• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

rdrr gnr

Desaan said:
Yes and no. The issue is exactly the same one from MW2 with the party catastrophe, if you can't play with friends and family what's the fucking point? How hard is it to get 2-3 people in a lobby into a game without it going sideways and everyone getting booted, or 2 get in one doesn't, sound awfully familiar no?

Cleary 100's of millions of dollars couldn't even correct it!

YE GODS! Sometimes I really despair.
100s of millions don't mean shit without a beta. And even then, most gamers are spineless, they will gladly pay $60 to beta test their favorite franchise.

Desaan said:
Yes and no. The issue is exactly the same one from MW2 with the party catastrophe, if you can't play with friends and family what's the fucking point? How hard is it to get 2-3 people in a lobby into a game without it going sideways and everyone getting booted, or 2 get in one doesn't, sound awfully familiar no?

Cleary 100's of millions of dollars couldn't even correct it!

YE GODS! Sometimes I really despair.
You have to be kidding.
^Don't need a beta for a known, 2 year old issue...that, if I'm not mistaken, was taken care of in last year's game.

Desaan said:
Yup, it's become blatantly obvious IW can't netcode for SHIT.

Same old, same old.
About 9 million people are going to be playing this game tomorrow. I doubt even MAG's dedicated servers could handle that.

My only issue with CoD's copy/paste multiplayer is that I personally find myself getting bored of it quicker and quicker with each subsequent release. So I just feel like an idiot lately for buying multiplayer-centric games that I get bored of quickly.

I played CoD4 like an addiction for about 8 months before finally falling back into Halo 3.

Skipped WaW multiplayer, played MW2 for about 4 months before getting bored again. But I ADORED Spec-Ops.

Black Ops, I seriously stopped playing multiplayer after like 2 weeks, went right back to REACH.

Obviously, I seem to be in the minority. But that's why I have alternatives like REACH, BF3, GoW3 and what have you. So I don't begrudge fans of the series getting more of the same, I'm just not going into this particular CoD with expectations to be playing for a long time.

The Antitype said:
My only issue with CoD's copy/paste multiplayer is that I personally find myself getting bored of it quicker and quicker with each subsequent release. So I just feel like an idiot lately for buying multiplayer-centric games that I get bored of quickly.

I played CoD4 like an addiction for about 8 months before finally falling back into Halo 3.

Skipped WaW multiplayer, played MW2 for about 4 months before getting bored again. But I ADORED Spec-Ops.

Black Ops, I seriously stopped playing multiplayer after like 2 weeks, went right back to REACH.

Obviously, I seem to be in the minority. But that's why I have alternatives like REACH, BF3, GoW3 and what have you. So I don't begrudge fans of the series getting more of the same, I'm just not going into this particular CoD with expectations to be playing for a long time.
Don't worry I'm in the same boat, paying $60 to play this game for about a month.

Desaan

Mr. B Natural said:
You have to be kidding.
^Don't need a beta for a known, 2 year old issue...that, if I'm not mistaken, was taken care of in last year's game.

I wish I was, out of about 15 TDM games 3 of us go into the same game ONCE. :(

Mothman91

FUUU, I was going to pick up MGS HD and this tomorrow before class in the evening, but I was thinking that my gamespot might have it sold out. Might have to check a few stores tomorrow if so.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I accidentally put up one of the first MOAB gameplays just now, but was advised to remove it. Thought the embargo was up at 12pm ET, but I guess it's PT.

Legit ranked MOAB Gameplay Breakdown Analysis and tutorial video coming soon.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
LeMaximilian said:
I accidentally put up one of the first MOAB gameplays just now, but was advised to remove it. Thought the embargo was up at 12pm ET, but I guess it's PT.

Sweet, subscribed and ready!

rdrr gnr

Mr. B Natural said:
You have to be kidding.
This is such a naive mentality that ignores the reality of game development. No matter how identical the games may be, a working mechanic in a previous iteration means jack shit.

W Hudson

So I go to Wal Mart to pick up some groceries and figured, hell, I'll swing by the Gamestop I pre ordered at and pick up MW3 while I'm at it. It was around 11:45 and there were at least 300 people waiting in line. Said fuck it I will pick it up tomorrow during my lunch break at work. Easily the most people I have seen in line for a midnight release. COD is a sales beast.

fernoca

*control + F: Wii*

Well, is the least I can do while waiting. :p
Wouldn't surprise me if IGN puts all reviews, BUT the Wii version. Hope I'm wrong, since I'd like to see what Treyarch added, left or removed in this case.

LeMaximilian said:

I got to watch then lol. Great vids as usual.

COD is a sales beast.

60FPS on console is a beating.

GlamFM

Banned
snack said:
IGN review - 9.0/10

f65862e6ac0950321ffeb21e2481f22c.png

Fun campaign but a forgettable story? Oh, IGN. You make no sense.

