• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

twilo99

Gold Member

Yea something isn't quite right on mouse but I messed around with the mouse filtering settings and got it to a point where it almost feels like 2019. People in comments are saying its an engine issue, but who knows.

Also it sounds like Treyarch will be using the current engine for the next one.

Considering how small of a % m/k players are from their user base, I very much doubt that they care.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
- Stamina bar will be added to HUD
- Won't have traditional prestige system, will be the same as MWII
- Bunny hopping returning in some form
- Some SMGs buffs coming soon
- No changes to sway while ADS
- No plans for more completionist camos
- Changes to XP rates in S&D soon

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I've been enjoying this

also

"Wins will now progress armory unlocks even if the player hasn’t completed their other daily challenges first. "
I have always loved the burst rifles even back in the G11 days of Black Ops

Something satisfying about one tapping a full health person

Honestly don't get the complaints about the campaign, took me much longer than "3 hours", and I quite enjoyed the ground zeroes approach to the open fire missions, going all stealth and clearing everything the way I wanted was dope; my favourite mission was the mission with Gaz in the building though giving all these different options to how you want to reach the top, and neat secrets hidden everywhere.
This campaign was imo better then MWII's

Osthyvel

I can see in stats how long i have played mp/zombies, is it possible to see how long the campaign was? Cant find that...

BigLee74

You don’t need that setting to make the dg 58 full auto, the manual burst is deadly enough. There is still a big gap between bursts when you make it full auto, so you don’t really gain anything.

This gun will be nerfed soon, no doubt!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Man is it tough. SBMM and zero recoil guns everywhere make it a slog. But it's still good MP gaming.

I keep getting thrown into teams with overall shit players, so my WL is probably the worst ever in any COD game. trying my best with a KD about 1.40.

Anyone know what the general algorithm is for SBMM? Is it WL or KD? or a mishmash of everything including perhaps even shooting accuracy etc...

Last edited:

calistan

Man is it tough. SBMM and zero recoil guns everywhere make it a slog. But it's still good MP gaming.

I keep getting thrown into teams with overall shit players, so my WL is probably the worst ever in any COD game. trying my best with a KD about 1.40.

Anyone know what the general algorithm is for SBMM? Is it WL or KD? or a mishmash of everything including perhaps even shooting accuracy etc...
At a guess I'd say it's a combination of things. I haven't yet played enough of this one for it to figure out where my skill level lies, but in MW2 I focused entirely on objective-based games and had a really low K/D - like 0.6 in some modes - but a much higher W/L, around 1.6-ish.

Even if I was the one securing most of the objectives and scoring the points, there would almost always be players rated much higher than me at the end because they'd got loads of kills despite not really contributing to the team.

In previous CoDs I was keen on preserving my K/D, but now I think it's meaningless if you don't win the game, and I don't have any complaints about SBMM. So maybe getting a high K/D gets you a worse matchup than going for the win.

Bridges

Planning on picking this up probably early next year. Did they revert back to the old perk system or are they still using the MWII perks where you unlock them throughout the match?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At a guess I'd say it's a combination of things. I haven't yet played enough of this one for it to figure out where my skill level lies, but in MW2 I focused entirely on objective-based games and had a really low K/D - like 0.6 in some modes - but a much higher W/L, around 1.6-ish.

Even if I was the one securing most of the objectives and scoring the points, there would almost always be players rated much higher than me at the end because they'd got loads of kills despite not really contributing to the team.

In previous CoDs I was keen on preserving my K/D, but now I think it's meaningless if you don't win the game, and I don't have any complaints about SBMM. So maybe getting a high K/D gets you a worse matchup than going for the win.
Going by my limited time playing the game so far, I think the SBMM is based heavily on KD in terms of career and how you did in the most recent match. I find when I kick ass one game the next game is almost always a tough slog. where it bounces back and forth rarely letting me string together a shit load of wins, or losses together.

I dont think WL means much (I'm just guessing here) because with my WL ratio being shit at 0.60 and my KD being around 1.40, I should be getting put into easy lobbies so I can rack up wins and creep back to WL of 1.00. Instead the matches I get put into are generally on the harder side.

I'd give a ballpark estimate for every 5 games I play: 1 is easy, 2 are average, 2 are mega hard. Hence, shit WL.

Last edited:

SCB3

Just got into the Campaign now and I cannot overstate how fucking much I hate these "Open Missions" if I wanted to play Warzone I would

And wtf is going on with Zombies this time? It feels like an expansion to DMZ, I liked the tighter concise levels from the previous entries, they were fun

The wins for unlocking armoury seems hit and miss for me. Pisses me off when a challenge is for kit I havent unlocked; also hate some challenges that do not suit my style, e.g. grenade kills, I have two frag kills in total, but seem to die regularly to them (my claymores never seem to kill either 🤣 and I only play HC TDM).

