• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger |OT| It's your huckleberry

https://www.youtube.com/user/RocketChainsawAU

We've only done a handful of video reviews, and with the exception of two they're all done by me. And those two exceptions are duo reviews, where I'm still involved. We've got no console capture tools (we should, but we're lazy), so we can only video review PC stuff, and I'm more or less the only major PC gamer on the staff.

Our Crysis 3 review is almost 26 minutes, which is way too excessive. The shorter snappier ones always seem to get more views.

What video editing software do you guys use for video reviews?

Looking to get into it seeing as you can reach a much wider audience than with just text alone, and I have a capture device but that's about it.

I've heard so many good things about the shooting in this game that I might have to debate a purchase eventually - love me some wild west.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure TotalBiscuit will now that the patch has been released. I've seen him tweet about the game, he's certainly aware of it (and the issues prior to said patch).

I get the feeling Joe would love this game, as well. Well, I mean, is there really anyone that doesn't love it? The response to this game has been almost universally positive.

Playing this and Blood Dragon has been an absolute delight for me this weekend. Really lean, well made and fun FPS which didn't outstay their welcome and which I could say I easily enjoyed as much as say Bioshock Infinite or Metro Last Light. Both pretty unique as well! One being a lovable tribute/homage to cheesy 80s action/scifi films and another to the good ol wild west. I could easily take more of these :p The gunplay in Gunslinger was a really nice step up from Bound In Blood and that had pretty good shooting.

antitrop

Getting three stars in Arcade mode is no bullshit. After 10 hours with the game I definitely consider myself "skilled" at it, yet the first two levels are the only I can do it on so far.

I'm still on the single player campaign. I have no idea how far I am from the end. I was just charging up a hill after a sniper when I had to quit :)

Just finished the story today. Got to say I enjoyed this even more than Blood Dragon. Blood Dragon may have some good gags, but this game is more enjoyable as a whole. Loved the shooting, the setting, and the storytelling. Got to try those arcade modes and some duels later. Love the nukkets of truth.

Bout the end...
Loved the Mexican standoff and how they managed to make it tense and random. Had a feeling they might do it when I saw the graveyard arena. Also as far as twist tie-ins to history go an influence on Dwight D Eisenhower is unexpected.

By the way I think Executioner (Hold Q to simply kill everything instead of Focus) paired with double combos in Focus and Focus refresh when a combo is six is attained breaks the game. Use a gun with a large clip and long range like double Rangers or the Rifle and you can Focus forever with a huge payoff.

megalowho

Just want to chime in and say this game is great, I love its approach to Western mythology and the shogun is one of the most satisfying shotguns in recent memory. Well paced, well written, a very nice surprise all around.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm playing hard mode now and it's hard. >_> I tried rifle for normal mode, and I'm trying to use more shotguns now which doesn't help a lot since it's difficult to get close enough to use them.

Is there any trick for the duels, using mouse, to keep the concentration cursor on the enemy? I kept picking up the mouse and moving it like I would to rapidly move, but I feel like the more effective method may be to slide it once, and then let the mouse sit still. Otherwise, sometimes the concentration cursor barely moves.

MYeager

Bought it, digging it, and I really hope we see more of these shorter, well produced series spin offs that are $15. Both this and Blood Dragon feel like a great value for what is offered.

I'm playing hard mode now and it's hard. >_> I tried rifle for normal mode, and I'm trying to use more shotguns now which doesn't help a lot since it's difficult to get close enough to use them.

Is there any trick for the duels, using mouse, to keep the concentration cursor on the enemy? I kept picking up the mouse and moving it like I would to rapidly move, but I feel like the more effective method may be to slide it once, and then let the mouse sit still. Otherwise, sometimes the concentration cursor barely moves.

I had to turn the mouse sensitivity up for duels. Its a separate option in the menu and it helps a lot.

Blizzard

Banned
I had to turn the mouse sensitivity up for duels. Its a separate option in the menu and it helps a lot.
I did that, which helps with moving the red cursor, but not the concentration cursor. I think I figured it out and you can't keep moving the mouse like you were trying to move a tank turret with a mouse though. You just slide it once and then the concentration cursor will slide in that direction.

