• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger |OT| It's your huckleberry

Carm

As a non PC gamer can someone tell me what FOV is? Im guessing field of view but can someone clarify and explain whats so initially bad about it in this?

Just trying to gain a better understanding of whats discussed round these parts. Anti aliasing, V-sync, all that shit.

And holy fucking crap at this Chapter 6 music.

I think it is field of view and I'd like to know this, too. I never know what to set it at. If I have the option I usually set it from 90 to 100. My monitor is 16:10, 1440x900. Games never looks weird so I guess I'm doing it right.

Watch these.

Part 1

Part 2

Blizzard

Banned
I just finished the game on easy. Steam says 6.7 hours playtime, though it was probably closer to 5-6 since I spent time reading secrets, paused, looking at options, alt-tabbed, and so forth.

It sure got a bit weird and dark towards the end, and actually briefly quite creepy.

It may have been the first game I've actually finished this year. I'm glad I picked it up, and I'll probably at least go through one more time on hard to get the rest of the nuggets. True west does sound interesting with HUD stuff off.

O.DOGG

I like how the loading screens tips change over the different playthroughs. Or maybe I just missed them the first time around. Some of those remind me of Spec Ops' loading screens.

Holy shit. Using DPX on SweetFX works well for this game. It gives it that "Uncharted" look in stages it needs it. Easier to spot the NPC's as well. I had to mess with the RGB's to hit that sweet spot. Still messing with it. Here's one example.

iQK5FXfmt4dvl.bmp

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Holy shit. Using DPX on SweetFX works well for this game. It gives it that "Uncharted" look in stages it needs it. Easier to spot the NPC's as well. I had to mess with the RGB's to hit that sweet spot. Still messing with it. Here's one example.

That looks amazing. I'm new to SweetFX - how are you enabling DPX?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Loving this game. I am a huge fan of the CoJ series (never played the modern game though).

This is fantastic. Love the arcade shooter style. I need to install sweetfx and start playing with the settings.

That looks amazing. I'm new to SweetFX - how are you enabling DPX?

Is on the GameFX section. Turn it on. And then, go to the settings section. Is fine by default, but I had to mess with it because it was clashing with the other settings in terms of color. I love how the blacks look now.

Giant Bomb Quick Look

Patrick and Jeff spin a yarn of Techland. The good, the bad, the "hey, this is actually pretty fun!"

People watch GB quick looks even if they have no interest in the game in question, so this will hopefully help spread the word about the quality of this game.

PaulloDEC

Just finished the
Grey Wolf
chapter, and even on the 360 controller (which I'd never usually use for an FPS) I'm having a great time. The arcadey action is obviously the star of the show, but I'm really digging the story too. The voiceover/unreliable narrator thing really works well.

Between this and "Farcry: Blood Dragon" I'm feeling really positive about the $15 downloadable scene right now. If this is the direction the industry is heading in, sign me the hell up.

Raptor

Played the demo and I thought the gunplay was amazing, but it's me or the enemies sort of blended with the enviroment?

Had a hard time seeing them most of the time, maybe it was the level.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm on the final chapter. When Silas starts
singing after the seemingly infinite number of enemies in the woods
is one of the best moments in gaming for me this gen. Wow.

Bound in Blood is sitting in front of me. Gonna fire that sumbitch up as soon as I'm done with this here bad larry.

Zemm

The shooting in this games feels sooooo good. Shame about the stuttering, would be perfect if it was gone entirely (the keyboard settings posted earlier really don't help at all), 360 controller it has to be for now.

eshwaaz

I really hope this ends up being a big hit - Techland has made such an incredibly entertaining experience here.

I started a New Game Plus immediately after beating it the first time, and now I'm on a third play-through. The gunplay continues to be super-satisfying after over 10 hours.

The hit and death animations are excellent, the ragdoll feels heavy and weighty, and dust gets kicked up when bodies impact the ground, accompanied by a wonderfully exaggerated, meaty "thud" sound that makes enemies feel like they're 300 pounds of dead weight. All of the weapons feel and sound great; all are fun to use in different situations. The shotgun is the best since the original F.E.A.R.

The environments are surprisingly varied, and are supported by great design and layout - the levels just flow really well. Tons of fun encounters in interesting settings.

