• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger |OT| It's your huckleberry

Blizzard

Banned
I wish there was a PC demo. I don't know if my old PC is capable of running it smoothly. I have a 9800GTX+ and a Q6600, and I play at 1440x900.

edit: I open Steam and, holy shit, suddenly there is! Downloading now~
Let us know how it runs on that system. You should have a decent chance. I have a 5850 and an e8400, and though it may not be the best looking game ever, it does seem to run great for how good it looks. I imagine that the shaded style may have helped their performance out by not requiring high polycounts or something (plus I wasn't running any anti-aliasing).

Andrew.

Banned
God damn Bound in Blood is good. I'm gonna wait til I play it for both sides of the story, but it's doing some things right now better than or on par with Redemption in my opinion.
Ive been getting a Western rush during the early to mid Summers for the past few years. Between Gunslinger and this on top of rewatching The Wild Bunch, Butch Cassidy, Tombstone and the Dollar Trilogy recently, I've hit every feverish seasonal bingy pleasure nail on the head at this point.

Wheres that RTTP ShinobiFist?

robot

Just played the demo. The gunplay is really good. Just shooting with your guns feels great. Nice feedback. And the way the story is told seems very interesting to follow. Intrigued.

I was about to post the same thing, lol. I might just grab this thanks to the cheap points fiasco.

God damn Bound in Blood is good. I'm gonna wait til I play it for both sides of the story, but it's doing some things right now better than or on par with Redemption in my opinion.
Ive been getting a Western rush during the early to mid Summers for the past few years. Between Gunslinger and this on top of rewatching The Wild Bunch, Butch Cassidy, Tombstone and the Dollar Trilogy recently, I've hit every feverish seasonal bingy pleasure nail on the head at this point.

Wheres that RTTP ShinobiFist?

About to do it NOW! Its LIVE!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570057

Noice.

friday

I love the combo of double barrel shotgun and duel pistols. It's some straight up action movie shit when you bust into a room and fire off two shotgun rounds and then break out the pistols to clean up whoever is left. I am gonna have to pick up bound in blood after this. I also still need to play blood dragon. God I love all these cheap FPS games that dont suck.

GWX

Let us know how it runs on that system. You should have a decent chance. I have a 5850 and an e8400, and though it may not be the best looking game ever, it does seem to run great for how good it looks. I imagine that the shaded style may have helped their performance out by not requiring high polycounts or something (plus I wasn't running any anti-aliasing).

I will soon enough. Still downloading - I hate my internet connection :(
I remember Bound in Blood looking rather nice and running very smoothly back in the day. I hope this runs just as well!

DukeBobby

Finally got around to finishing this. Loved every minute of it.

So far, it sits comfortably in my Top 5 of this year.

1. Metro: Last Light
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
4. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
5. Tomb Raider

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I love the combo of double barrel shotgun and duel pistols. It's some straight up action movie shit when you bust into a room and fire off two shotgun rounds and then break out the pistols to clean up whoever is left. I am gonna have to pick up bound in blood after this. I also still need to play blood dragon. God I love all these cheap FPS games that dont suck.

My favourite combo too. Kick open door, hit concentration, BOOM BOOM, swap, blast the rest into oblivion and fuck accuracy.

EDIT: Oh hey! My review got shared on the official Call of Juarez Facebook page, alongside RPS, Gamespot, and IGN. Yay!

callz3ufc.jpg

I think the narrative style could be a gameplay mechanic. For instance you're telling the story and have to keep your audience interested. During gameplay you have moments to tell the truth (which if you keep it too straight the audience will lose interest) or you can choose to embellish the story (which if it get's too far-fetched your audience won't believe you). So you have you play a good balance between truth and lies.

Just like Gunslinger's narrative is but more interactive. Solid game would like to see more.

Tizoc

Rather interested now in playing the previous CoJ games.
Seems BiB is available for PS3, so how is that game as far as shooters go?
The first game also seems to have stealth elements so I'll grab it if it's on sale on Steam.

O.DOGG

My favourite combo too. Kick open door, hit concentration, BOOM BOOM, swap, blast the rest into oblivion and fuck accuracy.

EDIT: Oh hey! My review got shared on the official Call of Juarez Facebook page, alongside RPS, Gamespot, and IGN. Yay!

callz3ufc.jpg

Congrats on the review.

On the combo, once you get that upgrade, you don't even need to reload the shotgun in concentration. Just kick the door in and fire your heart away one barrel at a time.