Have they fixed the cold blooded perk yet? When I equip it with ghost (with the armour that allows four pieces of gear/perks), and select that load out it gives me the first default load instead, hate getting lit up by kill streaks in the air, especially when it spawns you right in the open.

Can't make my mind up on mp yet, probably enjoying it more than hating it, but it definitely gets more brutal as the evening goes on, plus I seem to get killed a lot and cannot see where my killer is.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Seems Cronus still working for consoles.

Came across this video doing some research as I was sure a couple of guys were straight cheating on PS only lobbies

splattered

For some reason having some trouble with aiming in MP... finally played a few more matches tonight and there were several times where i would be sprinting and come up on an enemy hold to ADS and my gun points up towards the sky instead of anywhere near the enemy and i have to fight with the controller to get it back on target. Costs me so many 1v1 battles it was driving me crazy. Was just messing around with some of the default setups and the battle rifle seemed insanely inaccurate from mid-long distance like i was losing against everyone even using SMGs from long distance.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I made a load out of the DG-58 with auto fire enabled doing the settings trick.

Good gun, but not as godly as that YT dude makes it out to be. I even got some attachments and MK3 whatever reflector reticule. The game has low recoil as a whole for most guns, so a normal gun that if fully automatic can be just as good. I've been using BAS decked out with attachments and find it better.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member

Came across this video doing some research as I was sure a couple of guys were straight cheating on PS only lobbies

Yeah, I've noticed.. But I don't get it.. if the script is basically doing the work for you, what's the point in "playing". Is it some childish pretend, a daydream of being a master of something you're not good at..? Brain damage..? I'm so lost on the cheating thing, makes absolutely no sense to me.

Edit: Anyway, I was kicked off the server in Zombies again.. And this time even before stepping off the chopper. Lost all my gear.. was prepping for a story mission in solo so all my slots were full. Why the fuck is this happening, why are server issues I can't do anything about leaving me with a massive penalty.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, I've noticed.. But I don't get it.. if the script is basically doing the work for you, what's the point in "playing". Is it some childish pretend, a daydream of being a master of something you're not good at..? Brain damage..? I'm so lost on the cheating thing, makes absolutely no sense to me.
Down and out losers whose sole victory in life is cheating in MP games. Even dumber is that in order to cheat, often times the aimbot or gadget or whatever costs money too. So not only are they cheating, but actually paying for it. Save your time and money and go get a girlfriend.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don’t get it either but I have run into several people last couple of days that have been very suspect

they are pretty easy to spot with how fast their sights track you

Edit: Anyway, I was kicked off the server in Zombies again.. And this time even before stepping off the chopper. Lost all my gear.. was prepping for a story mission in solo so all my slots were full. Why the fuck is this happening, why are server issues I can't do anything about leaving me with a massive penalty.
I really like MWZ, but this problem sucks the fun right out of it. Start a game, wait to join a server, join fails, you get kicked back to the lobby and boom all your gear gone. Luckily it's not too frequent.

twilo99

Gold Member
Running the rival 9 SMG, so good, I'm killing ARs at range with it

It feels like an AR and I don't know if that's a good thing, and everyone says that all the rest of the SMGs are too weak, but I think that's how it should be, that's why they are called that. CoD players are used to them being very strong I think and in this they felt more like Counter Strike where I think the balance between AR and SMG is very well done.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
After dabbling with various gear, I'm only like level 40. But based on the stuff unlocked for me and my playstyle, here's my impressions on loadouts so far:

- Demolition vest > Engineer vest > Gunner vest. Demo vest lets you carry tons of shit, replenishes and you can toss and plant lots of tactical and lethal
- BAS-B > DP-58 (even with the auto enabled option) > SVA. I havent tested MCW (level 44) and Holger yet (too lazy)
- MK3 Reflector reticule. Basic no nonsense aimer
- If you go gunner vest, Riviter shotgun is good secondary (full auto shotgun)
- Smoke grenade is important since there's lots of snipers in the game. The second you see glint, run or duck!
- Scatter mine is shit. Avoid. I dont know if an enemy running through it even gets killed. Maybe wounded and thats all?
- Prox mines >>> claymores. It's important to plant them around corners since enemies can see the colours flashing. Its not like old school bouncing betties in COD games which blended into the ground. Dont plant them too close around the corner. Give it a bit of space to trigger since someone rounding the corner might be able to run right through it
- Deployable cover is solid (you can plant many of them). I dont think any bullet can get through it. Not even sniper shots. I think you can plant 3 at once (as they replenish). Use one to block a doorway behind you. When you hear an enemy destroying it it'll give you time to react. Plant prox mine near it too or right behind it!