So much attention to detail; so many little extra touches: massive flocks of birds in the sky, idle weapon animations and cool "stylish" animations after final kills (twirling the revolvers, flipping the rifle forward, checking the shells in the shotgun), swarms of insects buzzing around swampy areas and dead bodies.

Load times are really short, so dying doesn't feel like punishment (on 360). Narrative dialog doesn't repeat when you die and have to replay a section - so many games should learn from this. You can choose between left trigger aiming down sights while dual wielding, or have each trigger fire each gun independently. Player-friendly touches like this are common.

The narrative hook works well, with lots of clever and humorous moments. The "tall tale" angle is perfect for the setting, and the growing skepticism of the listeners is played to great effect.

I know I'm really gushing here, but this is genuinely one of my favorite FPSs of the generation. I'd still be completely satisfied if I'd have paid a full $60 for this. Even if you don't like westerns, give this a shot if you are craving a FPS that is just plain fun as hell.

I would have gone as high as $30, but not sure I'd pay full price. I can see where the low budget comes from. It is, however, very entertaining and easily worth the asking price.

I'm surprised more people aren't getting into it. I guess maybe because the last Juarez game bombed so hard, people still have a bad taste in their mouths.

O.DOGG

I really hope this ends up being a big hit - Techland has made such an incredibly entertaining experience here.

I started a New Game Plus immediately after beating it the first time, and now I'm on a third play-through. The gunplay continues to be super-satisfying after over 10 hours.

The hit and death animations are excellent, the ragdoll feels heavy and weighty, and dust gets kicked up when bodies impact the ground, accompanied by a wonderfully exaggerated, meaty "thud" sound that makes enemies feel like they're 300 pounds of dead weight. All of the weapons feel and sound great; all are fun to use in different situations. The shotgun is the best since the original F.E.A.R.

The environments are surprisingly varied, and are supported by great design and layout - the levels just flow really well. Tons of fun encounters in interesting settings.

So much attention to detail; so many little extra touches: massive flocks of birds in the sky, idle weapon animations and cool "stylish" animations after final kills (twirling the revolvers, flipping the rifle forward, checking the shells in the shotgun), swarms of insects buzzing around swampy areas and dead bodies.

Load times are really short, so dying doesn't feel like punishment (on 360). Dialog doesn't repeat when you die and have to repeat a section - so many games should learn from this. You can choose between left trigger aiming down sights while dual weilding, or have each trigger fire each gun independently. Player-friendly touches like this are common.

The narrative hook works well, with lots of clever and humorous moments. The "tall tale" angle is perfect for the setting, and the growing skepticism of the listeners is played to great effect.

I know I'm really gushing here, but this is genuinely one of my favorite FPSs of the generation. I'd still be completely satisfied if I'd have paid a full $60 for this. Even if you don't like westerns, give this a shot if you are craving a FPS that is just plain fun as hell.

I feel exactly the same way, only I couldn't have said it as well :)

I'm almost done with my second playthrough and I intend to start a third one and possibly a fourth one immediately afterwards (I want to beat the game twice on hard with all the skills unlocked, and then start a True West run. I feel it'll be a different experience altogether due to all the aiming, and I want to have a little more fun before I attempt the game with a more deliberate, slower pace.

derFeef

SweetFX/DPX does indeed look gud :)

8828424422_bf30ec8921_b.jpg

8828359862_0486e6be8a_b.jpg

Also that shotgun is badass, seeing enemies fly backwards in slowmo when they get hit, hnng.

Andrew.

Banned
Just finished. Amazing ride. Ranks up there with Infinite, DmC, Blood Dragon and Tomb Raider as one of the best I've experienced this year and very easily the best Western since Redemption.

And now for Bound In Blood...

derFeef

Just finished. Amazing ride. Ranks up there with Infinite, DmC, Blood Dragon and Tomb Raider as one of the best I've experienced this year and very easily the best Western since Redemption.

And now for Bound In Blood...

BiB is one of my all time favourite games, I think you will like it :)

Just downloaded a patch, no patch notes though.