Shaneus

So Bound in Blood is actually good? I can't believe (actually... I can. Pretty easily, too) I have it in my Steam library as well.

Blizzard

Banned
Congrats on the review.

On the combo, once you get that upgrade, you don't even need to reload the shotgun in concentration. Just kick the door in and fire your heart away one barrel at a time.
I'm partway through a hard difficulty playthrough as my second run and I think I have all the closerange upgrades now. Unfortunately I have problems being able to use that shotgun no-reload skill often since I tend to use concentration mode to keep myself from dying (or to reload in order to avoid the combo counter expiring), instead of waiting until it's fully charged.

I should replay on normal since I suspect it may be much easier to keep combos going on that difficulty. :p On hard I keep being like oh no oh no, must rush to the next area or my comboooooo is gone. I know shooting barrels keeps it going, not sure if trees/cacti do too.

So Bound in Blood is actually good? I can't believe (actually... I can. Pretty easily, too) I have it in my Steam library as well.
I think it's at least supposed to be decent past the first couple of levels. I probably stopped playing about halfway through, but I do that with nearly all games, which is one of the reasons Gunslinger stood out to me in that I actually finished it.

I also liked the start of the original Call of Jaurez. I think that was the first DX10 game I ever tried, and I was blown away by the atmosphere in that little starting mountain and tree area. The quality varies a good bit on that one though. One of the high points is the Bible-quotin' button. Waiting on the Steam summer sale might be a good idea though, since I think the stealth section did get some criticism.

R0nn

Nice to see this game getting a nice reception. I really liked BiB, but The Cartel really tarnished the name of this IP.

Driw3r

Unconfirmed Member
Great game... I love the narration and atmosphere is amazing too. Boss fights remind each other but it's not a big deal. I really like the dueling. Price... well, it's so cheap that everybody's should buy it.

I've played trough all the Call of Juarez games and gotta say, this is my favourite game series ever. It's nice to see Gunslinger is succeeding.

This game is great.

Unlocking stuff is a little goofy in the arcade mode. Doesn't look like it'll take long to unlock everything, but it seems just completely unnecessary for a score attack mode.

I imagine the train level was a favorite for you

So Bound in Blood is actually good?

It's a good, very solid Western shooter - which we don't get nearly enough of. It's not amazing or mind-bending or anything like that. This is Techland after all. So keep the expectations a little in check.

If I remember correctly I think I had rented it and wasn't expecting much at all. So in turn I ended up loving it.

The highest compliment!

Well deserved! As long as you sported a similar smirk when recording.

Holy shit, *that* was the guy who used to host the Saturday night cult film of the week on SBS? I never knew his name, let alone knew he was one of the writers/actors for Hercules Returns. Owe my Jackie Chan fandom to that dude.

Most obscure Australian reference I've ever seen on these forums, and it's not even in an Australian-focused thread. Mind blowed.

Des was that cool geek-chic uncle figure we all shared in the 90s. Imagine how many young minds were blown and shaped after his wry, energised introductions...

Shaneus

It's a good, very solid Western shooter - which we don't get nearly enough of. It's not amazing or mind-bending or anything like that. This is Techland after all. So keep the expectations a little in check.

If I remember correctly I think I had rented it and wasn't expecting much at all. So in turn I ended up loving it.
Man honestly, these days I'm almost actively hunting out things that are just "good". Just games, not anything that has a message or has a unique mechanic or whatever. Not necessarily boring or by-the-numbers, but just does what it does well without shooting for the stars.

Glad both BiB and Gunslinger fit the bill :)

Des was that cool geek-chic uncle figure we all shared in the 90s. Imagine how many young minds were blown and shaped after his wry, energised introductions...
I can only assume that the entire Australian contingent of the NeoGAF populace are the very same people you speak of.

GWX

So, I played the demo twice: once with the low ("best performance", I believe) video setting enabled, at 1920x1080. The framerate fluctuated between 45 and 60 fps, which is good. Next, I played it with the medium video setting, at 1440x900: the framerate dropped to 30fps quite frequently, and it felt horrible to play. The low setting, however, looks good enough, so I'm happy! I'll buy this pretty soon, had tons of fun with this demo.

DukeBobby

Is there anybody who did not like the game? It is rare to see a game get such unanimous praise here on GAF.

It's not like I'm complaining or anything; I fucking loved it.

Is there anybody who did not like the game? It is rare to see a game get such unanimous praise here on GAF.

It's not like I'm complaining or anything; I fucking loved it.

