• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger |OT| It's your huckleberry

antitrop

What are you guys doing for aa in this game? Smaa?

1440p downsampling and SMAA.

Also it is commendable how quickly Techland got out this patch. It's so much better now, the MASSIVE frame-stuttering is completely gone, the FoV is glorious, and you can duel with a mouse now!

Patch got me back into this game, I wasn't really going to play it more because of the technical issues.

I need to learn to keep my video reviews short and concise like this. My Last Light review borderlines on 10 minute :/.

My video reviews usually end up around to 6 to 8 minutes but don't fret. As long as I've been doing the YT thing. People either seem to like shorter or longer reviews. Personally, I could never do something like angry joe where I make reviews for 30 minutes. O_O. (can you shoot me your reviews url?)

Back on topic, the info you unlock in the game is pretty cool. I can vouch that from what I can tell that this info is pretty accurate. Having lived in Southern Arizona most my life, been to Tombstone many times, and read my fair share of western lore, it was pretty awesome to see them include all this in the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My video reviews usually end up around to 6 to 8 minutes but don't fret. As long as I've been doing the YT thing. People either seem to like shorter or longer reviews. Personally, I could never do something like angry joe where I make reviews for 30 minutes. O_O. (can you shoot me your reviews url?)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RocketChainsawAU

We've only done a handful of video reviews, and with the exception of two they're all done by me. And those two exceptions are duo reviews, where I'm still involved. We've got no console capture tools (we should, but we're lazy), so we can only video review PC stuff, and I'm more or less the only major PC gamer on the staff.

Our Crysis 3 review is almost 26 minutes, which is way too excessive. The shorter snappier ones always seem to get more views.

antitrop

Back on topic, the info you unlock in the game is pretty cool. I can vouch that from what I can tell that this info is pretty accurate. Having lived in Southern Arizona most my life, been to Tombstone many times, and read my fair share of western lore, it was pretty awesome to see them include all this in the game.

I love Wild West games, living in Colorado myself. I was just down in Cripple Creek (which was a ghost town before gambling was legalized there in 1991) playing some cards not too long ago. Many areas outside of Denver-metro or Colorado Springs are still very "old westy". I kind of enjoy that, a bit. Especially being from Jersey myself, it was a weird switch to go from that to this comparatively quiet state.

There's definitely a bit of the old West still left here, for sure. There's even a museum just down the street.

I love Wild West games, living in Colorado myself. I was just down in Cripple Creek playing some cards last weekend. Many areas outside of Denver-metro or Colorado Springs is still very "old westy" I kind of enjoy that, a bit. Especially being from Jersey myself, it was a weird switch to go from that to this comparatively quiet state.

There's definitely a bit of the old West still left here, for sure.

Awesome to hear. I've considered moving up in those parts for a change of scenery. Good to know I could still get some of that western vibes up there that I get in AZ.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RocketChainsawAU

We've only done a handful of video reviews, and with the exception of two they're all done by me. And those two exceptions are duo reviews, where I'm still involved. We've got no console capture tools (we should, but we're lazy), so we can only video review PC stuff, and I'm more or less the only major PC gamer on the staff.

Our Crysis 3 review is almost 26 minutes, which is way too excessive. The shorter snappier ones always seem to get more views.

Sweet. Went ahead and subbed.

antitrop

Awesome to hear. I've considered moving up in those parts for a change of scenery. Good to know I could still get some of that western vibes up there that I get in AZ.

Ya, this is a picture of Cripple Creek from just a few years ago. If it weren't for the modern vehicles it would look a lot more authentic.
KuGsj.gif
The entire town is just this one street, pretty much. This is where the first piece of gold was found in 1890 that started the Colorado gold rush. $500,000,000 worth was dug out from here.

Ya, this is a picture of Cripple Creek from just a few years ago. If it weren't for the modern vehicles it would look a lot more authentic.
KuGsj.gif
The entire town is just this one street, pretty much. It's awesome.

It has a beautiful backdrop too.

I live in Oklahoma and it's mostly flatland, which is kind of a bummer.

KuGsj.gif
The entire town is just this one street, pretty much. This is where the first piece of gold was found in 1890 that started the Colorado gold rush.

Reminds me of the town about 20 minutes from me. Historic mining town Bisbee, Arizona.

bisbee-arizonaStreet-630x386.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
Funny, it's the second Techland game I play on PC (the other one was the original Dead Island) and both games have screwed up Gamma test in the settings. Both games, if I actually follow the instructions (aka left logo invisible and right logo barely visible) the game is WAYYYYYY too bright. It's fine if I use the default value but I can't see anything in the gamma test.

antitrop

Funny, it's the second Techland game I play on PC (the other one was the original Dead Island) and both games have screwed up Gamma test in the settings. Both games, if I actually follow the instructions (aka left logo invisible and right logo barely visible) the game is WAYYYYYY too bright. It's fine if I use the default value but I can't see anything in the gamma test.
Oh, I thought that was just me.