Normally the red cursor works okay, but for the guy with the card in his hat and crossed arms, I kept having the red crosshair start REALLY large on hard difficulty. I don't know if it was coincidence or I was just really slow.

Addnan

As per request!

Didn't go into this game expecting too much, saw a few posts on here and it looked interesting and got it thanks to Blizzard :). Was I surprised by how the game has so far turned out. I am about 70 minutes into the game and well haven't given up on it yet and seeing as how recently most games I give up after 30 minutes it's saying quite a lot that I want to continue playing and will do so once I post this :p.

Gameplay
The narrator so far has been quite funny, I am enjoying him telling the story of what is happening on screen, reminds me of Bastion! He is not just narrating the story, but rather telling it to someone and so there is some funny banter between them as he tries to make himself look as good as possible. The guy runs his mouth a lot and I have actually laughed out loud, don't do that often. Heh. The world sometimes changing due to the narrator adding more to the story is a very nice touch.

The actual gun mechanics are quite good too, feels more like a real gun an not plasticky like Borderlands. A lot of the fights against the bad guys are set in open fields which give you different flanking options. Although I am playing on Normal and am kinda just plowing my way through!

The duel thing is a little hard, I manage to line it all up really well, get the speed up, but then I start shooting as soon as I shoot draw and shoot into the ground and it wastes time. Don't do that!

Visuals
Cell-shaded seems to work with a western, I don't know why, but most other games that use cell-shaded I didn't really like, but it seem to look good here. I don't like this weird border thing though.

These screenshots don't do the game justice. It's just this level I am on, Steam thread has some nice ones.

1szb97.png

Blizzard, thanks for the game. It's not much of a write up, but the most i usually write about games are that it sucks or its good :p.

Oh yeah and about people being scared of the black borders, just go to options and max out the "adjust your screen width" setting.

That will remove vertical black bars and just leave hints at the top and bottom. Perfect! :D

derFeef

Listening to the first two games soundtrack. Pretty awesome too. The composer for both is Pawel Blaszczack so its safe to assume he did the OST for this as well.

Bedlam

They need to release the OST for this game as well. So great. Sometimes I just sit there during loading screens or pause the game so I can listen to the music for a while.

The narrative style is also a huge success. It's immensely entertaining to listen to these conversations while you roam through the level (the excellent VO quality certainly helps) and quite frankly, the narration immerses me more in the game than Bioshock Infinite ever could (still great). It makes the usual cutscene/level/cutscene/level...-progression seem outdated.

Fantastic return to form for the franchise and Techland.

Finally got to beat it today..Bravo. This motherfucking game has one of the most satisfying last chapters ever.
And the best twist I've seen in a long time, and done correctly
Bravo to TechLand for doing an amazing game all around. Time to get some rest and hit it again this week for Arcade mode.

Oh yeah and about people being scared of the black borders, just go to options and max out the "adjust your screen width" setting.

That will remove vertical black bars and just leave hints at the top and bottom. Perfect! :D

I don't think that setting exists? I don't see it...

Rlan

Anyone who's got the XBLA version -- could you check the leaderboards for me? The demo locks you out of checking them. Does it have a total players for the game, or for the first level?

PaulloDEC

Just finished it
fucking amazing game, certainly the most enjoyable game this year along with blood dragon.

What this guy said. Definitely one of my top five for 2013, and 2013 has been a hell of a strong year for me so far.

I really hope it makes a tidy profit for Techland. They basically nailed the Western FPS formula here, and I'd hate for them to not be very aware of their success.

Andrew.

Banned
Just scored "Trick Shot". Much easier than I anticipated. What's everyone's highest combo? The first time you mound a Gatling I got up to 55. With regular guns the highest has been around 26 or 27 and this has been without touching Arcade yet. Still maxing out all skills!

Edit: nevermind. Just scored a 33 in chapter 2 with dual sawn off shottys

ArjanN

Just scored "Trick Shot". Much easier than I anticipated. What's everyone's highest combo? The first time you mound a Gatling I got up to 55. With regular guns the highest has been around 26 or 27 and this has been without touching Arcade yet. Still maxing out all skills!

