• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheShocker

I’m sure I am in the minority here, but the campaign has been more than passable. I’m playing on Hardened and am about halfway through.

If people are claiming they beat the game in 3 hours, then they played it on recruit and blew through the missions and open combat stuff. They had to have skipped the cutscenes too. I’ve easily put 5 or so hours into it at this point.

Is the game a 10/10? Hell no. Is it a 4/10? Absolutely not. Campaign alone is a 7/10 and factor in the MP and zombies, and it’s an easy $70 purchase for me.

This is where I’m putting on a tinfoil hat, but I think the game is paying a MS review tax here. Way too convenient that the acquisition goes through and the first game out the gate is absolutely trashed in reviews.

Actually spoke with a cheater last night who was on my team as we were playing Kill Confirmed on Rust and he didn't want people picking up tags as he was racking up tons of kills

He said he has all the latest hacks and always stays ahead of Ricochet because he pays $20 a month for the most up to date hacks

Not only imagine cheating, not only imagine paying a one time fee for cheats but imagine a monthly sub just to cheat at videos games

ryan reynolds hd GIF

cdODaZy.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Man i’m really into this. These old school maps slap so hard.
It seems to me that these maps were very popular, so it was a safe bet considering the time constraints. How old is rust? That was also in 2019
All the standard maps are from the 2009 game. But there are some brand new maps in the other modes. Rust in 2009 was a DM only map I believe. It was never in TDM mode.

These old maps are great. But it's so much harder than 2009. Players probably run 50% faster, unlimited stamina and most guns now have half the recoil compared to back then. And since these old school COD maps have lots of open areas to shoot people without all the clutter, I'm picking people off from half way across the map and other games are doing the same back to me in half the TTK as the old game.

For those of who havent played it yet but played the 2009 game, the maps are adjusted. Some are bigger, and the crap and cover can be adjusted. Holistically it's the same, but tweaked. My fav spot in Terminal is not the same. There's now open gaps for me/enemies to shoot each other when in 2009 it was solid cover.

Estate and Sub Base seem a lot bigger and different. But Run Down and Skidrow seem pretty same-ish.

Last edited:
Just bought the game and skipped the campaign all together .
Here's what I can tell u about multiplayer after 3 hours
It's sublime it really is an expansion to MW2 graphics wise but the 150 hp and the movement makes it a 100 times better game than mw2

BigLee74

Skid row was always my favourite, and they’ve done it justice here.

I also REMEMBER liking Sub Base, but the first time that came up I didn’t have a clue where I was or what I was doing. It’s nothing like I remember, and twice the size I remember!

jorgejjvr

Skid row was always my favourite, and they’ve done it justice here.

I also REMEMBER liking Sub Base, but the first time that came up I didn’t have a clue where I was or what I was doing. It’s nothing like I remember, and twice the size I remember!
Bunch of these maps need more players

Cyborg

So this game is bad, MP is also just plain bad! The movement seems a bit more off, you feel the weight of running. Or is it just me?

Why do CoD games show your Activision account name instead of your PSN name?

I haven't purchased a CoD game since the original MW3, is this new game worth it if I'm only interested in Team Deathmatch and have zero interest in daily challenges and mtx?
It's not worth it for the price. 70$ is overpriced for what MW3 offers. You are better off getting MW2 on discount because MW3 offers little new stuff (recycled OG MW2 maps, better-debatable movement) and that's about it.

Gerdav

Had my first match on Underpass last night and then like a London bus 3 came along at once, and I don’t remember that map playing this badly back in the day, it’s a absolute cluster fuck of just being melted by a laser from god knows where, there is way to much going on with the map that in combination with the faster movement and more noob friendly gun systems that the map just doesn’t work.
Why do CoD games show your Activision account name instead of your PSN name?
I always assumed because it’s cross play and there is always the potential that someone has the exact same name on Xbox or their Activision ID for PC players.

calistan

I’m sure I am in the minority here, but the campaign has been more than passable. I’m playing on Hardened and am about halfway through.

If people are claiming they beat the game in 3 hours, then they played it on recruit and blew through the missions and open combat stuff. They had to have skipped the cutscenes too. I’ve easily put 5 or so hours into it at this point.

Is the game a 10/10? Hell no. Is it a 4/10? Absolutely not. Campaign alone is a 7/10 and factor in the MP and zombies, and it’s an easy $70 purchase for me.