Hilarious if true.

ascully

Amazon are taking the piss I preordered the Hardened edition back in February, they sent me a tracking number tonight saying shipped. Now I have a new mail saying they are out of stock of the hardened edition and they will ship when new stock arrives.

Dammit!!!!!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just a quick question before I go out and buy, is it worth it for me to get the CE or should I just get the regular edition.

madmackem

DarkFlow83 said:
They don't look all that different to me. People act like PS3 is getting some Atari 2600 port.

Check the first page of it too, i linked to just the second page of it. There is some serious difference in some of the shots, the kind of difference we have come to think of as a thing of the past with regards multiplat realeases.

T-0800

Bought MW3 on PS3 today. Finished the first 3 levels and played a couple of MP games and I love it. Was worried about the framerate after the rubbish that was BOPs but so far it has been silky smooth. Very happy.

kayos90 said:
Just a quick question before I go out and buy, is it worth it for me to get the CE or should I just get the regular edition.
Do you plan on getting all of the DLC? If so sure go ahead and get the CE as you'll get Elite for $10 less basically.

lionelhutz

W Hudson said:
So I go to Wal Mart to pick up some groceries and figured, hell, I'll swing by the Gamestop I pre ordered at and pick up MW3 while I'm at it. It was around 11:45 and there were at least 300 people waiting in line. Said fuck it I will pick it up tomorrow during my lunch break at work. Easily the most people I have seen in line for a midnight release. COD is a sales beast.

WTF are you doing with that avatar?

Rizzo

kayos90 said:

If you're planning on getting the DLC packs, get the Hardened.

madmackem

chubigans said:
360 has some horrible black crush going on, yuck. PS3 version looks fine, sans some textures.

Check the first page too mate, looks like is got worse aa and blurry textures also seems to be missing some shadows. Could be just bad caps lets hope so wait for more in depth screen grabs to show up.

Lyonaz

Bought game 6hrs ago at midnight sale at mediamarkt for €49, nice.
I love the SP campaigns of Modern Warfare, so the game is a blast so far. About 3hrs in at 43% completion on Hardened. Some of the setpieces gets crazy, so I'm enjoying it, the crazier the better.
Also played some MP and damn you die really fast, but after learning the maps a bit, I managed.
Also Kill confirmed is a fun mode, nothing is more fun then denying your enemies kills or let their dogtags sit and wait for them to try to retrieve it. Easy pickings, better fun with a wingman to watch your back.

kayos90 said:

At this point it almost sounds like a "good luck getting the Hardened Edition if you don't have it pre-ordered" situation. :\

MuseManMike said:
This is such a naive mentality that ignores the reality of game development. No matter how identical the games may be, a working mechanic in a previous iteration means jack shit.
A. You don't know what mechanic means, apparently
B. Hundreds of bugs are written up postmortem, which is where patching comes in. When making an iterative game, programmers are suppose to confront postmortem bugs that may not be solved through a patch alone or may take too much time to patch. This is especially true for A and B bugs (which this could very well be considered an A bug as it's a broken function of the game that is extremely common, easily diagnosable and does not have a work-around.)

This is what happened with Blops. They confronted an obvious, repeatable bug from a previous game and patched accordingly for the next iteration.

When you copy and paste something, you're at least suppose to clean up the bugs. And yes, it's clearly a copy paste job. How do I know? Well, the same bug is apparently still there that will affect millions.

Gee, now how would I know so much about writing up and fixing bugs? I must be naive about the reality of game development.

FStop7

Banned
I got a code from Amazon for $25 off an XBL membership for buying MW3. I had no idea that this was a promotion they were running. I am pleased.

T-0800

LifEndz said:
I wonder if Microsoft pays Activision to make the PS3 version inferior.

I'm playing it on PS3 and it looks fantastic. I was worried that it wouldn't be as good as MW2 and that it might even be as bad as BOPs on PS3. It looks better than MW2 and runs great.

Lyonaz

eudaemonic said:
At this point it almost sounds like a "good luck getting the Hardened Edition if you don't have it pre-ordered" situation. :\
The place I bought the game had plenty of Hardened editions, even for non pre-orders. I highly doubt it will be difficult to get. These days for high profile games they make plenty of extra copies. Hell Star Craft 2 Collector's Edition were easy available for weeks.

Timan

Developer
FStop7 said:
I got a code from Amazon for $25 off an XBL membership for buying MW3. I had no idea that this was a promotion they were running. I am pleased.

:O I didn't get that :(

ascully

backflip10019 said:
Has anybody else's copy not shipped from Amazon yet? I ordered release date shipping and usually they're pretty good about sending it out on time (the day before), but mine still says it's shipping soon.

See my previous post they sent me an email saying it is out of stock, so pissed I pre ordered it in February.

eudaemonic said:

Go to walmart at midnight, that's what I'm doing, I confirmed they are getting a handful for each system, obviously uncalled for. I have one coming from amazon already but I cant wait, my friend is going to buy the other, win/win.

Top Bottom