I need to learn to keep my video reviews short and concise like this. My Last Light review borderlines on 10 minute :/.

AngryJoe reviews seem to clock in at around 20 minutes average, and he gets 500,000 to 1,000,000 views per video :p But he puts in a lot of work and I guess he has quite the fanbase.

Just saying, length doesn't matter so much as content :) If it's interesting, I'll easily watch a 40 minute review on a game.

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't try the gamma test. Some games I have to turn up, but I think everything was pretty much perfect even at night with the default for me.

Zocano

I want to ask which platform I should purchase this on. Like, Bound in Blood on a gamepad just added a lot just via the control scheme and the "stand offs" and the like but PC was my gut instinct because I've grown more used to PC controls recently (over the 360 which is what I would purchase this on otherwise). My intent is not to start some silly fighting over PC and whatnot, I would simply like to know if there is some tangible benefit to using the gamepad (and thusly I would purchase this on my 360 instead of on PC). I do not have a wired controller to use on my PC.

antitrop

I want to ask which platform I should purchase this on. Like, Bound in Blood on a gamepad just added a lot just via the control scheme and the "stand offs" and the like but PC was my gut instinct because I've grown more used to PC controls recently (over the 360 which is what I would purchase this on otherwise). My intent is not to start some silly fighting over PC and whatnot, I would simply like to know if there is some tangible benefit to using the gamepad (and thusly I would purchase this on my 360 instead of on PC). I do not have a wired controller to use on my PC.

After the patch that was released today I recommend the PC version wholeheartedly. I think this game really benefits from having 60fps for quick reaction times, being a twitch arcade shooter and all.

They patched in functionality to specifically set Duel Mouse Sensitivity separately from regular Mouse Sensitivity, which is huge. Before that I was using a Mouse to play the game, and then a controller to do the duels. Not a problem anymore.

Blizzard

Banned
You can use both wired and wireless controller on PC I think, but you would need the wireless receiver for PC.

If you have a decent PC I would say go that route. It will leave you with the option to use a controller in the future as well, as well as any future patches to the game, adjustable FOV, options for using downsampling or SweetFX if you are that sort of person, 60 fps (I could run pretty much the entire game at max settings even on an old e8400 and 5850), high resolution, and so forth.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Just jumping in to say "I'm loving this game"!
I'm a sucker for anything set in the old west and really enjoyed the first two CoJ games but wasn't expecting this to be this good.
Downloaded the trial version just to check it out and was convinced in the first several minutes.

I miss these simple FPS games. Give me some well designed corridors and some right gunplay and I am a happy gamer.
Sometimes this industry reaches too far and misses the sweet spot. This hits it for me.

Not only is this game just pure distilled awesome in terms of lean and mean gunplay, but holy shit is the narration and general writing top shelf or what!? Absolutely one of the finest efforts in recent memory.

Andrew.

Banned
Bout to start my third run and I still haven't touched Arcade Mode yet. I can't get enough. This game is delivering in spades.

That was good, I really liked that rewind from the other good game :) Speaking of the narration change, shooting those chickens near the barn changes the dialog too.

great job with the review!

Hah, loved the beginning :D

Your YouTube reviews have actually made the short list of reviews I care about.

Good work dude. Keep em coming.

Thanks guys! It's feedback such as this that keeps me coming back to do more. I know the whole cowboy narration and talk wasn't conventional but I figure I gotta keep this fun as well. Doing the same style review can and does get repetitive. I also HAD to do something with the whole reversal thing. That aspect of the game absolutely floor me and I'm surprised more games haven't done something similar over the years. :D

O.DOGG

Started my third run on Old West difficulty. The game is as fresh as it was when i played it the first time. It's funny but due to its length I can see myself playing this again and again without getting tired of it.

Okay, I bit. Watched the review. I think it sums up the game very well. Pretty short and concise. I guess that's all that's needed. Also pointed out what I hated the most about it - duel controls. Just. Blah. Everything else was pretty great.

I'm still hoping someone like AngryJoe will tackle it and give it the attention it deserves.

Jhoan

I played the demo last night and loved it. The shooting and feedback that you get from shooting enemies in the head is so good. I also like the narration as well. The visuals look fantastic as well. I feel mighty tempted to plunk down 1200 MSP for it even though I rarely buy XBLA games at $15 until it goes on sale since I usually wait a couple of months for it to be on sale before biting.

Between Blood Dragon and this game's trial, I think I enjoyed this game's trial a lot more since it gave me enough that it has me intrigued. The former was pretty funny, but it didn't have that same satisfying feedback that this game does.

Blizzard

Banned
I played the demo last night and loved it. The shooting and feedback that you get from shooting enemies in the head is so good. I also like the narration as well. The visuals look fantastic as well. I feel mighty tempted to plunk down 1200 MSP for it even though I rarely buy XBLA games at $15 until it goes on sale since I usually wait a couple of months for it to be on sale before biting.