I'm yet to properly start it!

But judging from my limited play with the arcade mode I doubt I'll dislike it.

I've been playing this since yesterday, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. The gun-play is very good and the narration is absolutely superb. A must play for anyone who enjoys the genre, especially at the price.

phierce

Well you do live in Colorado. Gold rush central.

And I live in Florida. Old person paradise.

Makes sense.
Bullshit!

I'm in Vegas and I have some YouTube and EPA phase 2 ads. Where the fuck are my ads with strippers and cocaine?

Edit: and now I have an ad for a heating system. Yeah, your theory is fucked for sure now.

Andrew.

Banned
GAF Gold, bro.

And Bound in Blood has been awesome so far. I suggest it to anyone still hankering for some Western flavor after 'Slinger.

Zemm

Completed the story mode, thought it was fantastic. The gunplay is great, the storytelling was great, the art style was great. Whilst playing and seeing some of the vistas it really made me want an open world fps in this style, please do it!

derFeef

GAF Gold, bro.

And Bound in Blood has been awesome so far. I suggest it to anyone still hankering for some Western flavor after 'Slinger.

Told you :) Have you played the first game? While it's not quite as good as BiB or Gunslinger, it's really interesting as well because of the different characters and playstyles they bring with them.

Andrew.

Banned
Told you :) Have you played the first game? While it's not quite as good as BiB or Gunslinger, it's really interesting as well because of the different characters and playstyles they bring with them.

Yup I played it three years ago or so. I liked it for what it set out to do and I remember it looking pretty sweet at some parts. For someone who never plays MP, I actually found that particular aspect of it kinda fun. Ive been thinking about picking it up again so I can own the trilogy but it's a tough find for a decent price.

Im having a lot more fun with BiB though (not as much as Slinger obviously) as Ive made some classic kills and sometimes the ragdoll physics of the enemies' deaths works beautifully.

antitrop

McElroy's Polygon review went up late, but his score is muy bueno.

http://www.polygon.com/game/call-of-juarez-gunslinger/10764
9/10

Other western games may better capture the grandeur of the American West, but pure, outlandish spaghetti western gunfights have never been more thrilling than they are in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Let's just hope this marks an exciting new direction for the franchise and not yet another outlier in its ever-more schizophrenic history.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I've been convinced to buy this. Now the question is if I want to use kb/m or controller. Is it good in comfy couch mode?

Shallwhat

Banned
I am loving this game. I have been waiting for another GOOD CoJ since BiB. BiB was great, and the graphics in the game were pretty sweet too from what I remember.

Blizzard

Banned
I've been convinced to buy this. Now the question is if I want to use kb/m or controller. Is it good in comfy couch mode?
Try both and see which you like better if you have that option. :p As far as I know both options work well though. I used mouse and keyboard with vsync and I don't even remember being bothered ingame by mouse lag. Sometimes I tend run D3DOverrider for triple buffering, but with this I didn't have to.

Mouse and keyboard probably get you faster aiming for headshots, but there's an autoaim (aim assist?) option for the controller which should make it pretty easy to use.

Andrew.

Banned
For 5 bucks, Bound in Blood is a steal. Snatch it up. It's been fantastic so far (albeit minor tech hitches) and the story has me by the balls. Jaw droppingly beautiful at times also. The dynamic aiming and gunplay system also gives it a very Starbreeze-y feel. Not a bad thing to me, personally.

I ended up switching to controller from mouse/keyboard. Both play fine I just found the duels a little easier with the controller as well as the occasional QuickTime events. I think they've since did a patch that made mouse responsiveness in the duels better but haven't checked.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I ended up switching to controller from mouse/keyboard. Both play fine I just found the duels a little easier with the controller as well as the occasional QuickTime events. I think they've since did a patch that made mouse responsiveness in the duels better but haven't checked.

Try both and see which you like better if you have that option. :p As far as I know both options work well though. I used mouse and keyboard with vsync and I don't even remember being bothered ingame by mouse lag. Sometimes I tend run D3DOverrider for triple buffering, but with this I didn't have to.

Mouse and keyboard probably get you faster aiming for headshots, but there's an autoaim (aim assist?) option for the controller which should make it pretty easy to use.

Nice! Thank you!

Keasar

I just completed 2 chapters during my lunch. My cheeks still hurt from me smiling constantly and giggling like an idiot.

IISANDERII

Are there any differences between the PS3 and 360 version?
I would prefer PS3 but I'll go 360 if that version is superior.

Top Bottom