Edit: nevermind. Just scored a 33 in chapter 2 with dual sawn off shottys

Once you get good enough you can beat the arcade mode levels in one long combo. :p

(and you pretty much have to, to get 3 stars)

sikkinixx

Greenman sells it for $11, which had me ready to buy. But it says "not available in you region." Thought this was out in NA? Or is it just GMG licensing stuff?

Andrew.

Banned
After some mental and hand eye coordination adjustment, Bound In Blood is quite fucking good so far. Not too fond of that auto sticky aim (even when disabled, a slight lesser variation still exists so there's no true free aiming) and its what's taking the longest adjustment. Well that and the fact that running feels like you have a load of shit and rocks in your pants.

That soundtrack though..

The water also looks really good and Thomas is clearly Christian Bale.

After some mental and hand eye coordination adjustment, Bound In Blood is quite fucking good so far. Not too fond of that auto sticky aim (even when disabled, a slight lesser variation still exists so there's no true free aiming) and its what's taking the longest adjustment. Well that and the fact that running feels like you have a load of shit and rocks in your pants.

That soundtrack though..

The water also looks really good and Thomas is clearly Christian Bale.

BiB was such a step up from the original game. They truly seem to have improved with each WESTERN game. I have a theory that Cartel was another team or vision not quite by the guys behind the Western games. Just a hunch.

antitrop

47 for 3 stars in the first Arcade level using Rifle/Six-shooter (Cold-blooded Ranger setup).

55 for 3 stars in the second Arcade level using CBR.

I'm not sure if I missed any guys, but I think that is the number of enemies in the stage. I don't remember my combo lapsing, but I suppose it could have without my noticing.

The third level it actually starts to get nearly impossible to keep 1 combo going the entire run. I'll get it eventually. I'm completely addicted to high-scoring the Arcade mode now. Tony Hawk style.

Blizzard

Banned
They need to release the OST for this game as well. So great. Sometimes I just sit there during loading screens or pause the game so I can listen to the music for a while.

The narrative style is also a huge success. It's immensely entertaining to listen to these conversations while you roam through the level (the excellent VO quality certainly helps) and quite frankly, the narration immerses me more in the game than Bioshock Infinite ever could (still great). It makes the usual cutscene/level/cutscene/level...-progression seem outdated.

Fantastic return to form for the franchise and Techland.
I'd like to be able to get a soundtrack for sure. The Dances with Renegades loading music, the music for the high noon bank area, and the music for one of the areas chasing in the swamp are probably my favorites that I can think of.

Lima

The third level it actually starts to get nearly impossible to keep 1 combo going the entire run. I'll get it eventually. I'm completely addicted to high-scoring the Arcade mode now. Tony Hawk style.

Nah I good all levels done in one combo with 3 stars. I'm in Top 10 on almost all levels on 360. Just use the Gunslinger fully leveled up and rack shit. You need the Ranger with the rifle for the last level though.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
BiB was such a step up from the original game. They truly seem to have improved with each WESTERN game. I have a theory that Cartel was another team or vision not quite by the guys behind the Western games. Just a hunch.

That's true. One of their other teams made The Cartel whilst the team for BiB made Dead Island at the time. I really don't know how many teams Techland have though, they seem to constantly churn stuff out at a grand ol pace. I really like them though, they seem to be a developer whose ambitions outdo their budget but I always find their games enjoyable and they always get the core combat in their games nailed down pretty well. It's just other things that can be a bit shonky in presentation but they're getting better at it.

oh yeah, that's an awesome track :D

There's a version of it in Arcade mode in Gunslinger :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Man, doing all those duels back to back is enough to give you a heart attack. I got to duel
12 of 15
(spoiling in case anyone doesn't want to know totals) before I got all 5 lives taken. Great mechanics, I didn't think I was going to love it at first but it really grew on me as the game went on.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I might be tempted to replay BiB. I wonder if the multiplayer is still going as well, I loved it on 360 and played it to death but never had the PC version at the time. Trolling people as the Hombre was so much fun.

Top Bottom