Between Blood Dragon and this game's trial, I think I enjoyed this game's trial a lot more since it gave me enough that it has me intrigued. The former was pretty funny, but it didn't have that same satisfying feedback that this game has.
This game also gets pretty funny in places, in my opinion. The writing and voice acting are quite well done.

Jhoan

This game also gets pretty funny in places, in my opinion. The writing and voice acting are quite well done.

I might just bite the bullet (pun not intended) then and unlock it then. Just saw Slasher Thrasher's review (which are always great) and loved the Blood Dragon rewind. That was funny. I suppose I can get both since I have 3700 MSP but I dunno since I feel like a good sale might come along next month.

Andrew.

Banned
I might just bite the bullet (pun not intended) then and unlock it then. Just saw Slasher Thrasher's review (which are always great) and loved the Blood Dragon rewind. That was funny. I suppose I can get both since I have 3700 MSP but I dunno since I feel like a good sale might come along next month.

And this game isn't a good sale/deal because?

Just buy the fucking game dude =P

Blizzard

Banned
If you mean Steam sale then yes it might have a discount (I'd guess no more than 50%) during the Steam summer sale. Since you mentioned XBLA I have no idea how sales run on those. I'd say get it now if you like arcade shooters and you feel in the mood for a wild west aesthetic game. If you don't want to play it now, then waiting on a sale is always a money-saving measure, sure. :) I think it's worth the money, and I'd way rather pay this than $50+ on a new release.

Alright, game bought. I won't play it until this weekend (got Vanquish to finish), but I figured I'd buy it sooner rather than later. Doing my part in fluffing up the initial sales numbers so Ubisoft gets the message we want more of this #occupyubisoft

Blizzard

Banned
has the studdering issue been fixed?

still is wonky for me/

i7 3770k @3.9
gtx 680x2 sli
16 gig ram
I don't know if it really affected me, but I have seen comments that it is at least (much?) better after the patch on Steam. If you're still having it, try turning SLI off and then running the game. I think some games don't play well with SLI.

Alright, game bought. I won't play it until this weekend (got Vanquish to finish), but I figured I'd buy it sooner rather than later. Doing my part in fluffing up the initial sales numbers so Ubisoft gets the message we want more of this #occupyubisoft
I just wanted to say your avatar is amazing, and I was going to say that as an Advance Wars fan even before I realized that neotank + neogaf = funny.

*edit* Unrelated note, watching a random trailer, apparently the Wilhelm scream is in the game when someone falls off the train? I didn't even notice, haha.

Jhoan

And this game isn't a good sale/deal because?

Just buy the fucking game dude =P

If you mean Steam sale then yes it might have a discount (I'd guess no more than 50%) during the Steam summer sale. Since you mentioned XBLA I have no idea how sales run on those. I'd say get it now if you like arcade shooters and you feel in the mood for a wild west aesthetic game. If you don't want to play it now, then waiting on a sale is always a money-saving measure, sure. :) I think it's worth the money, and I'd way rather pay this than $50+ on a new release.

All right, I caved and just bought it. I'm on the 360 so yeah. I do love Arcade shooters; this game gave me a Bullet Storm vibe which I also loved. I thought about people pay 60 bucks for a shooter that has a 4-6 hour campaign so I agree that 15 bucks is pretty damn good for the price. It also has some lasting appeal like NG+ which always great. I don't think I'm going to regret it.

I just wanted to say your avatar is amazing, and I was going to say that as an Advance Wars fan even before I realized that neotank + neogaf = funny.

Thanks!

I always wonder how many people get the joke and how many people think it means 'were neogaf we fight for the videogame industry amiright guys?'. I fear there are more of the latter category.

Andrew.

Banned
Thanks!

I always wonder how many people get the joke and how many people think it means 'were neogaf we fight for the videogame industry amiright guys?'. I fear there are more of the latter category.

Nah I thought it was out of Metal Slug and you were just being creative with the logo

Picked this up on PS3 the other night after watching that lengthy launch trailer on PSN. This game is so awesome. My sentiments echo everyone else's in here.

Not only is this game just pure distilled awesome in terms of lean and mean gunplay, but holy shit is the narration and general writing top shelf or what!? Absolutely one of the finest efforts in recent memory.

It's a quality package all round. Great writing, voice acting, and music. It looks good, plays well and is just a hell of a lot of fun!

antitrop

Okay, I bit. Watched the review. I think it sums up the game very well. Pretty short and concise. I guess that's all that's needed. Also pointed out what I hated the most about it - duel controls. Just. Blah. Everything else was pretty great.

I'm still hoping someone like AngryJoe will tackle it and give it the attention it deserves.

I'm sure TotalBiscuit will now that the patch has been released. I've seen him tweet about the game, he's certainly aware of it (and the issues prior to said patch).

I get the feeling Joe would love this game, as well. Well, I mean, is there really anyone that doesn't love it? The response to this game has been almost universally positive.

Top Bottom