• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hinch7

Rate zombies for me boys , if zombies is amazing I'll buy it
Pretty awful. Its PVE extraction with zombies. No story+cutscenes or interesting world/place to explore or survive. Just a bland deserted town with Ubisoft objectives scattered around. No rounds, just one hour to play. The worst and laziest iteration yet, much like the campaign.

Only buy the game for the multiplayer. And if you like MW2 maps

Last edited:
Pretty awful. Its PVE extraction with zombies. No story+cutscenes or interesting world/place to explore or survive. Just a bland deserted town with Ubisoft objectives scattered around. The worst and laziest iteration yet, much like the campaign.

Only buy the game for the multiplayer. And if you like MW2 maps
Well I'll be damned. It's basically DMZ but without the soldiers and with zombies ?

hinch7

Well I'll be damned. It's basically DMZ but without the soldiers and with zombies ?
Yeah. There's soldiers to fight which are probably the most biggest threat in the game. Idk if you like DMZ, its quite chill shooting zombies but its not very engaging (imo of course).

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Can't decide if i should get it.
I played the beta on PS5 and PC woth controller and i was doing well on PC but not PS5

Ogbert

Gold Member
I’m enjoying it, but what the other chap said is fair. It is a bit bland.

It really is DMZ without other players shooting you. Reasonably relaxed. You drive around, do contracts and level up. Extract after 40 minutes or so.

My main complaint is that the missions you get given are a hassle to complete. You’re either relying on random drops or have no idea where to go.

That said, the fundamental shooting is a great deal of fun. I’ll just use it as a way of levelling/doing dailies.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What fancy MP stuff are locked behind daily challenges? I never buy mtx or care about special challenges or events. I just play unlocking stuff as they come. Are there key stuff locked?

I'm only around level 20. I think my WL is a little more than 1 and my KD is 1.50. Not really noticing any SBMM swings to get things in check.
A lot of guns, killstreaks, lethal equipment, gear like ghost and dead silence sneakers and gun attachments all when you go to create your classes

- Groot (I think). Looked like a tree character
- Some kind of Destiny looking character. Not sure. Sci-fi wizardy dude in a robe
Not groot, gaia, these are both from Spawn.

King Dazzar

I only ever play CoD campaigns. And this franchise decimates my storage. My PS5 is showing Cold War at 275GB lol and now MWIII has increased my MWII install to 147GB+, even though I dont own III. I've then got the MW1 Campaign installed on my XSX and its taking another couple of hundred GB. So for 3 campaigns lasting what, 20hrs total, Activision are taking 600GB+ of storage space. I should be charging them! Fuckers.

Last edited:

Aaron Olive

Hans Zimmer, my idol. The Hans Zimmer pack, is it worth it?
Always, Hans is the shit
fire.gif

My quick review

campaign - didnt touch it yet, sounds like I shouldn't
SBMM - way overboard and the worst it's ever been. I'm finding my games just keep getting sweatier the more I play no matter if I'm doing well or 5-6 under 1-1 KD.
Time to kill - its a bit high, I liked last years better
Guns - so far limited experience, wtf do we have last years guns in there. The joy of a new game is levelling up guns and the choice to use last years is lame.
Maps - I do like them but we started this year off as many good players know all the good camping spots already and that has been a disappointment.
Perks - best selection in years

I give it 4:messenger_poop:/10

Overpriced and should have been $40 for map pack.

twilo99

Gold Member
No way

Whoever is responsible for the sound design on headshots needs to be given a significant pay rise.

It’s absolutely perfect.

It’s very good indeed but overall I’m having a hard time hearing footsteps.. maybe it’s just me but 2019 was much better in this regard, and Counter Strike is on different level altogether

twilo99

Gold Member
Guns - so far limited experience, wtf do we have last years guns in there. The joy of a new game is levelling up guns and the choice to use last years is lame.

They can’t really win with this one because last year everyone was complaining about their guns being gone and now we have the exact opposite..

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I totally believe this as after I have some decent games not only am I in try hard sweaty lobbies but I die in weird ways

I mean I am turning the corner or just moving through the map and I just die in what feels like 2 hits but when I watch the kill cam he sees me long before I see him.

What I feel the SBMM is intended to do for the average player is keep every around a 1 ish to 1 KD and win ratio

So many people I know playing these last couple of years say their kd and win ratios are very close to even

twilo99

Gold Member
so many people I know playing these last couple of years say their kd and win ratios are very close to even

It’s weird that I never noticed anything like that when I was playing countless hours of 2019 .. maybe I’m just average enough to where the system doesn’t need to be as aggressive but my k/d and win rate were very good so I dunno

Gerdav

I totally believe this as after I have some decent games not only am I in try hard sweaty lobbies but I die in weird ways

I mean I am turning the corner or just moving through the map and I just die in what feels like 2 hits but when I watch the kill cam he sees me long before I see him.