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One thing thats buggy are the Leaderboards. It shows only one friend has played the game showing his stats. But the rest of people I know whose played the game dont even show up.

PSYGN

Multiplayer review for my first day as a late player that hasn't played since MW2019.

• Most everyone is level 55 in my lobbies and they all wear dead silence and ghost
    • I might as well be stepping on piano keys as I move around the map
      • Sucks that dead silence is unlocked so late; nice that a default class has dead silence and ghost
  • Players seem to gravitate towards DG-58, Holger 556, or MTZ-556
    • DG-58 is absolutely disgusting and will surely get a nerf
  • In typical Sledgehammer form, SMG's feel like peashooters and are pointless when AR's can mow you down up close and from afar
  • UI is convoluted as hell, launcher is annoying. I feel like UI/UX designers in modern games especially CoD are borderline retarded
  • Spawns can be laughably bad at times (but that's just CoD in general)
  • Advanced control settings are welcome
    • Linear doesn't feel like true linear; there still seems to be some slight acceleration (noticeable when you tilt stick all the way to the left/right on higher sensitivity... it should be constant all the way through but it's slightly slower in the beginning)

All in all, game feels good, kinda has a spark of the older CoD games, but the game is not enjoyable if you're just starting out now as everyone is maxed out sound whoring their way around. I guess with SBMM that's to be expected, but I remember in older CoD games it was rare to see players maxed out so soon.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Multiplayer review for my first day as a late player that hasn't played since MW2019.

• Most everyone is level 55 and they all wear dead silence and ghost
    • I might as well be stepping on piano keys as I move around the map
      • Sucks that dead silence is unlocked so late; nice that a default class has dead silence and ghost
  • Players seem to gravitate towards DG-58, Holger 556, or MTZ-556
    • DG-58 is absolutely disgusting and will surely get a nerf
  • In typical Sledgehammer form, SMG's feel like peashooters and are pointless when AR's can mow you down up close and from afar
  • UI is convoluted as hell, launcher is annoying. I feel like UI/UX designers in modern games especially CoD are borderline retarded
  • Spawns can be laughably bad at times (but that's just CoD in general)
  • Advanced control settings are welcome
    • Linear doesn't feel like true linear; there still seems to be some slight acceleration (noticeable when you tilt stick all the way to the left/right on higher sensitivity... it should be constant all the way through but it's slightly slower in the beginning)

All in all, game feels good, kinda has a spark of the older CoD games, but the game is not enjoyable if you're just starting out now as everyone is maxed out sound whoring their way around.
I do Covert Sneakers and Ghost too. Easily the best gear in those boxes.

DG-58 is overkilling it since a YT dude found out if you go to control settings and adjust one of the sliders (something to do with auto firing) even burst rifles go into auto-firing mode just holding down the button. You still got burst action, but no more repressing the trigger needed. I did it myself today and didn't find it that great. I just went back to BAS-B.

Wins now count as a daily unlock (in green). So manually try to choose the unlocks you want, so by Level 25 Armory they are unlocked. I think thats how it works. That green daily challenge part can be opened up and you can choose what to go after too. So if something says 0/3. Win 3 matches and it'll unlock. This change happened just recently. So no more needing to dick around doing challenges like "Get 6 pistol kills" if you dont feel like it. Just go for wins.

You can also choose weapon attachments to go after too to unlock.

This game has such low recoil, just about any gun can nail you from halfway across the map.

Agreed on UI. There's so much shit on screen.... LB/RB does some tabs (Xbox). Then press Menu to do the other set of tabs.

I find spawns generally ok.

Last edited:

calistan

Zombies mode is really good. I never really knew what was going on with it in previous games, but it makes a lot more sense here.

Had a good one yesterday. I found a massive LMG in a mystery crate, got a 'brain rot' powerup that makes the occasional zombie start fighting for you, and upgraded it all so I could have 400 ammo in a clip. Made it to the chopper with less than 10 seconds to spare.

One of the people on my team was dressed as Skeletor, which is ridiculous even in zombies mode. Luckily he got stranded somewhere and didn't make it to the end.

People like to shit on cod but this zombies is absolutely fantastic , it starts slow but my god does the difficulty ramps up in red zone and some fantastic times soloing in red zone , had 2 ultra rare schematics and died in red zone but a squad was nearby and revived me

This is why I wish they'd drop last gen already. Afaik these things don't work on PS5 so when you have crossplay off lobbies everyone cheating with one of these is playing the PS4 copy of the game.

Anyway SHG is doing an AMA on Reddit and predictably most of the questions are about the horrible SBMM/EOMM that's ruining the game right now.

Top Bottom