• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare |OT| Zero Dank Thirty

gioGAF

Why in hades do I have to play 25 matches with a weapon class I have no desire to play with and doesn't fit my play style so I can play with a "free" weapon?!

Can I take a tally.....worth it, yay or nay?
A friend of mine unlocked it and I got to try it out (I'm in the same boat as you, I don't use Marskman Rifles). The weapon itself sucks, it is strictly a "for fun" weapon. It is very slow, the bolts travel slowly compared to regular weapons (have to lead your target from medium range on, have to use attachment to speed up the bolts which at the same time slows down your handling even more), it is brutal to reload (Sleight of Hand is a must).

The novelty bolts are entertaining and could have uses. Explosive bolts for people hiding in corners (however the detonation delay sucks). Incendiary is good against killstreaks (if you can land the shot). Venom puts down the green gas which can be pretty annoying for opponents but you have to hit someone for it to take effect (if you miss the shot it doesn't do anything). I think I would only use the crossbow as a "for fun" secondary on an Overkill class with a real weapon as primary.

I would say, don't worry about it. You are not missing out on anything. Also, don't buy it from the store, you are not able to modify the store bought crossbow in any way.

Last edited:
A friend of mine unlocked it and I got to try it out (I'm in the same boat as you, I don't use Marskman Rifles). The weapon itself sucks, it is strictly a "for fun" weapon. It is very slow, the bolts travel slowly compared to regular weapons (have to lead your target from medium range on, have to use attachment to speed up the bolts which at the same time slows down your handling even more), it is brutal to reload (Sleight of Hand is a must).

The novelty bolts are entertaining and could have uses. Explosive bolts for people hiding in corners (however the detonation delay sucks). Incendiary is good against killstreaks (if you can land the shot). Venom puts down the green gas which can be pretty annoying for opponents but you have to hit someone for it to take effect (if you miss the shot it doesn't do anything). I think I would only use the crossbow as a "for fun" secondary on an Overkill class with a real weapon as primary.

I would say, don't worry about it. You are not missing out on anything. Also, don't buy it from the store, you are not able to modify the store bought crossbow in any way.

Thx for the heads up and a lengthy review🤜🤛
welp, another 💩 turd bites the dust

A "for fun" weapon locked behind a challenge wall that steep. I wouldn't have minded at all if it was a progression in battlepass, but that blows. Oh well, I guess I can always pick one up if I find one. Thanks for the review!

gioGAF

I would suggest you set up an Overkill class with a primary of your choice and a Marksman Rifle as a secondary so you can play as you like while trying to hit those 5 kills a match. That is what I am doing, the Marksman Rifle acts as a downgraded sniper rifle at the moment.

No use grinding it out, which just ends up being an exercise in frustration. Really good players say they knocked out the challenge in about 4-5 hours of straight matches, that means it would take me quite a bit longer than that.

I think the crossbow would have made a great secondary.

splattered

Is something up with this stupid crossbow challenge?

Started using the Marksman rifles for this and it's actually a hell of a lot of fun... very easy kills.

I had about 8 matches done and then next thing I know I check again and it's back to zero???

What happened?! Do I have to do 25 matches all in a row???

I don't think that's it though because when I go back and check after a match now it still sits at 0

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
splattered splattered I think its a bug maybe? My friend and I got it, we had to use a Reflex sight as stated. Its a fun weapon, and changes the flow and playstyle of matches which can be a nice change of pace. On the chaotic Shipyard map my friend got like 20+ kills with it lol.

3n9std.jpg

OK, so I had my time with the crossbow challenge this weekend and I must say, it is a change of pace. I did not think I would rack up as many kills as I did on a regular match with a marksman rifle. You just have to adjust your play style a tad. I really dig the lever action marksman rifle. It has taken some time but I'm at 20/25 matches for the challenge. It still sucks for the crossbow to be behind such a steep wall. Watch me end up liking the marksman rifle I'm using a lot more than the crossbow.

Is something up with this stupid crossbow challenge?

Started using the Marksman rifles for this and it's actually a hell of a lot of fun... very easy kills.

I had about 8 matches done and then next thing I know I check again and it's back to zero???

What happened?! Do I have to do 25 matches all in a row???

I don't think that's it though because when I go back and check after a match now it still sits at 0
Did you put a reflex scope on it? Same thing happened to me. Had a ton of matches with the MR and then realized it had to have a reflex scope.

Last edited:

Caffeine

I would like to play again but the universe clearly doesnt want me to, first i downloaded that painful 48GB patch, only to find out my profile was corrupted for 36 hours, then my game crashed loading like 5 of the maps everytime, and then my motherboard in my pc died lol.

Kagey K

Banned
I hope they do some more battlepass double xp before this ends. I fell off for a bit playing other games and now I’m way behind on it.

Mista

Banned
Ever since I finished the BP I haven't played a single game and went back to Apex

How's the current state of the game?