This is where I’m putting on a tinfoil hat, but I think the game is paying a MS review tax here. Way too convenient that the acquisition goes through and the first game out the gate is absolutely trashed in reviews.
I'm enjoying the campaign too. Not sure how far I've got or how long I've played, since it merges all the stats and achievements into the same container as MW II (gah!) but it seems the same sort of quality as previous CoD campaigns.

There's nothing so far that's as annoying as some of those missions in the previous one (sneaking and crafting in MW II was pretty bad).

The scathing reviews are only happening because CoD has gone from being owned by one of the most hated companies in gaming, to being owned by the absolute anitichrist of gaming. Only the most deeply concerned fanboy would give this 4/10.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Had my first match on Underpass last night and then like a London bus 3 came along at once, and I don’t remember that map playing this badly back in the day, it’s a absolute cluster fuck of just being melted by a laser from god knows where, there is way to much going on with the map that in combination with the faster movement and more noob friendly gun systems that the map just doesn’t work.

I always assumed because it’s cross play and there is always the potential that someone has the exact same name on Xbox or their Activision ID for PC players.
Underpass has a problem with spawn zones (as do a few other maps).

If your team gets caught in one particular corner you have to turn into an little opening which everyone camps.

You have to remember that everyone knows these maps like the back of their hand. It’s not going to be fun for newcomers.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
All the standard maps are from the 2009 game. But there are some brand new maps in the other modes. Rust in 2009 was a DM only map I believe. It was never in TDM mode.

These old maps are great. But it's so much harder than 2009. Players probably run 50% faster, unlimited stamina and most guns now have half the recoil compared to back then. And since these old school COD maps have lots of open areas to shoot people without all the clutter, I'm picking people off from half way across the map and other games are doing the same back to me in half the TTK as the old game.

For those of who havent played it yet but played the 2009 game, the maps are adjusted. Some are bigger, and the crap and cover can be adjusted. Holistically it's the same, but tweaked. My fav spot in Terminal is not the same. There's now open gaps for me/enemies to shoot each other when in 2009 it was solid cover.

Estate and Sub Base seem a lot bigger and different. But Run Down and Skidrow seem pretty same-ish.
Agreed 100%. I’m getting hammered some rounds in ways I never did in MW2.
So what's the verdict on MP so far? Yay or nay?
Yay. But you get absolutely melted leveling guns I find. I’m still below a 1.0KD. To make sure its not me who regressed, I mix some MW2 in and routinely get at or near the top of the leaderboards.

I really think the multiplayer is great this year, feels better than last year anyway, well I would say its up there with the best of them. Other than the armoury unlocks thing which is pretty painful and I hope is tweaked its a great game. Campaign as I said before is about a 6 out of 10 zombies looks trash tbf but haven't tried it yet so wont comment, multiplayers must be a 8 or 9 out of ten.

Cyborg

Is anyone else ''feeling'' that the movement is heavy? I play on PS5 and everything seems to move a lot slower than in previous CoD games. It is hard to describe but when I look at Jackfrag's videos the movement is much much faster then what I experience.

Any reason for that?

Mephisto40

Is anyone else ''feeling'' that the movement is heavy? I play on PS5 and everything seems to move a lot slower than in previous CoD games. It is hard to describe but when I look at Jackfrag's videos the movement is much much faster then what I experience.

Any reason for that?
Enable auto sprint in the options, and learn to slide cancel

twilo99

Gold Member
Well, it’s got some of the best maps in the games’ history and brilliant gunplay.

I’m loving it and I can’t usually be arsed with CoD at all.

Yes the game feels good except for the tac sprit issue but they’ve acknowledged that and there is a fix coming apparently. Obviously there are other smaller issues, but we have to remember that the game just came out..

Overall the core gameplay is very enjoyable

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those of you starting out and like AR kind of gunplay, one of the default classes has a BAS-B gun. It's a good gun. I use the gun permanently in one of my custom classes right now until I level up and try MCW like the beta. MCW far away at level 44. I'm only like 25. I've added suppressor and a bunch of attachments that improve recoil/stability/sway kind of shit. It's not laser accurate, but pretty close.