What I feel the SBMM is intended to do for the average player is keep every around a 1 ish to 1 KD and win ratio

So many people I know playing these last couple of years say their kd and win ratios are very close to even
I’m exactly the same, I have never quite been sure if it’s connection or just way better players shooting more accurate, I can’t help but feel the ping in that video is just off or been faked, despite feeling like it’s a bit off I still get in games either under 15 or 28.

And as for the SBMM it doesn’t seem to be swinging so wildly, I just had a 2 hour session and went to do the daily challenges, I can’t even put into words how bad I am with a sniper, it took me 3 matches to get the bloody 7 kills and I was going 2/3-20+ in terms of K/D, these were the first matches I played I never got put in with the bot rookie lobbies at all, every lobby was sweaty palmed equal K/D.

I haven't purchased a CoD game since the original MW3, is this new game worth it if I'm only interested in Team Deathmatch and have zero interest in daily challenges and mtx?

twilo99

Gold Member
I haven't purchased a CoD game since the original MW3, is this new game worth it if I'm only interested in Team Deathmatch and have zero interest in daily challenges and mtx?

The core gameplay is very good but the daily challenge thing is almost essential if you care about unlocking everything. I think there is enough content to enjoy the game without having to unlock anything that’s behind the daily challenge wall, but not sure how that plays out long term

Ogbert

Gold Member
Yes.

Best multiplayer and maps in years. Well, since they released first time round.

The daily challenge thing is fine. You'll get two or three without even being aware. You just need to remember to pick one and keep them ticking over.

diffusionx

Gold Member
No, it's not like the COD you know, which is built around that fun/addictive progression system. This one is built around daily challenges, mtx, and funneling you into the gaas shit. It's why Activision sets it up the way they do.

Plus, SBMM basically makes a mockery of just going in and enjoying the game a little bit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

SBMM has been going on more than just servers and lobbies. I think it was MW3 (2011) where guns got really condensed into same-ish performance and maps became rat mazy. SMGs got a big improvement to recoil so you can kill people from distances no normal person could with consistency. There is no way anyone with MP5s, MP40s, Thompsons etc... can pick off people like AR/LMG in old games. But now any noob can run at Usain Bolt speed, unlimited stamina and spray rooms.

The SBMM trying to get people into 1.00 ratio tiers goes beyond competitive games. It equates to money and mtx. The more people stick around to play (most people are lousy at COD IMO), the more they play and the more mtx they make as casual are surely buying skins and loot crates. The hardcore gamers that really care about WL and KD ratios are the minority. If they drop off, they wont care.

When I'd look at my friends leaderboards for any COD game, the people that generally played the least were the people bad at it. So they bailed. It's not too often you see someone with decent or good stats bailing right away. Now Noob Nancy might stick around if she's put into bottom tier SBMM lobbies. And now she feels good getting 1.00 ratios with the rest of the bad players. Now she might buy a Lara Croft skin.

The best example is Apple transforming from rebel with weird specs to trying to normalize Macs for everyone, even using Windows and MS Office if they want. For every nerdy Apple rebel from the 80s and 90s they lost, they probably got 1000 casuals buying their stuff now. There's a lot more sales catering to the masses than the hardcore gamer.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
is this true? i didnt see anyone posting it, if so thats pretty dumb ^^

It's a bit over exaggeration.
You basic launch MWIII and it goes straight to MWIII and the MWII is located below by scrolling down now instead of on top in same menu style MWII had before with the option to pay previous entries.

3-4 campaign and recycled maps,
Modern Warfare 4 was 3h 44m
and here's is IW defending MWII campaign
All this isn't new so I'm surprised to hear this being news

Last edited:
I only ever play CoD campaigns. And this franchise decimates my storage. My PS5 is showing Cold War at 275GB lol and now MWIII has increased my MWII install to 147GB+, even though I dont own III. I've then got the MW1 Campaign installed on my XSX and its taking another couple of hundred GB. So for 3 campaigns lasting what, 20hrs total, Activision are taking 600GB+ of storage space. I should be charging them! Fuckers.
If you only play campaigns, there's absolutely no reason why cold war should be at 280GB, remove zombies, mp, dead ops, ratraycing data and hd textures and it should be ~90GB; in fact with everything installed it shouldn't be more than 200GB, so I dunno what's going on there.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's a bit over exaggeration.
You basic launch MWIII and it goes straight to MWIII and the MWII is located below by scrolling down now instead of on top in same menu style MWII had before with the option to pay previous entries.
Never understood this MWII thing.

