dudebro here. I've never seen so many cargo shorts in 40 degree weather.

Desaan

CcrooK said:
Probably better than what BO offered.

Yes and no. The issue is exactly the same one from MW2 with the party catastrophe, if you can't play with friends and family what's the fucking point? How hard is it to get 2-3 people in a lobby into a game without it going sideways and everyone getting booted, or 2 get in one doesn't, sound awfully familiar no?

Cleary 100's of millions of dollars couldn't even correct it!

YE GODS! Sometimes I really despair.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Neverfade said:
It's incredibly dudebro here. I've never seen so many cargo shorts in 40 degree weather.

Hey, I'm wearing cargo shorts and I don't even watch football lol

Top Bottom