Even though COD games now have little recoil in general, I was picking off enemies in the small boat house in Estate map from inside the main house.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

For those of you starting out and like AR kind of gunplay, one of the default classes has a BAS-B gun. It's a good gun. I use the gun permanently in one of my custom classes right now until I level up and try MCW like the beta. MCW far away at level 44. I'm only like 25. I've added suppressor and a bunch of attachments that improve recoil/stability/sway kind of shit. It's not laser accurate, but pretty close.
Start up Zombies, select the gun you want as your starting gun (MCW), do solo, run to extraction point, extract, use gun in MP.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Start up Zombies, select the gun you want as your starting gun (MCW), do solo, run to extraction point, extract, use gun in MP.
Can you do this for all guns? So if there's 10 guns I wanted unlocked, I can do 10 different runs?

Are the unlockable guns also for those Armory/challenge guns too? Or just standard "unlock at level 30" kinds of guns?

Mr Moose

Can you do this for all guns? So if there's 10 guns I wanted unlocked, I can do 10 different runs?

Are the unlockable guns also for those Armory/challenge guns too? Or just standard "unlock at level 30" kinds of guns?
Yeah, should be able to do it in 5, you can carry 2 guns, just make sure they are in your inventory and not backpack when you extract. If you need one that's not on the list, you can try and find the ones you buy on the walls.
Works for explosives and shit too, I unlocked thermite though not sure what level that was meant to unlock.
So far unlocked MCW, Longbow, Holger 556 and MWC 6.8.
I'm currently lvl 19.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, should be able to do it in 5, you can carry 2 guns, just make sure they are in your inventory and not backpack when you extract. If you need one that's not on the list, you can try and find the ones you buy on the walls.
Works for explosives and shit too, I unlocked thermite though not sure what level that was meant to unlock.
So far unlocked MCW, Longbow, Holger 556 and MWC 6.8.
I'm currently lvl 19.
Awesome thanks.

None of my daily challenges are tracking today, awesome
Unless I;m doing it wrong, one of the attachments says Unlock doing 5 of this... I did it. Check marked. OR wait for Level 25 Armoury.

But it never unlocked.

So I'm assuming it's borked. Or when I hit level 25 it will unlock? (I think I'm level 23 not 25)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Awesome thanks.

Unless I;m doing it wrong, one of the attachments says Unlock doing 5 of this... I did it. Check marked. OR wait for Level 25 Armoury.

But it never unlocked.

So I'm assuming it's borked. Or when I hit level 25 it will unlock? (I think I'm level 23 not 25)
Yeah all the attachment, perks, weapons and gear unlocks you have to wait until level 25

Mr Moose

Awesome thanks.
Just tested it to make sure, but yeah seems to work with the locked armory guns/items. Got the KV Inhibitor unlocked, took a while to find it on the map though. Didn't work for kill streak (I had a cluster mine when I extracted but it's still locked). Might try and find the drill charge to unlock that :messenger_weary:

amigastar

I would like to play a Call of Duty Campaign, unfortunately it almost never goes on sale and the older campaigns still cost 60 bucks.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I havent played the recent CODs much at all. Last one I put some decent time into was Cold War (which I thought was solid).

I'd the say the biggest difference between MWIII and any recent COD game are the maps. Very different style of maps these map are based on (2009). Even after they adjusted some to be bigger and tweaked cover/layouts a bit, the maps will feel a lot different than the clusterfucky recent COD maps with tons of windows, vertical floors etc.... The old ass COD games had more open views and flatter and some rooms have one opening. You get some second floor stuff, but thats kind of it. If a guy wants to hole up with claymores in one of these rooms, you really got to flush him out.

The game makes it more accessible as your character can jump and heave up ledges more compared to old games which had you being really flatfooted, but even then this game is more about distance gun play. You'll get your ass raped from distance by SMGs from halfway across the map. The 2009 game wasnt this deadly because SMGs back then had way more recoil and there werent additional attachment to improve handling for any gun except some guns I think had a Grip perk.

Last edited:

Calverz

Well, I’ve unlocked gold for all the assault rifles and now working my way through battle rifles. The multiplayer is good. War mode definitely needs a bit of attention. The colour gamma is off and there is some issues with animations. It also needs another map. I’d like to see a new map in season 1 but won’t hold my breath.

Generally if you liked modern warfare II (2022) then you will like this as it’s more of the same but on the classic maps which has its cons and pros. Personally I loved mw2 original and 2022 so I’m having a complete blast with this.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's something to these open-ended campaign missions, the structure is nice, but it would be better in a dedicated game of its own where that's the primary focus.

Top Bottom