*EDIT* Here they are

Call of Juarez Gunslinger Update 1.01
Changes:
- hit indicator is now disabled in True West difficulty mode
- new option to disable crosshair regardless of the difficulty mode
- new option to adjust mouse sensitivity on duels
- new settings available in video ini file - this is interesting
- additional checks before posting scores to the leaderboards
- additional credits

Fixes:
- fixed problems with audio on 7.1 output configurations
- fixed crashes related to using 7.1 audio configurations
- fixed potential crash when using long Steam nicknames with non-latin characters
- leaderboards now correctly display nicks with non-latin characters
- patched up heavy stuttering when using certain keyboard and mouse models
- workaround for blocks when booting the game on systems that have problems with video playback
- tweaked enemy behavior on duels to avoid duels with no conclusion
- fixed HUD gadget in Arcade mode sometimes not displaying "versus" friend's name
- fixed navigation and centering in My Score and Friends leaderboards
- tweaks and fixes in the Japanese localization

http://steamcommunity.com/app/204450/discussions/0/810925579952377651/

Stitch

Gold Member
texteditor like notepad or wordpad

stuttering is still slightly there but it's much better now.

ShadowMapSize(4096)
SpotShadowMapSize(4096)

should give us better shadows and FSAA(2 or higher) should enable some Anti-Aliasing.

burgerdog

Disabling the border leaves me with letterbox widescreen borders. Wat. So in reality it only removes the left/right border. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

test_account

XP-39C²
I beat this game last night. I really enjoyed the game. Great atmosphere and i enjoyed the story. I also liked the cards you pick up, to read the info on them. The price of the game is pretty good too i think (it also have discount with PS+).

TimmiT

Just got the game on PC, anyone else get stuck on the loading screen when the first level loads? It seems to be loading forever for me.

EDIT: It does load eventually, but it takes a couple of minutes.

Something is up with this game, I'm on the sawmill level and I can't pick up ammo and my health does not regenerate he just does the heavy breathing shite. Pretty annoying, I can't move forward.

I love this game.
Dat soundtrack.
What I most like it is the Nuckets of Truth.
Don't know the source, but those storys are awesome if real.
Like Billy the Kid only killing 9 instead of 21 and being very kind.

PaulloDEC

Ah, nice.

DisableScreenBorder()
ForcedHorzFov(85)

Works fine, although there is still no real 16:10 resolution, sadly.

Cheers for those config lines, they work great. Lack of 16:10 resolution is a minor disappointment, but the custom FOV and lack of microstuttering go a long way in making up for it.

Respect to Techland for getting on top of these things so quickly.

Blizzard

Banned
Nice patch.

For people who weren't aware, I think developer support was actually pretty decent for Bound in Blood. They even had their own site for people to make and upload custom maps (both singleplayer and multiplayer), I think there may have been tutorials, there was of course the editor and so forth.

The credits were really long too. So many people involved, hopefully they make their money back.

Oh and about the narration not repeating when you retry a section, YES that is good. And I think in one place, after I failed like 5 times in a row since it was getting a bit tough near the end of the game, the narration DID repeat in case you forgot the immediately preceding lines. I don't know if it started repeating again after that, or just repeated once. I didn't like the last levels as much as the early ones, unless I'm missing some technique that makes them easier.

On a new game+ it asks you if you want to skip tutorial this time around. Another touch I liked was if you go to skip a cutscene/narration on a replay, it says hold space to skip, and it even shows a visual indicator bar for a second to show that you are about to skip it in case you just accidentally pressed the button. Great touch.

derFeef

Aw man akimbo style shooting is good (i empty one gun, then the other one) but you lose that aim if you don't have crosshair enabled, argh.

comrade

Something is up with this game, I'm on the sawmill level and I can't pick up ammo and my health does not regenerate he just does the heavy breathing shite. Pretty annoying, I can't move forward.

Did you do the FOV fix? When I tried to change my FOV it no longer let me regen health or pick-up ammo. Had to re-install.

SweetFX/DPX does indeed look gud :)

8828424422_bf30ec8921_b.jpg

8828359862_0486e6be8a_b.jpg

Also that shotgun is badass, seeing enemies fly backwards in slowmo when they get hit, hnng.