People make it sound like you're getting into MWII and have to go looking for MWIII.

All the MWIII boxes are first things on screen.

Reactions: TGO
No, it's not like the COD you know, which is built around that fun/addictive progression system. This one is built around daily challenges, mtx, and funneling you into the gaas shit. It's why Activision sets it up the way they do.

Plus, SBMM basically makes a mockery of just going in and enjoying the game a little bit.
Thanks for saving me $70. Guess I'll just wait for the old CODs to hit Gamepass

A random on VC was also complaining, saying he's playing for no reason since his challenges aren't completing.
"Playing for no reason". I feel bad for that guy. 'Member when we used to play games for fun?
And the gunplay is just perfect on the PS5 with adaptive triggers.
I wish the L1/R1 had adaptive triggers. I play COD with ADS and Fire assigned to those for comfort and speed; it'd be nice to have that extra immersion.
It's not what I wanted from zombies--I like the more contained, mazelike maps and wave-based progression prior iterations had. But it's still fun. Like others have said, it's DMZ with zombies.
Whoever is responsible for the sound design on headshots needs to be given a significant pay rise.

It’s absolutely perfect.
That satisfying boom/pop/squish/splat

nikos

Glad this is being addressed. It's a major reason why I haven't been playing. Tac sprint is broken in a few ways. Noticed it immediately.

King Dazzar

If you only play campaigns, there's absolutely no reason why cold war should be at 280GB, remove zombies, mp, dead ops, ratraycing data and hd textures and it should be ~90GB; in fact with everything installed it shouldn't be more than 200GB, so I dunno what's going on there.
So I've rechecked. And for Cold War I manged to get back 58GB by uninstalling the Multiplayer pack. Most of the packs you mention simply aren't listed. But it takes 186GB just for the language pack itself. It appears to be impossible to reduce to 90GB. So including Zombies and Campaign, I've now dropped to approx 220GB. The MWII and MWI installs are already multiplayer stripped. For example the MWI install has upto 16 packs to choose from. And I know from past experience how horrendous that could be in knowing what was or wasn't required, just to play the campaign. Cold War is more straight forward in terms of pack count, but the language file at 186Gb is one install according to PS5 storage.

Anyway, if that comes across as needlessly complicated and large, that's because it is.

Last edited:
But it takes 186GB just for the language pack itself.
....what the hell is that? Did you install every language in existence?
I don't even have a "language pack", it's also crazy that it's almost twice as big as the game itself.
Maybe it's a playstation only thing? Because I don't see a language or language pack option on xbox.

I just checked some reddit post and apparently the language pack file size just mirrors the entire game filesize? Still odd that I don't even have that option.....are you maybe playing the PS4 version instead of the PS5 version? Do you have the option for the other packs I mentioned? The Raytracing data and the HD assets packs?

King Dazzar

....what the hell is that? Did you install every language in existence?
I don't even have a "language pack", it's also crazy that it's almost twice as big as the game itself.
Maybe it's a playstation only thing? Because I don't see a language or language pack option on xbox.

I just checked some reddit post and apparently the language pack file size just mirrors the entire game filesize? Still odd that I don't even have that option.....are you maybe playing the PS4 version instead of the PS5 version? Do you have the option for the other packs I mentioned? The Raytracing data and the HD assets packs?
lol, of course not, just US English. PS5 version. And yes the PlayStation doesn't appear to list the breakdown of packs as detailed as Xbox does with MWI.

I think whats happening. Is that it might be combining the MWII (now called III) as part of the 182.6GB language pack. So there might be some collective storage reporting going on. Either way with the packs being reported on PS5, I can not get it down to a reported 90GB.

Anyway, dont mean to derail anymore. My main point is, that it was and continues to be, unnecessarily messy.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Anyone run into totally invisible players?

Came across one today who was just running around knifing people and did a quick search and seems its popping up today.

Hoping its just a glitch they fix fast

Plus had 2 daily challenges work but 3rd one getting 2 operator kills with launchers is not working

Game sure has a few issues but I am enjoying it so far

splattered

I've been sick all weekend so I didn't even boot this up... Just played some D4 to help my wife get caught up some since she hasn't been able to play much recently. Looking forward to digging in some this week... Should I start with campaign or jump straight into mp? Not bothered by campaign being crappy tbh

Top Bottom