GreatnessRD

What's good with the Battle Royal mode? I need them to announce what they're doing there. If they aren't bringing it, say so as I'll be able to delete this 200gig game off the HDD. They haven't added anything to inspire a come back at this point. Was hoping the BR would be the redeeming quality.

splattered

Did you put a reflex scope on it? Same thing happened to me. Had a ton of matches with the MR and then realized it had to have a reflex scope.

Yeah reflex scope was working for several matches and then all of a sudden my progress disappeared. I tried a couple more matches and nothing. Tried switching to a different reflex and still nothing. Still not working.

Finally did it, my go-to load out in most CODs now both in GOLD. The launcher was a bitch for defender and attacker skins but that's because everyone suggested HQ. I found out it was way easier to get these kills on Hardpoint. Ready for season 2 \m/

0EPWHCk.jpg

yXmzvmA.jpg

manfestival

I have a few questions about CDL for anyone that knows.
Are weapons limited by ruleset? I see everyone running mp5s and m4s. Why is this only on youtube? Is there some exclusive agreement? Why are they only playing on PS4s? Are the only signed "pros" only allowed to be ps4 or something? Also where can I see their gun attachments? I can tell just about everything else that I need to from the streams. Oh and where are their "home" venues located? I am mostly curious about Florida.

Robhimself

I have a few questions about CDL for anyone that knows.
Are weapons limited by ruleset? I see everyone running mp5s and m4s. Why is this only on youtube? Is there some exclusive agreement? Why are they only playing on PS4s? Are the only signed "pros" only allowed to be ps4 or something? Also where can I see their gun attachments? I can tell just about everything else that I need to from the streams. Oh and where are their "home" venues located? I am mostly curious about Florida.
WTF you been smokin'

Bryank75

Banned
Do I pick up MW? Am thinking of getting the PS4 Pro bundle as the Slim is gonna run like ass I bet with some games, I am getting a PS5 on launch either way so money doesn't matter just enjoyment.
Pro is the way to go but I still get rendering issues at long ranges... framerate is supposed to be way better though!

DonJorginho

Banned
Pro is the way to go but I still get rendering issues at long ranges... framerate is supposed to be way better though!

That is more than enough for me to want to the Pro, am mainly getting the Pro as I can see Cyberpunk and GOT running like shit on the Slim.

Is MW good then multiplayer wise would you say man?

Bryank75

Banned
That is more than enough for me to want to the Pro, am mainly getting the Pro as I can see Cyberpunk and GOT running like shit on the Slim.

I like the Ground war modes, as I like to change up between sniping, using the tank and then some run and gunning.

The classic modes are typical COD, I find the spawn swaps and spawns can quickly annoy me.

The way they are doing seasons is fun, the cost 10 dollars/euro per season but give you a lot to unlock, new characters, maps, weapons and other things for free too...

Disappointed that we're only getting one map from Modern Warfare 2, and it's Rust which is going to be a shit fest with this games terrible spawns on small maps. I was expecting three like the first season.

Last edited:
Disappointed that we're only getting one map from Modern Warfare 2, and it's Rust which is going to be a shit fest with this games terrible spawns on small maps. I was expecting three like the first season.

I get that theres plenty of legacy maps from the past but I would prefer they concentrate and create new maps. I dont wanna keep going back to the past, wanna see something new too. Anyway Im surprised Battle Royale wasn't announced for this season. Who knows, maybe they wont even do it, just seems so long in the games sycle that they would introduce it in maybe Season 3.

Justin9mm

Do I pick up MW? Am thinking of getting the PS4 Pro bundle as the Slim is gonna run like ass I bet with some games, I am getting a PS5 on launch either way so money doesn't matter just enjoyment.
I have a Pro and an X and have MW on both. The game even looks like ass on Pro. I've always been a Sony boy but comparing the two versions. Pro even looks and sounds crap compared to X version. Very noticeable difference.

Justin9mm

If you've ever liked Modern Warfare, you going to love this.. It really is awesome.. once you start levelling up on your weapons and get a little used to the maps, it's crazy good!

Justin9mm

I get that theres plenty of legacy maps from the past but I would prefer they concentrate and create new maps. I dont wanna keep going back to the past, wanna see something new too. Anyway Im surprised Battle Royale wasn't announced for this season. Who knows, maybe they wont even do it, just seems so long in the games sycle that they would introduce it in maybe Season 3.
BR may still come in Season 2, in that above advertisement screenshot it says more multiplayer modes are coming in season. They could be polishing it still, plus I don't think they want to throw all their eggs in one basket, I think they want to show off some other stuff they have first without everyone just ignoring everything else and jumping into BR or being overwhelmed with dropping everything in one hit.

If BR hits, it's going to be immensely popular so i think its more of a case of one thing at a time.

Top Bottom