Nice! Can't wait to replay the game again and see some earlier stages. DPX fits this game very well because that "Cartoon" look is going for. Just tone the reds down to 0.6 to calm down blooming on the skin. The color gamma is something I went back and forth with. 2.5 is solid. Because it works well on all stages so far, even the night one I'm in so far. Can't wait to try this settings on DmC as well. I stated messing with DPX because I saw the Technicolor option, love it for its old school feel with CRT, but it wasn't a fit for this game, due to the art direction, saw DPX, and BOOM, heaven.

Andrew.

Banned
Bound In Blood is way too sluggish for the moment.

NG+ on this, however, is awesome. Now I get the two hour comment. Im flying and racking combos like crazy.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Game's pretty damn fucking great. It's a lot more polished compared to Techlands other games and I say this as someone who really enjoys most of their stuff! Awesome last part as well. I'd like to see them make another retail/bigger Juarez game with the awesome multiplayer of Bound In Blood but if this ends up being the way to go for them with future releases I'm ok with that as well. As long as we get more western games!

Also, the shotguns. Oh my. Great combat, very satisfying.

antitrop

Played the demo and I thought the gunplay was amazing, but it's me or the enemies sort of blended with the enviroment?

This was an issue for me and I was playing on a nice, crisp downsampled resolution on PC, can't even imagine on consoles at 720p.

I almost felt like that was intentional though, like you were supposed to tap the concentration button to briefly see the enemies in red even if you did not have a concentration meter charged up.
I can buy that.

Blizzard

Banned
The enemies sometimes blended especially towards the end for me. I almost felt like that was intentional though, like you were supposed to tap the concentration button to briefly see the enemies in red even if you did not have a concentration meter charged up.

antitrop

This game is going to get completely ignored in the media at the end of the year and everyone is only going to remember Blood Dragon, I can feel it.

Bound In Blood is way too sluggish for the moment.
I haven't played it in 4 years (well, 3 years, 11 months considering it came out June 2009), I'll admit my memory of the pacing might be a bit remiss. Especially right on the heels of Gunslinger it's compounded just that much more.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ohh shit. EatChildrens seal of approval? Gonna need to hear more of your thoughts brah.

Wut? EatChildren posting something positive?
GOTY

Hey! I'm plenty positive!

What I like abound Gunslinger is that it's fast, dirty, visceral (buzzwords!) shooting at its best. It's the best parts of Call of Jaurez and Bound in Blood and what Techland is most proficient at - the simple act of pointing at a target and turning them into red mist. I've always believed that when making a first person shooter (as dumb as it sounds) the most important part is getting the art of shooting to feel good. It's why old games with solid shooting, single or multiplayer, are able to stand the test of time. It's like a platformer. If the jumping, weight, movement, and collision detection is good, and the levels smartly designed, the platformer is generally very fun. Same goes for shooters. Get the shooting right and you've won 70% of the battle.

Gunslinger gets the shooting right. It's very fast, and very satisfying. It's simple, but distilled in its simplicity where the focus is purely on shooting. Like an awesome Western, bullets flying every which way.

And the narrative of "I'm telling a story in a bar", with the rewards, commentary, and so on, is a really smart minimalist way of presenting a story that isn't intrusive to the act of play. You can get right down to the action and blow shit up without sitting through three hours of pre-mission cutscenes.

Hey! I'm plenty positive!

What I like abound Bound in Blood is that it's fast, dirty, visceral (buzzwords!) shooting at its best. It's the best parts of Call of Jaurez and Bound in Blood and what Techland is most proficient at - the simple act of pointing at a target and turning them into red mist. I've always believed that when making a first person shooter (as dumb as it sounds) the most important part is getting the art of shooting to feel good. It's why old games with solid shooting, single or multiplayer, are able to stand the test of time. It's like a platformer. If the jumping, weight, movement, and collision detection is good, and the levels smartly designed, the platformer is generally very fun. Same goes for shooters. Get the shooting right and you've won 70% of the battle.

Man, I really feel like we played different versions of BiB.

I don't think it aged very well TBH.

And the narrative of "I'm telling a story in a bar", with the rewards, commentary, and so on, is a really smart minimalist way of presenting a story that isn't intrusive to the act of play. You can get right down to the action and blow shit up without sitting through three hours of pre-mission cutscenes.

THIS, all of it. This industry needs to pick this style of narrative up. Is actually way more "Cinematic" this way. Then having a Cut-scene every three steps or so. My top 5 for this year for me.

Top Bottom